You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
diddlyv

Two Best Tier VIII ships for ranked and why

22 comments in this topic

[TORP]
[TORP]
Members
235 posts
20,211 battles

What are the Best 2 DD, CA, BB for Ranked and why, you can add CVs but I lack the requisite skill to successfully drive a CV in ranked battles. The selected ships can include premium

Edited by diddlyv
add'l input

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles

Prinz Eugen (and Hipper) and Atago, z23 and Kidd, Tirpitz and Alabama (and North Carolina)

Edited by GreyFox78659
  • Bad 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Ultimately, a ship that you do well in..

You'll have to rewind to the beginning. I'm mobile on a new phone.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,840 battles
23 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Prinz Eugen (and Hipper) and Atago, z23 and Kidd, Tirpitz and Alabama (and North Carolina)

lol... cruisers with RADAR help a lot the team (none of these, the New Orleans, but really weak). Or smoke for a while (kutuzov). Z23 has the concealment of a whale, only better than russians (seen some kievs on the game... they did nothing, were an impair). BBs ok, german or american ones good, japanese valid.

On dds, the four stars:

Kidd: good firepower and speed, capable of repair. Just one torpedo launcher, and bad. 

Harekaze: acceptable guns and torps, but boy, that concealment... 0.5 km better than anyone, a winning item here

Lo Yang: a nerfed benson... with a hydro, another winning item

Benson: good overall, no gimmicks. Good torps, speed, great smoke, good guns. Jack of all trades

Why not akizuki? looks great, excellent guns, but in one word: SLOW. A severe problem in ranked.

Kagero can be a surprise, but have to pick the torp reload booster... and lose the smoke. A hard choice, in good hands is really good, but a bad move and its game over

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,953 battles

Ultimately it comes down to the versatility.

Kidd / Lo Yang

Kutuzov / Atago

Ncal / Amagi

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,109 posts
17,770 battles

Best 2 DDs, CAs, and BBs?

Battleships:

I tend to think that any of the tier 8 battleships are more than good enough to get the job done in Ranked.  Premium BBs have the advantage that if you have a great BB captain sitting in another non-tier 8 BB, you can move him into the premium without spending the gold for retraining.

The German BBs are a little more use friendly due to their turtleback armor, but have the mild downside that their 15" guns aren't quite as potent as the 16" guns on other tier 8 BBs.

The two USN BBs have the advantage of having six 16" guns up front and the ability to bow tank, which is a useful ability in the right hands.

Cruisers:

Honestly, I don't see any of the tier 8 cruisers as especially good in an environment where they're often going to be on teams where BBs are outnumbering them.  The 2 Russian cruisers have the advantage of good long range guns for HE spamming.  The Atago/Takao has good, hard hitting guns with excellent HE, but their range is a bit meh at only 15.5 km.  And they're perhaps a little squishy even for cruisers.  The Edinborough is squishy as all hell.  I'm not particularly impressed by the Hipper/Eugen due to its weak HE and low number of guns.

Overall, unless you're a really good cruiser player, it seems to me to be a lot safer to bring a battleship, if for no other reason than their durability.

Destroyers:

Honestly, I favor the Kidd, Benson, and Lo Yang.  And I suppose the Hsienyang (since it's based on a USN design as well).  They're all good gunboat DDs for counter DD work, and all except the Kidd have respectable torps, though remember that the Hsienyang's torps are DWTs that can't touch other DDs.  The Akizuki is almost at this level as well, as it's a good gunboat.  it's down side is its low (for a DD) speed.

A downside to the Lo Yang is that up until recently with the introduction of the PA DD line, it was a DD where you had to grind up a good captain the hard way, since there were no tech tree DDs you could take a good captain out of.  This has since changed, but perhaps not everyone has a well skilled PA DD captain yet.  So buying a Lo Yang now without a DD skipper to put in her might not be the best idea for an effective RkB's DD.

I suppose that the Z-23 may be at this level.  I don't know honestly because I haven't gotten up to it on the German DD line, and see very few of them in RkB's.

