Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MadDogDunne

Noob Destroyer Captain Questions

15 comments in this topic

Members
16 posts
144 battles

I am using my DD as a torp monster, but have a few questions only a nub can ask.

1- What is the best torp in the game assuming I require fast reload (torp detection isn't an issue for me)?

2- What is the best platform for that torp (assuming ship concealment and maneuvering is my priority)?

3- If you feel awesome in a boat, how important is the tier?

4- What in your opinion, is the most balanced platform for a torp boat?

Thanks ahead of time, 

MadDog

[CVA16]
Members
2,301 posts
9,880 battles

OK, lots of missing info.

What tier are you talking about.

Historically, the IJN DDs have been the most torp dependant DDs in the game. They often have better torps and concealment than their contemporaries with with worse guns.

The new Pan-Asian line has better guns, great smoke and good torps with the caveat that those torps can't hit other DDs.

Most of the other lines are more gun based. The Russians especially have torps more as an afterthought, although they may carry a lot of them.

If you find a ship you like, that fits your playstyle, then you have probably already found your favored line.

• Cool 1

Members
16 posts
144 battles
24 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

OK, lots of missing info.

What tier are you talking about.

Historically, the IJN DDs have been the most torp dependant DDs in the game. They often have better torps and concealment than their contemporaries with with worse guns.

The new Pan-Asian line has better guns, great smoke and good torps with the caveat that those torps can't hit other DDs.

Most of the other lines are more gun based. The Russians especially have torps more as an afterthought, although they may carry a lot of them.

If you find a ship you like, that fits your playstyle, then you have probably already found your favored line.

When I asked the question, I was in a Wilkes but have now moved up to the Clemson. I find the fast reload fits my style and the torpedo speed and damage does as well. 

My questions were more related to end game not present game. Grinding sucks and I want to be properly focused for my playstyle, all torps

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
351 posts
9,390 battles

1. Assuming you just want always fast reload at end tier (T10) Z-52

2. If you about positioning, any of the DD will do other than the Khab

3. Keep what ever you feel good in since it let you build a basis on how to play and also a silver/credit farmer

4. I would say Gearing is a decent jack of all trade since it has good guns and torpedo's tho the torpedo reload rate might turn you off?

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,664 posts
25,785 battles

Clemson is a much better boat than Wickes. It is a monster at T4 when played well.

That said, Isokaze has better torpedoes and concealment, as most IJN DDs do, so it works out of stealth. Clemson is a gunboat with good (albeit short) torpedoes. So is the Izyaslav, also a good ship for the tier.

DDs come in different flavors. You said you want to be a torpedo monster. That points more to the IJN DD line. Not as easy to play well but extremely powerful when driven by a knowledgeable driver. Isokaze is very good. Minekaze (and all the Premium sisters) are excellent at T5. The line gets better in almost every tier, having Yugumo at T9 as probably the best of the line.

USN gunboats are powerful but the torpedoes are lacking until T9 (Fletcher, arguably the best DD of them all). Guns are good, excellent RoF but slow shells so very floaty, and fire chance is very low. They change from Clemson to T5 Nicholas, a different type of boat. That is when you start seeing the very floaty shells, more than in Clemson IMO. The line does improve at every step, getting to Benson at T8, but still the torpedoes are not that great (till Fletcher) at T9.

Then you have the Russian and German DDs, completely different beats. RU: fast and accurate guns, slow turrets, short but powerful torps. Very fast boats, with awful concealment, with the likes of Kiev, Udaloi, and Khabarovsk being in a class by themselves. I skip Gnevny and Ognevoi from the list because they are sub-par. Grozovoi is very good but not better than their counterparts.

KM has a more balanced approach, with good guns and torps, adding sonar later on up the line. They do not excel at anything, but are very solid at all tiers, with the best IMO being the Z line at T-8-T10 where the T10 is a quasi-monster to reckon with.

Then you have the new Pan Asian line. A mixed bag as every tier is different, mixing and switching from British to USN to Russian designs. All share interesting smoke and their defining characteristic are the deep water torpedoes.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles
2 hours ago, MadDogDunne said:

I am using my DD as a torp monster, but have a few questions only a nub can ask.

1- What is the best torp in the game assuming I require fast reload (torp detection isn't an issue for me)?

2- What is the best platform for that torp (assuming ship concealment and maneuvering is my priority)?

