You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_TheEntireUniverse_

I bought the Atago, and I think I've made a huge mistake

91 comments in this topic

Members
100 posts
2,445 battles

UPDATE: I no longer suck in the Atago!

My WR is 59.5%, third highest of all of my boats with 30+ battles! By comparison, my WR in those comfortable German BBs is mostly in the 40s.

I'm the sort of loser who sails German boats because they are durable enough to give me a prayer of surviving when I position poorly and the rapid fire of the guns helps make up for my somewhat mediocre aim. I heard good things about the Atago and on an impulse spent all the doubloons I got from Santa crates to buy it, because I wanted to have more than just my Tirpitz to use in ranked. 

I think I bit off more than I can chew.

I only have an 8 point IJN captain, so I don't have concealment expert. I've done everything else I can to bring down my detection range to about 10km. I can evade detection but I don't feel very useful since as soon as I begin to engage I immediately get blown out of the water. My first couple of battles have been disastrous. 

Am I doing something wrong? Or should I try and get a refund and get Prinz Eugen instead? Or do I suck to much for your 8 period?

Edited by _TheEntireUniverse_
Update

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,345 battles

Use islands for cover so that as few people as possible can fire on you before you open fire.

Now in wide open maps with few islands, I got nothing. I am still working on that one.

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,128 posts
5,976 battles

Did you watch youtube video's about the Atago? Use premium consumables

Go to www.shipcomrade.com --> captain skills --> search for Atago

@LittleWhiteMouse has probably done a ship review on it ^^

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I'm not sure if you can get a refund like that, but I'm sure somone will prolly reply with an answer.

I agree with the replies above.

Find an island, and hide while shooting over it, or get behind a BB.

Watch vids from Notser, Flamu, and iChasegaming. Pay attention to the dates they were posted. It's possible a new update might've changed a few things.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles

I admittedly bought Atago before I should have.  Just be prepared to learn from your mistakes. 

I concur that Atago is superior to the Prinz (essentially the Admiral's twin). 

Edited by lemekillmister

Members
1,924 posts
2,492 battles

The ship has a lot of potential, but it's hard to tame.
I see many players trying to always stay broadside just to get all their guns on a target (same goes for the Myoko, and any ARP cruiser), easy to say they get deleted quickly. But when you do play conservatively, and don't make yourself an easy target, you can light tons of fires and punish broadsides with those AP shells.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,611 posts
5,180 battles
8 minutes ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

I'm the sort of loser who sails German boats because they are durable enough to give me a prayer of surviving when I position poorly and the rapid fire of the guns helps make up for my somewhat mediocre aim. I heard good things about the Atago and on an impulse spent all the doubloons I got from Santa crates to buy it, because I wanted to have more than just my Tirpitz to use in ranked. 

I think I bit off more than I can chew.

I only have an 8 point IJN captain, so I don't have concealment expert. I've done everything else I can to bring down my detection range to about 10km. I can evade detection but I don't feel very useful since as soon as I begin to engage I immediately get blown out of the water. My first couple of battles have been disastrous. 

Am I doing something wrong? Or should I try and get a refund and get Prinz Eugen instead? Or do I suck to much for your 8 period?

As a CA/CL main for the most part lately, I was eager to take some CA/CLs into battle. Atago is tricky but good in Random, but is going to have a steep painful learning curve in Ranked. With the typical ranked battle being BB and DD heavy, the Atago is going to be a favorite target once spotted.

With very good range and accuracy, slow firing rate, and not much in the way of armor, Atago is good vs other CA/CL, and the AA is OK for Ranked. But there are few CA/CLs playing lately. Uh, ow.

You don't want to be anywhere close to brawling with a BB in this ship. When you engage BBs you need to be heading away from them before firing, ready to kite HE, go for fires, WASD your butt off, escape and repeat. The torps are excellent, but getting close enuff to get hits is probably going to be suicidal vs BBs in Ranked. These tactics are not going to be well received in Ranked, your teams will let you know loud and clear.

Vs DDs, the slow firing rate is not going to be helping you out much. Torps will do some damage, getting close enuff to get hits will be painful. Charging DDs in smoke will not be much fun. HE works, fires work too, but it's a slow kill.