I'm not really fond of pure torpedo boats in Ranked because torpedoes are inherently unreliable weapons.  And pure torp boats tend to get their butts handed to them by gunboat DDs in any sort of DDvDD brawl.

There might be a place for a fully upgraded Kiev with a highly skilled captain.  Though it won't have the concealment of other DDs, on certain maps, such as Sea of Fortune or the C cap region on Hotspot where the quarters are so tight that there's little place for a stealthier DD to hide from a Kiev, the Kiev can be surprisingly effective.  And don't forget that it has two launchers of five 8km torps each that shouldn't be dismissed.  

And lastly, the Ognevoi.  I'm not certain what to think of this one.  It's sort of like a pure torp DD, but with perhaps a little better guns, though not many of them.

Anyways, that's my take on this question.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,109 posts
17,770 battles
14 minutes ago, Fastwolf66 said:

lol... cruisers with RADAR help a lot the team (none of these, the New Orleans, but really weak). Or smoke for a while (kutuzov). Z23 has the concealment of a whale, only better than russians (seen some kievs on the game... they did nothing, were an impair). BBs ok, german or american ones good, japanese valid.

On dds, the four stars:

Kidd: good firepower and speed, capable of repair. Just one torpedo launcher, and bad. 

Harekaze: acceptable guns and torps, but boy, that concealment... 0.5 km better than anyone, a winning item here

Lo Yang: a nerfed benson... with a hydro, another winning item

Benson: good overall, no gimmicks. Good torps, speed, great smoke, good guns. Jack of all trades

Why not akizuki? looks great, excellent guns, but in one word: SLOW. A severe problem in ranked.

Kagero can be a surprise, but have to pick the torp reload booster... and lose the smoke. A hard choice, in good hands is really good, but a bad move and its game over

I think that you're missing the Hsienyang.  It should probably be close to the other USN -style DDs.  The torps are good ... as long as you're not expecting to hit any DDs.

[SALVO]
Members
17,109 posts
17,770 battles
8 minutes ago, pastore123 said:

If wg were to release The Roma next week, how do you think it would place in ranked?

Unless it was a stinker of a BB, I think that it would be at least as good as any of the other tier 8 BB's.  As I said above, I tend to think that all of the current tier 8 BBs, regular or premium, are sufficiently good to hold their own in Ranked.

That said, different t8 BBs have slightly different strengths and play styles.  The 2 USN BBs are solid at bow on tactics.  OTOH, the 2 German BBs with only half their guns up front (the other half in the rear) seem to be better at maneuvering tactics where they can get all their guns into play, while at the same time, trying to be close enough to use their excellent secondaries.  And the IJN BBs (Amagi and Kii) seem like they're better suited to fighting at range where they're able to fight and maneuver to get all their guns on target and use their good accuracy to best effect.  Also, the IJN BBs only have 4 of their 10 guns up front.  And while I suppose they could bow tank, losing that much of their firepower doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

The Monarch is the wild card here to me.  It has a turret layout similar to the USN BBs, but it's an RN BB with the excellent HE and somewhat iffy AP.  And I'm not entirely sure how good her armor is.  I won't say that the Monarch is a bad BB to bring to ranked.  Heck, with that HE, it might be nasty as heck on bow on enemy BBs.

As for the Roma, I don't know what its strengths and weaknesses are, so it's difficult to gauge where it would fall on the spectrum of tier 8 BBs, though regardless of that, I still suspect that it will be sufficiently good to hold it's own in Ranked as long as its played to its strengths.

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,607 battles

Seeing a lot of bensons/ lo yangs, chappys/ atagos, and NC/Ala's doing well. The other ships seem to be mediocre at best. Haven't seen a single Monarch, except one, do well.

Members
180 posts
7,795 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

The Monarch is the wild card here to me.  It has a turret layout similar to the USN BBs, but it's an RN BB with the excellent HE and somewhat iffy AP.  And I'm not entirely sure how good her armor is.  I won't say that the Monarch is a bad BB to bring to ranked.  Heck, with that HE, it might be nasty as heck on bow on enemy BBs.