3- If you feel awesome in a boat, how important is the tier?

4- What in your opinion, is the most balanced platform for a torp boat?

Thanks ahead of time, 

MadDog

If all you want to do with a DD is torp, then IJN is your huckleberry. There is a lot more to playing a DD than torps though.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
1,762 posts
848 battles
5 hours ago, alexf24 said:

Clemson is a much better boat than Wickes. It is a monster at T4 when played well.

That said, Isokaze has better torpedoes and concealment, as most IJN DDs do, so it works out of stealth. Clemson is a gunboat with good (albeit short) torpedoes. So is the Izyaslav, also a good ship for the tier.

DDs come in different flavors. You said you want to be a torpedo monster. That points more to the IJN DD line. Not as easy to play well but extremely powerful when driven by a knowledgeable driver. Isokaze is very good. Minekaze (and all the Premium sisters) are excellent at T5. The line gets better in almost every tier, having Yugumo at T9 as probably the best of the line.

USN gunboats are powerful but the torpedoes are lacking until T9 (Fletcher, arguably the best DD of them all). Guns are good, excellent RoF but slow shells so very floaty, and fire chance is very low. They change from Clemson to T5 Nicholas, a different type of boat. That is when you start seeing the very floaty shells, more than in Clemson IMO. The line does improve at every step, getting to Benson at T8, but still the torpedoes are not that great (till Fletcher) at T9.

Then you have the Russian and German DDs, completely different beats. RU: fast and accurate guns, slow turrets, short but powerful torps. Very fast boats, with awful concealment, with the likes of Kiev, Udaloi, and Khabarovsk being in a class by themselves. I skip Gnevny and Ognevoi from the list because they are sub-par. Grozovoi is very good but not better than their counterparts.

KM has a more balanced approach, with good guns and torps, adding sonar later on up the line. They do not excel at anything, but are very soldi at all tiers, with the best IMO being the Z line at T-8-T10 where the T10 is a quasi monster to reckon with.

Then you have a new Pan Asian line. A mixed bag as every tier is different, mixing and switching from British to USN to Russian designs. All share interesting smoke and their defining characteristic are the deep water torpedoes.

^This. Well said my friend

• Cool 1

Members
16 posts
144 battles

Thanks for all the great replies Captains!

After all the great input and info plus my own further research, I think I'm going with KM :-)

Edited by MadDogDunne

Members
16 posts
144 battles
22 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

If all you want to do with a DD is torp, then IJN is your huckleberry. There is a lot more to playing a DD than torps though.

Thanks matey, I do understand there is a lot more to it and am looking forward to progressing through the tiers and honing some mad DD skills!

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles
1 minute ago, MadDogDunne said:

Thanks matey, I do understand there is a lot more to it and am looking forward to progressing through the tiers and honing some mad DD skills!

Good luck and fair RNG's.

• Cool 1

Members
16 posts
144 battles
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:44 PM, alexf24 said:

USN gunboats are powerful but the torpedoes are lacking until T9 (Fletcher, arguably the best DD of them all). Guns are good, excellent RoF but slow shells so very floaty, and fire chance is very low. They change from Clemson to T5 Nicholas, a different type of boat. That is when you start seeing the very floaty shells, more than in Clemson IMO. The line does improve at every step, getting to Benson at T8, but still the torpedoes are not that great (till Fletcher) at T9

When you say "floaty", I am assuming that means a high arc. Is this accurate?

[WMD]
Members
182 posts
5,198 battles
21 minutes ago, MadDogDunne said:

Thanks for all the great replies Captains!

After all the great input and info plus my own further research, I think I'm going with KM :-)

Power through the mid tiers, they can be hard to enjoy but the Z series are very fun. My Z 52 is a beast even though I'm a below average player. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles
12 minutes ago, MadDogDunne said:

Yes, they do a fly by of the space station before they land. Great for shooting over Islands. With most of them using the captains skill to extend their range is a waste of 4 captains points.

• Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,664 posts
25,785 battles
59 minutes ago, MadDogDunne said:

Correct.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

what works at t4 will not work at higher tiers.   at high tier, it becomes more of a scouting, capping game more than  torpedo jousting.    most of reload are   in the 70sec and up to 2 min  depending on launcher size.    3 is faster than 5 tube type.     at t7,   akatsuki  has triple launcher that is relatively fast reloading.    all the rest have bigger launcher taking longer time to reload. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this