You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
EasternSun

Ranked without Radar Balance is garbage

67 comments in this topic

[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
127 posts
5,355 battles

When will Wargaming admit they have no idea how to balance a match in ranked. When this garbage happens it's an instant win for the other side. How hard is it to use Radar to decide the matchups? It's way to OP without another ship to counter it. DD's become worthless and refuse to cap when they can't even get close to an area.

image.thumb.png.3e905e134772f72cf478fe077201438a.png

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

Radar has no counter, of course it'll win.  But it's the only thing WGing can give to cruisers so they have some reason not to kill themselves against Battleships.

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles

Well if I was the DD in that situation I would let the team know I will spot the Radar ships but they need to kill them before we can cap. All hope is not lost in this situation, although I agree it gives the other team an advantage. The chap is a squishy ship the DD's in this situation, should alter their game play at the very least.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
127 posts
5,355 battles
8 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Radar has no counter, of course it'll win.  But it's the only thing WGing can give to cruisers so they have some reason not to kill themselves against Battleships.

I'm not opposed to Radar for Cruisers. It's the balance of the teams. Other Cruisers and DD's see this and refuse to move forward. Even though there was only 1 BB per team they all sat behind the islands refusing to move because of "Radar".

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,933 posts
7,508 battles

The imbalance has been REALLY bad this season. In 23 rounds, I've radar on my team 4 times. The red team has had it all 23 times. More, I've never had more than one ship with radar on my team, the red team has had 2 half the time, and there were 3 matches where it had THREE. In none of the multiple radar ships rounds for the reds did my team have a ship with radar.

It's so bad that I'm giving up smoke on Kagero, and taking the TRB. Smoke is utterly useless in my rounds, I might as well increase my chances for damage.

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
1,733 posts
22,072 battles
2 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Well if I was the DD in that situation I would let the team know I will spot the Radar ships but they need to kill them before we can cap. All hope is not lost in this situation, although I agree it gives the other team an advantage. The chap is a squishy ship the DD's should alter their game play at the very least.

Most DDs request that radar ships be killed first, it rarely happens.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,933 posts
7,508 battles
1 minute ago, Final8ty said:

Most DDs request that radar ships be killed first, it NEVER happens.

Fixed that for ya, friend.

• Cool 2

[56TH]
Members
266 posts

I've been playing my Kidd in ranked and doing great in it for someone who is not much of a DD guy...

I have no trouble with the radar. You know its there, you know when you have been detected, so now you just have to run away for 45 seconds. I haven't found it to be too difficult to seek protection behind a rock or island until it goes away. Granted I am only at rank 15 now so I do not know what the higher rank maps are, if they change.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

If one side has radar and the other doesn’t, and that’s the deciding factor for the game, then there is a severe balance issue.  Radar ships aren’t their own class, so you can’t guarantee either that both sides will have it, even with reformed MM.

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles

Take your New Orleans or Chappy, beach the bow on the big rock close to the objective, or better yet immediately adjacent range to both caps, press the radar key when the enemy DDs are in range and win.  Very effective but not a fun or gratifying mode of operation, IMO.  

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles
1 minute ago, Final8ty said:

And then the team loses, who's at fault? The team because they didn't work together. Something they rarely ever do in Ranked and Random battles. I am just saying that the team is ultimately the counter for radar. Putting it into practice is a whole different topic.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles
10 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Well if I was the DD in that situation I would let the team know I will spot the Radar ships but they need to kill them before we can cap. All hope is not lost in this situation, although I agree it gives the other team an advantage. The chap is a squishy ship the DD's in this situation, should alter their game play at the very least.

You don't even have to tell the team.  The moment a Cruiser is spotted, everybody and their grandmother will be shooting at it because they're easy to kill.  The real danger is being Radar'd yourself and getting shot at as you did that.  Just make sure you get out alive as all it takes is one unlucky Detonation and you're done in that DD.

