You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

LWM: Article Writer

22 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,321 posts
8,942 battles

LWM: Article Writer based on "Paperback Writer" by The Beatles

Article writer, article writer

She's Little White Mouse, have you seen her work?
It took her years to write, go and take a look
The content's rather novel and it's based on fact
She's developed quite a knack
As a World of Warships article writer
Article writer

If you have a warship you don't understand
She's always there to lend a helping hand
If you pay attention then you will not fail
She's hit the proverbial nail
She's a World of Warships article writer
Article writer

Article writer

She's wrote a thousand pages, give or take a few
She'll be writing more in a week or two
If you read her work then you will play with style
She's gone the extra mile
As a World of Warships article writer
Article writer

If you study well then you will see the light
She can make a unicum of you overnight
But in the game you will tremble in fear
If her ship is lurking near, because 
She's a World of Warships article writer
Article writer

Article writer...

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 7
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 1

[LOS]
Members
564 posts
7,889 battles

Poor LWM...the victim of such attention.  A full dance card is a curse when all of the suitors sport pocket protectors... 'A' for effort and +1 Snarg.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,133 posts
7,658 battles
10 minutes ago, Sinton said:

Poor LWM...the victim of such attention.  A full dance card is a curse when all of the suitors sport pocket protectors... 'A' for effort and +1 Snarg.

That's okay.  I'm a nerd too.

g8u6QEU.gif

• Cool 1

[LOS]
Members
564 posts
7,889 battles

2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

g8u6QEU.gif

That's OK, so are all my daughters...one of the things that makes you so endearing to all of your fans and admirers.

Confession:  My pocket protector matched my 'belt hangin' slide rule pouch, a lovely black pebbled vinyl item...it was replaced with an HP 35 in a black vinyl pebbled belt hangin' pouch...a wonderous machine in its' time, especially for a high school student.

35first.jpg

[PSP]
Members
6,321 posts
8,942 battles

Back when I was in high school, calculators were $300. You can get one 100 times more powerful now for $3 at Walmart. All the science students back then had slide rules. Mine was a circular one with a plastic case that also had several much-used formulae and conversions on it. It's probably still in a box somewhere in basement.

Here is one that looks a lot like it. In fact, it may be the same model.

deliveryService?id=NMAH-AHB2009q09165

Edited by Snargfargle

[LOS]
Members
564 posts
7,889 battles
7 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Back when I was in high school, calculators were $300. You can get one 100 times more powerful now for $3 at Walmart. All the science students back then had slide rules. Mine was a circular one with a plastic case that also had several much-used formulae and conversions on it. It's probably still in a box somewhere in basement.

In 1974 i paid $175 for my HP   a bare bones Ti was$99    4 functions!

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,876 posts
1,338 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

g8u6QEU.gif

I learned 30 years ago that the nerdy girls are the fun ones.  Not the stuck-up beauty queens.  Besides, the nerdy girls are usually as cute as the beauty queens.  They just put their effort into other things than how they look.  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,133 posts
7,658 battles
3 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

I learned 30 years ago that the nerdy girls are the fun ones.  Not the stuck-up beauty queens.  Besides, the nerdy girls are usually as cute as the beauty queens.  They just put their effort into other things than how they look.  :Smile_teethhappy:

9Mehxc3.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[LOS]
Members
564 posts
7,889 battles

6 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

9Mehxc3.png

Hyrule? Hyrule?  Now I can't decide if I wanna be a Hunter or a Tanky McTank Pally!   Sigh....

I'm triggered.

Edited by Sinton

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

9Mehxc3.png

Haven't you learned mouse? Hyrule is never free...

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles

I still have a pair of beautiful K&E log-log rules, though I'm not sure I remember how to use them.

Also an entire TI calculator collection.  Bought the first TI 4-function calculator at Sears for $100.  (Might still have it.)

Not long after I worked at TI on the software libraries for the first programmable calculator (SR-51).   Then when Calculator Division moved to CA I moved over to work on the test equipment for their bubble memory pilot line.  Ah, fun times.

So I think I qualify as a founding member of the nerd class.  But since I may have turned into a troglodyte -> no smart phone.  IMO a flip phone is much cooler (and cheaper).

[PSP]
Members
6,321 posts
8,942 battles
4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I still have a pair of beautiful K&E log-log rules, though I'm not sure I remember how to use them.

Also an entire TI calculator collection.  Bought the first TI 4-function calculator at Sears for $100.  (Might still have it.)

Not long after I worked at TI on the software libraries for the first programmable calculator (SR-51).   Then when Calculator Division moved to CA I moved over to work on the test equipment for their bubble memory pilot line.  Ah, fun times.

So I think I qualify as a founding member of the nerd class.  But since I may have turned into a troglodyte -> no smart phone.  IMO a flip phone is much cooler (and cheaper).

I don't even own a cell phone, much less a smartphone. The only reason I have a phone line at all is for internet access. Last night Dad called and said that his smartphone was frozen and could I fix it. Well, I don't know anything about iPhones but it's a computer and I do know computers so how hard can it be?

After figuring out how to get into settings, it turns out that he just had it full of facebook downloads, messages, pictures, and movies of his great granddaughter. OK, I just have to get some of this mess off of there so how to do it?

I looked into the matter and spent too much time last night installing iTunes on my computer, creating an Apple ID, changing the phone over to a new email address and Apple ID so I could access it, re-configuring my network to accept the phone, syncing it with my computer, realizing that the sync was eating up too much space on my SSD,  figuring out how to move it to my HDD, realizing that it wouldn't do Dad much good to sync to my computer, creating a cloud drive for him, then finding out that a free cloud drive didn't have enough space to store the files either (did I want to expand it for a "small" additional charge -- NO!).

