You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
bigbearbeear

New Orleans gind via Co-op

47 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
285 posts
5,272 battles

I've recently bought the US tier 8 cruiser, New Orleans, and is having a bit of hard time making it profitable in Co-op play.  I mainly play co-op as it is more relaxed and I enjoy it more.  However, while I thought the Pensacola was difficult to grind through, it did had the advantage of being available for use in the scenario Narai which makes a lot of credits and xp.

When playing the New Orleans, the service and ammo cost run into the 60k credit range and I find myself either making very little credits or losing a little after a victory.

I have premium time.  Want to check with you guys who have done it via co-op grinding, how did you work your way through New Orleans?  The only way I've found to be consistently profitable is to use signal flags and I do have a bunch of them after getting the recently 360 premium time deal.  What I've been doing though, is to jump back into a tier 7 premium US cruiser Atlanta with the captain and drive it for a few games to bring in a bunch of credits, then transfer the captain back to New Orleans and continue to work through it.

It works, and the Atlanta is a fun ship to drive, but I'm wondering if there are other ways.  Thanks.

Members
381 posts
25 battles

I think you answer your own question here. As a co-op main. I break even or lose at tier 8 too. I don't run premium time however. So tier 8 that I will play are the one I really enjoy, then I make up for credit elsewhere.

I believe Co-op got reduced repair bill already. (70% of PvP) It's confuse the hell out of me when my Takao cost to repair as much as Atago (on the wiki) despite premium ship should cost lower. It is actual because I compare co-op Takao to normal (PvP)Atago cost

Edited by Hero_of_Zero
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,695 posts
18,273 battles

I do most of my ship grinds in Co-op as well. Not a fan of the New Orleans, after grinding her upgrades, I pretty well just stopped playing her, just not that fun IMHO. Premium time and premium camo should help with credits. If you plan on keeping the NO, buy the permanent premium camo for her.

As always how much damage you do decides on how much you earn and with the NO it can be a problem in PvE mode. She does not fire fast enough to get much damage done before you get focused on by bots and blasted out of the water. If you play too passively, you don't score enough damage before the match is over. It is a real conundrum with the Pensacola and NO. You need to find a spot between aggressive play and passive play where you can survive long enough to farm damage before the match is over. Honestly the way I did it in co-op was to try and knock out the other cruisers in the match and when only the BBs were left, move towards them at an angle and go for the ram. Not the most elegant solution but it scored damage.

The only signals you need are the two economic ones, I forget their names.. The ones that give -10% service cost and the one that gives +20% credits. They are pretty easy to get, I think you can buy them as well. I wouldn't use any of the rare ones , hold on to those for missions where you need to farm credits to complete them. You may not get huge profits but you just want to stay in the black. I did the grind without using premium consumables, those cost way too much and you really don't need them in PvE play.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF5]
Members
285 posts
5,272 battles
6 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

As always how much damage you do decides on how much you earn and with the NO it can be a problem in PvE mode. She does not fire fast enough to get much damage done before you get focused on by bots and blasted out of the water. If you play too passively, you don't score enough damage before the match is over. It is a real conundrum with the Pensacola and NO. You need to find a spot between aggressive play and passive play where you can survive long enough to farm damage before the match is over. 

Yes, nicely said and thanks.  As a tier 8 cruisers, I frequently run into tier 9 and 10 battleships and those can fire at extremely long range with great accuracy by bots.

I guess I'm back to switching between the Atlanta to credit farm, and New Orleans for tech tree progression.

[PVE]
Members
5,695 posts
18,273 battles
11 minutes ago, bigbearbeear said:

Yes, nicely said and thanks.  As a tier 8 cruisers, I frequently run into tier 9 and 10 battleships and those can fire at extremely long range with great accuracy by bots.

I guess I'm back to switching between the Atlanta to credit farm, and New Orleans for tech tree progression.

She is a hard ship to play in PvE since the battle is down, dirty, and in your face. There is no finesse like PvP play and hiding behind islands and firing over them really isn't a strategy against the bots since they charge headlong into the fight. Rate of fire, armor, angling, etc is all that matters in co-op play and since most matches are in close quarters, lack of torpedoes really hurt her as well. I actually think she does better in PvP play since no one is charging at you at full speed to attack...  Anyway good luck to you!

