You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HMCS_Devilfish

MM change!!

174 comments in this topic

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles

WOWS!!!!!!!! .. finally a MM change for 2018:Smile_great:

its just not a fair fight to battle ships 2 tiers higher,:Smile_amazed:some of my favorite Cruiser ships are Mid tier and I rarely play them now because of your bad MM... not sure what your logic is here but you were about to loose this wallet Warrior until I read the changes to MM in 2018

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[SUCIT]
Members
825 posts
3,621 battles
12 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

WOWS!!!!!!!! .. finally a MM change for 2018:Smile_great:

its just not a fair fight to battle ships 2 tiers higher,:Smile_amazed:some of my favorite Cruiser ships are Mid tier and I rarely play them now because of your bad MM... not sure what your logic is here but you were about to loose this wallet Warrior until I read the changes to MM in 2018

Source?

[PVE]
Members
5,618 posts
18,209 battles

This is really good news for those of us advocating for a change to matchmaker, personally I feel vindicated. With the forum posters evenly split on the subject, and Wargaming saying it wasn't an issue, I had little hope that they would address it. This is exciting stuff, I am looking forward to seeing a change and with any luck, it will stick. My worries are the same as many who supported +2/-2 matchmaking had about queue times getting longer but I suppose if they become too extreme, they could change it back and the supporters will be the ones vindicated. Changing it to see what happens will be a grand experiment and if it fails, it will be a no brainer to go back to +2/-2. 

News section Xplict:

Yeah can't find the link now. Read it last night on Reddit. Sorry for the bad link/ 

Edited by Taylor3006

[YARRR]
Members
401 posts
4,759 battles

I'll believe it when I actually experience it.

Otherwise it's just some guy posting on the interwebs.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles
2 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Source?

There was a link to upcoming 2018  changes by Wows which I neglected to copy, I’m sure someone will find it and post

[PROJX]
Members
969 posts
15,734 battles
6 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Source?

Saw what the OP is referring to in a Daily Bounce article on WG’s plans for 2018.  Don’t have the link offhand, but scroll a bit down the forum posts and you’ll find a post referring to what’s in store for 2018 & it’s supplied there.

Edited by hangglide42

[OPG]
Members
3,971 posts
5,678 battles

I think he's referring to this...

https://thedailybounce.net/2017/12/23/wargaming-fest-2017-world-of-warships-2018-plans/ 

Work is needed on Aircraft Carriers, MM balance system needs an upgrade because most players have unlocked high tier ships, etc. For example, if a player went into battle with a Tier V ship and all the other ships were sixes and sevens, this would cause a lot of frustration. Wargaming will try to make these happen as rarely as possible. Detonations also need rework, as not many players like to detonate at the beginning of the battle from an accidental shell.

That is still very vague wording, and still implies +/-2 MM won't be going anywhere.  

*edit

And of course this is just a leak and very noncommittal.  I wouldn't get your hopes up too much until WG officially announces something concrete.  

Edited by yashma
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,832 posts
9,582 battles
3 minutes ago, yashma said:

https://thedailybounce.net/2017/12/23/wargaming-fest-2017-world-of-warships-2018-plans/ 

That is still very vague wording, and still implies +/-2 MM won't be going anywhere.  

*edit

Just undo the T4 and down MM changes and the problem is solved. 

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,034 battles

So it has only taken them two years to see that the 3 tier MM, is maybe not such a great concept to stick with and that the MM is why most people don't stick with the game for very long. The article only says that it is frustrating being in a tier 5 with 6's and 7's and that they are going to try to minimize the occurrence. It sounds like they are passing the gravy but just don't want to let go of the gravy boat. It also sounds like they are trying to make some kind of complicated algorithm to minimize the chances, instead of just flipping the switch and making it a 2 tier match maker. It still remains to be seen what they do. Sometimes WG seems to do great and sometimes it seems that they could F-up a one cow cattle drive.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SUCIT]
Members
825 posts
3,621 battles
21 minutes ago, yashma said:

*edit

And of course this is just a leak and very noncommittal.  I wouldn't get your hopes up too much until WG officially announces something concrete.  

I see, ty.  I don't think +/-2 will ever be leaving, but I really don't have much of a problem with it.  I think a lot of people just have confirmation bias about when they play poorly, and try to blame it on the MM.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 2

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

So it has only taken them two years to see that the 3 tier MM, is maybe not such a great concept to stick with and that the MM is why most people don't stick with the game for very long. The article only says that it is frustrating being in a tier 5 with 6's and 7's and that they are going to try to minimize the occurrence. It sounds like they are passing the gravy but just don't want to let go of the gravy boat. It also sounds like they are trying to make some kind of complicated algorithm to minimize the chances, instead of just flipping the switch and making it a 2 tier match maker.

My thoughts are Wows wants players to move up to those Vll ships your facing in a V and there may be some newbie merit or $$ insentive for Wows to have MM that way but players like me who have ships from l-X and like Mid Tier Cruiser play but now rarely play it because of so much bad frustrating MM

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles
3 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

I think a lot of people just have confirmation bias about when they play poorly, and try to blame it on the MM.

So totally agree it is not funny.

• Cool 2

[OPG]
Members
3,971 posts
5,678 battles
9 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

So it has only taken them two years to see that the 3 tier MM, is maybe not such a great concept to stick with and that the MM is why most people don't stick with the game for very long. The article only says that it is frustrating being in a tier 5 with 6's and 7's and that they are going to try to minimize the occurrence. It sounds like they are passing the gravy but just don't want to let go of the gravy boat. It also sounds like they are trying to make some kind of complicated algorithm to minimize the chances, instead of just flipping the switch and making it a 2 tier match maker.

