You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pepperct

Help with Commander training

24 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
63 posts
3,025 battles

I just received my first premium ship, the Alabama from a Santa crate and would like to use her to train my other captains but I’m not really sure how. It came with a 10 point captain. I have a Farragut with a captain at 6 points and a Cleveland with a 10 point commander. Do I take him and play him in my Alabama until I get the needed points? Can you use a BB to train CV/DD captains? I have enough doubloons to buy a Saipan for my carrier commanders but can’t I just take one of the cv captains and place him in my Alabama for the skill points? I have a bunch of cammo,s and flags to help with the points too. If any on you have some advice on the best way to use a premium ship with the captains I have it would sure help. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

[INTEL]
Members
6,664 posts
25,772 battles

You can move a captain from a regular tree ship and put it in a Premium ship (of the same nation) with no penalty. Then you can bring him back (to the same ship) with no penalty.

You can do this over and over, say  play the captain twice in one day in both ships to take advantage of the daily bonus twice.

Of course captains trained for a DD do not necessarily work well in a BB or CV as the skill set is different, so you train several captains.

Do not put the captain from the Premium back into a different ship or it will have to be retrained (goes orange).

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,745 posts
3,490 battles

Let me sum it up real quick for you about Premium's and Captains:

• They can go on any Premium ship of the same nation, and always have all their skills, trained or not.
    • The Anime ships and the Dragon ships can hold Japanese Captain's, and they can use those ships.
    • The German anime ship can do the same for the German line
  • Premium ships can be used to gain Captain XP to finish retraining.
  • Premium ships generally have a camouflage with a bonus that speeds up the gain of Captain XP.
  • * I personally try to keep Captain's on Premium's that are similar to what line/ship they are currently on. So I use a Sims for my DD Captains, a Indianapolis for my Cruiser Captains, an Alabama for my Battleship Captains, and a Enterprise for my Carrier Captains. That way you don't have an odd skill setup for a ship.

Recommended USN Battleship Build; First 10 Points:

• 1 Point - Priority Target - This basically lets you know if someone is likely to be shooting at you, and if you may need to fall back if you're being focused. It's a great tool to judge when a DD might be sending torpedoes your way if you know he's in the area and spotting you, even if you can't see him back.
  • 2 Points - Adrenaline Rush - Your turrets are among the quickest in the game for BBs, so taking Adrenaline Rush is the best option, allowing you to get more hits in as your BB takes damage throughout the battle.
  • 3 Points - Superintendent - This is super important to keep your ship alive, giving you extra charges of Repair Party. Combine that with Premium (for credits) Consumables for Repair Party, and the faster reload speed for Damage Control Party and you've made your ship much better at surviving than an opponent without the 2 extra repairs.
  • Concealment Expert - The USN BBs have great, hard hitting AP shells, but they tend to have a longer flight time than many other Battleships. They are instead blessed with great concealment, which allows them to get much closer before engaging. Taking Concealment Expert makes your strengths even better.

Beta Testers
1,055 posts
13,833 battles

It is recommended however that you use premium DDs to train DD captains, premium cruisers to train Cruiser captains and of course BB premiums to train BB captains. This is because  each class of boat requires specialization in different skills. Here is a link that has WGs recommended builds. https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/masteryourcommanders/

Members
9,976 posts
2 hours ago, pepperct said:

I just received my first premium ship, the Alabama from a Santa crate and would like to use her to train my other captains but I’m not really sure how. It came with a 10 point captain. I have a Farragut with a captain at 6 points and a Cleveland with a 10 point commander. Do I take him and play him in my Alabama until I get the needed points? Can you use a BB to train CV/DD captains? I have enough doubloons to buy a Saipan for my carrier commanders but can’t I just take one of the cv captains and place him in my Alabama for the skill points? I have a bunch of cammo,s and flags to help with the points too. If any on you have some advice on the best way to use a premium ship with the captains I have it would sure help. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Honestly, you money, your time and your game.

But seeing as you've only been playing 3 months, and blocked your stats, I would have to assume that you don't have much if any experience at Tier 8.

Alabama is a nice ship, but it's not a forgiving one to players who aren't experienced. Playng top tier is not like playing mid and low tier, you'll see more competent players, and far more dangerous ships.

I'm beginning to think that people rushing up the line and not learning anything is one of the reasons this game has retention issues.

Again, your money, your time, your game, but rushing up the ladder really isn't very good for you,, you miss out on learning some basic skills you need later, and most people are going to find it exceedingly frustrating.

Congrats on the good gift, but I honestly hope you put it aside for awhile to avoid the issues it's likely to create for you.