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
465 posts
19,089 battles

I'd encourage you to try PvP again at the higher tiers. T-VIII to T-X is a very different animal from low or mid tiers. Yes, you'll have a few players that can make the shots that the bots make, but IF you're good at positioning and map awareness, it's alot easier to make credits (100K+ net) in random than high level co-op.

Now if you want to pay 3000 doubs for permanent camo, join a clan that has the service discounts and run the flags you can net 50-60k in Co-Op if you consistently do 70k+ damage, but remember the AVERAGE is 31k damage in PvP and you make at least double the credits for half the damage. And that's with running premium consumables in PvP.  

If you're having to run ATL games to supplement your NO games, then you're not saving any time and you're likely still making less commander XP and credits. 

Unless you're willing to put in ALOT of games after the ships have been elited, there's no way to grind T-VIII+ and progress up without playing premium/lower tier ships, running credit making camos (Gamescon especially) and/or credit flags to make enough credits to buy the next tier ship. You can grind for XP, but credits just don't work. There's a reason why everyone wants the Missouri.. Under T-VI you can play exclusively in Co-op and never have credit issues. Keep in mind I generally keep most ships past T-VI so I don't get 30-45% that I've put into the previous ship. 

Now if you're just playing to relax and you find that Co-Op does that, then find the ships that you enjoy and play them. Don't worry about grinding up the lines. 

• Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,254 posts
8,651 battles

I ground the Pensacola entirely in PvE and was planning to do so with the New Orleans... the trick is as usual to take advantage of the fact that the bots are always going to rush. Get behind an island on a flank, load AP, and try to limit line of sight and farm citadels as the bots go past. If there are a lot of BBs, you may have to play further back and either be kiting or shooting over islands... as long as the BBs ahead of you are close enough the bots should target them instead of you. If you're at least hitting average damage and kills you should be able to eke out a profit consistently even without premium. Don't forget that XP is proportional to percent damage done rather than raw damage.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
679 posts
3,853 battles

I have been primarily a coop player, but I finally ventured into PVP to finish my grind on Pensacola and I was pleasantly surprised. I was hearing how Pensacola was just a citadel back to port kind of ship and I’m just a potato so I didn’t want to throw myself to the Wolves.    But I was finding Pensacola a joy to play when it’s not bots raining down deadly accurate fire on you.    I was averaging 2400 XP in losses and gaining anywhere from 4000-5000xp in wins.  Somehow I managed a single 11000xp win during the grind.   So now I’ve got less than 8000xp to go to unlock New Orleans,   So I’m thinking about using coop to unlock the modules and then taking New Orleans after it’s upgraded out in pvp to grind to Baltimore.

Edit:

i see that you’re not in a clan.  If it’s because you only play coop or because you only play solo, may I suggest the Lone Wolves.   We don’t division and we don’t do team play.  We also take coop only players.   We’re just a group that collective pool,our oil and get the XP boosts nd post battle,credit reduction - it’s like running a permanent India Bravo Terrathree flag.  And the discount stacks if the clan has the dock, you run the flag and use a Camo that has a post battle discount.  So -30% post battle service discount.  The discount adds up.

anyways any of our 11 wolf clans you can check out WOLF1 through WOLF9 (numbers 1 through 9) WOLFX and WOLFB if you are interested.

Edited by wtfovr
  • Cool 1

Members
1,859 posts
17,674 battles
3 hours ago, bigbearbeear said:

I'm wondering if there are other ways

Wait until late at night when there's a lot of bots on your team & remember that friendly bots smoke as soon as they are spotted...follow the smoking meat shields.

Bots don't torp into smoke unless you are spotted...jump in their smoke & let them spot for you (best to try to take out that closest DD or they will torp each other out & you will lose spotting...but if that happens use your radar & make sure to take hydro). Make sure you have an island to duck behind for when the smoke clears so you aren't a sitting duck.

Also using ramming flags against BBs is a good idea...you'll get a better chance of taking them all the way out when you ram w/the flag making it easier for team to get a win if the BB can't get back into battle by healing...& winning doubles the base XP=more credits.

