You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Spartias

CompetitiveClanOrganizer

20 comments in this topic

[5D]
Members
1,246 posts
7,273 battles

Whether you're looking to organize a clan or a group, this sheet seeks to help you do it!

This sheet does several things to help a growing (or already successful) clan move to the next level.

1) Provides an easy way to consolidate player ship preferences.

2) Allow users to quickly browse ship statistics in a variety of ways. (Unlike some of my previous sheets, this sheet is designed to be as fast as possible.)

3) Track player attendance data and provide a breakdown on that data in a variety of ways that are user friendly.

4) Allow for player notes for out of game communication. (When you don't necessarily want to use a website or facebook for whatever reason.)

5) Expedite tactical preparation by facilitating easy usage of MapTactics.

If you want a copy already click this link and it's all yours. If you'd rather read through this first, there's another link at the end. The link gives you the option to copy the sheet to your own google drive.

1) Provides an easy way to consolidate player ship preferences.

ShipPref.thumb.JPG.f7f9ee8c5358380302aa2d2485c36b5e.JPG

I used my own name as an example obviously, and I entered the two ships that I've used for ranked so far in the above picture. To the left of where I entered my name, the sheet automatically pulls in everyone that is in an entered clan. Clan tags are entered in cell B1 while the tier may be changed in cell B2. Once a clan tag is entered, it turns the sheet on. To the left of my entered name is a list of everyone in the clan that I entered. That list is for spelling purposes. The sheet operates of of the list of names you can see in the above picture. It does it this way to prevent getting off kilter. What I mean by that is this - if you enter a ship as your preference, and someone either joins or leaves the clan, the manually entered data is going to be off by one if the names are coming in automatically. It's also a problem with the attendance roster I'll be mentioning later. This means that you'll have to enter names manually one time. The auto list is still shown however to help with spelling.

2) Allow users to quickly browse ship statistics in a variety of ways. (Unlike some of my previous sheets, this sheet is designed to be as fast as possible.)

But yeah... you have the option of bringing in either random battle data or ranked battle data.

options.JPG.40594e30313fe680d4d28d502e0e0d3b.JPG

All you have to do is use the drop down menu to select randoms or ranked. The sheet will dynamically change the type of data it's bringing in at that point.

This is done mostly to help while setting up for Clan Battles, knowing which ships players like to play and feel that they have the stats to back up.

The color coding is dynamically set as well. I've set some basic stat goals up to start out with, but they're completely changeable if desired.

statgoals.thumb.JPG.29ade744b5de27dc62aee5ceed391240.JPG

All you have to do is scroll down and set it up the way you like it. Meeting the stat goals entered on a ship results in a green rating, while exceeding it by the amounts entered into the blue and purple boxes yields their color coding.

If you scroll down just a bit more you also have some more options for basic stats analysis.

shipsearch2.thumb.JPG.0184cd16291a453bf8b8b7c6e9698ef7.JPG

Here you can select individual ship classes. The grey section on the right shows how much more improvement one needs on a particular stat to reach the next color coding. Purpled out means that you're already purple on that stat. 

The grey section on the left brings in attendance data from the attendance tab at the bottom. We'll see more about that tab later on. For now, just know that if you keep up with attendance, you'll get that nifty breakdown when searching through tier 10 ships for your clan's next Clan Battles team.

Scrolling down even more shows the user a breakdown of everyone in the clan. I've whited out everyone's name and data in my clan except for mine (since that's the one I'm using atm to turn the sheet on).

wowsnumbersbreakdown.thumb.JPG.4aa8a5f8ef74a6593bdcf3c5fdc2c505.JPG

Normally the above picture would be filled with everyone in the selected clans data, even if they're not entered in that original list of names I mentioned earlier. WoWs-Numbers.com has excellent recources for clans, and I realized that it's open to import all of their clan data in one giant chunk. This made the import extremely quick and data friendly. It also saves me the time of having to zip over to their website to look for this breakdown. Plus I was able to format it to be much cleaner (in my own opinion of course!). Once again you get the attendance breakdown, the difference is that here you'll see it for everyone, not just those that have a specific ship.

So what about ranked? Didn't I mention something about ranked? Ever want to see who's in the lead in your clan in the race for the big rank 1? Want a quick breakdown of basic stats on it? Scrolling down just a bit more you'll find another section. 

rankedleaderboard.thumb.JPG.e7ddc44377b00cf042cf20b169775b7f.JPG

The user can use this to see who's leading the pack, as well as sort to see who's got the best win rate etc while not in the game. Once again I whited out everyone's name and data except for mine.

