You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sonoskay

De Grasse, perth, or graf spee?

Tier 6 Premium Cruisers?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which Premium 6 Cruiser is the Strongest?

• Perth
    • De grasse
    • Molotov
    • Duca d'Aosta
    • Admiral Graf Spee
  2. 2. Which is the most enjoyable?

• Perth
    • De grasse
    • Molotov
    • Duca d'Aosta
    • Admiral Graf Spee
  3. 3. Which Tends to be most Profitable?

• Perth
    • De grasse
    • Molotov
    • Duca d'Aosta
    • Admiral Graf Spee
  4. 4. Which Would you Suggest I obtain?

• Perth
    • De grasse
    • Molotov
    • Duca d'Aosta
    • Admiral Graf Spee

23 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,429 posts
2,743 battles

I was gifted a pre-paid card  for warships and one of the things i needed is a Solid premium tier 6 cruiser as most of my Premiumships are battleships.

I have  Decided i want either the  Graf, perth or De grasse but i cannot  seem to decide which one would work best for me. 

The leander is my favorite non premium cruiser, However the perth has no utility to it right now, I cant train Commanders on it.   AND i dont know how big the differences between the perth and Leander are. So please Let me know what you think out of these 3 is the most enjoyable ship.

Also for funzies. Poll questions about the tier 6 Premium cruisers.

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
17,238 battles

perth all the way but I am very biased, perth is in my top 3 of favorite ships in the game, love that little ship, have a blast playing it, does need a good captain to get the most out of it and the smoke generator mod is a must, ifhe is a great on it

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
668 posts
9,538 battles

Spee has been a very solid ship for me, but alas I've not had the chance to try the others so my perspective is limited.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,285 battles

Perth is OK, I had her and sold her, I like the Italian Cruiser so far from your list.

[PVE]
Members
513 posts
4,355 battles

DeGrasse or Molotov, after only a small handful of battles in each the DeGrasse feels more survivable (than Molotov) and has torps to throw at smoke. Molotov's guns are divine. So far I like them equally. 

I have not played the others but the Graf Spee's ROF is a bit low for me, for a cruiser anyway.

Alpha Tester
2,208 posts
7,240 battles

If you played the Shinyhorse, then the Spee’s guns should feel familiar. The molly can’t take a hit at all so if you intend to get close at all to the fighting, don’t pick that one. The rest I don’t have so can’t advise on.

[BS]
Beta Testers
208 posts
9,331 battles

Graf Spee is a Unique ship and it looks amazing as well.

though it is not really a cruiser in the common sense.

but I’m a wehraboo and am strongly biased to anything german.

molotov is great as well, at least from the fun point of view

[LOS]
Members
564 posts
7,900 battles

I got 'em all and I gotsta tell you that I was put off with the Graf at first.  Only 2 turrets/ 6 rifles with a slow ( by comparison) reload...I parked it. Enjoyed my faster firing T6 premiums more.   Played the hell out of my De Grasse  (my previous favorite) , Molotov and Cleve. these were  my fav /t6's!

Then I found Lil White Mouse review and did a forum search on the Graf.  Read everything I could find.  I took her out of mothballs, polished the brass and oiled the teak.

Graf Spee is a revelation!  Fun, forgiving and powerful...she is Peerless!  Citadels all day long...just don't give the filthy reds your broadside or your lovely Graf will turn into a underwater memorial.

[TBW]
Members
6,423 posts
12,071 battles

De Grasse, Molotov, and Duca d'Aosta, I don't know which of these I like better than the other so I didn't answer the poll. I might have liked the Perth better if she came with a 10 point captain when I bought her. Graf Spee is fun but I like a faster reload time generally. They all do really good in scenarios.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,465 posts
11,815 battles

I have them all.

DeGrasse surrised me . Very strong ship and fun.

Graff is situational, but fun.

Perth is a blast with smoke,  but squishy when it runs out.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles

My answer for all of these is Molotov. Your mileage may vary, but bringing tier 9 guns to a tier 6 fight can be absolutely delightful. Lighting up broadside Atagos in three salvos has to be one of the great hidden joys of this game.

Members
3,828 posts
14,189 battles

De Grasse is my favorite tier 6 ship, with Graf Spee a close second. (Honorable mention to Leander) DG is a good all around ship and a sweet DD killer while GS is a good brawler but mediocre at DD killing due to the long reload.

If I was making the call for you, I'd pick De Grasse.  :cap_like:

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,722 battles

I'd go with the De Grasse or Makarov for a consistent damage and credit farmer.  You can get the Spee if you just want a fun unique premium.

*And yes, I noticed you forgot about the Makarov.  

46f.jpg

• Funny 1

Members
3,828 posts
14,189 battles
2 hours ago, hawkai said:

perth all the way but I am very biased, perth is in my top 3 of favorite ships in the game, love that little ship, have a blast playing it, does need a good captain to get the most out of it and the smoke generator mod is a must, ifhe is a great on it

My Nephew got Perth (and DoY) for me a few days ago. I don't have much experience with Perth but I wasn't much impressed. To me, she doesn't offer any notable advantage over Leander. Her very short gun range and poor firestarting with HE didn't impress me either.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,239 posts
14,670 battles

Most Profitable is the ship you do best in.

