You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DemonW0lf

What would you buy? 40 Santa's Mega Gifts or something else?

9 comments in this topic

[IHW]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
185 posts

So I made a mistake last week and converted mostly all my free xp to purchase the Missouri. Now don't get me wrong the ship is great as seen in a battle last night I just totally forgot about the 35 xp conversion that would be happening after Christmas. Anyway I am debating at the moment what to purchase. I can either buy 40 of those santa's mega gifts the year of premium or the why not both bundle. In terms of premium ships I already own its located at the bottom. I am thinking that I should get the why not both bundle because it contains 25k doubloons which over here in Canada is $125.99 by itself and then premium for another month is normally $15.86  and then you throw in Scharnhorst at $38.04 and you pretty much save money. Yes I know the 40 box's can get me more ships but without the doubloons well you kinda can't convert any of that ship xp. The year of premium is nice to have as well so I'm not sure what to do at the moment. Anyway I am going to think this over the next few hours so post your opinions below.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Members
2,122 posts

This year is a total gamble on what you get. Last year I would say 100% get the boxes. The doubloons is a sure thing. If you don't need flag or camo.

[TDD]
Members
905 posts
7,942 battles

i bought one 20X mega and one 20X big and got 4 ships 10k gold and a ton of flags... I made my money back and more I'm satisfied... I will probably splurge and go for a trifecta and get 20X of the regular boxes too.

[PROJX]
Members
969 posts
15,721 battles

You might be able to have the best of both worlds - WG has put the Premium ships that got swapped into the permanent tech tree on sale for its usual 50%/30%/15% discount depending on Tier.  If there are any in that set that you want, you can buy the bundle getting the gold & Premium time, and use some of the gold to pick up Premiums you want on sale  with certainty.

[4HIM]
Members
1,800 posts
4,069 battles

I've probably been overly vocal in how bad the crates have been for me.  5 Megas and 30 Bigs, only ship I have to show for it is the Gallant, which is kind of a 'mehbote'.  My luck has apparently been at the bottom end of the curve.  I've seen posts from about two others who saw a lower drop rate for ships.  If you've had better luck, maybe go with it.  Others were seeing a ship every four crates.  Had I seen that rate I'd have had at least four more ships. 

So I'd go with the sure thing if the ships you want are in the tree.  Only reason I bought crates was it was my only opportunity to buy a few ships I've always wanted but aren't on the tree.  All I got was one that's on the tree that I had no desire for.

Edited by ZARDOZ_II

[WJDC]
Members
1,219 posts
7,554 battles

40 Mega is $150, for that money you can get 65 of the Bigs, and from what people have reported the mid-level boxes pay out better... 65 Big should net you 9 to 10 ships and 20-30k gold, but YMMV and IANAL.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
40 minutes ago, DemonW0lf said:

So I made a mistake last week and converted mostly all my free xp to purchase the Missouri. Now don't get me wrong the ship is great as seen in a battle last night I just totally forgot about the 35 xp conversion that would be happening after Christmas. Anyway I am debating at the moment what to purchase. I can either buy 40 of those santa's mega gifts the year of premium or the why not both bundle. In terms of premium ships I already own its located at the bottom. I am thinking that I should get the why not both bundle because it contains 25k doubloons which over here in Canada is $125.99 by itself and then premium for another month is normally $15.86  and then you throw in Scharnhorst at $38.04 and you pretty much save money. Yes I know the 40 box's can get me more ships but without the doubloons well you kinda can't convert any of that ship xp. The year of premium is nice to have as well so I'm not sure what to do at the moment. Anyway I am going to think this over the next few hours so post your opinions below.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

If you want some specific ships, just buy those specific ships at a discount.  You'll be better off.

From what I've seen, premium time drops in the boxes are pretty rare.

Flags and camo are most common. . . but they're a good way to get them if that's what you're interested in.

It's fun to open boxes though.  Just realize if you're doing it for something specific, you will likely walk away disappointed.

Members
2,122 posts

I did the math on the "Why not both" bundle and it's about $216 which is more then WG claims. So if you got the Duke free and the duplicate gave you doubloons. Then that package is worth it. You can then spend that money on other ships in the tech tree, prem time or conversion. 

P.S.

You also get a head start on the other missions.

Edited by MorbidGamer

[IHW]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
185 posts

ok so I decided to buy 20 of the bigs and heres the results:

1) 15 x Ouroboros signals

2) 15x frosty fir tree camo

3) 15x frosty fir tree camo

4)15x frosty fir tree camo

5) Leningrad plus 10 point captain (worth around 5250 Doubloons reg price)

6) 15x dragon signals

7) 15x dragon signals

8)15x dragon signals

9) 15x dragon signals

10) Okhotnik plus 10 point captain (worth around 2700 Doubloons reg price)

11) 1000 Doubloons

12)15x hydra

13)1000 Doubloons

14)15x ouroboros signals

15)15x Red Dragon Signals

16) 1000 Doubloons

17) 15x Ouroboros signals

18) 1000 Doubloons

19) 15x Hydra Signals

20) 15x Dragon Signals

So overall ignoring the signals I got around 11950 Doubloons worth of stuff which if I bought the doubloons by itself normally would cost : $64.97 and I paid $60.47 so overall I came out ahead I guess. I think I might still go with the bundle when looking at these results. The main reason why I went ahead and took a gamble on the big box's is because I did super well in my beta battle a few minutes ago.

Untitled.jpg