You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Admiral Graf Spee? Premium. Advise.

24 comments in this topic

Members
4,566 posts
6,505 battles

OK so my daughter gets her old old man a pre-paid doubloon card for Xmas.  Now, the decision.  I have never bought a premium ship. Don't have a premium account.  I have always had a thing for the Graf Spee  since I built her years ago as a kid and read all about her history. Checked Warships today data and she is ranked #1 in her tier.  Don't know how accurate that is but that is where she is on that data site.  I have heard some negatives/positives on the forum about her. If she has issues how does she get #1 in her tier?  Is she worth spending my new loot on?  Pros-cons?  Note....I am a 48% player. Can I handle her?  Highest tier ship I have is Cleveland which I kinda suck in too much. Advise!  Graf Spee or do you think there is a better ship for me.  Got loot but don't want to go any higher than tier 7.  Thank you very much and Merry Christmas.  Had fun the past year here.  Tks all.

Edited by dmckay

[56TH]
Members
266 posts

Her guns can pummel enemy cruisers and even some battleships as long as their broadside is to you, any angle and they will bounce off of BBs. The fire starting ability of them is 20% so .... meh and they have a 20 second reload time.

I enjoy playing mine but you have to remember she is not technically a battleship and has a damage pool of 39,400 and the armor is not that great so if you go toe to toe with a T-6 battleship you are probably not going to have a good time. If you make the mistake of showing your broadside to them, then well...pack your bags and prepare for an unexpected trip to citadel city.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

If you'd like a full review, here is Mouse's review of the ship: 

In my opinion she's a great ship. Powerful guns, a ton of HP and heals, great torpedoes and angles, and decent maneuverability. Plus, she's got a great history to her.

I'd recommend.

Fair winds and following seas captain! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
4,566 posts
6,505 battles

:Smile_honoring:

6 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

If you'd like a full review, here is Mouse's review of the ship: 

In my opinion she's a great ship. Powerful guns, a ton of HP and heals, great torpedoes and angles, and decent maneuverability. Plus, she's got a great history to her.

I'd recommend.

Fair winds and following seas captain! :Smile_honoring:

Tks.  Partly it's her history that makes me want her. Famous ship.:Smile_honoring:

Edited by dmckay

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

More sturdy than other cruisers at her tier, but quite a bit slower and tougher to hide because of that.  Her guns can really put the hurt on with well placed AP (you will shock some other cruisers and broadside BB's), but she only has six barrels so your aim has to be decent.  Very serviceable 8km torps, as well.

Overall, I have a lot of fun playing her (though I haven't taken her out a ton).  I think the best part is that the other team doesn't always take you too seriously, and you can really rack up the damage until they do!  She's not the easiest ship to master, but definitely fills a cool niche that is unique compared to other cruisers.

Forgot to mention as Doomlock stated, that she has a heal at tier VI (which is awesome)!

Edited by delp5117

Members
4,566 posts
6,505 battles
1 minute ago, delp5117 said:

More sturdy than other cruisers at her tier, but quite a bit slower and tougher to hide because of that.  Her guns can really put the hurt on with well placed AP (you will shock some other cruisers and broadside BB's), but she only has six barrels so your aim has to be decent.  Very serviceable 8km torps, as well.

Overall, I have a lot of fun playing her (though I haven't taken her out a ton).  I think the best part is that the other team doesn't always take you too seriously, and you can really rack up the damage until they do!  She's not the easiest ship to master, but definitely fills a cool niche that is unique compared to other cruisers.

Must be something good bout her cause her stats (if Warships Today is to be believed) are the best in her tier. Tks very much. 

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

I think it's because a decent number of serious players or those who enjoy the history run her (put in the work to get her during last year's holiday campaign) and because she is really flexible.  It's like getting the hitting power of another battleship in a cruiser slot for the team.  As long as you don't sit too far back and just snipe, she can be a major contributor.  Now that I know a bit more what I am doing, it's pretty easy to score top 5 on your roster with her.

Edited by delp5117

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles

If you like Cruisers you will most likely like her. The load time on the guns is really the only drawback. She makes up for it in alpha strike though. Torp angles are great just remember that she is a cruiser. On the other hand the Atlanta is a very fun ship although she gets concentrated on if you extend to far. She is an absolute beast in the tier 7 Scenarios. I found that I either didn't play it right or the reload time affects Graf Spee negatively in scenarios, due to the cruiser hull.

[56TH]
Members
266 posts

oh no one seems to have mentioned her torpedoes. They are great, 8km range at 65 knots. They have that strange angle they have to be fired from but 8km torps at T6 is always a good thing and can catch some players off guard.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,461 posts
11,780 battles

I am 48%er too.