3) Track player attendance data and provide a breakdown on that data in a variety of ways that are user friendly.

Down at the bottom of the web page you should see three tabs.

tabsforCCO.JPG.fdf400ba59cdd74a85ba51b70151fbe8.JPG

So far everything I've shown you is off of the "DataBase" tab. If you click on the "Attendance" tab you find the following resources.

exampleattendance.thumb.JPG.a19defcdd4dc7a868fd66913ae51724e.JPG

Here I've entered some examples. To the far left you'll see "Wins you Have" as well as "Wins You Need". by entering how many wins a player has in Typhoon league for Clan Battles, the clan may better make decisions on who gets priority when it comes down to those last few days. Once you have 30 wins, the cells turn black and the numbers white. The sheet also counts up how many have 30 wins just above where it says "Wins you Have." 

Earlier I showed you a picture from the database tab where it had an attendance breakdown.

attendance.JPG.82859c620fc49857f7cd1103818e4831.JPG

How does the sheet know how many practices you've been to and how many non-practices (events) you've attended? It's all in the name! If you enter the word "practice" in the title of the said event, the sheet will tally it up as such. This way one can make informed decisions like "huh... they've been to every clan battle night... but not a single practice night..." Typing "practice" in the name is all ya gotta do! Attendance data on all the other tabs is populated from this tab.

4) Allow for player notes for out of game communication. (When you don't necessarily want to use a website or facebook for whatever reason.)

tabsforCCO.JPG.fdf400ba59cdd74a85ba51b70151fbe8.JPG

In the  "Lineup" tab you'll find the following resources.

tactics.thumb.JPG.99a891df00a55705c12b6ea66b1cec31.JPG

In the above you may see a few different things. There are places for the user to set up different lineups of players and ship compositions, this is designed for use with Clan Battles as well as Supremacy League. Well... it's a very toned down version of the one I made for supremacy... this is a bit more generalist. You also have a section in this tab for users to leave notes. If you're using this for a small aspect of your clan or group, and you don't want to muddle up your facebook chat/group or your website with it, this facilitates that need. The big blue cell is for a user to put a link to a specific map tactics room, so everyone is using the same one for strat development. There's also a smaller blue box below it with a link to the basic homepage of the MapTactics website. Scrolling to the right the user will find a database.

5) Expedite tactical preparation by facilitating easy usage of MapTactics.

tacticsdatabase.thumb.JPG.4cce0341bd4199ac56fd5bc90a695bc2.JPG

It's in this section where you may leave tactic names along with links to their images. This allows the users to use the drop down menu in cell "K2" to find a tactic name. Once a tactic name is selected, the corresponding image appears. If you're one of those gamers that doesn't want to necessarily share the full breadth of your tactical genius with your group (your precious map tactics theory room... you know I'm talking about who I'm talking about...) then maybe this is better for you. It'll allow your group to see the tactics that you've already pre-prepped up for use.

So that's about it. That's what it does. I've already set up protections on the sheet. So whoever owns the copy of my sheet will be able to edit whatever they want. Those who don't actually own it however will only be able to edit cells that are meant to be readily editable.

Yup.... well if you like it, and you want a copy, feel free to click the link below for your own copy.

This Link Gives You A Copy Of The Sheet

Edited by Spartias
Updates to the Sheet.
  • Cool 11

[5D]
Members
1,246 posts
7,273 battles

*********     Fixed an error with the specific ship search function in conjunction with ranked. It wasn't showing the current number of total battles. Re-copy for the fix.

[SCCC]
[SCCC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
86 posts
3,951 battles

I like it. Thanks Spart. Miss you

[SUCIT]
Members
848 posts
3,662 battles

I wish I could give you far more than an upvote.  Thank you for this, its incredibly useful for planning anything for CB.

[5D]
Members
1,246 posts
7,273 battles
11 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

I wish I could give you far more than an upvote.  Thank you for this, its incredibly useful for planning anything for CB.

Thank You! Anything to keep the competitive community growing and improving.

It's a toned down version of the one I made for my own clan, though it does have the basic functionality.

[APOC]
[APOC]
Beta Testers
620 posts
11,317 battles

The wizard of google sheets, I look forward to playing with this.

