You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

It's OK to loose and the art of LEARNING

12 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,426 posts
11,973 battles

I'm going to try and stay on track here and get the message out.  I'll start with a little preamble to qualify myself and then get right to the meat.. feel free to skip the intro part if you've seen far to many of my posts!  (*grin!*)

Inspired  by the holidays, second by Simon Sinek and his speaking on Millennials in the workplace and other topics. And third by you folks yourselves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRO:

Me:  I'm an american, and a Californian over the age of 60.  I've been table top and war gaming since I was gifted with a copy of Avalons Hill's "Tactics-II" on my 11 birthday. ANd have enjoyed computer gaming since from my first OWNED computer game and that was the original "Wing Commander" which I played on a 286/20 with a whopping 2 megabytes of RAM and an EGA video card  put together from spare parts.  (Had to do work on the MB.. was licenced electronic technician at the time.  Had to replace the CMOS controller and some other parts including a CPU that had gotten fried from a power surge)

I've worked as a grunt laborer, field hand, cowboy (yes a real genuine cowboy.. and I hate horses dumbest doggone critter I swear)  Salesman, CS rep, electronic technition, computer technition, and for all practical purposes a stint of about a year as a SYSOP for a college main frame.  middle manager, and for a  about 3 years a store owner who owned a game and hobby shop in Oakland California.   I've had my heart broken and my hopes dashed more times then I care to remember.  We older folks we call this "life".   craphappens ya know, you press past and achive if you can.  No promises of success.  But it really feels fantastic when you do pull it off.  Thats all the important stuff about me that needs to be known here.  On with the meat of the post!

END INTRO

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

there see that wasn't so bad!

on to the next subject...

The ART of LEARNING.  

What? It's not an art.  you get told, you see you learn, easy.  Yea I wish!  (points at 2 years of warships play and only now starting to pull unicum level stats) For some folks it's easy for other not so much and there is every graduation between the extremes.  The best teacher I had as a kid was a civics teacher who taught me (no without one heleva struggle) to challange I believed to be truth  (I'm actually grateful for Richard Nixon.  Big lesson on "what you thought you knew was wrong!" and no I am NOT going to mention history repeating its self... this time.. no politics today!) .  That taught me that there are facts, and there are truths and that they don't always jibe with each other.   That the only differnece between (advertising) and propaganda are the words they label themselves with.   They use the same tools and techniques.   Both impact on our lives tremendously, and I see the reflection of it in MMO"s and online gaming constantly.  Yea, whadda mess!  But this is the world we live in today, and until "WE" turn it around for the NEXT generation (which has yet to be born.. we gotta a little time yet) we're stuck with it.   An important note here.  Every generation of adults gets "the JOB" for the next generation and not one of them through out ALL of human history has ever gotten it all done, or gotten it all right.  The important part is the doing.  It's not the mountain that makes the man, but the act of climbing it.  It's not the goal, it's the journey.  And yes I FUSSED over this myself this myself and did NOT like it.  You younger folk, god help ya it's your turn!  Don't give up.

We learn the really important bits in life by making mistakes (not always, and be thankful for that!).  Now there is a great deal we can learn from others, we can be taught, WE can gain from what other have learned.  Of course there is a down side.  If they learned wrong they will pass on to us their bad lessons and we will take them to heart and make the same errors they did till we realize (or not) the error(s), learn, and change.  It's so common that it is NORMAL.  There is no helping it.  Process man, stinks ya know, gotta do it anyway.  And that's really what THIS is about.  Dealing with process, specifically the process of learning to be GOOD at this game (if its at all important to you.  Might not be!  *gasp!*)  I've been criticized by those who pay a bit to much attention to the trees and miss the forest on some of my past posts trying to put together lessons I've learned in this game dealing with tactics, ship builds and more.  Things change. The game changes.  New lessons MUST supersede the old lessons. New ships, new systems, changes to old systems, new features.  The list will only get longer, as each new patch is built upon the lessons of what has gone before.   The dev's build, they learn, they watch the results.  The find new ways, mostly better sometimes worse...they correct, they incorporate the changes and lessons and they move on to the next goal (and will deal with fans/gamers/customers who missed the memo and are still harping on something that ceased to be an issue MONTHS ago. *sigh!* fair, yea, sorry!  Get over it folks.  Its a bit more rare then ya think!  Bad news, or apparent bad news always makes the front page.)  