Her guns hit hard, but have German dispersion.

Torpedoes are nice surprise.

Her aa is ok.

Very squishy sides.

Angle and you can tank. Has a heal, Defensive as.

Not a blast to play, but a solid cruiser with 11 inch guns.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,011 posts
9,077 battles

She’s fun because she’s unique, not your every day 6” or 8” gun cruiser. However, she’s a very difficult ship to play. You may find it difficult to have success in randoms. 

Members
1,550 posts
8,238 battles

Hey

The Graf Spee is my favorite lower tier ship bar none.  I have a lot of fun in it and some really great game with several over 100K plus.  Once you get to know it's strengths and weaknesses, she will rock.  Don't let the 6 guns in 2 turret thing scare you, they are great and there is always those 8km torps too.  

Pete

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
1,957 posts
8,913 battles
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 12:47 PM, delp5117 said:

I think it's because a decent number of serious players or those who enjoy the history run her (put in the work to get her during last year's holiday campaign) and because she is really flexible.  It's like getting the hitting power of another battleship in a cruiser slot for the team.  As long as you don't sit too far back and just snipe, she can be a major contributor.  Now that I know a bit more what I am doing, it's pretty easy to score top 5 on your roster with her.

This is a perfect summary of Graf Spee.  She is essentially a mini-battleship in a cruiser slot on the team.  I recommend her; the play style is very unique and she's pretty survivable.

[ONE]
Members
261 posts
8,949 battles

One of my favorites due to its history.  I wasn't able to buy the standard model when I starting playing this game in July so I bought the HSF version which can be equipped exactly as the other version.  Plays extremely well, many cruiser players forget when going up against one that the Spee has battleship guns that wil bite hard.  Obtained the regular Graf Spee version with a Christmas crate, kept it to go along with the HSF version.

Edited by 6thGuards

Members
22 posts
1,860 battles

I love mine, I got her last year for free through the campaign.  The guns are accurate enough as long as you get into the 10-12km range.  My only real gripe with her is the speed.  At sub 30kts you have to think ahead in positioning or you will find yourself out of the fight for a long time.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,886 posts
10,675 battles
On 12/25/2017 at 2:11 PM, dEsTurbed1 said:

.Her guns hit hard, but have German dispersion.

Torpedoes are nice surprise.

Her aa is ok.

Very squishy sides.

Angle and you can tank (survive a well aimed salvo). Has a heal, Defensive as.

Not a blast to play, but a solid cruiser with 11 inch guns.

To the OP,

Pretty much this ^^^

I bought the HSF Graf Spee in a package that was only available for a short time as the deal was too good to pass up. It had the ship and Capt but also a bunch of other stuff that was basically worth the value of the cost of the package without counting the ship. I think WG pulled it so fast because they realized it was a mistake offering the deal the way they did. Think it was like $10 for the ship once the other stuff's value was taken into account.

The ship is ok but it is far from great or OP. It is slow and lumbering for a Cruiser and while it has a big HP pool and a heal it takes damage very easy unless the angle is just right ( I disagree you can tank with it is about all from above). The Graf Spee is not a push forward Cruiser. It is  a hang back as 2nd line fire support ship until the match is winding down or you see an opportunity to push up. Do it too soon and you are gonna go poof.

The guns are typical wonky German BB guns. Don't care what their stats are they are not accurate at all. Shells go everywhere. Only 6 guns means only 6 shells so unless RNGesus blesses you and lets more than 1 or 2 hit you get a lot of misses and low damage salvos. If however you do get some good hits you can do a lot. 20 second reload isn't too bad but with only 6 shells it makes all those sub-par salvos hurt as you have limited chances to shoot.

I like the torps. Good range, good launch angles, and they hit hard. They are your best weapon IF you can get into range to use them and survive.

AA is meh. I ditched the Def AA for Hydro as I find it more useful. AA isn't good enough to really have Def AA do much. JMHO.

It took me a while to learn how to play it. You need to be conservative and think way ahead. It isn't really fit for a Cruiser's role and it isn't tough enough to be a BB. It isn't a bad ship by any means but it isn't a ship I recommend others buy as it is just meh. I only bought it because of the deal being offered which made it worthwhile even if the ship was bad. Of course I won the regular version in a Santa box so now I have 2 of the darn things. LOL :Smile_facepalm:

Now, with all of that said, if you are a fan of the ship IRL get it. I am a huge IRL Hood fan. Lots of people slam that ship in game and call it bad yet I love it. Might end up that way for you with Graf Spee in game. Get it if for no other reason than IRL you love the ship.

