You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Plaatduutsch

Frustrating and Unenjoyable T8 Ranked

42 comments in this topic

[C-HAG]
Members
483 posts
7,697 battles

I mainly play DD in this ranked season, sometimes I play BB such as Amagi and Monarch. So far I reached Rank 13

Two reasons to conclude the issue.

1. high tier maps tends to encourage camping. Especially the big ones. It make it difficult for a DD to work.

The Amagi can do well, but at the expense of Kating away, which doesn’t help your team much. (Yes high damage and you can keep your rank for being number 1if lostI) I find this play style so unenjoyable that I am willing to use Monarch, a weaker ship. 

2. For DDs, it’s really just pay to win,

I have tried Z23, but the Loyang is just way better to fulfill her role. 

I have tried Radar Hsienyang, but if the team doesn’t help you you can barely do anything. The radar Time is just too short for youself do to any Damage. 15S radar with  3.3s  4x127 guns. It takes 2-3s to render the ship. Then you can fire at most 4 vollies of shells. Usually I can only fire 3 vollies, that’s like Maximum 12 shells on a DD, and if it were a Kidd, he can heal up with just one repair party. The radar on PA DD is too short to make good use of it. It requires good team work but that’s rare. I would say that buff the radar to 20s to offset the rendering time is needed for anyone even try to use radar. 

in addition, the Kidd is just a mile ahead when it comes to dogfight. I could not win a 2km (island in between so no torp threat) away gunfight with a Kidd(~5000 health) with my Hsienyang(~9000 health). I really thought I could win. 

i have played ranked before, but I wasn’t frustrated as much as this time. Because in Ranked T7 a silver DD can also do very well, and in ranked Tier 6 is the same story.

If it is really about PTW, why don’t you guys just sell Flint and Black as the Chinese server did?

They have Flint for ¥169 (~$25) and Black for sale for clients with deep pocket. 

Edited by Plaatduutsch

[BIAS]
Members
3,145 posts
9,228 battles

Well the silver cruiser that can wreck ranked is the Chapayev. And there are no clear favorites in the battleships. Lo yang does have good advantages in ranked but its not invulnerable. 

However, you complain about the Chinese being able to purchase the flint and black, so you seem to be in it for the ships, yet despise playing amagi in a style that you say would be easy to reach r1 with... 

• Cool 2

[C-HAG]
Members
483 posts
7,697 battles
31 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Well the silver cruiser that can wreck ranked is the Chapayev. And there are no clear favorites in the battleships. Lo yang does have good advantages in ranked but its not invulnerable. 

However, you complain about the Chinese being able to purchase the flint and black, so you seem to be in it for the ships, yet despise playing amagi in a style that you say would be easy to reach r1 with... 

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I mean being in top 1 do earner on your team to keep your star. In addition, the sale of Fling is sarcasm

[SALVO]
Members
17,049 posts
17,674 battles
35 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Ducky, what he meant was he felt that it wouldn't be hard to be the top XP earner on the team with the Amagi, not that it'd be easy to get to Rank 1 in it.

Members
6,920 posts
7,508 battles

While I agree it's frustrating a/f this season, Z23 happens to be the only ship I'm doing well with, at 5-0. I have no other ship close except Atago, at 3-3. I have 2 at 1-1, and 1 at 2-5, and 3 with no wins at all.

So, Z23 may not be working for most, but it sure is working for me.

Members
6,920 posts
7,508 battles

And wait, they can BUY those ships over there? And here we're locked behind a grindwall the vast majority will never break down? That is brutally unfair. Typical WG.

Members
4,821 posts
5,596 battles

Each tier that you mentioned has it's own version of "PTW". For T6, it's arguably battleships, for T7 it's cruisers, and for T8 it's arguably DDs.

That said, I've been using Akizuki in ranked and have climbed from R17 to R12 holding a 65% WR.(gosh it's fun to actually chew up planes if I run into a CV, and my Aki has no AA skills yet, haha!) I've been having a lot of fun, much more than in previous seasons. In any previous seasons where the tiers used were split, I didn't play T8 even if I manged to work my way to it. So in a way, this is kind of my first exposure to T8 ranked. And honestly, I think T8 is a great spot for ranked battles. There are a lot of ships and there's really no clear 'X ship in each class is best because of Y and Z' going on in this tier. There's a good balance of both tech tree ships and premiums, and the premiums don't clearly outclass the tech tree ships in any way. They all have their strengths and weaknesses that help to leave it up to the captain for whether or not the ship does well.(though, I personally do have a small beef with the "German" hydro on Lo Yang, that just feels unfair on the receiving end.)