They learn, and from the lessons they learn they make the game (usually) a little better.  It can be a slow process from realizing that there might might be an issue to figuring out how to address it, correct it, and make it not an issue (..to the majority of the player base.  Never ever will everyone be pleased with the changes).   It what they have to do.  And really.  It's pretty cool.  The only other human endeavor I can think of they regularly generates such inventiveness and progress tends to be War and the threat of war..(nothing focus's the mind like immanent death! It's a human thing) .  I'm all in favor of there being more game designers then real world soldiers!

So whats all this got to do with learning? Well.  Lets see.  you can try and force people to learn but results can be very spotty without application of a lot of fear inducing terror.  Ask any of the failed (or nearly failed) Stalinist style communist governments that still exist.  There's still one or two on the planet. And they are not doing well at all.  Not really.

Better to encourage learning and give the learner the tools to help them tell the good lessons from the bad.  To teach them how to learn. And it's not a big secret.  Teach them to ask "why?" "how?" "what?" "where". Critical examination is a easy skill to learn and mastery like in all worthwhile endeavors takes time work and attention..  Self examination has not been encouraged in eras of thought and consideration though it is on the upswing thank god!  I could go into the details and history of this, and it is fascinating disturbing and will upset you greatly as you figure it out.  Some other time maybe. 

SO important point number one.  Making mistakes.

First off in spite of what the salty speakers may say it's ok to make mistakes, because that's what you learn from.  But important caveat.. ONLY if you notice your making the mistake.   And please I'd much rather you make your mistakes here, in the game and not on the freeway at 80 MPH.  The worst that happens here is the loss of some virtual currency and embarrassment.  Out there, it can get you and others dead.    So by all means please make the errors here. We Will Survive It (though to listen to some at same you might think different!).

Here is whats really important to what is considered success in world of warships.

1.Winning the Match

2. Causing Damage

3. A player on YOUR team surviving the match to claim victory for the team  (major point of failure right there!)

Everything else is a means to and end.  And it doesn't really matter how tidily you manage the 3 goals as long as they get done.  Yes doing it with style and grace is part of the advanced course.    ((well ok how tidily you manage does matter, but winning forgives all most everything!  There are folks that blame the sun for shining.  Don't be them and try to NOT pay those types to much attention.  they're just looking for justification so that they can say "Not My Fault".  and it may not have been but guilty concience ya know!))

Focus on those 3 goals and the rest will come.  From a game stand point you are just one playing piece on a side of 7 to 12 players.  Your ship is an asset to be spent.  And your looking to get the best bang for your buck!  Not always easily done and you will fail.  Be thank full.  Most warships that went down in action in the real world took better then 90% of their crews with them.  This will not kill you!  I promise..and I have a vivid imagination! Just not gonna happen. under any situation remotely normal.

Look at the match you just played.  Ignore everything other then what YOU did.  Always ask "how could I have done better" and be prepared for a bit of a wait until all those little observations come together in your mind and you get the results you want.    All so be prepared to be WRONG! Mostly the improvements in your play will come in tiny little changes, sometime it'll be a "Eureka!" moment and everything gels.  But mostly  "the grind"  awaits.   (got over 10k battle in this game on my accounts to back that one up! Ow! Yes I can be said to be an average learner.  But then I go and try things myself and not take other folks word for it.  Might surprise you how often you'll find the the conventional wisdom is flat wrong.  Only way to find out is to test the assumption and yea you put your stats at risk..So what?  Keep plugging, never give up, never surrender.

(Galaxy Quest line. love that movie!  Such fun)

And really that may be THE single most important bit in all of this.  Test everything including what you think is "right" all ways because things do change and what worked yesterday may not work tomorrow.  In this game we play everything is situational.  There things you'll do when there is no CV in a match that you wont do if there is a CV in the match. Or even a specific class of ship.  If you work at it you discover what ships are good for what situation and what will limit them from performing optimally.  There is a LOT to learn.  And eventually you will learn that it's the player the drives the ship not the ship that drives the player.   (HERESY! Burn burn!)  But it is true.  Its you that makes a ship good.  I'm working on proving that in the current ranked season with the HSF Harekaze which I will be driving exclusively for season 8 all the way to rank 1.  I've made it to rank 13, only a little bit more to go. And yea I am and average player.. or used to be.  I'm a bit above average these days (shhh don't distract with the facts, were talk'n truth here.. not the same thing) .  There are better DD players then I and I am certain better Harekaze and Kagero drivers then I.  I think that's wonderful but at this point there is not much they can teach me about my chosen ride.  At best we can compare notes and observations.  And likely will both learn a little itty bitty bit. 