Don't equip any consumables except healing (or if you are dying before you even get to use the extra ones don't waste the credits on them either)...just use the free ones & you should be able to make a decent profit...or at least a little profit.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,966 posts
10,751 battles

I did Pensacola and New Orleans both in Co-op only. Wasn't hard to do Pensacola but New Orleans was harder and in full disclosure I did use some Free XP to finish New Orleans.  I played like 40 games in it and felt like it was a continuation of the Pensacola grind. Just not enough different or new, and nothing new to learn, so it became tedious. The ship itself is ok although lacking in damage potential unless you have something broadside with AP loaded. I don't skip ships when there is a reason to grind through them but New Orleans is just more of the same old same old as Pensacola. I ground out enough games to be sure of that and then just Free XP'd the rest. Had there been something truly different I would have earned all the XP to move to Baltimore in it vs using any Free XP other than on upgrades.

Yes, T8 in Co-op is hard to make resources. With just a 25% reduction to the service fee (been reported as the official stat from WG - true? seems it) but AT LEAST a 50-60% reduction in credits and XP given it is tough at high tier in Co-op. Through T6 you can play Co-op even with a free account but starting at T7 you at least need a Premium one. Then at T8 and beyond you need Premium time, perma camo's, and the -10% service fee flag and +20% credit flag. The 3 flags that boost XP, Free XP, and Commander XP also help a lot (you can get a package deal in the premium shop for these 5 flags for $14.99 and it has 100 of each ). You can also join a clan that has the building that provides a -10% to service fee bonus. That would help you too.

A HUGE help for grinding ships high up in Co-op is to use your Free XP on the upgrades. This is a big time saver as earning the XP to do the upgrades really prolongs things. It can take as long to research just the  upgrades on a T8 ship than it did to research the ship AND upgrades at T6.  As you climb tiers keep any and all ships you actually like to play.  Those elite ships can have their XP converted to Free XP with doubloons plus they will earn some Free XP as well. Same goes for Premium ships too. 

So to lessen the harshness of high tier Co-op...

• Premium Time
  • Permanent Camo
  • Signal Flags
  • Use Elite & Premium ships to build Free XP that aids in upgrading ships
  • Join Clan w/ -10% SF Bonus

It does call for a little real money investment on your part to proceed at the fastest rate and even to stay solvent once you hit T8 if you only play Co-op. If you don't want to or can't do that you will have to play a lot of low tier to make credits to cover your losses or just stop going higher. FWIW I am profitable at T8+ in Co-op with the above and have no problem climbing the ladder when I focus on a line I want to finish. I am to T10 in US and IJN BB and T9 in US Cruiser. I have many T7-T8 ships in other lines I am trying to get to T10 in (not as important as others so taking longer).

It can be done and you can play where you want and have fun. Will take longer and if you can drop a little coin now and then it will make it easier for you.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,966 posts
10,751 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Wait until late at night when there's a lot of bots on your team & remember that friendly bots smoke as soon as they are spotted...follow the smoking meat shields.

Bots don't torp into smoke unless you are spotted...jump in their smoke & let them spot for you (best to try to take out that closest DD or they will torp each other out & you will lose spotting...but if that happens use your radar & make sure to take hydro). Make sure you have an island to duck behind for when the smoke clears so you aren't a sitting duck.

Also using ramming flags against BBs is a good idea...you'll get a better chance of taking them all the way out when you ram w/the flag making it easier for team to get a win if the BB can't get back into battle by healing...& winning doubles the base XP=more credits.

Don't equip any consumables except healing (or if you are dying before you even get to use the extra ones don't waste the credits on them either)...just use the free ones & you should be able to make a decent profit...or at least a little profit.

1) the one in red I would personally say is bad advice. The enemy bots at high tiers are tough. The friendly green bots you get are horrible and calling them useless actually is a compliment to them. When you find yourself the only human or one of just a couple on the team it seldom goes well. The friendly bots all die right off leaving you alone vs a horde of berserker bots who never miss and will join up in a pack and hunt you down. A ship like New Orleans with it's slow rate of fire, mediocre gun range, long reloads, no torps, and meh survivability is at a big disadvantage in that case. Trust me I know. A Battleship with the ability to instantly delete a ship in 1 salvo and the tankiness to absorb long term damage is different. But a ship like No on a team of mostly bots is screwed 9 out of 10 times.

