Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GiN_nTonic

discouraged - ranked

11 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
731 posts
5,906 battles

I've never really tried hard in ranked seasons and so this time I wanted to give it all I had to reach rank 1.  However, 6 days into it i won't lie I am highly discouraged.  I am barely over 50% win rate and im averaging nearly 90k dmg - I am playing all types of ships - and I generally understand the objective and I dont play like its a random match.  Im at rank 12 right now.

What kind of numbers does someone need to put up to win more consistently?  Should I be focused more on DD or BB play?  I'd say 65% of the time I take a cruiser and the rest split between them.  I know stats aren't the most important thing and garbage stats at the end of a match is near meaninglessly - I can promise that isn't what I am doing.  I am in the thick of fighting most the time.  I've attached my stats for the current ranked in case there is a tell-tell sign i am not doing something right.

stats.png

[SEP]
Members
3,723 posts
14,979 battles
1 hour ago, GiN_nTonic said:

I am playing all types of ships

Well, that's your mistake IMO. Instead of getting good with 1 ship you are getting nowhere with multiple ships. Pick a ship and stick to only said ship for a number of games, learn the ship a bit by playing but do not be afraid to scrap it after 20 battles if it underperforms and pick another one.

Beta Testers
731 posts
5,906 battles

Ill try that M3.  Another guy just posted on the forums talking about reaching level 11 (ahead of me) and i just looked up his stats for fun and found this.   Needless to say it was even more discouraging to see that... a higher win %.

luck.png

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

You want to affect Ranked.

Play Destroyers.

Those are BB stats. Classic example of putting up purple stats and losing. 

Cap, defend caps, remove space and kill opposing Destroyers so the damage monsters can win.

Edited by atPrick__
  • Cool 1

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,324 battles
6 minutes ago, atPrick__ said:

Play Destroyers.

Cap, defend caps, remove space and kill opposing Destroyers so the damage monsters can win.

This season is infested with loyangs making playing DD a huge headache unless you want to buy one of them yourself.

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles
9 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

This season is infested with loyangs making playing DD a huge headache unless you want to buy one of them yourself.

I agree. But.

The Z boat is similar and nearly, maybe more effective. 

Members
139 posts
7,892 battles
12 minutes ago, atPrick__ said:

I agree. But.

The Z boat is similar and nearly, maybe more effective. 

Nope, Z boat dies too fast in focus fire.  this is not a duel after all.

[INTEL]
Members
8,579 posts
25,677 battles

Dude just play what you're comfortable in and are good at. 

I spent 38 games at Rank 13 this weekend. Suddenly I won five in a row and I am at Rank 11. So stick with it... I need more people to shoot at!

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles
8 minutes ago, ShatteredJade said:

Nope, Z boat dies too fast in focus fire.  this is not a duel after all.

Bro it's a DD.

Z23 is nearly as capable, been struggling with them in my Le Yang.

Members
139 posts
7,892 battles
13 minutes ago, atPrick__ said:

Bro it's a DD.

Z23 is nearly as capable, been struggling with them in my Le Yang.

Yea what I am saying is when Loyang fights Z23 with both side focus on them, Z23 dies way faster.

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles

3 hours ago, atPrick__ said:

Play Destroyers.

I can largely agree with this.  A big advantage you get from playing DDs, particularly USN style gunboat DDs, is that doing the things they're great at is great for earning XP, i.e. capping, spotting, and killing enemy DDs.  And while sometimes it can get frustrating that you can't force wins to occur, if you're good at a USN style DD, you can constantly lead your team in base XP, thus avoiding the loss of a star.

3 hours ago, Ju87s said:

Honestly, while the Lo Yang is a good DD for ranked, I happen to think that the Benson is better in large part because I prefer the extra gun over the Hydro.  The Kidd is also awesome, though its specialty is more weighted towards being a dominant counter DD destroyer.  With only one torp launcher rather than two, like on the Benson or Lo Yang (or Hsienyang), it lacks the alpha strike capability for attacking heavy ships.  This isn't to say that you can't do some damage with its single launcher's torps.  Just that you have to be a lot more careful in its use.

3 hours ago, m373x said:

Well, that's your mistake IMO. Instead of getting good with 1 ship you are getting nowhere with multiple ships. Pick a ship and stick to only said ship for a number of games, learn the ship a bit by playing but do not be afraid to scrap it after 20 battles if it underperforms and pick another one.

I mostly agree with this, at least for some people.  That said, I'm flipping back and forth between my Benson and Kidd, and since they're so similar, I feel that I can get relatively similar results.

Also, I happen to be one of those players who normally plays all sorts of ships constantly, so it's ingrained in my personal play style to be able to switch between ships without worrying about performing will in them.  For example, I know the differences between the Tirpitz and Alabama and how to play to get the most out of each ship.  And thus I have no real issues doing so.  That said, I'd also say that I think I get better results out of my Alabama than the Tirpitz, so it's my personal preference if I was going to have a go to BB at tier 8.

Sign in to follow this