If I have an major issue in MY play style, and it's that I tend to be a little over aggressive.    I'm working on it darn it, and have seen improvement and that is why I will make rank 1 hopefully before to very much longer!  And yes, LUCK is a factor! but far less so then it would have been in say season 1 through 7 because the player base as a whole is far more skilled with the game then it was even a year ago.  

Be positive.  Pay attention, and let yourself learn your own lessons. Take advantage of what other can teach you, but remember Obi-Wan Kanobi's most important lesson.  

"the truth depends very much on ones point of view"  

Always remember this is a team play game and always play for the teams victory.  Do that and the rest will follow.

And never forget the real goal.  Having fun, and being entertained.   

Merry Christmas and may the new year be a fine time full of memories to come for all of you.

TL_Warlord_Roff sends

EOL:Close.

• Cool 2

Members
3,399 posts
8,267 battles

Learning through failure (and study) - I've done crap-ton of that! 

Edited by lemekillmister

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
1,142 posts
6,012 battles
6 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:
Spoiler

I'm going to try and stay on track here and get the message out.  I'll start with a little preamble to qualify myself and then get right to the meat.. feel free to skip the intro part if you've seen far to many of my posts!  (*grin!*)

Inspired  by the holidays, second by Simon Sinek and his speaking on Millennials in the workplace and other topics. And third by you folks yourselves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRO:

Me:  I'm an american, and a Californian over the age of 60.  I've been table top and war gaming since I was gifted with a copy of Avalons Hill's "Tactics-II" on my 11 birthday. ANd have enjoyed computer gaming since from my first OWNED computer game and that was the original "Wing Commander" which I played on a 286/20 with a whopping 2 megabytes of RAM and an EGA video card  put together from spare parts.  (Had to do work on the MB.. was licenced electronic technician at the time.  Had to replace the CMOS controller and some other parts including a CPU that had gotten fried from a power surge)

I've worked as a grunt laborer, field hand, cowboy (yes a real genuine cowboy.. and I hate horses dumbest doggone critter I swear)  Salesman, CS rep, electronic technition, computer technition, and for all practical purposes a stint of about a year as a SYSOP for a college main frame.  middle manager, and for a  about 3 years a store owner who owned a game and hobby shop in Oakland California.   I've had my heart broken and my hopes dashed more times then I care to remember.  We older folks we call this "life".   craphappens ya know, you press past and achive if you can.  No promises of success.  But it really feels fantastic when you do pull it off.  Thats all the important stuff about me that needs to be known here.  On with the meat of the post!

END INTRO

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

there see that wasn't so bad!

on to the next subject...

The ART of LEARNING.  

What? It's not an art.  you get told, you see you learn, easy.  Yea I wish!  (points at 2 years of warships play and only now starting to pull unicum level stats) For some folks it's easy for other not so much and there is every graduation between the extremes.  The best teacher I had as a kid was a civics teacher who taught me (no without one heleva struggle) to challange I believed to be truth  (I'm actually grateful for Richard Nixon.  Big lesson on "what you thought you knew was wrong!" and no I am NOT going to mention history repeating its self... this time.. no politics today!) .  That taught me that there are facts, and there are truths and that they don't always jibe with each other.   That the only differnece between (advertising) and propaganda are the words they label themselves with.   They use the same tools and techniques.   Both impact on our lives tremendously, and I see the reflection of it in MMO"s and online gaming constantly.  Yea, whadda mess!  But this is the world we live in today, and until "WE" turn it around for the NEXT generation (which has yet to be born.. we gotta a little time yet) we're stuck with it.   An important note here.  Every generation of adults gets "the JOB" for the next generation and not one of them through out ALL of human history has ever gotten it all done, or gotten it all right.  The important part is the doing.  It's not the mountain that makes the man, but the act of climbing it.  It's not the goal, it's the journey.  And yes I FUSSED over this myself this myself and did NOT like it.  You younger folk, god help ya it's your turn!  Don't give up.

