You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
EasternSun

Move Rank 15 out of Second League

11 comments in this topic

[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
127 posts
5,366 battles

Please next season lower Rank 15 out of the Second League. Players at that rank still do not have the basic skills needed to survive in Ranked Battles. To many still fire in open waters broadside in Cruisers. Yolo and Sit in smoke in DD's, and BB's just sit there ignoring the rest of the team.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,949 posts
7,519 battles

My teams the last two days bear this out, and I find I agree with the OP. Added to his concerns are DD's that just keep firing as they're running around, not understanding that in order to break detection they have to STOP firing.

Simple, basic things that should be learned in the first couple of tiers appear to be completely beyond a great many players at Rank 15 and back. I've almost given up on Ranked this season, due to knowing within 2 minutes that we've already lost, just from the disposition and behavior of my team. I've been at 15 for 13 rounds now, and nothing I've seen so far tells me that I'll be able to string the wins together to get out of it. I've been rammed into oncoming torps twice, dying right at the start, so even in 2 of the very rare wins, I got no star. So, only 3 of my wins really counted, and with those 2 useless ones, and 8 horrific losses, well, what's the point, you know?

The entire format of Ranked has to be changed, in my opinion.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

I only managed rank 17 with a 22.22% winrate last season.  Are you really going to insist I don't understand the fundamentals of the game, because of my rank?

Edited by Sventex

[5D5]
Members
2,286 posts
14,345 battles

Potatoes gonna potato.

Then again I've seen plenty of good players run from their team and just damage farm for the star than try to win the match too. 

Edited by 1SneakyDevil

[SALVO]
Members
17,069 posts
17,716 battles
42 minutes ago, EasternSun said:

Please next season lower Rank 15 out of the Second League. Players at that rank still do not have the basic skills needed to survive in Ranked Battles. To many still fire in open waters broadside in Cruisers. Yolo and Sit in smoke in DD's, and BB's just sit there ignoring the rest of the team.

Honestly, the "leagues" in Ranked mean nothing right now.  About the only thing that matters is where the irrevocable ranks are.  Personally, I'd like to see irrevocable ranks every five ranks, i.e. 20, 15, 10, and 5.

And for what little it's worth, I actually liked the seasons where below rank 15 you used lower tier ships.  To me, this is a good thing for less experienced players to get their feet wet in ranked.  And at rank 15 and above, you go with the higher rank (whatever it might be for that season).

Another thing, I don't like the current rank rewards at those ranks where they're currently giving out a "league flag".  I don't care about some silly flag that I'll never fly, gives no benefits, and goes away after the season.  Might some care?  Sure.  I'm not suggesting it go away, just that at those ranks where they're given out, also give something worthwhile commensurate with the rewards at the ranks before and after that rank.

And here's another idea that would have been nice for this season of ranked.  Maybe as a reward at rank 10, have a special permanent camo for certain DD's like the Benson, Lo Yang, Kidd, and Hsienyang.  Why those?  Because it seems to me that the USN style gunboat DDs are the first DDs of choice and giving them a nice perma camo might be nice.  Ships like the Kiev and some others got a perma-camo during an event earlier this year (the WoWS anniversary event, I think).  Anyways, just an oddball thought.

[SALVO]
Members
17,069 posts
17,716 battles
8 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Potatoes gonna potato.

Then again I've seen plenty of good players run from their team and just damage farm for the star than try to win the match too. 

Odd that I've never seen this.  The closest I saw was a guy in a Chappy who on Hotspot  went towards C while the rest of the team decided to swing around the big island in the west (a clan battles strat).  Turns out that the Chappy guy didn't speak English and didn't understand the plan.  Of course, I still think it was amazingly stupid of him, language issues or not, because if I didn't understand the language in Ranked, I'd just follow the rest of the team if I was in a BB or CA, and not go off on my own.

[5D5]
Members
2,286 posts
14,345 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Odd that I've never seen this.  The closest I saw was a guy in a Chappy who on Hotspot  went towards C while the rest of the team decided to swing around the big island in the west (a clan battles strat).  Turns out that the Chappy guy didn't speak English and didn't understand the plan.  Of course, I still think it was amazingly stupid of him, language issues or not, because if I didn't understand the language in Ranked, I'd just follow the rest of the team if I was in a BB or CA, and not go off on my own.