+/-2 has never been the problem.  The problem is Tier 3 and 4 gets protected MM which thoroughly screws over Tiers 5,6 and 8.  Because Tier 5 and 6 can not see ships two tiers lower, more of them get dragged into the 5-7 bracket.  With the 5-7 bracket so over saturated, Tier 8 ships are then thrown into Tier 10 MM more often than not.

Most ships in this game are more than capable of fighting ships 2 tiers higher.  The  problem is nobody likes being bottom tier every game.  

• Cool 6

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles
4 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

I see, ty.  I don't think +/-2 will ever be leaving, but I really don't have much of a problem with it.  I think a lot of people just have confirmation bias about when they play poorly, and try to blame it on the MM.

So you like battling against ships that shoot further with more guns ? Are faster ? Better armor? Possibly radar?... I have those ships and find no sport in battling ships 2 tiers below me and in reverse If I’m playing them I like a level playing field

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,358 battles
29 minutes ago, yashma said:

*edit

Yeah when I read that I got the impression that they will try to go for a MM that will try to bias towards an even spread of top/middle/bottom tier, instead of the current iteration where tier 5 is almost always bottom tier.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,034 battles
1 minute ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

My thoughts are Wows wants players to move up to those Vll ships your facing in a V and there may be some newbie merit or $$ insentive for Wows to have MM that way but players like me who have ships from l-X and like Mid Tier Cruiser play but now rarely play it because of so much bad frustrating MM

Well one thing for sure if they are going to have 3 tier battles it should be across the whole MM. Protecting the 3rd and 4rth tier was a mistake in my book. They should either make it a 3 tier battle system or a two tier battle system and not be so wishy washy.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,727 battles

Queue times would barely be affected moving to -1/+1.  The concern is will it make the game a little more stale by seeing more of the same ships?  The way to get around that is more lines of ships which is something they have a lot more of than they did even a year ago and will only get better over time.  The problem with -2/+2 is the psychology.  People remember more and get more emotionally upset over being bottom tier than when they are middle or high tier so that even if they get the same amount of occurrences, it "feels" like they are bottom tier more often and that results in a higher attrition rate (people leaving the game or playing less).

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Well one thing for sure if they are going to have 3 tier battles it should be across the whole MM. Protecting the 3rd and 4rth tier was a mistake in my book. They should either make it a 3 tier battle system or a two tier battle system and not be so wishy washy.

Another thing they could do is give us a MM choice of waiting in quene a tad longer for same tier battles 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,034 battles
3 minutes ago, yashma said:

+/-2 has never been the problem.  The problem is Tier 3 and 4 gets protected MM which thoroughly screws over Tiers 5,6 and 8.  Because Tier 5 and 6 can not see ships two tiers lower, more of them get dragged into the 5-7 bracket.  With the 5-7 bracket so over saturated, Tier 8 ships are then thrown into Tier 10 MM more often than not.

Most ships in this game are more than capable of fighting ships 2 tiers higher.  The  problem is nobody likes being bottom tier every game.  

I fully agree. You can have one or the other but both really is stupid. I think that it is just hard for WG to admit that they were wrong. It is us that they have to make happy for us to stay and play their game, they just don't seem to listen to the people who pay their bills and feed their families. They have the golden goose, but if they don't feed it, they are not going to get those golden eggs for long.

[EQRN]
Members
342 posts
8,943 battles

You’re a T5 in a T7 match.  There’s probably another T5 on the other team.  One of you wins, one of you loses.  How does that change with +/- 1 MM?  Is one’s win rate going to climb drastically?  One will contribute more, not die as early, but same will be true for the other guy.  So the MM complaints are about what you get out of a match, nothing to do with winning, right?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SUCIT]
Members
825 posts
3,621 battles
6 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

So you like battling against ships that shoot further with more guns ? Are faster ? Better armor? Possibly radar?... I have those ships and find no sport in battling ships 2 tiers below me and in reverse If I’m playing them I like a level playing field

Read 

8 minutes ago, yashma said:

Every ship I can think of shouldn't have any issues with playing up two tiers as long as they are played right.  I have multiple T10's and have done the grind multiple times.  Even in some of the "weak" ships of lines that I've completed, I haven't had any issues with MM.  I would much rather have a BB and DD limit per team then go to +/-1 for MM.  If you're in a BB against 6-7 DD's, you're practically irrelevant.  If you're a Cleveland against a North Carolina, you can still poke and burn him to death.  

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,034 battles
3 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

You’re a T5 in a T7 match.  There’s probably another T5 on the other team.  One of you wins, one of you loses.  How does that change with +/- 1 MM?  Is one’s win rate going to climb drastically?  One will contribute more, not die as early, but same will be true for the other guy.  So the MM complaints are about what you get out of a match, nothing to do with winning, right?

Maybe the losing tier 5 would have been in the game longer if it didn't get insta deleted by the tier 7. Do you really think a tier 5 DD is ready to combat radar? Get off your high horse and walk with your feet on the ground once.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,727 battles
1 minute ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Another thing they could do is give us a MM choice of waiting in quene a tad longer for same tier battles 

A lot of people would be in favor of that and it wouldn't affect those that aren't because they can choose the old way.  Those that choose not to wait any longer can still be just as easily tossed into those matches so they aren't bottom or even middle tier either.