We learn the really important bits in life by making mistakes (not always, and be thankful for that!).  Now there is a great deal we can learn from others, we can be taught, WE can gain from what other have learned.  Of course there is a down side.  If they learned wrong they will pass on to us their bad lessons and we will take them to heart and make the same errors they did till we realize (or not) the error(s), learn, and change.  It's so common that it is NORMAL.  There is no helping it.  Process man, stinks ya know, gotta do it anyway.  And that's really what THIS is about.  Dealing with process, specifically the process of learning to be GOOD at this game (if its at all important to you.  Might not be!  *gasp!*)  I've been criticized by those who pay a bit to much attention to the trees and miss the forest on some of my past posts trying to put together lessons I've learned in this game dealing with tactics, ship builds and more.  Things change. The game changes.  New lessons MUST supersede the old lessons. New ships, new systems, changes to old systems, new features.  The list will only get longer, as each new patch is built upon the lessons of what has gone before.   The dev's build, they learn, they watch the results.  The find new ways, mostly better sometimes worse...they correct, they incorporate the changes and lessons and they move on to the next goal (and will deal with fans/gamers/customers who missed the memo and are still harping on something that ceased to be an issue MONTHS ago. *sigh!* fair, yea, sorry!  Get over it folks.  Its a bit more rare then ya think!  Bad news, or apparent bad news always makes the front page.)  

They learn, and from the lessons they learn they make the game (usually) a little better.  It can be a slow process from realizing that there might might be an issue to figuring out how to address it, correct it, and make it not an issue (..to the majority of the player base.  Never ever will everyone be pleased with the changes).   It what they have to do.  And really.  It's pretty cool.  The only other human endeavor I can think of they regularly generates such inventiveness and progress tends to be War and the threat of war..(nothing focus's the mind like immanent death! It's a human thing) .  I'm all in favor of there being more game designers then real world soldiers!

So whats all this got to do with learning? Well.  Lets see.  you can try and force people to learn but results can be very spotty without application of a lot of fear inducing terror.  Ask any of the failed (or nearly failed) Stalinist style communist governments that still exist.  There's still one or two on the planet. And they are not doing well at all.  Not really.

Better to encourage learning and give the learner the tools to help them tell the good lessons from the bad.  To teach them how to learn. And it's not a big secret.  Teach them to ask "why?" "how?" "what?" "where". Critical examination is a easy skill to learn and mastery like in all worthwhile endeavors takes time work and attention..  Self examination has not been encouraged in eras of thought and consideration though it is on the upswing thank god!  I could go into the details and history of this, and it is fascinating disturbing and will upset you greatly as you figure it out.  Some other time maybe. 

SO important point number one.  Making mistakes.

First off in spite of what the salty speakers may say it's ok to make mistakes, because that's what you learn from.  But important caveat.. ONLY if you notice your making the mistake.   And please I'd much rather you make your mistakes here, in the game and not on the freeway at 80 MPH.  The worst that happens here is the loss of some virtual currency and embarrassment.  Out there, it can get you and others dead.    So by all means please make the errors here. We Will Survive It (though to listen to some at same you might think different!).

Here is whats really important to what is considered success in world of warships.

1.Winning the Match

2. Causing Damage

3. A player on YOUR team surviving the match to claim victory for the team  (major point of failure right there!)

Everything else is a means to and end.  And it doesn't really matter how tidily you manage the 3 goals as long as they get done.  Yes doing it with style and grace is part of the advanced course.    ((well ok how tidily you manage does matter, but winning forgives all most everything!  There are folks that blame the sun for shining.  Don't be them and try to NOT pay those types to much attention.  they're just looking for justification so that they can say "Not My Fault".  and it may not have been but guilty concience ya know!))

Focus on those 3 goals and the rest will come.  From a game stand point you are just one playing piece on a side of 7 to 12 players.  Your ship is an asset to be spent.  And your looking to get the best bang for your buck!  Not always easily done and you will fail.  Be thank full.  Most warships that went down in action in the real world took better then 90% of their crews with them.  This will not kill you!  I promise..and I have a vivid imagination! Just not gonna happen. under any situation remotely normal.