• Cool 1

[5D]
Members
1,246 posts
7,273 battles

Noticed that the sheet wasn't color coding correctly in the specific ship search section. The part that tells the user how more until the next color coding that is. It was coloring all battle counts as purple level... re-copy for the fix. None of the numbers were wrong though.

[5D]
Members
1,246 posts
7,273 battles

Fixed a lot of issues with the wows-numbers.com import function. Should work a lot better now. Had noticed some issues when players had stats that were too similar. It was a problem with how I was organizing the names and the functions I was using to do it. The code for this is much more stable now.

Members
88 posts
4,058 battles

This is actually absolutely [edited]amazing. I originally had plans to create a website to track some stats such as organizing a team comp based on ship stat averages within a clan, but this just does pretty much everything I had intended to and more. I never realized how far you could really push Google Sheets...

• Cool 1

[5D]
Members
1,246 posts
7,273 battles
15 hours ago, ThunderBird2678 said:

This is actually absolutely [edited]amazing. I originally had plans to create a website to track some stats such as organizing a team comp based on ship stat averages within a clan, but this just does pretty much everything I had intended to and more. I never realized how far you could really push Google Sheets...

Wow thank you for the kind words!

If you have any ideas on improvements for it I'm always down for suggestions.

[5D]
Members
1,246 posts
7,273 battles
14 minutes ago, Your_GRE_Score said:

This is amazing. :cap_like: i just wish i could do more than just upvote this. Incredibly well done tho :)

Thank ya thank ya! If you have any ideas for improvements I'm always looking for suggestions.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,482 battles
On 4/24/2018 at 5:21 PM, Spartias said:

Thank ya thank ya! If you have any ideas for improvements I'm always looking for suggestions.

I'd love to see an Excel or MS Access version of this, or something similar, which--rather than drawing stats from the API--would draw from each individual player's exported data from MXStat.

You can get a lot more data and a more in-depth snapshot that way, plus you get the actual stats of each player from the clan battles. This is particularly useful, as clan battles stats are frequently wildly different from those in randoms.

I've been playing around with building my own setup to do that, but it kind of drags since I have to manually update all the data. I've never quite been able to grasp all the intricacies of adding and updating external data sources.

Some of the interesting data that I've been able to pull from there for my clan is stuff like looking at how long a player survives during each clan battle, and looking at how that changes between wins and losses, and how it varies between ships and ship types. I've also been able to pull hard metrics on how team performance changes based on ship choices and combinations of players. (i.e., we win 70% of battles where Player A is in game, and 63% where player B is there, but when A and B are both there we only get about 40% wins, and the same sort of thing for ships, and individual players + ships, etc.) That was really useful for us in Clan Battles last season,  and even though the team lineups looked pretty unconventional at times we went from Squall I to Storm I in 2 days worth of clan battles. (Then predictably fell back down into Gale by the end when some of our ideal lineups weren't possible due to real-life interference.)

Other useful thing: since it keeps a record of clan battles, it also will give you some history and insight into previous performance against a given clan in past meetings, if you have a second monitor you can play with.

But, yeah. Short version: 

1. I'd like to see an offline version of this; and,

2. I'd like to see it able to access / review MXStat data, either in addition to or instead of the API data.

• Cool 1

[5D]
Members
1,246 posts
7,273 battles

Updated the sheet to my newest iteration of it. There's some cleaned up code in it as well as extra slots for sub categories in the attendance tab. Oh! You can now sort by WoWs-Numbers "Player Ratings" as well. I've had that in my personal version for a while... so I'm not sure if I've updated my public version to have that until now. But if I haven't, and you want the ability to sort everyone by their Player Ratings when looking at everyone that has a specific ship, it'll do that now.

[5D]
Members
1,246 posts
7,273 battles
On 5/6/2018 at 3:14 PM, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I'd love to see an Excel or MS Access version of this, or something similar, which--rather than drawing stats from the API--would draw from each individual player's exported data from MXStat.

You can get a lot more data and a more in-depth snapshot that way, plus you get the actual stats of each player from the clan battles. This is particularly useful, as clan battles stats are frequently wildly different from those in randoms.

I've been playing around with building my own setup to do that, but it kind of drags since I have to manually update all the data. I've never quite been able to grasp all the intricacies of adding and updating external data sources.

