You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jarink

Least fun ranked season?

36 comments in this topic

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles

I have to say that this has been the least enjoyable ranked season I've ever participated in. I've only ranked up one level to 17 and find myself wondering if I want to even bother trying to get any higher. I'm not exactly sure what the root cause is, but I think it's the choice by WG to specify VIII. This is the tier where campy gameplay really seems to start taking over and it's been extremely noticeable in ranked. I absolutely hate camping play; it's one of the main reasons I've not bothered to get any tier IX ships. It also seems that with the holiday players out in force, you can just about forget any semblance of team-oriented play, which is critical to success in Ranked. I think I've seen more AFKs or players that wander off on their own (and get promptly sunk) than in any other season.

WG, please don't combine a high tier ranked season with a holiday ever again. I play for fun and well, this just hasn't been fun.

• Cool 2

[WOLF4]
Members
122 posts
5,847 battles

I'm not generally a fan of the Tier 8 ships, to me they're just piffle... but, stick with it.  I've managed to scratch and claw my way up to rank 9 (which is my ranked stopping point each season).  I stuck with Amagi in the end, she did me some solid work.  

Try again another day, as you say, it's meant to be fun.  :cap_happy:

Members
400 posts
6,311 battles

I don't know if it is the least fun, but I do understand the frustration. Very easy playing ranked. You stay together and focus your fire. This year it is a struggle for most. I thing most think that they have to push to try and score the highest in case they do lose, instead of playing together and playing to win. That is the only thing that make the game (least fun). Everything I gained I lost on the weekend. So back at it on Tuesday. 

[PSP]
Members
6,225 posts
8,853 battles

I'm having lots of fun in ranked. I'm at rank 15 now. However, I've not gotten serious about Ranked play yet. Right now I'm spending more time writing song parodies about the game than actually playing it.

[--O--]
Members
187 posts
18,171 battles

p2w this year more than any previous, in my eyes ranked should be a level playing field, loyangs and knuts are proving decisive in every game i have played

• Bad 2

[WOLFB]
Members
1,722 posts
8,237 battles

Ranked at T8 isn't the problem. It's just the amount of potato you have nowaday. 

When you know WG gave free XP to people who didn't played after 1 month +, the same moment ranked are out, you'll know ranked will be crap

[WOLF9]
Members
3,239 posts
5 minutes ago, Jarink said:

I have to say that this has been the least enjoyable ranked season I've ever participated in. I've only ranked up one level to 17 and find myself wondering if I want to even bother trying to get any higher. I'm not exactly sure what the root cause is, but I think it's the choice by WG to specify VIII. This is the tier where campy gameplay really seems to start taking over and it's been extremely noticeable in ranked. I absolutely hate camping play; it's one of the main reasons I've not bothered to get any tier IX ships. It also seems that with the holiday players out in force, you can just about forget any semblance of team-oriented play, which is critical to success in Ranked. I think I've seen more AFKs or players that wander off on their own (and get promptly sunk) than in any other season.

WG, please don't combine a high tier ranked season with a holiday ever again. I play for fun and well, this just hasn't been fun.

Yep.  I had one glorious day with teams- on both sides- that came to PLAY, and had a good grasp of what it was going to take to win.

Since then it's been just as you say.  I call it Random Lite.   It got so bad, I became one of those yolo-ers.   Why not?  We weren't going anywhere, or even trying to make a fight of it.  Screw it- I'm not camping, I came to fight!   If(when) they kill me, oh well- at least I went out fighting.  (and am now free to join another match or go do something more fun)

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I haven't  started this season yet, but honestly every Ranked season is frustrating.

Reading this forum regularly since Open Beta it would seem the majority feels that last season was the better. Of course your mileage will vary, but I'm speaking of overall average of posts.

Ranked has more to do with perseverance than actual skill.

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,218 battles

I'm not having much fun at all. I barely like any of the ships at T8. 

I played 4 games this weekend (being Christmas and all). 1 win, 3 losses, but I was high scoring on the losing team twice. So a net of zero. 

I'm finding it really difficult to push the Battle Button on ranked. 

[CAST]
Members
1,195 posts
7,346 battles

I see no difference in this ranked season than any other when comparing players.  Every season, you get the same complaints about yolo players and players that camp no matter what tier is being played.  There would be complaints about any tier that is being played when comparing ships.  There are advantages and disadvantages for every tier.  Changing it up from season to season is a nice change.  I play until I get a couple of losses in a row, or I get tired, then I stop and go do something else and come back another time.  No sence in beating my head on my keyboard chasing wins.  The key is to find the ship that works well for you.  If have your comfortable ship and you can do more than your fair share in any game, then the 50% probablility of winning due to getting a good team or bad team gets tilted in your favour.  Add a couple of losses where you don't lose a star and you are on your way to rank 1.