[WOLF6]
Members
63 posts
3,025 battles

Those are really good points. Right now I’m happy at playing the tier 6 Cleveland, Farragut and Indy. But since I got the Alabama I wanted to see how I could use it to advance those captains. I never really thought about having to play a tier 8 ship to advance them, only that it was a premium ship which would make it easier. Seeing that the skills are the same I thought I could put the Cleveland or Farragut captain in my premium ship, play a few games for the skill points then move them back to their original ships. Is that how you use a premium ship for advancement? 

I am pretty new at this game having only started in September but I’m trying to learn new steps as they become available to me. I’ve never had a premium ship so I wanted to see how to best use it for my tier 6 ships. I’m sure there are going to a lot of new players playing higher tier ships for the next few months since they won them this Christmas. 

Also, how do you unblock your stats?

[PVE]
Members
9,769 posts
7,478 battles
1 hour ago, pepperct said:

Those are really good points. Right now I’m happy at playing the tier 6 Cleveland, Farragut and Indy. But since I got the Alabama I wanted to see how I could use it to advance those captains. I never really thought about having to play a tier 8 ship to advance them, only that it was a premium ship which would make it easier. Seeing that the skills are the same I thought I could put the Cleveland or Farragut captain in my premium ship, play a few games for the skill points then move them back to their original ships. Is that how you use a premium ship for advancement? 

I am pretty new at this game having only started in September but I’m trying to learn new steps as they become available to me. I’ve never had a premium ship so I wanted to see how to best use it for my tier 6 ships. I’m sure there are going to a lot of new players playing higher tier ships for the next few months since they won them this Christmas. 

Also, how do you unblock your stats?

Yes, that is exactly how you use premiums as captain trainers. Let's say you want to work on the Cleveland captain as there is a US cruiser split next year and the T6 Cleveland will become the T8 Cleveland. So you play a battle in the Cleveland and get the first win bonus. (Plus any flags, camo, etc that you use on all the ships) Now you move the captain to the Alabama and get the first win bonus there. If you have other US premiums, you can move the captain to those too for their first win bonuses. You do not want to move the Cleveland captain to any other tech tree ship, as you will end up retraining him. And once he starts retraining, you have to do retraining again if you move him back to the Cleveland from another tech tree ship.

There is another use for premiums for captain training and that is when you are retraining a captain. While a captain is retraining on a tech tree ship, the skills are cut in half or don't work at all. On a premium ship though, the skills work at full power. Let's say you move your current Farragut captain to the Mahan when you get it. Unless you use 500 doubloons, you will need to do some XP retraining on the captain. You can spend 200,000 silver to cut the retraining XP in half and if you have Elite Captain XP, from a mission or 19 pt captain, then you can use it and/or FXP to finish off the retraining XP if you don't want to grind it.

Of course the skills on a Cleveland captain will work best on a premium cruiser, but you can put him in any US premium. If you have the Cleveland skills set for AA, then the Alabama is nice as it has lots of AA too. I have some low level premiums and I use them to grind captains that have skills that are too different from one of my higher tier ships. Higher tier ships are dependent on having some skills, but low tier ships are not, so use a low tier premium to grind a CV captain if you don't have the Saipan or Enterprise. The T2 DD Smith is for sale in the tech tree in game for doubloons I believe and should be 1-2k doubloons or so. The Marblehead is a T5 CL and has been power creeped a bit, but is also for sale in the tech tree for doubloons. The Enterprise in also for sale in the tech tree for 11,900 doubloons, but you will want to ask a CV driver about it or read LWM's review from the thread below.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/123-new-player-guides/

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/139-game-guides-and-tutorials/

Do check out the New Player Guides forum, if you haven't already, as there is a lot of good info there. Most everyone on the forums will be helpful in answering questions, but try ignore the trolls if you can as they just like throwing poo.  

For unlocking the stats, go to the WorldofWarships.com web page and login. Then click on PLAYERS to bring up your stats. There is a field by Profile privacy in the left middle of the screen where you can hide/unhide your stats. While your stats are unhidden, the third party stat websites will collect your stats. If you hide them again, the stats that were collected will stay, but new stats will be hidden.

Good Luck and Fair Seas

Edited by Kizarvexis

[WOLF6]
Members
63 posts
3,025 battles

Thanks Kizarvexis, that helped a lot. I was able to pick up an Atlanta for a good price so I think that will be a little more forgiving then the Alabama. Hangglide42 put out a real good list of game improvements in the new players guide that I have been reading which Really helps to understand all aspects of the game. 

[PVE]
Members
9,769 posts
7,478 battles
1 minute ago, pepperct said:

Thanks Kizarvexis, that helped a lot. I was able to pick up an Atlanta for a good price so I think that will be a little more forgiving then the Alabama. Hangglide42 put out a real good list of game improvements in the new players guide that I have been reading which Really helps to understand all aspects of the game. 