Some of the interesting data that I've been able to pull from there for my clan is stuff like looking at how long a player survives during each clan battle, and looking at how that changes between wins and losses, and how it varies between ships and ship types. I've also been able to pull hard metrics on how team performance changes based on ship choices and combinations of players. (i.e., we win 70% of battles where Player A is in game, and 63% where player B is there, but when A and B are both there we only get about 40% wins, and the same sort of thing for ships, and individual players + ships, etc.) That was really useful for us in Clan Battles last season,  and even though the team lineups looked pretty unconventional at times we went from Squall I to Storm I in 2 days worth of clan battles. (Then predictably fell back down into Gale by the end when some of our ideal lineups weren't possible due to real-life interference.)

Other useful thing: since it keeps a record of clan battles, it also will give you some history and insight into previous performance against a given clan in past meetings, if you have a second monitor you can play with.

But, yeah. Short version: 

1. I'd like to see an offline version of this; and,

2. I'd like to see it able to access / review MXStat data, either in addition to or instead of the API data.

Holy moly... I can't believe I let it go this long without responding to you. I'm sorry!  I must have read it, and then gotten distracted, and then forgotten about it. 

I can definitely create an offline version of it, however it wouldn't pull data from the API. I'm sure it's possible to get it to work, but I get Google Sheets to do it through a google script. The script doesn't translate properly to Excel. I'm sure it's possible like I said, but I haven't explored it. A true offline version that works instead with zero access to the internet is also possible, but everything would have to be manually entered. A partially offline version that only pulls from MxStats in order to mimic pulling Clan Battle stats is something that I have zero knowledge about. I've used MxStats, however I've never even looked at how integration. Heck... I've never even thought of it. Pulling CB stats would definitely be interesting, so I'm going to have to look into it for sure!

However I would want to caution against looking into CB stats beyond win rate for much. When critiquing stats analysis in general, I've heard arguments quite often pertaining to how certain ship types (such as destroyers) don't really correlate well to the other classes. I'm not entirely sure that I agree with that sentiment in full, however for Clan Battles I most definitely do see that as a valid argument. Heck, I've seen many CB games won because a BB was willing to slip into a cap and cap it; staying unspotted by masterfully utilizing line of sight. I tend to err on the side of random battle stats being an excellent platform to use as "proof of competency" for future deployment in Clan Battles.

Either way, thank you very much for your input and fantastic ideas! I'll be looking into the viability!

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,482 battles
1 hour ago, Spartias said:

Holy moly... I can't believe I let it go this long without responding to you. I'm sorry!  I must have read it, and then gotten distracted, and then forgotten about it. 

I can definitely create an offline version of it, however it wouldn't pull data from the API. I'm sure it's possible to get it to work, but I get Google Sheets to do it through a google script. The script doesn't translate properly to Excel. I'm sure it's possible like I said, but I haven't explored it. A true offline version that works instead with zero access to the internet is also possible, but everything would have to be manually entered. A partially offline version that only pulls from MxStats in order to mimic pulling Clan Battle stats is something that I have zero knowledge about. I've used MxStats, however I've never even looked at how integration. Heck... I've never even thought of it. Pulling CB stats would definitely be interesting, so I'm going to have to look into it for sure!

However I would want to caution against looking into CB stats beyond win rate for much. When critiquing stats analysis in general, I've heard arguments quite often pertaining to how certain ship types (such as destroyers) don't really correlate well to the other classes. I'm not entirely sure that I agree with that sentiment in full, however for Clan Battles I most definitely do see that as a valid argument. Heck, I've seen many CB games won because a BB was willing to slip into a cap and cap it; staying unspotted by masterfully utilizing line of sight. I tend to err on the side of random battle stats being an excellent platform to use as "proof of competency" for future deployment in Clan Battles.

Either way, thank you very much for your input and fantastic ideas! I'll be looking into the viability!

I'd forgotten all about this, too! :D

Basically, with MXStat, there's a whole bunch of other things that I can correlate. Rather than just looking at the stuff from the API, I can get a whole metric buttload of other stuff. I can look at a single battle and see not only whether someone won or lost and how much damage they did, but I can look at trends like AP vs HE damage and accuracy, how long they survived, how many secondary rounds they fired, etc. Lots of things you can pull from that level of data for after-action reviews. It's not necessarily a matter of comparing someone's CB performance to their random performance, but it very much IS a matter of seeing what variations in their play or what their ship choice means for the team in a battle, or how different combinations of players can give us the best team possible.

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2 posts
1,794 battles

Test

Edited by Aegis_55
Duh!