Look at the match you just played.  Ignore everything other then what YOU did.  Always ask "how could I have done better" and be prepared for a bit of a wait until all those little observations come together in your mind and you get the results you want.    All so be prepared to be WRONG! Mostly the improvements in your play will come in tiny little changes, sometime it'll be a "Eureka!" moment and everything gels.  But mostly  "the grind"  awaits.   (got over 10k battle in this game on my accounts to back that one up! Ow! Yes I can be said to be an average learner.  But then I go and try things myself and not take other folks word for it.  Might surprise you how often you'll find the the conventional wisdom is flat wrong.  Only way to find out is to test the assumption and yea you put your stats at risk..So what?  Keep plugging, never give up, never surrender.

(Galaxy Quest line. love that movie!  Such fun)

And really that may be THE single most important bit in all of this.  Test everything including what you think is "right" all ways because things do change and what worked yesterday may not work tomorrow.  In this game we play everything is situational.  There things you'll do when there is no CV in a match that you wont do if there is a CV in the match. Or even a specific class of ship.  If you work at it you discover what ships are good for what situation and what will limit them from performing optimally.  There is a LOT to learn.  And eventually you will learn that it's the player the drives the ship not the ship that drives the player.   (HERESY! Burn burn!)  But it is true.  Its you that makes a ship good.  I'm working on proving that in the current ranked season with the HSF Harekaze which I will be driving exclusively for season 8 all the way to rank 1.  I've made it to rank 13, only a little bit more to go. And yea I am and average player.. or used to be.  I'm a bit above average these days (shhh don't distract with the facts, were talk'n truth here.. not the same thing) .  There are better DD players then I and I am certain better Harekaze and Kagero drivers then I.  I think that's wonderful but at this point there is not much they can teach me about my chosen ride.  At best we can compare notes and observations.  And likely will both learn a little itty bitty bit. 

If I have an major issue in MY play style, and it's that I tend to be a little over aggressive.    I'm working on it darn it, and have seen improvement and that is why I will make rank 1 hopefully before to very much longer!  And yes, LUCK is a factor! but far less so then it would have been in say season 1 through 7 because the player base as a whole is far more skilled with the game then it was even a year ago.  

Be positive.  Pay attention, and let yourself learn your own lessons. Take advantage of what other can teach you, but remember Obi-Wan Kanobi's most important lesson.  

"the truth depends very much on ones point of view"  

Always remember this is a team play game and always play for the teams victory.  Do that and the rest will follow.

And never forget the real goal.  Having fun, and being entertained.   

Merry Christmas and may the new year be a fine time full of memories to come for all of you.

TL_Warlord_Roff sends

EOL:Close.

Thank you for your advice.

Also, gaming knows neither age nor gender limits.

:Smile_honoring:

Members
6,898 posts
7,508 battles

Losing bad! Off to Gulag with you!

But, seriously. I learn vastly more from my losses than my wins. I sit back after each loss and replay it in my head, start to finish, even if I'm pissed off, determining what I did wrong, what I could have done better, analyzing where I fit, how I fit, into the team I just played with. I didn't used to do this, and doing it has paid clear dividends.

Except in Ranked right now, where I get HC's in a DD, and lose, and lose badly. -.- Ranked teams ftw, yo!

[-TAB-]
Members
1,602 posts
5,147 battles

hi.

over 60, and still learning. at 3k battles, I got tired of seeing a wall of solid red when looking at my WT stat signature. now it's pretty like a box of peanut M&Ms.

wondering mildly (NOT arguing!) about #2, causing damage, as maybe compared to sinking ships. as you can't win a battle with no green ships afloat, and the reds can't win it if they're all sunk.

once I stopped focusing on doing mass damage, and started working on area control (caps) and sinking ships instead, my teams started winning, and the damage levels have seemed to be hanging in there as well.

I was stupidly aggressive the 1st 3300 battles, my survival rate was horrid. how many defeats did that contribute to? a lot, i'm sure. now I will happily go all agro for a cap, contesting a cap or area, and it seems to work.

Merry Christmas !!  (moved from CA not too long ago, hope you are not in a fire zone)

Edited by not_acceptable

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles

Losing is not acceptable. Accepting it means you are accepting you are inferior to other humans.

Win or uninstall, no other options.

• Boring 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,833 posts
13,050 battles

CEO:  You've got to make good decisions to do well.