2) the one in blue I do agree with. Premium consumables are a waste in Co-op. The games just don't last long enough to use the extra charges most times. Even healing is a waste IMO unless they are ones you got out of crates for free. Just go with the standard consumables for Co-op. You can profit in Co-op all the way to T10 (and T10 may be most profitable of all with perma camo). You just need premium time, flags, and the perma camos. I only play Co-op and make profit at all tiers. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
607 posts
9,428 battles

There is another way, FXP your way through her. :Smile-_tongue:

As others have pointed out, having prem-acct, perm-camo, and flags, will help you net a gain.  Not taking prem-consumables will also help out quite a bit for creds (specially with ships with multiple prem-consumable options), but it is a double-edged sword.  From T8 and up, a non-prem account will suffer badly, were even placing top WELL ahead of 2nd place will still net you a loss.  Be lucky, as the repair/resupply costs used to be worse.  Having my Yamato sunk for 300k a pop back then, yeah, it can kind of cuts into the creds. :Smile_hiding:

A bit of advice:  Help focus the DD's.  This will mean that your DD's stay up longer, translating into Reds shooting them rather than you.  And stay back.  Let the bots get out ahead a bit. :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,695 posts
18,273 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

A HUGE help for grinding ships high up in Co-op is to use your Free XP on the upgrades. This is a big time saver as earning the XP to do the upgrades really prolongs things. It can take as long to research just the  upgrades on a T8 ship than it did to research the ship AND upgrades at T6.  As you climb tiers keep any and all ships you actually like to play.  Those elite ships can have their XP converted to Free XP with doubloons plus they will earn some Free XP as well. Same goes for Premium ships too. 

Thunder always has tons of great advice and information to share, on this however, I am going to disagree for only one reason. 

The further up the tech tree I went, the more my captains fell behind. I realized that moving too fast up the tiers was hamstringing my captains. I also made some other rather stupid mistakes like giving every ship its own captain including my premiums, and focusing on getting them to level 10. Ended up with lots of mediocre captains and only a couple of decent ones. Luckily I realized my mistake and focused on the captains and have steadily gotten 4 of them up to 19 points. If you are playing co-op I don't think you are in any hurry,  so using something as valuable as free xp to grind a ship or even getting it's upgrades, is a mistake. Save it for the freebies or to use to level up your captains. Depending on the tier of the ship, I manage to get around 1k of xp each game. A bit less for lower tiers of course, more for higher tiers, but I always tell myself it is 1k xp a game. When I see it costs say 40k to get the next hull, in my head I see that as 40 co-op games to get the upgrade but also 40k xp for my captain. Yes I know that xp and captain's xp are not the same but it is close enough for me and how I see things in the game. The grind sucks, even using free xp to move up the ship line, the grind still exists. Anything beyond tier 6 really just sucks... Embrace the suck, make it your friend. Grind the ship and the captain and by the time you get that sucker up to a tier 9 or 10 ship, he should be a 19 pointer. 

Premium ships are your best friends. Grind a captain for a nation that you have the most premium ships for. Farm the first win bonus with that captain in each premium ship. Remember you are playing PvE, the edge you get in captain specialization doesn't mean much fighting bots. I have even put my carrier captains in premium destroyers for the first win bonus. The exception is putting other captains into carriers, really does not work well... I find that working on a cruiser or destroyer captain is best. Their skills are fine for working in either ship class and it does not hamper their abilities in battleships as much as you may think. Farm the first wins, it is double the xp for your captain and once he is a 19 pointer, it is all elite captain xp and can be used on any other captain. Good stuff. I have so many premium ships that I rarely play more than one match per day in a ship. The exception to that would be if I lost a match of course, but just playing for the first win and moving to the next premium ship with that captain really worked well for me. 

Other than that, what Thunder said is good advice. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[WOLF5]
Members
285 posts
5,272 battles
7 hours ago, wtfovr said:

i see that you’re not in a clan.  If it’s because you only play coop or because you only play solo, may I suggest the Lone Wolves.   We don’t division and we don’t do team play.  We also take coop only players.   We’re just a group that collective pool,our oil and get the XP boosts nd post battle,credit reduction - it’s like running a permanent India Bravo Terrathree flag.  And the discount stacks if the clan has the dock, you run the flag and use a Camo that has a post battle discount.  So -30% post battle service discount.  The discount adds up.

anyways any of our 11 wolf clans you can check out WOLF1 through WOLF9 (numbers 1 through 9) WOLFX and WOLFB if you are interested.

Thanks, I have not paid the clans any attention but I've sent in applications to the Lone Wolves.

• Cool 1

Members
1,859 posts
17,674 battles
10 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

1) the one in red I would personally say is bad advice.