• Cool 1

Members
6,898 posts
7,508 battles

I'd agree, I'm having far less fun and far more frustration this season. Of course, I also know the MM is rigged against me, maybe that has something to do with it. Wish I was one of those lucky players with a 52%+ WR. When you know before the round starts pretty much what each ship is going to do, and how they'll die, it really takes the fun out. I've started a pool with myself each round on who dies first and how, and I'm sadly almost always right.

[SALVO]
Members
17,031 posts
17,629 battles
1 hour ago, hobblegoat said:

p2w this year more than any previous, in my eyes ranked should be a level playing field, loyangs and knuts are proving decisive in every game i have played

I have to disagree with this completely.  Bensons, Bismarks, North Carolinas, and Amagis are every bit as good as their premium ship counter parts.  The closest ship I see as arguably P2W here is the Kutozov, since it was banned from  sale for supposedly being OP.  But other than that, I don't see any of the other tier 8 premiums as being OP at all.  I'm playing the Kidd quite a lot in RkB's, and one could make a case for it being a little OP as a counter-DD destroyer.  However, once there are no more DD's to engage, it's no where close to OP, given its weak torpedo armament.  The Kidd is arguably the best counter DD destroyer at tier 8, but I think that the Benson may be a better all around choice, because it's almost as good at counter DD work, and it brings very respectable torps for anti-heavy ship work.

The only reason I could see to block the use of premium ships would be that it would be a way to block completely inexperienced players from buying their way into a tier 8 ship, just to play ranked.  That said, I'd be very PO'd if I couldn't use my premiums, because I would not like to have to pay to move my best captains into tier 8 regular ships.  This is why I like the premiums, because I can move great captains into them at no cost.  I have both the Bismarck and Tirpitz.  But my Bismark has a relative weak captain in her right now, because her original CO graduated to the FDG and then to the GK.  And I wouldn't want to have to pay 500 gold just  to move my 19 point  GK captain into the Bismarck and another 500 to move it back after the end of the RkB season.

[SALVO]
Members
17,031 posts
17,629 battles
2 hours ago, Jarink said:

Actually, I think that this season has been half  decent, in spite of my early difficulties.  It's not as campy as the two previous seasons because of the changes to the smoke rules. No more smoking up BBs.  And we don't have Belfasts being a massive pain with their combo of smoke, radar, and hydro at a tier with very little radar.  And last season at tier 6, while I liked the tier 6 ships well enough, it was still really campy due to the smoke still hiding BBs who were shooting.

Also, this season of tier 8's has more variety to it than the previous tier 8 season, 3 seasons ago, because of a greater variety of tier 8's to work with (plus the smoke mechanic changes).

All in all, I think that this season has been less campy than most previous seasons, in large part due to the  smoke changes.  But if they wanted to further reduce campiness, they'd need to change the maps and battle modes used, because it seems to me that some of these maps encourage some degree of static play.

Members
3,468 posts
6,161 battles

Season before last was horrific for me - played 10 games and packed it in.  Got up to rank 10 last season and this season have been as high as 13 or 12 before falling back.  I have had good games and really sucky games (my low Karma has taken a beating) ;)  But - nice to get some flags, camo, and silver.

[PLPT]
Members
628 posts
6,788 battles

What makes it so bad this year is that it comes right after Clan Battles.  We just had a season of *gasp* actual team play, and now we have to slog through this mess they call "Ranked."  A bad player is far more impactful on the team's results than a good player.

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 1

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,939 battles

I have very little motivation to play ranked with T8. The only T8 ships I have is the Bismarck and Hipper. I would like to play Bismarck but DDs seem to run wild. I would also like to play the Hipper but I will get skinned alive if I do.

I'd prefer to keep playing within the happy tiers of 5-7. My preference. I enjoyed T6 ranked last season though. 

Edited by RighteousRhyno

Members
139 posts
7,892 battles

Huh? This is totally different experience than mine for sure. I love tie 8 ranked battles. I did 44 games in 2 days with a 70% WR mostly in the Atago currently sitting at rank 10.

I only play rank battle when it's on tie 8 cause this is the Tie your ship really become capable on its own. before tie 8, almost every ship has some kind big shortcoming and I hate to play any ship with handicaps.

you will get punished hard if you made mistakes because all of your enemy ships are capable of doing that. maybe that is why it not as "enjoyable" for you.

balance wise, yes, it's pretty bad if you only have a few ships to choose from, like you can never have an enjoyable game for you and your team in a German CA above rank 10.