Student:  How do you learn how to make good decisions?

CEO:  Bad decisions.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

/Joking If you’re from California, you must be a Communist!  I don’t need to read your manifesto!

Edited by Sventex

Beta Testers
1,042 posts
13,805 battles
1 hour ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

1.Winning the Match

2. Causing Damage

Let us call these the objectives in the Random Scenario!   

You said  This will not kill you!  I promise..  But I am thinking that some folks need to play like  it will, in order to meet your third objective.

[PSP]
Members
6,225 posts
8,853 battles
4 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

worked as a grunt laborer, field hand, cowboy (yes a real genuine cowboy.. and I hate horses dumbest doggone critter I swear)  Salesman, CS rep, electronic technician, computer technician, and for all practical purposes a stint of about a year as a SYSOP for a college main frame.  middle manager, and for a  about 3 years a store owner who owned a game and hobby shop in Oakland California.   

I enjoy reading posts written by people who have led diverse and interesting lives. I picked up an electronics degree and a CET cert. back in the late 90s. Although I used the training when I worked in an electric motor repair shop for a bit I got it mainly so I could start building my own computer systems. I haven't been a cowboy per se but I've worked a lot of cattle on farms, sometimes on horseback when we had to move them. I attended college for more years than any sane person would have done but still agree with you that life experience, namely mistakes considered and rectified, gives one the best education.

Edited by Snargfargle

[HEROS]
Members
1,426 posts
11,973 battles
21 hours ago, NeutralState said:

Losing is not acceptable. Accepting it means you are accepting you are inferior to other humans.

Win or uninstall, no other options.

Young sir.. if everyone who plays this game did as you say.. even the good players would be uninstalling it because at peak hours there wouldn't be more then a couple thousand at best die hard's playing.. And that's insufficient to support the game.  The idea is to get more people playing.  Not less.  

There are a lot of other options.. one of them is to pay attention to what you do and learn from it.  And that's what I advocate.  Its taken me most of 2 years to get better and there were a lot less ships when I started, less mission types, less maps and no PvE scenario's.  Someone starting new right now would have an ever taller learning cliff  to crawl up.   

Encourage new players who are not doing well!  Cop an elitistest 'tude, and you'll chase em off.  This is not X-Box live gaming where you have a couple million newbs a year per title.   Warships game population isn't going to grow that fast just due to the subject matter.  SO please for the game and communities sake drop that attitude (which I have seen kill games) or you wont have a game in time. just a mutual back patting society that disappears they day shut the servers down due to lack of revenue.. and game companies no longer wait for the last possible moment to do that in case you hadn't noticed.  Star Wars Galaxies still had over 40,000 active players when SOL shut em down.  I have yet to see the US servers top 40,000 players connected at the same time for warships. we're starting to get close but growth is slow because it is a fairly difficult game to get good at..(and I want it to stay difficult..players get a better sense of accomplishment if the game is hard.  And are more likely to stay with a title when they are!)

Putting other players down is a very stupid and failing stratagy.  I owned a game store...I saw it in real time first hand.  And I ended up running the "elite" gamers out of my store and telling them to not come back until they learned better manners and could comport themselves in public with courtesy and respect for the people around them.  I did it because the pointy headed little geniuses were running paying customers off.  It's the down side of owning a game store that has "gaming nights" is you will get entitled little creeps who think they are King Turd of crapmountain that you will have to deal with.  And you'll have to deal with it PERSONALLY and in front of an audience that will judge you by how you handle it.    If you run a business  your there to earn a living for your self, and for your employee's.  Your generally not to picky about your customers.  You cannot afford to be.   But you do have to draw a line somewhere.

Online gaming companies have it a whole lot easier then a store front operator.  They can limit communication avenues and shut bad customers out with the click of a mouse.    But everything that a store front operator has to deal with the online companies get to also, different scale, and different resources, but exactly the same customer issues.

And that's why you just got this massive reply.  Maybe I read to much into your few lines of posting, but its something I've seen far to often,  and I know how destructive it can be to a community if not nipped in the bud EARLY.   Hope I was able to inform and educate you a little.  Maybe you'll be kinder eh?  Specialization can be strong but only if its surrounded by diversity where it can be a focus point.  Nothing happens in isolation and that's why "Git Gud or unistall " is a FAIL attitude.