Mogami

Atago

Chapayev

New Orleans

Kutuzov

Edinburgh

Not exactly the paragons of durability.  Hell, only 2 of them have Repair Party.  Spot 'em and let the others, esp. the BBs, do the rest.

Radar Cruiser play is kind of tricky in Ranked.  DDs are afraid of them but Battleships keep Radar Cruisers in check.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles
4 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

Take your New Orleans or Chappy, beach the bow on the big rock close to the objective, or better yet immediately adjacent range to both caps, press the radar key when the enemy DDs are in range and win.  Very effective but not a fun or gratifying mode of operation, IMO.  

AAaannnndddd that's why its [edited] folks!!!  Muh radar through islands gimmick.

Edited by knice_destroyer

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles

Yesterday, was in a ranked game where the opponents had 3 loyangs, 2 chaps, 1 bismarck. We had literal crapall. Spent the entire game detected, and the result's obvious.

Here's the problems with unbalanced radar/hydro.

1. WG indirectly admits that radar and hydro do jack all at influencing the match.

2. WG gave no crap about ranked, made a competitive mode but didn't put any other thoughts into it.

Neither are good for WG.

also, since we are on the topic

wth's with CV in ranked? WG admitted that CVs are imba as hell for clan wars, but somehow in a 7v7 format, they are totally fine? Stand with your standards WG for pete's sake.

Edited by NeutralState

[TMS]
Members
1,733 posts
22,072 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

And then the team loses, who's at fault? The team because they didn't work together. Something they rarely ever do in Ranked and Random battles. I am just saying that the team is ultimately the counter for radar. Putting it into practice is a whole different topic.

Indeed.

Members
904 posts
4,260 battles

And that is why through land radar is retarded as was said lots and lots of times, now even non dd players cry, lol, "adapt and overcome..."

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles
4 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

That really should only help the opposing team it takes one ship out of the available gun count pool and if your DD's just go spot you should win by killing ships. Ranked is more often won because the team works together and has all guns available to concentrate on ships one at a time. Do they have an advantage? Maybe. Can it be countered? Absolutely.

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
7 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The radar cruiser will be completely hidden behind a large rock and likely flanked by their buddies if they're smart. 

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,863 posts
6,855 battles
13 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

Can't kill em if the dds don't spot em.

[TMS]
Members
1,733 posts
22,072 battles
Just now, Shadeylark said:

Can't kill em if the dds don't spot em.

So a cruiser can only be Spotted by DDs and no other ships, that's news to me.

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles
3 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

The radar cruiser will be completely hidden behind a large rock and likely flanked by their buddies if they're smart. 

So You know right where to spot them. They still usually can't bring weapons to bear in that case. Red team 1 ship down in that case.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

That really should only help the opposing team it takes one ship out of the available gun count pool and if your DD's just go spot you should win by killing ships. Ranked is more often won because the team works together and has all guns available to concentrate on ships one at a time. Do they have an advantage? Maybe. Can it be countered? Absolutely.

Luckily for those cruiser they all have engines and running gear to move, for after when the enemy's DDs are all dead or mostly dead, AKA, when it's near certainly game over for the other team.

[TMS]
Members
1,733 posts
22,072 battles
3 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

So You know right where to spot them. they still usually can't bring weapons to bear in that case.

When they are spotted the team can't shoot them anyway and wont try to get into a position to where they can shoot them.

Edited by Final8ty

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

So You know right where to spot them. they still usually can't bring weapons to bear in that case.

I forgot that guns and torpedoes pass through mountains and cruisers have no engines and running gear. 

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles
6 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

Luckily for those cruiser they all have engines and running gear to move, for after when the enemy's DDs are all dead or mostly dead, AKA, when it's near certainly game over for the other team.

The DD's won't be dead if they don't get seen and just spot for a while and use torps to deny caps and divert ships  and make them turn broadside. The fact is that they can do other things to help the team win besides going into a cap and sitting still in smoke and waiting for the axe to fall. It is not a guaranteed win, if the other team has radar and yours doesn't, plain and simple.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1