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[SALVO]
Members
17,049 posts
17,674 battles
53 minutes ago, Plaatduutsch said:

I mainly play DD in this ranked season, sometimes I play BB such as Amagi and Monarch. So far I reached Rank 13

1. high tier maps tends to encourage camping. Especially the big ones. It make it difficult for a DD to work.

The Amagi can do well, but at the expense of Kating away, which doesn’t help your team much. (Yes high damage and you can keep your rank for being number 1if lostI) I find this play style so unenjoyable that I am willing to use Monarch, a weaker ship. 

I have tried Radar Hsienyang, but if the team doesn’t help you you can barely do anything, and Kidd is just a mile ahead when it comes to dogfight. I could not win a 2km (island in between so no torp threat) away gunfight with a Kidd(~5000 health) with my Hsienyang(~9000 health). I really thought I could win. 

i have played ranked before, but I wasn’t frustrated as much as this time. Because in Ranked T7 a silver DD can also do very well, and in ranked Tier 6 is the same story.

If it is really about PTW, why don’t you guys just sell Flint and Black as the Chinese server did?

They have Flint for ¥169 (~$25) and Black for sale for clients with deep pocket. 

For BBs, it's all about what BB you feel most comfortable using.  IMO, they're all similarly capable of being successful in tier 8 ranked.

As for helping one's team, I guess that I don't disagree.  People talk about "tanking".  But I'm a big believer that the purpose of a BB's toughness isn't to be a damage sponge for the team.  It's to allow it to stay in the battle as long as possible to maximize the damage you do for the team.

As I've said in another thread, I had a battle in my Alabama where a team mate in an NC started raging at me because I wasn't over with him bow tanking the enemy.   He really raged when I looped around a small island because I didn't want to show my broadside to the enemy while I completed a 180* turn.  In the end, he died and ended up bottom of the team in XP.  I on the other hand, was the top XP earning BB on the team ... by 500 base XP points.  In short, I did one HELL of a lot more for the team by using my armor and HP pool to stay in the fight and maximize the damage I could do for the team rather than being a worthless damage sponge like he was.

Of course, then there will be the people who will complain that if you're all over there taking fire it's good for the team.  To which I say, NONSENSE.  Good teams will focus fire the damaged BB down and sink him, rather than just letting your team share its HP.  This isn't WoT where you can put a highly armored tank up from to soak up some hits and damage and then hopefully pull him back, or even more another tank in front of him to block the firing angles on him.  No, it doesn't work that way in WoWS in the great majority of cases.  If you're out in the open, the enemy can and will hit you, and there's no running away if you're playing in a campy, static, bow tanking fight.  Honestly, this is why I prefer to fight and maneuver, so that I can work my armor and have escape options, if I need to find some hard cover to block lines of fire and try to heal up.

As for DD's, honestly, I don't get that hot and bothered by the Lo Yang.  It's just a C hull Benson, meaning it has one less gun.  Given a choice, I'd take a Benson over the Lo Yang, since I like having the 5th gun more than the Hydro.  But I suppose that's just me.  Then again, I also like the Kidd for its gun power even if it does lose a torp launcher, though if I had to pick between the Kidd and Benson and could only use one for the entire season, I'd be hard pressed as to which to pick.  The Kidd definitely has better guns, but the Benson is more capable when it comes to having some offensive potential vs large ships due to its 2 torp launchers vs 1 for the Kidd.

[SALVO]
Members
17,049 posts
17,674 battles
14 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

And wait, they can BUY those ships over there? And here we're locked behind a grindwall the vast majority will never break down? That is brutally unfair. Typical WG.

No, actually it's NOT Wargaming.  He said the Chinese server, meaning that those decisions are definitely not made by WG, but by the company that runs the Chinese server.   The Chinese server, whether it's for WoT or WoWS, is notorious for not following WG's policies on things like this.

• Cool 1

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles

Honestly, T8 isn't even that pay to win. From playing the Lo Yang, I can confirm that it is quite a strong ship in the right hands, but it does have many downsides, such as its bad firepower. If the enemy team makes a coordinated push, the Lo Yang is quite useless in stopping them. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,446 posts
11,741 battles

So the benson is dead????