I suspect it'd be fine for ranks 10+, but past that the fire management skills it's going to be dealing with will be hard to contend with. And don't forget everyone gets a ton of extra -20% burn signal flags along the way there. Just a inkling, but it is indeed a wild card. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,109 posts
17,770 battles
15 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

Seeing a lot of bensons/ lo yangs, chappys/ atagos, and NC/Ala's doing well. The other ships seem to be mediocre at best. Haven't seen a single Monarch, except one, do well.

I don't know, but it seems to me that nearly all tier 8 BB's have done well enough.  IMO they're all fairly good BBs that can perform more than well enough in the hands of capable players.  I've played some battles in my BBs (far less than my DDs) and I've used the Bama, the Tirpitz, and one battle in my Amagi, and have some fairly well in all 3.  The one that performed the weakest was the Tirp, and honestly, I only credit that to small sample size (only 1-2 battles) and not being in an effective position to get the most out of her.  The single game I had in the Amagi, I did over 100k damage in a loss, so I more than held my own.  And I've tended to have consistently good games in my  Bama, in large part because I know how to fight it effectively.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,779 posts
6,788 battles

Lo Yang, because hydro.

Secondary-spec Bismarck, because hydro.

But really -- any ship you like. I'm going to play a lot Tirpitz, for instance, because BB torpedoes are hilarious.

[LOS]
Members
564 posts
7,889 battles

I've been in a dozen matches.  All in my Bammy, split AA/Secondary build.   From what I see it's almost all Ala/NC and Biz/Tirp....slugfests that are quite fun.  Everything else is a sideshow except one side seems to end up with a lone surviving DD and it seems to be a Benson or Lo.  Oh well...going back in the ring!

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
412 posts
5,681 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Unless it was a stinker of a BB, I think that it would be at least as good as any of the other tier 8 BB's.  As I said above, I tend to think that all of the current tier 8 BBs, regular or premium, are sufficiently good to hold their own in Ranked.

That said, different t8 BBs have slightly different strengths and play styles.  The 2 USN BBs are solid at bow on tactics.  OTOH, the 2 German BBs with only half their guns up front (the other half in the rear) seem to be better at maneuvering tactics where they can get all their guns into play, while at the same time, trying to be close enough to use their excellent secondaries.  And the IJN BBs (Amagi and Kii) seem like they're better suited to fighting at range where they're able to fight and maneuver to get all their guns on target and use their good accuracy to best effect.  Also, the IJN BBs only have 4 of their 10 guns up front.  And while I suppose they could bow tank, losing that much of their firepower doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

As for the Roma, I don't know what its strengths and weaknesses are, so it's difficult to gauge where it would fall on the spectrum of tier 8 BBs, though regardless of that, I still suspect that it will be sufficiently good to hold it's own in Ranked as long as its played to its strengths.

I agree. I would like to think that it would actually be a top contender because of the concealment. Plus I would like to see what the end result with the sigma would be. 

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,563 posts
3,539 battles

A concealment build NO can be good, but requires a good captain, 9km Radar with 9.1km concealment with those superheavy 8" guns (did 44k damage to a Bismark at 10km, he missed every shell  it seemed like lol)

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

Tirp and Lo Yang.

Tirpitztorpz for Tirpitz.

Lo Yang has a conceal of 5.8 which is really, really good. Her Sonar detect is 5.4.

Vs. Destroyers that is better imo than a radar cruiser.

Edited by atPrick__

Members
1,870 posts
9,000 battles
On 12/25/2017 at 6:29 PM, diddlyv said:

What are the Best 2 DD, CA, BB for Ranked and why, you can add CVs but I lack the requisite skill to successfully drive a CV in ranked battles. The selected ships can include premium

Kidd - Heal, AA, US smoke

Lo Yang - Super Hydro, US smoke

Chapyev - Radar

Atago - Heal, trollish armor

Amagi - Great guns, Fast, Great Torpedo protection, Turtleback

Alabama - Great guns, Maneuverable, Great Torpedo protection