That said, personally I grade Perth the most effective of those but that comes with a big " * " to it.  She takes a very specialized, disciplined style of play.  You understand it, you'll do well.  In Tier VI Ranked, Perth was the best Cruiser.  But she has some very significant weaknesses to go with her strengths.  Read up on LWM's review of her when you get a chance.

Graf Spee is a solid choice as long as you don't try to imagine her as a Tier VI Scharnhorst.  You'll get rekt.  However, her semi-wonky-gunnery is a problem in my eyes.  She's great in dealing with BBs and Cruisers but when you need PRECISION against Destroyers, she is wanting.  6 guns with her accuracy is not good.  She's also pretty slow for a Cruiser.  Just account for these weaknesses and she'll sing for you.  She has Repair Party, which for Tier VI is exceedingly rare for Cruisers.

However, DeGrasse is the simplest, easiest to play out of all these Tier VI Premium Cruisers.  Good range, respectable reload rate, good shell performance at range.  She shoots faster than La Gal.  In general play, DeGrasse is a solid performer, very straight forward to play and succeed.  She's solid.  Just a bit uninspiring.

If you look in general PVP, DeGrasse and Graf Spee are the two best Tier VI Cruisers, in that order.

Spoiler

qtxQLAe.jpg

But here's where the waters can get muddy.  If you look in the rigors of Ranked, well...  Here's how last Tier VI Ranked went down.

Spoiler

XJDwqZw.jpg

Again, Perth is a difficult ship to really make sing.  You are not sailing out in open water spamming at long range.  You try that, you will die horribly.  Esp. when you realize how short her gun range is, which is terrifying in a Tier VIII match.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Alpha Tester
1,429 posts
2,743 battles
19 minutes ago, yashma said:

I'd go with the De Grasse or Makarov for a consistent damage and credit farmer.  You can get the Spee if you just want a fun unique premium.

*And yes, I noticed you forgot about the Makarov.  

46f.jpg

The Makarov  was Labeled As A PROMO  ship in the wiki. Thats why I left it out.

I figured most people  would label the molotov  as the strongest ship. Buy you guys may have sold me on the DeGrasse.  So far french ships have been wonderful to play.

As for the spee. I have such a hard time with the scharn  that if she plays like the scharn at all I wouldn't be terribly  interested.

[4HIM]
Members
1,818 posts
4,176 battles

Don't have Perth of DeGrasse.  But of the last three, I agree that if you've sailed the Shiny Horse, there is some familiarity with the guns.  Decent torps on her too.  It is one of the slowest cruisers out there, and the slowest of the T6 cruisers.  Great guns, good torps.

The Molotov Cocktail is a glass cannon.  Great guns.  But it's the Kirov (a T5 cruiser, and it's squishy even at T5) with some AWESOME guns on it.  I think they're about the same as the T9 Donskoi guns IIRC.  If you catch a T6 or T6 cruiser sailing broadside to you, a simple click of the fire button sends them an express back-to-port-o-gram in caps lock and bold font.  But the torps might as well not even be mounted.  Dime store slingshots have better range (I think they're the 4km Kirov torps).  If you get hit, it's gonna hurt.  Bad.  But if you play your cruisers as gunboats and don't use torps much, it is kind of fun.  

The Duca D'Aosta is okay.  Torps on it have a ridiculous long range.  At this tier I think they're 10 or 12km (don't remember off the top of my head).  You have to be REAL careful where you aim them because it seems like they NEVER stop.  So plenty of time for friendlies to sail in front of them.  The HE on the DD'A is kind of 'meh' with a pretty low fire chance.  Decent fun factor.  But like the Perth, you really don't have a tech tree to train captains for.  Unless you're planning on snagging the Roma once she's introduced.  If that's your plan, you could train up a captain and plunk him into the Roma later.  Probably have to level the skills.  

So of those three, it depends on your play style.  Graf Spee is a unique play style, but the torps help if someone get too close for comfort.  Molotov Cocktail is fun if you play more gunboat style.  But you have to make sure you don't get hit.  It's a squishy hull at T5.  But when you have the same hull at T6, and get matched up in T8 battles, you can get sent to port REAL quick if a BB gets a solid hit on you.  

The DD'A is probably the most balanced.  But if you're accustomed to setting a lot of fires, might want to look elsewhere.  

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,722 battles
51 minutes ago, Sonoskay said:

I figured most people  would label the molotov  as the strongest ship.

I am probably in the minority here, but I personally feel the Molotov is the most overrated ship in the entire game.  The ship(hull) itself is pretty bad, horribly squishy with rather subpar handling.  Most people rave about its "Tier 9 guns", but I feel that is mostly hyperbole.  It does have fantastic AP, but its DPM is sorrily lacking.  The 152mm guns found on things like the Buddy and De Grasse are more consistent and in my mind overall superior guns.  Most Tier 6 cruisers have paper armor anyway, meaning 6 inch AP is usually good enough, and the superior HE DPM and fire starting rate just takes the cake.

