You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Verdha603

How do you play Ibuki in NA servers?

12 comments in this topic

[EOD]
Members
39 posts
3,519 battles

I’m sure it sounds stupid, but even after covering all the upgrades for her and getting all her modules filled out, it just seems difficult to nail down a play style for Ibuki.

I played Mogami exclusively with 155’s so I haven’t really settled on how I feel about the 203 setup. The closest I can tell is that I am playing a Myoko, but now it feels even squishier because the minute I get spotted my priority target marker goes up past 5 on a regular basis, and almost anyone with long range torps and battleship guns look at me like the upcoming appetizer.

I can’t really fight DD’s well because my guns have a slow reload time, BB’s wipe me if they catch me within 15 km, and I just don’t seem very effective sniping at the edge of my range because of how long it takes my shells to get to my targets. 

Am I supposed to just sit back with the BB’s and support the group from the back or what?

Edited by Rommel603

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,634 battles

I'd like some thought on this as well... I generally don't play cruisers, but I'm trying to see if I can grind out something I don't have to rent for next season of clan battles.

Fundamentally I think I'm conflicted on whether I should be trying to play close up and sneaky or long range and spammy... or is it just a matter of "you have to do both, and the trick is to understand when to do each"?

Members
1,344 posts
1,343 battles

I play her like I did with Mogami with the 203s, play mostly as support. Depending on the situation you can be a bit aggressive. Ibuki's mostly an upgrade from Mogami so she's kinda fragile. But I  just got her so might be a bit to early for me to give you any good advice....

[WOLFB]
Members
1,735 posts
8,298 battles

Assuming you play full concealment, you can push with your DD. Not going in the cap with them, just push and close the distance between the friendly DD and you. Use your concealment to pinpoint  on the minimap where you expect the DD to be when spotted. With 9.7km it's pretty easy to know where a DD is inside a cap. I used to close the cap until my sea detection reach the center of the cap. Once spotted just start kitting away. Usually I get spotted when my sea detection reach the middle so I know where to pinpoint and once the DD spots the ennemi DD, you unload your powerfull broadside on him.

Shells are slow so sniping at 19km+ isn't recommended but in the meantime playing aggressive isn't recommended either. You should play in between long range spammer and brawler. I played at something between 0-16.8km without having too much issue. Past 17km you can land shell but it become a bit hard.

BB are your main target in this ship, just because they are big and your shell are slow.  Shooting cruiser and DD require some lead and you must get used to the shell velocity.

When playing this ship you must keep in mind that every shell coming from any BB will either be a cit or a full pen. This ship is the definition of paper.

Manoeuvrability, you can torpedo beat without having much issue. Same thing with shell, you can avoid them pretty easily but you can't dodge everything if you're targetted by 2 targets or more.

AA is...ok I guess. It's IJN AA so nothing to see here.

Torps are ok i guess. I didn't bother uppgrading them, I hate the Ibuki why would I spend more time grinding the ship ?. If you can use them, this is a good tool to surprise ennemi ship but in brawling, no. Lol no

[O_O]
Members
4,427 posts
9,595 battles

I got some pretty devastating strikes with torps.  It seems many players didn't remember, or didn't fear, Ibuki's torps.  The arcs dictate they are kiting away torps, but there are plenty of them and they have good range.  Use them when you can.

Ibuki wasn't a front line support ship for me.  I had much better success standing back a bit and providing fire support.  If you are being targeted, bang the rudder back and forth.  She is agile enough to rack up the potential damage totals.  She does a good job of setting opposing BB's and CA's on fire.

I hated her early on, but found Ibuki to be quite effective once upgraded and I found a groove.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,634 battles

Thanks for the thoughts all... how are folks setting it up? Like range mod or DPM mod? Concealment or double rudder? DFAA or hydro, etc?

Members
879 posts
9,106 battles

Wish I could help, but I Ibuki'd almost 2 yrs ago.  A ton has changed and I will say that I do better in almost all of my 10s over Zao.

[NOH8]
Members
57 posts
5,183 battles

I actually stealth torped an Iowa the other day and then landed 3 other torps in the later in the match.  

[STORM]
Alpha Tester
1,018 posts
2,686 battles

Get the range upgrade and snipe HE. You'll need to get good at sniping if you want the Zao.

Members
842 posts

I play the Ibuki a lot. It's a nice ship.

I ended up putting the Range mod on, because I get on a lot of T10 maps where you really, really need that range to keep away from everything. And I am *much* better using the normal gunsight than the one with the Spotter plane.

For modules, I do:   MAM1, DAAFM1 (special) - otherwise do  SSGM1,   AAGM2, SGM2, CSM1, GFCSM2

For the captain, I have:  PT, EM, AR, SI, CE for 12 points.  I'm considering DE or Vig next. Followed by BFT to up my AA.

DAA and Fighter, for consumables.

Basically, it plays pretty similar to the 155mm Mogami - you have rear-facing torps and a low detection range, so you can use them for interesting torp moves around cover (or nuke the unwary chasing BB).  The guns work really well for nuking a DD at about 8km or so in a single salvo, but you have to set yourself up properly, so map awareness is Key.

Other than that, yeah, spam HE at 15km works REALLY well, and with some practice, you can hit 40% or so of your shots at close to max range.  You just don't want to get near ANYTHING you can't delete almost instantly.  It WILL eat random citadels from BB fire at any angle, especially with plunging fire. It's just RNGesus. 

Oh, and the Ibuki has really good AA if you spec for it. Enough to shred planes trying to attack you, though it doesn't do so well as fleet defense.  But specing for AA is worth it, because you'll often be a lonely ship off by yourself, whacking stuff on the other side of the map, when the planes come for you, you need to be able to defend yourself. Which it can.

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,258 battles

Rule of thumb for IJN cruisers with rare exceptions:

*Stealthy

*Fast

*Good HE+Good fire chance

*Good AP at mid to close range

*Preferred style of play:  Japanese Kite

6061179984_6bb910bab4_z.jpg

Members
65 posts
2,055 battles

I just unlocked the Ibuki the yesterday. I have a Mogami and Atago and after playing those she feels a bit sluggish compared to those boats and she looks a lot wider. The 10km on detection is good and the 17km range is sweet, nice to have an IJN boat with some range. The guns though don't have near the velocity of the Atago or Mogami rounds, you really have to increase your lead time on targets 15km+. First few games with her were really bad as I struggled with the guns but once you get a feel for them I started to land more hits.

She can take some rounds when angled, I got in a bad spot and let a BB get off a salvo at me while turning. I kicked the rudder as hard as I could and braced for deletion. I was surprised as several rounds bounced, a few missed and I ended up only eating 10-15% damage. Course the BB was at a range that the rounds hit the sides and not the deck.

Once the improved fire control is unlocked range will increase to 19km but man gonna take some getting used to throwing rounds that far. I think she's is still best in the 12-16km range like the other IJN cruisers, so you can always go dark with your 10km detection range if needed.

I think I am going to like her once I get a comfort level with her, and get a better feel for her guns and maneuverability but shes just like a bigger Myoko/Atago, ready for the Zao though.