Finally, when the iPhone ran low on power I plugged it into my computer to charge it... and noticed that it was just recognized as a thumb drive so I could move the files off it that way (now, why didn't I try that two hours ago?). I got pictures off but I didn't have the permissions to delete them from my computer so it so it took me another few minutes to figure out how to do that on the iPhone, and some additional minutes to figure out that the "deleted" pictures were stored in a cache and not really gone so that they were still taking up too much space to install the new OS and, thus, spending even more time figuring out how to purge the backup cache.

Finally, I downloaded and installed a new OS and got the phone working. Of course I then had to go through setup. Did I want to fingerprint protect it? No -- Dad can barely turn it on as it is and mom won't even touch it. Did I want to password protect it? Are you kidding me? I spent an hour getting access the thing as it was because Dad never set it up in the first place so I had to call my brother who then called his daughter, who then called her sister, because she was the one who had set it up for grandpa.

LOL. These "convenience" items sometimes aren't very convenient.

Beta Testers
614 posts
18 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Bahahaha, memories!  That’s awesome 

Beta Testers
614 posts
11 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Finally, I downloaded and installed a new OS and got the phone working. Of course I then had to go through setup. Did I want to fingerprint protect it? No -- Dad can barely turn it on as it is and mom won't even touch it. Did I want to password protect it? Are you kidding me? I spent an hour getting access the thing as it was because Dad never set it up in the first place so I had to call my brother who then called his daughter, who then called her sister, because she was the one who had set it up for grandpa.

Lol, funny.   I’ve been using personal computers since 1974 and still have to refer to YouTube an Apple support quite often.  It used to be when you got to be an old man you could be set in your ways. You can’t really do that anymore if you want to stay in communication with the rest of the world.   My mother is in her late 80s and still uses an iMac and iPhone.    My grandparents never know what we were doing, they didn’t even live near us. But thanks to social media I know everything about my grandkids, and their friends, and on and on.  And the snowball keeps rolling. 

[PSP]
Members
6,321 posts
8,942 battles
54 minutes ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

thanks to social media I know everything about my grandkids, and their friends, and on and on.  And the snowball keeps rolling. 

I can get on Dad's iphone and literally find out what my nieces have had for breakfast this morning, where they went shopping last weekend, if they or their husbands are off on a trip (would be good information for a robber), how their job's going, what friends have come over to visit, whether or not they have seen their mom lately,  how they feel about the new movie they just watched, and so on. I don't think that people realize just how much the post about themselves on Facebook. The other day, my sister was astonished that I could  just Google her name and get her mailing address and phone number. "How do they know this!?" I said, you were the one who out all that information out there. 

I try to keep as small of an internet footprint as I can. I suppose someone who knew me well could piece together the things I've said in forums over the years and realize it's me. However that would be difficult as even my family really has no idea what I've done in my life. I don't post anywhere but forums and If you search my real name you will find almost nothing except for some obscure references to a few dusty old journal articles.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,964 posts
1,487 battles
12 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I don't even own a cell phone, much less a smartphone. The only reason I have a phone line at all is for internet access. Last night Dad called and said that his smartphone was frozen and could I fix it. Well, I don't know anything about iPhones but it's a computer and I do know computers so how hard can it be?

After figuring out how to get into settings, it turns out that he just had it full of facebook downloads, messages, pictures, and movies of his great granddaughter. OK, I just have to get some of this mess off of there so how to do it?

I looked into the matter and spent too much time last night installing iTunes on my computer, creating an Apple ID, changing the phone over to a new email address and Apple ID so I could access it, re-configuring my network to accept the phone, syncing it with my computer, realizing that the sync was eating up too much space on my SSD,  figuring out how to move it to my HDD, realizing that it wouldn't do Dad much good to sync to my computer, creating a cloud drive for him, then finding out that a free cloud drive didn't have enough space to store the files either (did I want to expand it for a "small" additional charge -- NO!).

Finally, when the iPhone ran low on power I plugged it into my computer to charge it... and noticed that it was just recognized as a thumb drive so I could move the files off it that way (now, why didn't I try that two hours ago?). I got pictures off but I didn't have the permissions to delete them from my computer so it so it took me another few minutes to figure out how to do that on the iPhone, and some additional minutes to figure out that the "deleted" pictures were stored in a cache and not really gone so that they were still taking up too much space to install the new OS and, thus, spending even more time figuring out how to purge the backup cache.

Sounds very familiar to me, alas. Dones this many times with stepdad's i-gizmos and other gubbins. Give me a simple easy to sue desktop anyday. Only issue is using a normal mouse is so weird now, ( i use an m570 trackball mouse):

m570-gallery.png

Beta Testers
614 posts

I’ve been using one of these for at least 20 years. Kensington Expert programmable trackball. 

I use a real pool ball as my trackball. It is heavy and smooth. 

6D90A3B2-EAAB-4E10-85CA-EF946DFACDD4.jpeg

Edited by Capt_of_Satisfaction

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,262 posts
2,029 battles

I love how this thread went from Mouse appreciation to discussing ancient calculators to parents being bad with technology and now different mouses...

Ohhh, I see what's happening now!

• Funny 1

[PSP]
Members
6,321 posts
8,942 battles
2 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

I love how this thread went from Mouse appreciation to discussing ancient calculators to parents being bad with technology and now different mouses...

It's the circle of the life of a thread.

Beta Testers
614 posts
20 hours ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Hahaha