In essence the Molotov is a crappy ship with guns that are fantastic at filling a certain niche.  But if all you want to do is blap cruisers, then why not play a BB?  The Spee also has guns big enough to overmatch the bows of many cruisers it faces, but also has the added bonus of being far tankier and filling the role of a "totally unique premium".  

*edit

I'm not saying the Molotov is a bad ship, but I do feel it doesn't live up to its reputation and that there are better Tier 6 cruisers.  

Edited by yashma
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,429 posts
2,743 battles

Welp. Thanks for the suddgestions guys. Got the De grasse. And while its still a brand new ship for me I am  struggling with it.    Ill probably have to look up tips and pointers later. 

Thanks for all your advice

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,239 posts
14,670 battles
10 hours ago, yashma said:

I am probably in the minority here, but I personally feel the Molotov is the most overrated ship in the entire game.  The ship(hull) itself is pretty bad, horribly squishy with rather subpar handling.  Most people rave about its "Tier 9 guns", but I feel that is mostly hyperbole.  It does have fantastic AP, but its DPM is sorrily lacking.  The 152mm guns found on things like the Buddy and De Grasse are more consistent and in my mind overall superior guns.  Most Tier 6 cruisers have paper armor anyway, meaning 6 inch AP is usually good enough, and the superior HE DPM and fire starting rate just takes the cake.

In essence the Molotov is a crappy ship with guns that are fantastic at filling a certain niche.  But if all you want to do is blap cruisers, then why not play a BB?  The Spee also has guns big enough to overmatch the bows of many cruisers it faces, but also has the added bonus of being far tankier and filling the role of a "totally unique premium".  

*edit

I'm not saying the Molotov is a bad ship, but I do feel it doesn't live up to its reputation and that there are better Tier 6 cruisers.  

Before the MM changes, Molotov was OP AF.  Back when "Russian Bias" threads were commonplace, there were 3 poster children for that:  Khabarovsk, Molotov, Moskva.  "Back in the day" when Molotov came out, her 180mm guns were beating up on St Louis, Kuma, Tenryu, Phoenix.  There were so many complaints about her, more than even Khabarovsk.

After the MM changes, Molotov has disappeared from any and all complaints about OP ships.  Her range, accuracy, power means nothing in Tier VII-VIII matches.  Even the Tier VIII BBs start getting accurate from there.  Personally, when MM shafted Tier V-VI and my Molotov, Amagi in particular was the single most dangerous BB for me to encounter with her.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
14 hours ago, Sonoskay said:

I was gifted a pre-paid card  for warships and one of the things i needed is a Solid premium tier 6 cruiser as most of my Premiumships are battleships.

I have  Decided i want either the  Graf, perth or De grasse but i cannot  seem to decide which one would work best for me. 

The leander is my favorite non premium cruiser, However the perth has no utility to it right now, I cant train Commanders on it.   AND i dont know how big the differences between the perth and Leander are. So please Let me know what you think out of these 3 is the most enjoyable ship.

Also for funzies. Poll questions about the tier 6 Premium cruisers.

Of all the ships you listed, only one is truly unique - the Graff Spee, which is what I would recommend. Others are just typical tiet 6 CAs with typical cruiser playstyle. They have nothing unique to offer. At least with Graff you get something different.

Perth would be a good second choice, but the fact that you cant train a captain for other ships is a HUGE downside. Why train a capt to high level when there are only 2 cruisers in the commonwealth tech tree. 

[NUWES]
Members
1,677 posts
5,620 battles

Honestly, if you can only get one, get Graf Spee. First, it's Graf Spee. If you aren't sure what I mean, read up on her history. Second, she hits hard (low sustained damage though), she is pretty well armored (for a CA, don't forget that part), she has a heal, and he has some of the nicest CA torpedoes you'll ever see. Her biggest problem is she is slow for a CA. Very slow. If you've played BBs, her guns are nothing unusual. They fire a bit faster than BB guns and they are a bit more accurate than BB guns (but fairly inaccurate by CA standards). 

Perth? Personally I dislike that ship. I sold it for doubloons and my Christmas boxes gave one right back to me. *sigh*. It is a good ship IF you can work with her weird selfish smoke, no heal, and short range guns. I never could. For me it is worse than Leander. It may work for you but if you can only afford one I would NOT make it this one. 

DeGrasse is the best balanced T6 premium cruiser. It is La Galisonniere but better. Its armor is better, it has more torpedoes and its ROF is a bit better (as I recall). I think it loses a bit over La Gal like a bit of maneuverability, but it isn't much. If you played La Gal and didn't like her playstyle, don't buy DeGrasse. 

Duca D'Aosta is a fun ship but it is very specialized. It's fast and at its best scouting and running down DDs. Its guns are easy to hit with, but they don't hit particularly hard against bigger ships which decline to give you flat broadsides. (I was dueling one in Graf Spee and her AP just bounced off repeatedly.) Her HE is rather poor (particularly with the low fire chance) and she just doesn't have a lot of guns or a lot of range on those guns. Her torpedoes have a lot of range but they are so slow it doesn't really matter. She has a hard time against bigger cruisers on her tier, higher tier cruisers and BBs of any tier. You just have to learn to play around that.