Took mine in for a couple Ranked battles, and was on the receiving end of a bit of salt from the rest of the team. Hipper seems to be a bit worse. Prince Eugen was quite painful, far worse than the Atago, and I don't want to talk about my Chappy experiences, it's too traumatic.

Switched over to the Amagi, which works for me (~63% W/R so far), and I LOVE seeing the Atago, Hipper and PE on the red team. At T8 CA/CL are getting scarce as players figure out the BBs and DDs work better.

Good Luck, Merry Christmas!

• Cool 1

[T-RIP]
[T-RIP]
Members
1,044 posts
8,061 battles

OP, go play in PVE (co-op) for a while to get used to her, load up some flags from the Santa crates, build up some more XP for your commander until you feel comfortable with her.

She's a solid ship once you get used to her.

Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles

Atago is one that needs at least a 13 pt or higher captain.  My 19 pt Zao captain is/was also my Atago captain. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,161 posts
14,555 battles

When I was new and my highest tiered tech tree ship was Tier V Omaha, I bought Atago and Atlanta.  I did so poorly in them that it took me ages to make Atlanta's stats from Potato -> Average.  I have yet to dig my Atago stats from out of the gutter.  I tried here and there but I never sat down to do it in a focused manner like I did Atlanta.

Get CE for your IJN Cruisers, it's absolutely imperative you do so as it lets them move around and disengage more easily.  Until RN CLs came along, IJN Cruisers as a line had the best Cruiser stealth.  It's still great.

Before you start spamming your guns, be very careful on your position and angle relative to the enemy.  Atago is ridiculously armed but her armor and citadel is suspect.  It's fine against Cruisers but BB gunfire punishes her heavily.  IJN CAs are floating citadels.

Drop your torps any chance you get because you get surprising results.

On that token, do not drop torps at the wrong time, i.e. flashing your broadside to get a full side of drops with the reds looking right at you.  That is the classical IJN CA mistake that gets them killed.  Some guys are great in reading that ahead of time and holding their gunfire, waiting for you to flash your sides to get the rest of your torps off, and crucify you with AP.

Don't be afraid and use Atago's AP.  It's decent.  It doesn't have USN CA bounce angle benefits, but IJN CAs typically have LOTS of guns.  Atago is no exception.  A full Atago AP salvo into another Cruiser's sides or into the side, upper hull / superstructure of a BB is not to be trifled with.

IJN Cruisers tend to have mediocre turret traverse, so you need to swing your guns ahead of time in anticipation of the fight to come.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,611 posts
5,180 battles
4 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

Atago is one that needs at least a 13 pt or higher captain.  My 19 pt Zao captain is/was also my Atago captain. 

ditto that, but the Atago still feels awesomely squishy vs 3-4 BBs.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,124 posts
6,790 battles

With the Atago, if you sail broadside to fire all your guns (like a lot of them do..) you will hate the ship. Use WASD, specifically AD keys. You can maneuver a lot particularly because your gun reload is too long and rudder traverse fast.

Your torps are last resort unless you are really comfortable with the boat. Many Atago players think, "hmmm torps! turn broadside to torp!" and get deleted.

Realistically, if you play smart it's a pretty tanky boat. The heal is nice particularly in tier VIII games. Its guns are laser accurate.

Beta Testers
1,864 posts
19,068 battles
33 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Atago is a far better ship than Prinz Eugen

I second that ! ! !

[RST]
Members
333 posts
6,918 battles

My son bought Atago for me and I was about 6 months before I played it because I did not feel I was ready.  It is a good ship, but you have to keep some distance early, stop firing and go dark when you need to, and keep angled.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,187 battles
41 minutes ago, Lionel92 said:

Did you watch youtube video's about the Atago? Use premium consumables

Go to www.shipcomrade.com --> captain skills --> search for Atago

@LittleWhiteMouse has probably done a ship review on it ^^

HAHAHAHa... oh hahaha.... taking LWM's review as bible... 

are you serious? OH AHHAHAHAHAHAA....

Here's the bottom line. Atago has one of the highest performance record in game. If you can't do well in it, OP, it is on you. Literally, learn to play.

Edited by NeutralState
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 7

Members
54 posts
2,987 battles

You just gotta play to the atago's strength which is its 9.1km detection. Shoot then disengage. Repeat. 

This is what works for me. 