You are welcome. I have read @hangglide42's posts and learned stuff even tho I have been playing a year.  @enderland07 is quite right that the Alabama is more forgiving.

Atlanta has a high skill floor and can die really quickly. Play her like a DD with a citadel and hide behind islands and smoke. The high shell arc is similar, but a little different to the Cleveland. Only use her torps for self defense or ambushes.

If you like DD play, Smith is a fun little T2 to play. She has 5 - 76.2mm guns with 3.5 second reload, so you shoot at DDs and superstructure. The most fun is her 3 single tube torpedo launchers. Yeah, you can only fire two per broadside, but they reload in 11.1 seconds stock. The Torpedo Armament Expertise skill that you have on any of your tech tree US DDs will make it 11 seconds flat. Since it is a premium, you just throw on your best DD captains and have fun. Since she is T2, she shouldn't cost much. If you don't like DD play, then you may not care for her, but since you are at the T6 Farragut, I'm guessing you do. Marblehead is a T5 CL with thin armor, so she can train DD captains as well. Not saying you need to buy more premiums, just letting you know about them as I have all the US premiums.

If you have not tried the other nations, I found that the German ships are close to the US and it wasn't too hard to change my game play for them. I have tried all the nations and I think that they are all fun in their own ways.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,865 posts
1,338 battles

Most of my 10 point captains I got from boxes went into the 'top of the line' ships of classes.  So, for example, one nation I got 3 10 point captains.  Now I have 10 point captains in my highest tier DD, CA, and BB that I have.  Since I can freely move captains into the premiums, I can do so and then put them back where they came from.   Just happened that in this nation, I got, or had, a premium of each type, so I can train more easily with it.  

[PVE]
Members
9,769 posts
7,478 battles
3 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Most of my 10 point captains I got from boxes went into the 'top of the line' ships of classes.  So, for example, one nation I got 3 10 point captains.  Now I have 10 point captains in my highest tier DD, CA, and BB that I have.  Since I can freely move captains into the premiums, I can do so and then put them back where they came from.   Just happened that in this nation, I got, or had, a premium of each type, so I can train more easily with it.  

I started off with captains in each of my premium ships and wasted lots of potential. When the skill change happened back in Jan '17, I moved everyone around and put the highest at the top of the tech trees. I keep the captains in tech tree ships and move one to a premium when I want to play it. I try to grind some back up captains for my current top tech tree ships, so that when I move the captain up to the new ship, I have someone decent to step into place.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,865 posts
1,338 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

I started off with captains in each of my premium ships and wasted lots of potential. When the skill change happened back in Jan '17, I moved everyone around and put the highest at the top of the tech trees. I keep the captains in tech tree ships and move one to a premium when I want to play it. I try to grind some back up captains for my current top tech tree ships, so that when I move the captain up to the new ship, I have someone decent to step into place.

After boxes this time, I even have a couple 'extra' captains lying around.  I gave Atlanta her own captain to play with.  Of course, I can use her to train anyway, but she plays even better with her own custom build.  Also, I'm a little late to the party on the Pan-Asian DDs.  However, I got Anshan and Loyang in Santa boxes, so my T2 Pan-Asian DD has a 10-point captain already. 

[PVE]
Members
9,769 posts
7,478 battles
1 minute ago, mavfin87 said:

After boxes this time, I even have a couple 'extra' captains lying around.  I gave Atlanta her own captain to play with.  Of course, I can use her to train anyway, but she plays even better with her own custom build.  Also, I'm a little late to the party on the Pan-Asian DDs.  However, I got Anshan and Loyang in Santa boxes, so my T2 Pan-Asian DD has a 10-point captain already. 

I have been sharing my 11 point Cleveland captain with Atlanta for now. Eventually, some day when I have a spare 10+ point captain, I may give Atlanta her own captain. Will probably be one of the AA captains that you can build for some of the high tier US tech tree DDs that Atlanta will use until I have a need for an AA US DD captain. I have a spare 10 pt US captain that is a B/U captain for the Colorado. My 13 pt Colorado captain will move to the North Carolina.

I have had Anshan and Loyang since the Armada bundle last year and maybe took out the Anshan a few times. Almost all my PA captains (I'm up to T3) are 3 pts. I have just got the Farragut and Gnevny, so I'm not good at mid to high DD play. I got a Huanghe in the current Santa boxes, so I do have a 10 pt captain for the PA DDs. I went ahead and made the Huanghe captain skills PT, LS,  DE and CE for use in the PA DDs.

