You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
rosleck2112

Tier 8 CV question

8 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
2,979 battles

I just moved up to a Tier 8 CV. While I am not the best palyer I am not the worst. I know there is a learning curve each time you reach a new tier but I cannot get any of my planes to land an attack on any type of ship. The defensive AA wipes me out. Am I doing something wrong?

[TBOW]
Members
1,263 posts
10,726 battles

Not sure, but do you hover your mouse over the ship list loading screen over each ship to see it's AA rating?  Usually at T8+, for me I look for DDs in smoke to drop torps into, I look for the German and IJN BBs next then I hold some strikes till later in the game when AA is a bit beat up on the USN and RN ships, as they usually have the best AA, especially at T10.  If there is just plain to much AA scout for everyone and work on holding the other CV in check, till the AA breaks down some.

[HINON]
Members
9,056 posts

Umm dont attack ships with def AA. Or you bait it out with one squadron then pull back and wait it out by setting a timer. Then hit them while it's on cool down. Also look for ships that have had a lot of AA blown up due to HE spam and hit those ships. Patience is key at higher tiers with CVs. You play to the long game. Keep spotting ships and protecting your allies while hitting lone ships that are away from others.

[RLGN]
Members
8,298 posts
17,365 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

Patience is key at higher tiers with CVs. You play to the long game.

Which basically means you are relying on your team not to be a disorganized gang of complete idiots for the first ten minutes of the game...

...such fun.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,753 posts
3,490 battles

Tier 8 CV play is really hard because of being up-tiered into 9 and 10 so often, and most of all the Neptune's and Mino's with freakish AA range.

You absolutely must be patient and wait for stragglers to appear, and only stragglers you can deal with.

Prior to the game's start you can look at both team line ups and mouse over different ships to get an idea of their AA capability compared to yours.

When an enemy Cruiser engages AA I recommend backing off your attack and waiting until it's down and then resume an attack.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,753 posts
3,490 battles

No problem man, patience is really the most difficult part of playing a CV. Wasting planes, even at Tier 8, can really hurt your impact on the game.

Yesterday for example, Lex vs Lex, I fought a guy with only a slight edge on him, except for the start of battle. He dove all 3 of his attack squads into our Tirpirtz and on the attack and exit I took out 19 of his 20 planes with a single strafe, and the Tirpitz got the last one. That destroyed his offensive ability for the long term, and for several minutes with the penalty in place.

My other advice to you is to put distance between your torpedo bombers and your two (HE) dive bombers. This way you have two attack groups. Send the torpedo bomber in first, and you'll usually get flooding with a few hits. This will mean they have to use DCP. Then follow up with your Dive Bombers for permanent fires. You'll generally get 2 to 3, which will generally earn you a kill, or enable your team to finish the job.

Just be sure to let 10 seconds pass after they use DCP on USN ship so that you know the bombs will actually cause fire.

I prefer this over AP bombs because the baiting trick is reliable for every ship type. Your dive bombers will still miss a lot, but the bigger bomb explosion radius will still give you fires, which is what you're looking for.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,217 posts
14,630 battles

You have to be patient.

Early on, focus DDs hard and look for idiots isolating themselves from their team.

As someone said earlier, preview the stats in the Team Members tab while the match is loading.  This is imperative in seeing what ships actually are built with respectable AA or not.  A high tier USN BB has a great AA reputation but if they didn't buff their AA, they're about as good as any other BB line to pick on.

Be very careful around the X Cruisers as they can have amazing AA and any build dedication to AA with Defensive Fire will wipe all your planes out of the sky.  Be extra careful with Neptune and Minotaur due to the abnormally long AA ranges they get.  Minotaur is especially dangerous because not only can she reach out to long range, she has amazing stealth.  RN CLs have no Defensive Fire but IX-X ones have high AA ratings and long range.  A favorite, simple ploy for my Neptune and Minotaur in a CV match is to simply find an island that my long range AA covers the cap and make it costly for the CV to try to harass our team's DDs early on.  I know CVs got nothing better to do at the start than attacking DDs, so I make them pay for that with Neptune / Mino.  Even Zao with her s--t IJN AA, will swat your Tier VIII planes down.

Be patient, be careful where you send your planes into.  If you're bottom tier you need to save your planes for when the enemy ships are spread out and worn down.  The BBs have taken a pounding and even Iowa is fair game to your lower tier planes.  Cruisers struggle to survive late in the game so ships like DM are often dead already.  Be patient.  Opportunities will present themselves later.  You can't take advantage of those opportunities if you threw too many planes away early on.