The only time I run Co-Op is to finish a Co-Opable challenge or mission I didn't have time to finish & the only ones I usually do in higher tiers is the damage ones as there is more HP in higher tiers. I find it harder to get damage in Co-Op when there's a whole team of humans on my side as they are usually better at taking out bots than other bots are so I prefer battles w/at least a few bots & preferably a close by bot DD (or better yet a bot Brit cruiser...reasons given below***) for me to take advantage of their smoke early on. Being a random only player most of the time I find Co-Op pretty easy in comparison (although occasionally I get caught by surprise & get tanked out by them I usually clear the screen)...but then again I do NOT run the New Orleans in Co-Op...I definitely use sturdier ships...& the New Orleans was definitely THE grind for the US cruiser line...I wish you luck in that OP.

On a unrelated but relevant side note...I'm at Balti myself & only 100k XP from Des Moines...by the end of this 15% discount on T8-T10n ships I will have that & I highly recommend every body take advantage of that before the US cruiser line split...free XP your way there if you need to because the benefits of having a line finished before a split is worth it...if the IJN & RU DD splits are any indicator.

But I would also add that once the smoke clears...I never sit still (unless other smoke appears later I can take advantage of) & I stay as blade on as possible to enemy team & only cut to fire at broadside targets (sometimes a different target every round) then cut right back to blade on after I fire the round...staying blade on is important when you are faced w/an overwhelming disadvantage...cutting yourself broadside just to focus on a single target is bad. Ideally try to get ships singled out (where you only have to dodge their incoming fire) before focusing on them.

Ranging from behind the BBs is my best advice. But radar (the main "perk" of the US cruiser line) is kinda useless from those ranges...***maybe ghosting the friendly Brit cruisers to take advantage of their smoke might help as it's safer than being up front in DD smoke (especially w/the new smoke nerf detection thing after firing).

An addendum to using smoke in Co-Op...just because the red bots don't torp into smoke unless you are detected does not mean that the green bots will not (in fact you can almost count on it)...but if you are up to NO running Co-Op only you are probably aware of that already.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,966 posts
10,751 battles
10 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Thunder always has tons of great advice and information to share, on this however, I am going to disagree for only one reason. 

The further up the tech tree I went, the more my captains fell behind. I realized that moving too fast up the tiers was hamstringing my captains. I also made some other rather stupid mistakes like giving every ship its own captain including my premiums, and focusing on getting them to level 10. Ended up with lots of mediocre captains and only a couple of decent ones. Luckily I realized my mistake and focused on the captains and have steadily gotten 4 of them up to 19 points. If you are playing co-op I don't think you are in any hurry,  so using something as valuable as free xp to grind a ship or even getting it's upgrades, is a mistake. Save it for the freebies or to use to level up your captains. Depending on the tier of the ship, I manage to get around 1k of xp each game. A bit less for lower tiers of course, more for higher tiers, but I always tell myself it is 1k xp a game. When I see it costs say 40k to get the next hull, in my head I see that as 40 co-op games to get the upgrade but also 40k xp for my captain. Yes I know that xp and captain's xp are not the same but it is close enough for me and how I see things in the game. The grind sucks, even using free xp to move up the ship line, the grind still exists. Anything beyond tier 6 really just sucks... Embrace the suck, make it your friend. Grind the ship and the captain and by the time you get that sucker up to a tier 9 or 10 ship, he should be a 19 pointer. 

Premium ships are your best friends. Grind a captain for a nation that you have the most premium ships for. Farm the first win bonus with that captain in each premium ship. Remember you are playing PvE, the edge you get in captain specialization doesn't mean much fighting bots. I have even put my carrier captains in premium destroyers for the first win bonus. The exception is putting other captains into carriers, really does not work well... I find that working on a cruiser or destroyer captain is best. Their skills are fine for working in either ship class and it does not hamper their abilities in battleships as much as you may think. Farm the first wins, it is double the xp for your captain and once he is a 19 pointer, it is all elite captain xp and can be used on any other captain. Good stuff. I have so many premium ships that I rarely play more than one match per day in a ship. The exception to that would be if I lost a match of course, but just playing for the first win and moving to the next premium ship with that captain really worked well for me. 

Other than that, what Thunder said is good advice. 