Best of luck with it. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,876 posts
1,338 battles
On 12/25/2017 at 12:38 PM, delp5117 said:

Forgot to mention as Doomlock stated, that she has a heal at tier VI (which is awesome)!

Yeah, I've gotten Dreadnought on Graf Spee a few times.

[WOLF5]
Members
280 posts
On 1/4/2018 at 10:46 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

To the OP,

Pretty much this ^^^

I bought the HSF Graf Spee in a package that was only available for a short time as the deal was too good to pass up. It had the ship and Capt but also a bunch of other stuff that was basically worth the value of the cost of the package without counting the ship. I think WG pulled it so fast because they realized it was a mistake offering the deal the way they did. Think it was like $10 for the ship once the other stuff's value was taken into account.

The ship is ok but it is far from great or OP. It is slow and lumbering for a Cruiser and while it has a big HP pool and a heal it takes damage very easy unless the angle is just right ( I disagree you can tank with it is about all from above). The Graf Spee is not a push forward Cruiser. It is  a hang back as 2nd line fire support ship until the match is winding down or you see an opportunity to push up. Do it too soon and you are gonna go poof.

The guns are typical wonky German BB guns. Don't care what their stats are they are not accurate at all. Shells go everywhere. Only 6 guns means only 6 shells so unless RNGesus blesses you and lets more than 1 or 2 hit you get a lot of misses and low damage salvos. If however you do get some good hits you can do a lot. 20 second reload isn't too bad but with only 6 shells it makes all those sub-par salvos hurt as you have limited chances to shoot.

I like the torps. Good range, good launch angles, and they hit hard. They are your best weapon IF you can get into range to use them and survive.

AA is meh. I ditched the Def AA for Hydro as I find it more useful. AA isn't good enough to really have Def AA do much. JMHO.

It took me a while to learn how to play it. You need to be conservative and think way ahead. It isn't really fit for a Cruiser's role and it isn't tough enough to be a BB. It isn't a bad ship by any means but it isn't a ship I recommend others buy as it is just meh. I only bought it because of the deal being offered which made it worthwhile even if the ship was bad. Of course I won the regular version in a Santa box so now I have 2 of the darn things. LOL :Smile_facepalm:

Now, with all of that said, if you are a fan of the ship IRL get it. I am a huge IRL Hood fan. Lots of people slam that ship in game and call it bad yet I love it. Might end up that way for you with Graf Spee in game. Get it if for no other reason than IRL you love the ship.

Best of luck with it. :Smile_honoring:

Well said above,,pretty much how i feel about the ship,,and i play her every day at least once. Worst thing is the shell dispersion,truly a let down ,to see the carefully aimed shots splashing all around the target. The other weak spot is the secondaries , very limited range. Ship has the usual german hydro,with good range,effective against dds,but with the slow rotating ,slow reloading main guns, it can be very difficult to to hit them. Such a ship should have a much more capable(longer range at least) secondary gun platform for defense .

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
On 12/25/2017 at 12:50 PM, Sovereigndawg said:

If you like Cruisers you will most likely like her. The load time on the guns is really the only drawback. She makes up for it in alpha strike though. Torp angles are great just remember that she is a cruiser. On the other hand the Atlanta is a very fun ship although she gets concentrated on if you extend to far. She is an absolute beast in the tier 7 Scenarios. I found that I either didn't play it right or the reload time affects Graf Spee negatively in scenarios, due to the cruiser hull.

Yeah the hitting power on Graf Spee guns is a lot like BB, but not quite, plus the speed factor, and the not outstanding AA makes it harder fir Operations. But Operations are different, like Cleveland I often have trouble using in Randoms due to gun range and thin armor, but innOperations Cleveland is very good with perfect balance of speed, firepower, reload, and AA. The Repair ships in some of the Ops really helps the thin armor problem as well.

Last Ranked Season was tier VI and there were a few Graf Spee that gave pretty good account of themselves.

I used Aoba last season which is only other heavy Cruiser at tier VI abd fits my playstyle well and I certainly felt the Graf Spee's guns.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Spee is a great ship. Her DPM is on the low side, and she kinda sucks as an HE spammer, but her AP burst damage is really sick for a cruiser her tier, and she essentially treats other cruisers as playthings. Also, she is quite tanky by cruiser standards, and she has a heal (!!).

[-V1-]
Members
158 posts
5,857 battles

I just got my second Graf Spree.....The regular one and the HSF one that i already had. I only need one....Which one do i sell back and is there a difference between the two ?

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
112 posts
12,141 battles

After reading this I decided to hop in my Graf and see what I could do...I forgot what a beast this thing could be and I only have a 12pt capt in it. Granted I can't speak for the team but I held my own.

*Salute*

shot-18.01.26_15.32.51-0640.jpg