Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
rabidrabit

Running the Akizuki in ranked?

6 comments in this topic

[SCCC]
Members
208 posts
11,995 battles

I just picked up the ship and am still figuring it out but it seems to have solid potential in Ranked as something besides my Benson.  Any tips on captain skills or tactics?  Debating the value of using its stupid long range (15K) to IFHE the the heck out of some ships at times vs a more traditional approach.  How helpful is IFHE at tier 8 vs using the 4 points on something else and using the plenty good 12.5 range less so?  Before I get the onslaught of noobs criticism, I'm going to run a 19 point captain and some quality time in random battles to get more used to it.  I generally do quite well in all types of DD's and have ranked out five times.  So, any pro tips of the Akizuki in Ranked? 

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles
1 hour ago, rabidrabit said:

I just picked up the ship and am still figuring it out but it seems to have solid potential in Ranked as something besides my Benson.  Any tips on captain skills or tactics?  Debating the value of using its stupid long range (15K) to IFHE the the heck out of some ships at times vs a more traditional approach.  How helpful is IFHE at tier 8 vs using the 4 points on something else and using the plenty good 12.5 range less so?  Before I get the onslaught of noobs criticism, I'm going to run a 19 point captain and some quality time in random battles to get more used to it.  I generally do quite well in all types of DD's and have ranked out five times.  So, any pro tips of the Akizuki in Ranked? 

Rabid, IFHE is a critically necessary skill for the Akizuki.  Absolutely critical, because its small guns will not have enough pen otherwise to be all that useful.  Also, AFT is generally a waste on this DD, IMO.  Your shell are way too floaty to be accurate at those ranges.  And it would be a waste of 4 skill points that you need elsewhere.  Also, by not taking AFT, you don't have so far to travel to get out of your max gun range of you want to get undetected before your gun bloom penalty expires.

I suggest looking up the Akizuki on shipcomrade.com's captain's skill calculator to see what other people think the skill mix for the ship should be.  But generally it's going to come down to these skills: Last Stand, some mix of BFT, DE, Superintendent, or SurvExp at level 3, and IFHE and CE at level 4.  Also, AR at level 2 is worth considering.

[SYN]
Members
14,467 posts
10,482 battles

For ranked Akizuki, I would take something like IFHE, CE, SE and SI

[INTEL]
Members
6,671 posts
25,818 battles

Akizuki must have IFHE. Do not take it out except into Coop without it.

AFT not so good. Not recommended.

I am not sure I would take Akizuki to Ranked, esp. if you are new to the ship.

Fast reload, pew-pew machine and an excellent DD killer but slow and clumsy. A same tier cruiser will out run you.

[SCCC]
Members
208 posts
11,995 battles

Definitely not going to take it into ranked until I put a lot more time in it.  The only reason for considering not using IFHE is that ranked is limited to tier 8 and I wasn't sure how much of a difference it made there.  Like I said, just got the ship so I'm trying to wrap my mind around how playing it in Ranked vs Randoms affects Captain skills and other considerations. 

[MIA-A]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,413 battles
7 minutes ago, rabidrabit said:

Definitely not going to take it into ranked until I put a lot more time in it.  The only reason for considering not using IFHE is that ranked is limited to tier 8 and I wasn't sure how much of a difference it made there.  Like I said, just got the ship so I'm trying to wrap my mind around how playing it in Ranked vs Randoms affects Captain skills and other considerations. 

It makes a huge difference, especially since you're only seeing T8 ships. Without IFHE, your 100mm peashooters are going to shatter on DD plating, and cruiser/BB superstructures when using HE. 

I've been using Akizuki almost exclusively in Ranked and it does very well... But you need to know how to play to strengths and avoid weaknesses, because when Akizuki runs out of options, it does so fast and gets splattered. 

Captain skills (semi-hybrid AA gunboat build):

PT+PM

LS / and AR and something else. 

SE / DE BFT (playstyle choice, I like the extra HP) 

IFHE+MFAA+CE / substitute MFAA for RPF if you want a hunter build, or put those four points into another 3 plus a 1, or two more twos

Sign in to follow this