Well Taylor is right about not having a 19 point Capt when you get to T10 via my route BUT I did have a 16pt one when I got to Montana through the grind I did do. 16pts is still a good Capt. I did it by doing it as I suggested using Free XP on a lot of the upgrades. I also moved the Capt up the line as I got to the next tier (my Montana Capt is the original one I had on South Carolina). That got me to 16 points  and part way to 17 by T10.

I also didn't have any US Premium ships for the entire US BB grind to help earn Capt XP on. Taylor is right that having those Premium ships to help with training Capt's on is a big help. Until recently the only Premium I had was Hood and that doesn't help a US Capt. I have since got my Capt to 17 points and playing him on my new Alabama, Arizona, and Missouri, in just a few games each in addition to my regular Montana games, has already done a good chunk towards pt 18.  I can see how having those Premium ships to help with Capt training is a big plus. I just didn't have them to use at the time I was grinding to T10 in US BB. Capt XP bonuses from flags and camo's are a big help too which I didn't have for a lot of the grind either.

Now, on my Yamato the Capt is only 14 points. Mainly because I hated the line and skipped over most of Myogi and a portion of Nagato using Free XP. I also used Free XP on most of the upgrades from Fuso on and I skipped ALL of Izumo's upgrades (did grind it's research XP fully in Amagi though) and the Yamato research XP. So I did hamper my IJN Capt that way as it was a ton of games skipped.  I don't think using Free XP to do some of the upgrades hurts that much towards your Capt though. Some yes but it is not a disaster if you get to T10 with a 16pt Capt. 16+ pts is a good Capt. Skip too many ship grinds, as I did with IJN BB, though will result in a less than ideal 12-14 pt Capt at T10.

Now my Capt on Bismarck is at 14 pts and almost to 15. I will be at 15 pts before I get to the T9 FDG and probably 17 or even 18 when I get to GK as I actually have a bunch of Premium KM ships I can play the Capt on to help which I didn't have for Montana or Yamato. I actually liked most of the KM BB's where I didn't with the IJN ones so I played them more during the grinds. Still used a lot of Free XP for upgrades but the ship grinds I try and do all of it. I only skip ships that I just hate. Not worth it to me to play a ship I hate. Would rather have a lower Capt.

My top BRN Capt is on the T7 KGV and is at 13 pts. I will be at 16-17 with it when I get to T10 going my route. I also have Hood so I can use the Capt on it too so the training progresses faster. To me that is acceptable. 19pts would be nice as Taylor says so you can use that elite Capt XP wherever you want. I will get there eventually.

Taylor is not wrong and brings a valid point of view to it. I think my way is okay too. Consider mine and his, or a combo of both, to do what is right for you. :Smile_great:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,966 posts
10,751 battles
40 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

The only time I run Co-Op is to finish a Co-Opable challenge or mission I didn't have time to finish & the only ones I usually do in higher tiers is the damage ones as there is more HP in higher tiers. I find it harder to get damage in Co-Op when there's a whole team of humans on my side as they are usually better at taking out bots than other bots are so I prefer battles w/at least a few bots & preferably a close by bot DD (or better yet a bot Brit cruiser...reasons given below***) for me to take advantage of their smoke early on. Being a random only player most of the time I find Co-Op pretty easy in comparison (although occasionally I get caught by surprise & get tanked out by them I usually clear the screen)...but then again I do NOT run the New Orleans in Co-Op...I definitely use sturdier ships...& the New Orleans was definitely THE grind for the US cruiser line...I wish you luck in that OP.

On a unrelated but relevant side note...I'm at Balti myself & only 100k XP from Des Moines...by the end of this 15% discount on T8-T10n ships I will have that & I highly recommend every body take advantage of that before the US cruiser line split...free XP your way there if you need to because the benefits of having a line finished before a split is worth it...if the IJN & RU DD splits are any indicator.

But I would also add that once the smoke clears...I never sit still (unless other smoke appears later I can take advantage of) & I stay as blade on as possible to enemy team & only cut to fire at broadside targets (sometimes a different target every round) then cut right back to blade on after I fire the round...staying blade on is important when you are faced w/an overwhelming disadvantage...cutting yourself broadside just to focus on a single target is bad. Ideally try to get ships singled out (where you only have to dodge their incoming fire) before focusing on them.

