You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Harbinger1

detectability/islands

7 comments in this topic

[CTJFY]
Members
24 posts
2,830 battles

Hello All, 

Kind of confused by something that just happened. I was in my shima (5.9 detectability). No red destroyers left. 

Coming around an island, an enemy missouri somehow saw me, and shot me before i could see him (was hiding behind island, but it was large, so he didn't shoot over it...just like on the edge..by the time i could see where he was, his shot was already in the air, and i was dead). Now my question is, vision mechanics require line of sight (unless you are using radar or a plane). Since i only had the normal detected icon, i know he wasn't using his radar (i was about 5.8km away from him). 

My question is, if LOS is required, how the hell did he see me first? if the edge of his ship was peeking out for LOS, then i would have seen him, well before i got within 5.9km of him. As such, i am a unaware of how this worked...BB vs DD should be obvious that i would always spot him first, unless he used an airplane OR a radar/hydro consumable. 

Any thoughts..? is this a glitch?

thanks, 

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,351 battles

Missouri has radar. Also right now the radar/hydro detection icon is glitched and looks like an exclamation mark inside a triangle and looks a lot like the the line of sight detection icon. Did you see that by any chance?

[-K-]
Members
575 posts
9,344 battles

If this game worked the way any non-crazy person would expect it to, you would both spot each other the instant line-of sight was established. However, due to the fantastic reason of [nobody knows], there is a ~2 second delay in rendering ships once the game mechanics determine that they should be visually rendered. The Missouri may have used radar just prior to rounding the corner, allowing your ship to be rendered and ready to fire at as soon as the island was cleared, whereas you had to wait, because of the stupid rendering delay. As you discovered, it can mean the difference between a trade (e.g. if you got torps off) and a -blap-.

You're not wrong to be puzzled by this, as it's stupid, and was fixed in WoT a long time ago.

[CAST]
Members
1,197 posts
7,368 battles

The front of your ship became visible to him before your control tower had a sight line to his ship.  

[CTJFY]
Members
24 posts
2,830 battles
2 hours ago, warpath_33 said:

Missouri has radar. Also right now the radar/hydro detection icon is glitched and looks like an exclamation mark inside a triangle and looks a lot like the the line of sight detection icon. Did you see that by any chance?

damn..didn't know the icon was glitched. that must be what happened then...WG really should be letting people know about that stuff...well that explains that then lol. 

[TF-64]
Members
372 posts
12,788 battles

Rendering also is dependent on your rig as well I think. I've run into times where equal spotting ranges ( Benson v Benson ) and since my laptop is more towards the 'tater side of things, my opponent is firing before I see him render. He shows on minimap almost instantly so I'm looking in his direction. Not sure if this plays into you issue though after rereading your post. 

[-K-]
Members
575 posts
9,344 battles

There is a baked-in rendering delay that occurs on even the beefiest of rigs. Speculation is that this artificial delay is there to prevent an in-game advantage solely based on the player's hardware. Fair enough, but it creates a very unfair situation when a spotted ship is turning the corner on an unspotted one.