[WOLF6]
Members
63 posts
3,025 battles

I too have a Cleveland with a 11 point captain so that’s what I’ll use in the Atlanta until I get him up to 19 points. But since this ship didn’t come with a captain at some point I’ll have to start a new captain if I want the Atlanta to have its own. The US line is what I’ve been playing so up until the Santa crates that all I had. Now I have a few of the other nations to try. Good thing for YouTube videos on all the ship types. 

Thanks for all the help and links. 

[PVE]
Members
9,769 posts
7,478 battles
1 hour ago, pepperct said:

I too have a Cleveland with a 11 point captain so that’s what I’ll use in the Atlanta until I get him up to 19 points. But since this ship didn’t come with a captain at some point I’ll have to start a new captain if I want the Atlanta to have its own. The US line is what I’ve been playing so up until the Santa crates that all I had. Now I have a few of the other nations to try. Good thing for YouTube videos on all the ship types. 

Thanks for all the help and links. 

You are welcome. Good luck and fair seas.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,258 posts
2,029 battles

If you're going to play the Alabama, and you haven't had much experience with USN BBs... Play a lot in co-op until you're comfortable with the ship.

Tier VIII BBs are a very different ballgame from lower tier ships, and if you don't have the experience you will get punished for it. I'm a pretty good BB player for what I play, but the only USN BB I'd ever touched before Alabama was the Arkansas... And when I got the 'Bama, it took some getting used to. I'm still not great with the guns.

Some of the things, especially when it comes to the behavior of other players, will be hard or even impossible to learn outside of randoms.

Get used to the amount of lead time you need to give at range, how fast the ship will turn, how the armor behaves. Know your ship, and then go into randoms.

I thought I could play her right after outfitting her and messing around with the guns in co-op - I've played plenty of BBs before.

I got punished for it, hard XD

Alabama really is a great ship. You just have to make sure you know what it can and can't do - and those guns. Yikes, is the time to target lon.!

Members
18,251 posts
5,220 battles
15 hours ago, SgtSpud said:

It is recommended however that you use premium DDs to train DD captains, premium cruisers to train Cruiser captains and of course BB premiums to train BB captains. This is because  each class of boat requires specialization in different skills. Here is a link that has WGs recommended builds. https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/masteryourcommanders/

To be fair though, if you are only going to have 1 premium for a nation, a cruiser is probably best for training captains of other ship types.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles

There’s different ways of doing the Captain training thing and as has been said you can move a Captain from a premium ship to any other ship same nation with no penalty however BB skills will not fit a DD and so on if I were you I’d grind the 10 pointer to 19 and then use the Elite XP the 19 pointer makes to train up otherCaptains , you can also exchange credits forXP but that costs real $$$$

Beta Testers
1,055 posts
13,833 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

To be fair though, if you are only going to have 1 premium for a nation, a cruiser is probably best for training captains of other ship types.

Agreed.

[PROJX]
Members
972 posts
15,753 battles
19 hours ago, pepperct said:

Hey pepperct - Here's a link to WOWS Enjoyment - Getting 19 pt Captains Faster which may be of use to you.  It explains stacking and Ship alignment strategies w/ your Premiums to help you get more 19 pts captains trained up faster & start you w/ getting Free Commanders XP.  Merry Xmas to you too!

Edited by hangglide42

[WOLF6]
Members
63 posts
3,025 battles
On 12/26/2017 at 11:39 AM, hangglide42 said:

Hey pepperct - Here's a link to WOWS Enjoyment - Getting 19 pt Captains Faster which may be of use to you.  It explains stacking and Ship alignment strategies w/ your Premiums to help you get more 19 pts captains trained up faster & start you w/ getting Free Commanders XP.  Merry Xmas to you too!

Thanks Hangglide. I read through your whole series and learned a ton of stuff. But this will be good reading tonight.

So I bought the Atlanta and put my 10 point captain in her. This made more sense then using the Alabama at this time. The ship is right at the tier that I’m at. This is probably where I’m going to stay for awhile as this ship is a LOT of fun to play. Now that I understand how it works this will be my go to trainer. 

Thanks again to all.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I say use the Bama to train him to 19 and keep your other ships with the same captains once your captain on the Bama is 19 every capt. point is put in the pool for all other captains. Benefits of doing this is any elite capt points gained can be used to advance your other captains from any nation any ship. Your Bama with a 19 pointer will be awesome.I have 5 top captains I did this way. The more you use a 19 pointer the faster your other captains will rise. Don't bounce them around play them in their own ship and add the elite to them as you gain elite exp. Soon you will have more 19 pointers and all their skill points go into the kitty. No retraining costs put your capt exp signals on the Bama only till you get him  trained. then you can distribute them to the ships you want to accelerate the capt skill points as well as the Bama.  Tier 7 is the Ideal place for training but the Bama is ok as well at tier 8.