I suggest you watch this video about it. if you have one of the top tie ships in the video, get some practice in it,  then the tie 8 rank battle should be the best part of WOWS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mINPLILEaks&t=1231s

Members
3,468 posts
6,161 battles
7 hours ago, RighteousRhyno said:

I have very little motivation to play ranked with T8. The only T8 ships I have is the Bismarck and Hipper. I would like to play Bismarck but DDs seem to run wild. I would also like to play the Hipper but I will get skinned alive if I do.

Bis would be one of the best then with really good secondaries and nice torpedo belt.  Can't remember the last time I was actually really worried about DDs in the Bis.

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,595 battles
13 hours ago, hobblegoat said:

You haven't been here long have you?  Remember the Winfast season?  That was far more p2w than anything this year.  

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
436 posts
18,678 battles

I'm at rank 8 now and I see no camping. Just a lot of Online tears and constant whining.  It is a grind, But finishing something always is. There are always a lot of land mines on the road to success.  You will either get blown up, stop and be safe or grind it out till the end. Which one will be you?

[RS]
Members
77 posts
7,625 battles

Tier 8 is a decent choice for battles as there is a good selection of ships to play including premiums.

T8 regularly play against T10 so many of the ships hold their own.

New players rushing in can be frustrating but they have to learn how to play and unfortunately sometimes others suffer until they do.

You need that new player influx though to keep the game growing.

[K-P-M]
Members
1,597 posts
12,632 battles
48 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

You haven't been here long have you?  Remember the Winfast season?  That was far more p2w than anything this year.  

This^^^^^

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles
8 hours ago, n00bot said:

A bad player is far more impactful on the team's results than a good player.

^^This

I've checked and I've been doing roughly the same amounts of damage and sinkings as I've averaged over the past several months. I know it's easy to say "It's not MY fault", but I don't think it is in this case. I have a solid 57% WR in randoms and easily got to rank 12 in last season with around a 65%WR (I stopped mostly due to lack of time to play). Right now I'm at Rank 17 with a 35% WR. Seems something is off. Shouldn't the garbage players statistically even out?

Yes, there as many bad players guilty of yolo-ing as camping, but it seems like half the players in this ranked season somehow think both are great strategies. I even had one game where our lone DD thought it was a great idea to border creep all the way around the enemy (like you see at tier III or IV). Naturally, he was the last to die after all of us had been sunk struggling to contest one of the caps. I don't really know what the cause is of all the bad play but it is frustrating as heck.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,602 posts
5,147 battles
7 hours ago, ShatteredJade said:

Huh? This is totally different experience than mine for sure. I love tie 8 ranked battles. I did 44 games in 2 days with a 70% WR mostly in the Atago currently sitting at rank 10.

I only play rank battle when it's on tie 8 cause this is the Tie your ship really become capable on its own. before tie 8, almost every ship has some kind big shortcoming and I hate to play any ship with handicaps.

you will get punished hard if you made mistakes because all of your enemy ships are capable of doing that. maybe that is why it not as "enjoyable" for you.

balance wise, yes, it's pretty bad if you only have a few ships to choose from, like you can never have an enjoyable game for you and your team in a German CA above rank 10.

I suggest you watch this video about it. if you have one of the top tie ships in the video, get some practice in it,  then the tie 8 rank battle should be the best part of WOWS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mINPLILEaks&t=1231s

I would like to offer a translation for your post. this is a free service, because I care.

"Huh?"  = I am currently confused because you are not just like me.

(all the rest) = I used to have a tie with ships on it. pretty much everybody hated that tie, because it was brown, and I wore it with my blue suits, and it was striped, which clashed my paisley shirts. I thought it was adorable with my bell bottom slacks, as the british navy used to wear those ? (ed. note: I am just the translator, not making this stuff up this time). CAs are proving to be very strong in ranked, particularly the German CAs above tie 10.

again, there is no charge for this service. happy holidays!!  :o)

Members
139 posts
7,892 battles
1 minute ago, not_acceptable said:

I would like to offer a translation for your post. this is a free service, because I care.

"Huh?"  = I am currently confused because you are not just like me.

(all the rest) = I used to have a tie with ships on it. pretty much everybody hated that tie, because it was brown, and I wore it with my blue suits, and it was striped, which clashed my paisley shirts. I thought it was adorable with my bell bottom slacks, as the british navy used to wear those ? (ed. note: I am just the translator, not making this stuff up this time). CAs are proving to be very strong in ranked, particularly the German CAs above tie 10.

again, there is no charge for this service. happy holidays!!  :o)

Hmm, you such a troll.  LOL

but happy holidays to you too troll.