You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Duke of York - WG is not really trolling us - answer inside!

63 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,877 posts
5,259 battles

Sometimes in the morning I wake up and out of nowhere the answer to a question pops into my head.  Half the time it’s a question I didn’t even consciously realize I was wondering about.

This morning I figured out why WG gave DoY the stats that they did.  It’s not DoY’s “fault” at all.

DoY is being used as a test-bed for a KGV nerf.   I’ve seen stats that show KGV is over-performing for a Tier 7 battleship.

WG has introduced DoY, and targeted deliberately low to see how KGV should be adjusted.  After a while they will buff DoY a little, and nerf KGV a little so they meet somewhere in the middle.  The only thing that remains to be seen is where the needle ends up between the two.

When this happens everyone will be all up in arms about how DoY “ruined KGV.”  But really that was WG’s intention all along.  Instead of playtesting two battleships, they test the one, and tweak both based on the results.

GG WG, well played.

• Cool 4

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,239 posts
4,807 battles
Just now, w4spl3g said:

Interesting theory.

Why yes it is...

[T-RIP]
[T-RIP]
Members
1,047 posts
8,082 battles

You indeed could be correct! 

However I don't think the KVG is really as OP as you may think it is, looking at all servers, the Nelson seems to be the real leader here. 

mind you, the number of games shown are few for the nelson.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,564 posts
3,539 battles

I disagree, I see her like the Russian T5 BB's DCS, a test bed for new ideas for future designs. Honestly I'm disappointed the WG changed her from what the contributors first showed. Sure she would have been a different BB but I think cruiser captains would have liked her and people like me that like something different

• Cool 1

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,564 posts
3,539 battles
3 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

You indeed could be correct! 

However I don't think the KVG is really as OP as you may think it is, looking at all servers, the Nelson seems to be the real leader here. 

mind you, the number of games shown are few for the nelson.

Premiums almost always lead, not just cause their better ships but because serious players generally play them (NY and Texas are prime examples of this since out side of a slightly better Turret angle and AA she is a worse NY in every way possible yet out performs nearly every ship in her tier)

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,137 posts
7,663 battles

I thought this too and asked the devs about it.  They were mum about any upcoming nerfs to King George V.  In my review of Duke of York had to be judged upon its own merits.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,877 posts
5,259 battles
17 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I thought this too and asked the devs about it.  They were mum about any upcoming nerfs to King George V.  In my review of Duke of York had to be judged upon its own merits.

Doesn’t sound like they really denied it either.

It’s understandable that they might not want to advertise a nerf to a popular ship until they have to.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

On the plus side, if true this means that DoY will get buff sooner rather than later.  On the down side it means that KGV is getting a nerf.

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,852 battles

DoY really, really needs a buff... and not a small one. That RoF really impairs her. Even for a free ship.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
39 posts
13,785 battles

Even though I dont

like the reload time of the DOY . I still beat in heads with it . Just need to adapt your gameplay. Adrenaline rush is a must take damage and reload goes down. 

[WGA]
Administrator
701 posts
251 battles

While this does sound like an Emperor Palpatine like plan, there aren't plans for a Duke of York adjustment at this time.  The team however is continuing to review feedback and data based on it's play. 

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,852 battles
14 minutes ago, Rommelsbook said:

Even though I dont

like the reload time of the DOY . I still beat in heads with it . Just need to adapt your gameplay. Adrenaline rush is a must take damage and reload goes down. 

So to use the ship effectively, you need first to be beaten to hell... nice...

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts

I don't think the KGV is Overpowered at all. It does super high damage, like the rest of the RN BB's, but it does't get as many SINKS which is all that matters in the long run. Yeah burning other BB"s is fun, but if you don't put them down it doesn't really matter how much damage you did. The only thing I think that gives the KGV a slight edge is it's dispersion up close. I've seen it posted both ways: linear and non-linear, but the KGV does NOT seem to be a linear regression of dispersion because it follows the lead from Warspite as being maybe the most dangerous DD hunters among BB's. It's super tight <8km and can easily land 4-5 shells per DD which that will nuke most especially if one 'pens.'

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
269 posts
8,852 battles
16 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

While this does sound like an Emperor Palpatine like plan, there aren't plans for a Duke of York adjustment at this time.  The team however is continuing to review feedback and data based on it's play. 

DoY has great potential, beautiful ship, great history, but... KGV shows what it should be. 

I disliked the cruiser type approach, and with the abysmal rudder and acceleration it cannot close to the ranges the hydro could be useful (not taking into account the horrible reload)... changing the plane for the hydro is enough, as it is now KGV is too superior, so almost no reason to buy DoY (and I did it)

It really needs a buff... preferably on RoF, but on manoeuvrability could be also nice (due to the need to close in to use hydro) and secondaries, to separate it from the KGV. As it is now, KGV is good (not great, but good) but DoY is plain bad. And the AA is useless, too short ranged. 

Really, really need buffs

• Cool 1

[ARRSE]
Members
37 posts
1,027 battles

I've got DoY over on EU. I do ok in it, but its hard to play well. I don't know whose idea it was to try hydro on a BB, but its quite ridiculous and useless in practice. You have to be suicidally close to something to use the hydro (are you really going to contest caps vs Tier 9 DDs in front of their tier 9 supporting BBs?!) or, if you try to use it for torpedo detection, its largely a waste of time because the ship responds so slowly that it cannot make use of the extra warning time - if you are experienced enough to anticipate torp drops, then you will be ahead of the hydro anyway.

IMHO the KGVs ought to have been the ultimate tier 8 brawlers - tough armour, good repair, usable AP, maybe some secondaries. Its very sad from the historical perspective that these advanced BBs are relegated in-game to being weird Tier 7 gimmick ships.

• Cool 1

[AR15]
Members
454 posts
2,998 battles

While not out of realm of possibility its unlikely.  They have test center and super test to test things making a whole new ship to test a nerf on another ship would be a waste of time.  Why is DoY so different well thats prolly simple, they wanted to try and make her unique, something they try to do with most premiums that have a tech counter part.  Players tend to discourage cloning a ship, even when its an awesome ship to start with.  I find that silly but well people are strange /shrug.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,778 posts
5,809 battles
5 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

DoY is being used as a test-bed for a KGV nerf.   I’ve seen stats that show KGV is over-performing for a Tier 7 battleship.

Share what you are smoking.....52% WR isnt overperforming. If you go by damage, UK BB's are usually at the top of the tier for every tier. 

If the stats show anything, its that the G C needs the nerf bat, near 57% WR and 20-30% more damage than equal tier BB's. In fact, GC's damage #s are equivalent to tier 8 battleships.

Members
3,828 posts
14,189 battles
5 hours ago, Fastwolf66 said:

DoY really, really needs a buff... and not a small one. That RoF really impairs her. Even for a free ship.

The rudder shift needs to be reduced too, a lot. It's like driving Grober Kurfurst. (My Nephew got me DoY 2 days ago as a Christmas gift which allowed me to grind the New Year's Raid Campaign.)

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,877 posts
5,259 battles
26 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

Share what you are smoking.....52% WR isnt overperforming. If you go by damage, UK BB's are usually at the top of the tier for every tier. 

If the stats show anything, its that the G C needs the nerf bat, near 57% WR and 20-30% more damage than equal tier BB's. In fact, GC's damage #s are equivalent to tier 8 battleships.

GC is going to get hit with the ban hammer, no question.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,503 posts
3,435 battles

It'd be great if KGV got slightly nerfed in accuracy and RoF, then DoY slightly buffed, so that DoY has better AA and some accuracy while KGV has lower accuracy and RoF but better rudder shift.

• Bad 1