Ranging from behind the BBs is my best advice. But radar (the main "perk" of the US cruiser line) is kinda useless from those ranges...***maybe ghosting the friendly Brit cruisers to take advantage of their smoke might help as it's safer than being up front in DD smoke (especially w/the new smoke nerf detection thing after firing).

An addendum to using smoke in Co-Op...just because the red bots don't torp into smoke unless you are detected does not mean that the green bots will not (in fact you can almost count on it)...but if you are up to NO running Co-Op only you are probably aware of that already.

Don't kill yourself getting to Des Moines JUST for the split. IF you want it bad that is cool but don't do it specifically because of the upcoming split. It is not affected by the split and will not get you anything for having it. It is the current T10 and is a CA and it will be the T10 CA after the split. You won't get the T10 CL Worcester for having it.

There was an article with info from WG about what is coming for 2018 and they specifically talked about the US Cruiser line split and which ships are affected. It said...

"Those who have a lot of affected ships at the time of the change will get a lot of bonuses, so it’s recommended keeping cruisers from Cleveland to Baltimore in the port."

So you want Cleveland, Pensacola, New Orleans, and Baltimore. Those are the ships that will net you stuff.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
Members
5,695 posts
18,273 battles
9 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Taylor is not wrong and brings a valid point of view to it. I think my way is okay too. Consider mine and his, or a combo of both, to do what is right for you. :Smile_great:

My way only works because I have lots of premium ships to play with, getting close to 60 I think. When I have the time, I drop a 19 pointer into one, play for the win, rinse and repeat over and over again. 

Members
1,859 posts
17,674 battles
35 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

"Those who have a lot of affected ships at the time of the change will get a lot of bonuses, so it’s recommended keeping cruisers from Cleveland to Baltimore in the port."

Thanx for the actual WG quote on that...I've heard about the split but haven't actually seen the article...will continue anyway just because Balti is a fun ship to run anyway (not nearly as squishy as the NO that's for sure).

BTW...once you have 1 19 point commander you can use his elite XP to bring up the other ones so if you like the KM ships you can max out their commander 1st & just use their elite XP to build up the others until they are decently upgraded enough to run comfortably in the higher tiers...although it seems your US commander is closest so might be easier to grind him up to 19 w/all those new US premiums you mentioned. It's definitely easier to get 19 pointers once you have that 1st 1 to start the process...it kinda snowballs from there.

Don't be afraid to run other types of ships w/a commander just because he's specked to a certain type...except for CV specked ones...it's all about farming that 1st win bonus XP & other ship types will still get bonuses from what you got specked even if it's not the things you ideally want specked...for instance my 1st 19 point commander was assigned to the Gearing & I used to run it on the Atlanta also...but then came the invisa-fire change & had to remove Advanced Fire Training from the Gearing...AFT is a must in the Atlanta but by that time had amassed enough elite XP to train another 19 pointer for the cruiser line (the one presently on Balti) so use it in Atlanta instead...lol...sorry...that was a bad example of not worrying about specs but rather an example of how fast the snowball effect acquires you more 19 pointers once you have 1...I blame lack of caffeine for the mental distraction.

Only have 5 or 6 19 pointers but use elite XP for training also when transferring commanders (priority) & quite often just bringing starter commanders to 10 points minimum (after T4 on a new line) to get a good jump start on the lower tiers.

I never free XP ships though...not even the modules...I grind them out to get the required experience (actual battle experience) before moving up the tiers...that's how I can say w/certainty that the NO was "THE" US CA grind.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts

I ground out my New Orleans 4/5 in Co-op- then this season of ranked started.  I thought I'd give it a shot, and NO is actually a good ship for that: low detection; good guns; radar; defensive fire.  I ended up blasting through the final 40k xp in no time.    And, since the battles are 7 vs 7, and pretty much all Domination, it plays an awful lot more like Co-op than Random.   Yes, you'll get THOSE matches- the ones full of camp2win players.   But most are pretty spirited fights.

Added bonus:  The holiday campaigns for Duke of Pork, and the new years campaign are doable in ranked!   Fairly easily so, too.

As for the ship;

I found it best to concentrate on it's strengths:

Detectability- with Concealment Expert and the concealment upgrade you can be very stealthy.

Guns-  Expert Marksman and Adrenaline Rush are great.  

AA.  I took every opportunity to improve it's AA, and nearly always equip Defensive fire over hydro.   Esp for Co-op, bots are not subtle, and I rarely find a use for hydro.