Kagaroo is useless????

[TBW]
Members
6,400 posts
12,031 battles

The silver ships are just fine, that's all I have been playing, because those are the ones that I need to grind to the next tier. The premiums are no better than the silver ships. PTW is when you can buy better ammo and armor and such. WG does a great job at not making premiums better as far as playing them goes. You do make more credits and XP and of course you can put any captain in them but in no way is that pay to win.

[INTEL]
Members
8,577 posts
25,666 battles
18 hours ago, Plaatduutsch said:

I have tried Radar Hsienyang, but if the team doesn’t help you you can barely do anything, and Kidd is just a mile ahead when it comes to dogfight. I could not win a 2km (island in between so no torp threat) away gunfight with a Kidd(~5000 health) with my Hsienyang(~9000 health). I really thought I could win. 

Ranked is always frustrating. This weekend I bounced around Rank 13 for 38 games, 2 up, 2 down, 2 up 2 down. Then I finally switched back to Tirpitz and five straight wins later I am at Rank 11. Just waiting for the chat ban to stop so I can play tonight. 

I need more whiskey.

[C-HAG]
Members
483 posts
7,697 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Kanaroo is useless????

Benson is decent

Kagero? is useless indeed. 

IJN DDs are difficult to play nowadays.

If the old Fubuki exists, I would take her out for ranked for sure!

Edited by Plaatduutsch

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,577 battles

If you want to punish P2W DD play an Akizuki it is slow you wont overextend and when you get em spotted hopefully not by you they die very easily to its AP or IFHE whatever you want to use

[-I-]
Members
1,719 posts
10,453 battles
2 hours ago, Aduial said:

Honestly, T8 isn't even that pay to win. From playing the Lo Yang, I can confirm that it is quite a strong ship in the right hands, but it does have many downsides, such as its bad firepower. If the enemy team makes a coordinated push, the Lo Yang is quite useless in stopping them. 

Whereas a Kidd or Benson in the same situation will be able to stop them?? It's a coordinated push against a DD. No DD is going to stop that.

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
8,577 posts
25,666 battles
16 hours ago, Plaatduutsch said:

If the old Fubuki exists, I would take her out for ranked for sure!

I'd be right there with you. Greatest DD in the world. I will never forgive the devs for that senseless IJN torp nerf and then the removal of that beautiful ship. 

[PSP]
Members
6,241 posts
8,880 battles
5 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I play for free and I've never had any trouble competing in Ranked up to the level of my ability. I've stopped at rank 10 the past two seasons, not because my ships held me back, but because at that level I started seeing players with much higher win ratios and WTRs than me. Sure, I could have been carried up a few more ranks but when I consistently start landing in the lower end of the team in points it's time to call it a day.

I have a North Carolina, New Orleans,  Atago/Takao, and  Lexington that I can play this ranked season. I would have a Benson but I sold it to play for my Fletcher. Last season I played a Cleveland, Fubuki, and an Arizona, The Arizona I got from a crate. I won my Atago/Takao from an event. The rest were obtained by simply playing the game. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

Dumb as [edited].

A million different mechanics to deal with.

At this point, game has been around long enough, if WG is going to do 8. Might as well do it at 10.

Everything has Sonar, radar, planes and magical AP. Some boats have magic torps.

T7 Imo is a decent limit....

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles
4 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Kanaroo is useless????

Yes.

Tho...

Kag seems to have some point, it's detection is less than Yo Langs(I think?) So she can at least spot her.

[TMS]
Members
1,729 posts
22,058 battles
2 hours ago, atPrick__ said:

Yes.

Tho...

Kag seems to have some point, it's detection is less than Yo Langs(I think?) So she can at least spot her.

With the game mechanics the way they are anything less than 0.5km concealment difference makes little difference many times unless you are both moving very slowly and sideways to each other as the onscreen render can take nearly a full km to show up and you end up spotting each other anyway.

Edited by Final8ty

Members
18,212 posts
5,196 battles
8 hours ago, Crucis said:

No, actually it's NOT Wargaming.  He said the Chinese server, meaning that those decisions are definitely not made by WG, but by the company that runs the Chinese server.   The Chinese server, whether it's for WoT or WoWS, is notorious for not following WG's policies on things like this.

Lol yes, like the $120 USD Type 59 with gold-plating camo in WoT, that was only available on the Chinese server...