You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sventex

World of Tanks has far better Christmas Event

17 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

I only went back to World of Tanks because the check your email topic had alerted me to a free redeemable codes with World of Tanks and World of Warplanes, the latter which offered me some Premium days.  While I was disappointed that what I got out of World of Tanks was a T-7 Combat Car (one of my favorite tanks, but already in my possession) I noticed that they a holiday ops event that showered me with free lootboxes (which I'm not fond of generally), but they were for the purposes of decorating the winter wonderland (the holiday garage).  Maybe the free Christmas lootboxes are suppose to be a gateway drug, but from just a single day of playing, I was able to unlock discounts on 5 tanks of my choice, and 2 skilled female crew members (complete with female voice acting in-game) which are pretty difficult to get in the game through the campaigns.  The best thing about the World of Tank holiday lootboxes is that the junk items you get can be liquefied into custom made items that progress you through the holiday op and help you unlock more tank discounts and female crew members, so every box helps with progression in this holiday mini-campaign.

hETdImd.jpg

Compare this with World of Warships, where you just have the North Cape Campaigns, with unimaginative missions with lame rewards like (3 standard containers).  It all leads to the LWM certified Garbage ship Duke of York.  Having to juggle my time between these two Christmas campaigns, the World of Warships one just doesn't compare, and I don't even particularly like World of Tanks because of the community, yet that's where I'm spending most of my time.  Sure we get a new port, but there's no interaction with the port, we can't dress it up or customize it in anyway.  The neat Ice Camos for our ships are locked behind a Duke of York paywall, as the North Cape campaign missions are locked by a time barrier.  The only way to unlock the Duke of York is the wait 14 more days, so there's little reason for me to consider World of Warships between the two games.  It's World of Tanks that's showering me with free gifts for Christmas and World of Warships trying to push me to fork over some money.  That's really disappointing.

jlXOsA5.jpg

Edited by Sventex
  • Bad 2

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
3 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The money ends up in the same bank account.

Money?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,635 posts
9,035 battles

You do realize that there is a second holiday campaign that you get once you have the Duke of York.

• Bad 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
57 minutes ago, Sventex said:

The neat Ice Camos for our ships are locked behind a Duke of York paywall, as the North Cape campaign missions are locked by a time barrier.  The only way to unlock the Duke of York is the wait 14 more days, so there's little reason for me to consider World of Warships between the two games.  It's World of Tanks that's showering me with free gifts for Christmas and World of Warships trying to push me to fork over some money.  That's really disappointing.

4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You do realize that there is a second holiday campaign that you get once you have the Duke of York.

Edited by Sventex
  • Bad 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,114 posts
6,757 battles

Ok?

I'm pretty happy with the World of Warships Christmas events/offerings.

You've also left out at the very least the Afffdent missions (for two supercontainers) and the two free Santa crates. 

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
329 posts
4,659 battles

I'm going to go post on WoT forum now and tell them "good going chaps, we can come here and complain about what Ships is doing!"

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,635 posts
9,035 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

The neat Ice Camos for our ships are locked behind a Duke of York paywall, as the North Cape campaign missions are locked by a time barrier.  The only way to unlock the Duke of York is the wait 14 more days, so there's little reason for me to consider World of Warships between the two games.  It's World of Tanks that's showering me with free gifts for Christmas and World of Warships trying to push me to fork over some money.  That's really disappointing.

You get the  second campaign when you complete the Duke of York campaign so you only have to pay if you want to start on it now.

• Bad 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
3 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Ok?

I'm pretty happy with the World of Warships Christmas events/offerings.

You've also left out at the very least the Afffdent missions (for two supercontainers) and the two free Santa crates. 

It's Christmas day and I'm only 4/15 there.  

2 minutes ago, cavscout1739 said:

I'm going to go post on WoT forum now and tell them "good going chaps, we can come here and complain about what Ships is doing!"

Do you really want to go there?

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/565866-worst-christmas-events-ever/

• Bad 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You get the  second campaign when you complete the Duke of York campaign so you only have to pay if you want to start on it now.

Edited by Sventex
  • Bad 1

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

Tanks is a few years ahead of ships, so their event is different and a new kind of thing with regard to winning loot boxes that help you decorate your garage and give you minor rewards like repair kits and nominal amounts of silver (i am currently playing some over there, too).  I wouldn't say it is "better," but I do like the feature that you can lock in some really cool permanent discounts on a vehicle of your choice as you progress in decorating your garage.  If the tanks event is successful, you could see a similar thing happen in ships at some point, but I like that the two games have their own unique thing going on right now...

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,995 posts
5,940 battles

World of Tanks is still Wargamings premiere title, we’re one of the other much less successful and popular sister games. At least we aren’t Warplanes.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
1 minute ago, delp5117 said:

Tanks is a few years ahead of ships, so their event is different and a new kind of thing with regard to winning loot boxes that help you decorate your garage and give you minor rewards like repair kits and nominal amounts of silver (i am currently playing some over there, too).  I wouldn't say it is "better," but I do like the feature that you can lock in some really cool permanent discounts on a vehicle of your choice as you progress in decorating your garage.  If the tanks event is successful, you could see a similar thing happen in ships at some point, but I like that the two games have their own unique thing going on right now...

I would love to see female voice acted captains like they have going on over there.  And generally speaking, it feels good to be showered with gifts on Christmas, and they definitely have that going on there.  WoWS kinda has free stuff, but most of it is timelocked till after the New Year, which feels like it’s missing Christmas spirit.  

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
5 hours ago, Big_Spud said:

World of Tanks is still Wargamings premiere title, we’re one of the other much less successful and popular sister games. At least we aren’t Warplanes.

It was always my impression that World of Tanks was really stingy though.  Consumables run on the clock, and you need to use gold ammo to get around the terrible balance, and you gotta pay for multiple crew member to get trained up.