Also don't get the prinz, if you really want another tier 8 premium cruiser I would suggest the Kutuzov. 19km HE spam combined with fast shell velocity is pretty trollish. 

[-TAB-]
Members
1,611 posts
5,180 battles
3 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Here's the bottom line. Atago has one of the highest performance record in game. If you can't do well in it, OP, it is on you. Literally, learn to play.

oh, dear...  did you get coal in your stocking AGAIN ??  Atago has a long and glorious record in Random battles, and is one of the oldest Premiums in the game. How is it doing in Ranked?

OH  HAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAHAHAHHAAAAHAHAAAA  you didn't read the OP and posts, did you?

oh, you were serious?  AHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAAAA that's even funnier.

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,128 posts
5,976 battles
5 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

At least she give people advice; you are not usefull, he just ask something to the community :)

[NDA]
Supertester
4,845 posts
13,829 battles

OP it sounds like you need some one to give you some pointers and I know just the sage instructor. 

I summon you Smaug of the Seven Seas, @Lord_Zath come forth and help this player. 

[4HIM]
Members
1,813 posts
4,116 battles

I had the dubs to buy it when it was on sale during Thanksgiving.  But I read the LittleWhiteMouse review and decided to put it off until a later day.  I think what sealed it was her saying that it became a good boat once you put a 15 point captain into it.  Most of mine are in the 7 - 8 point range right now.  So I figured it would be on sale again later and I could reconsider if I had a suitable captain by then.  I have bought a couple premiums that become good with a 10 point captain.  As soon as I have one ready I'll plunk them in and start sailing them.  But I'm content to leave them in port until I'm more practiced and truly ready to play them.

[INTEL]
Members
8,588 posts
25,732 battles

Atago is a great ship, but not a good ship for Ranked.

Ranked is fought at ranges from 6-15 kms. Much of the time ships are blasting away at less than 10 kms. At that range Atago is always spotted, and usually comes under fire from more than one ship. Most of the time she can't just stop firing and stealth. Random is fought at 10-20 kms, ideal for stealthing when things go bad.

Firing at close range puts Atago at a disadvantage with her slow reload and only 4 forward facing guns. If Atago turns a bit to bring up torps and guns, she eats cit hits.

Because Atago has a huge citadel, she is at a disadvantage. There are more BBs than cruisers in some matches, and they all know Atago is an easy kill.

The torps tempt inexperienced players to push up and torp early. Bad move. You just eat citadels. Memorize this phrase: TORPS ARE SITUATIONAL. You are not a DD in Atago.

She doesnt have radar or smoke, two very useful attributes. 

All in all, cruisers are having a hard time of it this year. 

Edited by Taichunger

[PSP]
Members
6,307 posts
8,930 battles

The Atago is probably my favorite ship. It's fast. It's stealthy (you can just stealth torp with it if you have a stealth build). It can sink a DD in only a couple of salvoes if you are a good shot. It can citadel cruisers with its AP. It can burn up BBs with its HE. It's not the best AA platform but that's not what it's for. In fact, I take the hydro for more versatility in seeing torpedoes and hunting DDs. It's a really good support ship. It has tons of torpedoes and can really keep the enemy out of a cap or from entering any area where they have to get round an island. Just don't get caught broadside to a BB or alone without AA support if there are strike aircraft around. However, if you get a hit or two then you can heal. Don't be afraid to retreat and wait a bit to heal either.

Edited by Snargfargle

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,187 battles
8 minutes ago, Lionel92 said:

At least she give people advice; you are not usefull, he just ask something to the community :)

What do you mean by "she"? There's literally zero evidence that it is a "she".

Edited by NeutralState
  • Bad 2

Members
1,924 posts
2,492 battles
22 hours ago, not_acceptable said:

oh, dear...  did you get coal in your stocking AGAIN ??  Atago has a long and glorious record in Random battles, and is one of the oldest Premiums in the game. How is it doing in Ranked?

OH  HAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAHAHAHHAAAAHAHAAAA  you didn't read the OP and posts, did you?

oh, you were serious?  AHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAAAA that's even funnier.

lm­ao, where did he touch you? So many rustled jimmies on the forums this weekend... These folk will never understand the game, SMH.

Edited by HowitzerBlitzer
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1