Radar.  Always equipped, and I also grabbed Superintendant so I had 3 uses of it.

Aiming systems mod is also an option, but I found New Orleans to be sufficiently accurate without it.   AA2 extending the range of your AA guns was just too useful to pass up.   I see a lot of CV's in co-op matches, and racking up lots of plane kills helps your bottom line.

After that, I plugged survivability into the mix.   Aux armament mod; rudder shift mod;  damage control mod; and Priority target.

Makes the NO into an all-rounder support ship.   I mainly use it in the artillery support and flanker role, but the radar works wonders in the smoke spam, and for cap fights.   The trick is to put yourself in a position to be able to hammer the broadsides of enemy ships- while they're busy looking at someone else.   With your detection maxed out, you'll rarely be the first ship spotted unless you get too aggressive or yolo.   With no torpedoes, there's no need to get too close or show side to the enemy.  Your guns are accurate out to max range.

Using AP most of the time will usually net you the most damage.  HE is for angled BB's, CV's that still have planes- or for trolling DD players.  (they love it when you blow out their engines/ rudder/ torpedo tubes etc!)  But vs broadside BB's?  AP all the way- and aim at their secondary decks, their bows and their sterns.  And watch the high damage salvos roll in.

Above all else, forget the torpedo cruiser mindset you learned playing every other line and think gunship.

I have oodles of flags, premium camos, and a premium account, and use them all liberally.   So earning credits isn't a problem.  If all else fails, you can always drop down a tier to Pepsi for a few games to make it rain.  They have similar playstyles, and the guns and AA are hillarious.

Besides, Baltimore is worth the grind!

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,837 posts
9,951 battles

i grind her through PVE and i found it very pleasant. If you check my post, you see Nola is very capable ship; and lots of citadel hits if play it right. 

i would net around 7000 XP, on Co Op game i get max 2000 XP

The only draw back some time is avoid the weekend warrior time. I got the perm camo from the previous event, i got xp + credit signals and had 10 pts capt.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/145018-new-orleans/

Edited by ObiwankzKenobi

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,837 posts
9,951 battles

i prefer proper grind, did not use any FreeXP so far.

I like to save them for the mushashi

[EQRN]
Members
348 posts
8,991 battles

I used to primarily play co-op, but have been moving more towards random.  I still co-op a ship until I have all the upgrades and the commander is no longer re-training, too cheap to fxp that stuff.  Anyway, back when I was co-oping I found some ships just bleh and wanted out of it asap, so I started randoming just for the xp increase.  Wonder of wonders, I enjoyed the ships so much more!  These were the Pensacola and La Galley.  I can't explain it, but these ships, for me, perform so much better in random than co-op.  Anyway, something to maybe try once or twice.  The xp is pretty nice too, when I had only the Bismarck to run the Yamamoto campaign, I had the FdG and most of GK by the time I was done.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,577 battles
On 12/26/2017 at 12:15 AM, bigbearbeear said:

I've recently bought the US tier 8 cruiser, New Orleans, and is having a bit of hard time making it profitable in Co-op play.  I mainly play co-op as it is more relaxed and I enjoy it more.  However, while I thought the Pensacola was difficult to grind through, it did had the advantage of being available for use in the scenario Narai which makes a lot of credits and xp.

When playing the New Orleans, the service and ammo cost run into the 60k credit range and I find myself either making very little credits or losing a little after a victory.

I have premium time.  Want to check with you guys who have done it via co-op grinding, how did you work your way through New Orleans?  The only way I've found to be consistently profitable is to use signal flags and I do have a bunch of them after getting the recently 360 premium time deal.  What I've been doing though, is to jump back into a tier 7 premium US cruiser Atlanta with the captain and drive it for a few games to bring in a bunch of credits, then transfer the captain back to New Orleans and continue to work through it.

It works, and the Atlanta is a fun ship to drive, but I'm wondering if there are other ways.  Thanks.

Wow ..grinding through Co-op is a real grind, It’s not the best place to farm credits as a Co-op win can pay less than a Random loss

6000+ games in did require an attitude change for me or the grind was going to burn me out so I took a few weeks break and came back to not being so concerned with hurry up and get this or that, always have played Random

anyway what Idid was concentrate on 1 captain and get the ship to 19 then use them for Elite XP for other Captains, I now have 6 of em

good luck to yea