Yeah when you have BBs run across map and hide behind islands and take pot shots while rest of team goes down so they are last one standing and then fight or Chappy's run to the edge of their range and then yell radar up like it's going to pick up anything they are star farming. In every case I looked up the player and they were either dark blue or purple on Warships.

[SALVO]
Members
17,069 posts
17,716 battles
2 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Yeah when you have BBs run across map and hide behind islands and take pot shots while rest of team goes down so they are last one standing and then fight or Chappy's run to the edge of their range and then yell radar up like it's going to pick up anything they are star farming. In every case I looked up the player and they were either dark blue or purple on Warships.

Honestly, some of that seems pretty damned stupid for a dark blue or purple, let alone a more average player.  Hey, on certain maps, I could see a BB hiding behind an island if he can lob shells over it and moderate range where his chance of hitting rather good.  But I wouldn't do it for very long, mostly because I'd tend to think that the window of opportunity to use such a spot would be fleeting and you'd need to move out to engage the enemy where you had shots.  I've done this on rare occasion in BBs, mostly to get some good shots free from being spotted and HE spammed, etc.  But it's just not a viable long term tactic.

As for a Chappy moving out to close to its max range and engaging, jeez, what a shocker.  A super squishy CL with really good guns and long range decides to kite.  Does it remove  his  radar from the mix?  Of course it does.  But is that cruiser really on the team to be a radar platform that can get easily deleted if it's close enough to use its radar (unless there's a completely safe spot to hide behind an island) or is it there to use its excellent guns to provide a constant stream of HE spamming fire support.  I'd argue the latter is of more long term value, though thee are always going to be exceptions, like your team's run out of DDs to in after something in the smoke or torp spam the smoke, etc.  But overall, a Chappy won't live long if it's trying to constantly work at close to its radar range.  It will become every enemy BB's favorite target in a heartbeat.

[5D5]
Members
2,286 posts
14,345 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, some of that seems pretty damned stupid for a dark blue or purple, let alone a more average player.  Hey, on certain maps, I could see a BB hiding behind an island if he can lob shells over it and moderate range where his chance of hitting rather good.  But I wouldn't do it for very long, mostly because I'd tend to think that the window of opportunity to use such a spot would be fleeting and you'd need to move out to engage the enemy where you had shots.  I've done this on rare occasion in BBs, mostly to get some good shots free from being spotted and HE spammed, etc.  But it's just not a viable long term tactic.

As for a Chappy moving out to close to its max range and engaging, jeez, what a shocker.  A super squishy CL with really good guns and long range decides to kite.  Does it remove  his  radar from the mix?  Of course it does.  But is that cruiser really on the team to be a radar platform that can get easily deleted if it's close enough to use its radar (unless there's a completely safe spot to hide behind an island) or is it there to use its excellent guns to provide a constant stream of HE spamming fire support.  I'd argue the latter is of more long term value, though thee are always going to be exceptions, like your team's run out of DDs to in after something in the smoke or torp spam the smoke, etc.  But overall, a Chappy won't live long if it's trying to constantly work at close to its radar range.  It will become every enemy BB's favorite target in a heartbeat.

Trust me the scenarios I'm referring to they weren't interested in helping the team win. It was very clear what they were doing.

[SALVO]
Members
17,069 posts
17,716 battles
48 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Trust me the scenarios I'm referring to they weren't interested in helping the team win. It was very clear what they were doing.

It just seems so pointless to me.  You don't advance unless you win.  And just sitting back and farming damage in those ways seems to me to be a very unlikely way to earn enough XP to avoid losing a star in a loss.

It seems to me that if one really, REALLY wants to maximize XP for star loss avoidance and have a good chance of winning, then playing a good US style gunboat DD (or perhaps the Akizuke) is the best way.  You don't need to do huge amounts of damage to kill enemy DDs, but it's a fairly easy way to  get good XP for damage and a kill.  And capping is also great for the XP.  And so on.  And if you manage to do some significant damage to BBs along the way with torps, it's all to the good.  Just seems so much easier than sitting back at max range in a cruiser sniping and hoping you do enough to lead a team in XP, which just doesn't seem likely.