You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrDeaf

PSA: 0.6.15 has a serious torpedo launch indicator bug

99 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
14,455 posts
10,465 battles

If you notice your torpedoes not going along the indicator, or you see ships firing torps into teammates, it's most likely this bug

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
3 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

If you notice your torpedoes not going along the indicator, or you see ships firing torps into teammates, it's most likely this bug

Wow. Just. Wow.

Troll devs.

Patch torp launchers to fire backwards? Check. Release Season 8 Ranked? Check.

[_ARP_]
Supertester
11,944 posts
3,937 battles

WG is well aware of the issue but you aren't going to see a hotfix until Tuesday at the earliest because of holidays.

• Cool 1

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles

If this is real, WG should shut down the servers until their unpaid interns figure out how to patch this. 

If this is real, it confirms to me that incompetence has run amok at WG. 

If this is real, then think of all the other fundamental aspects related to game mechanics they screw up - detection/spotting bugs?  A few nights ago I was watching a well known Twitch streamer wonder out loud about exactly such a thing when he was being hit while he should have been safely undetected for well over 20 seconds. 

• Cool 4
  • Bad 4

[-I-]
Members
1,719 posts
10,483 battles
1 minute ago, lemekillmister said:

If this is real, WG should shut down the servers until their unpaid interns figure out how to patch this. 

If this is real, then think of all the other fundamental aspects related to game mechanics they screw up - detection/spotting bugs?  A few nights ago I was watching a well known Twitch streamer wonder out loud about exactly such a thing when he was being hit while he should have been safely undetected for well over 20 seconds. 

It's real, they've known about it since the patch dropped, and they're working on fixing it but it will take some time. That's via some WG employee or another on Reddit; I forget his name and don't care enough to look it up. Tuccy maybe?

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
1 minute ago, Goose21891 said:

WG is well aware of the issue but you aren't going to see a hotfix until Tuesday at the earliest because of holidays.

Then unfortunately, if this negatively effects outcomes, potentiality plagues a major swath of ship types and classes, and could get players reported and in trouble, WG should shut down the serves until then.  They're being irresponsible otherwise.  

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,443 battles

well lucky me then... not had that happen in my DDs since the patch.....(until now that I jinxed myself I guess)

[SYN]
Members
14,455 posts
10,465 battles
9 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

Yes, it's posted as such on the reddit thread. I wonder how many people will read it though...

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
5 minutes ago, dngrcnnn said:

It's real, they've known about it since the patch dropped, and they're working on fixing it but it will take some time. That's via some WG employee or another on Reddit; I forget his name and don't care enough to look it up. Tuccy maybe?

If it's truly that complicated and time consuming for them to figure exactly where error is and fix it then it suggests to me that the engineering of their code is kludge. 

• Bad 2

[HINON]
Members
9,034 posts
5 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

If it's truly that complicated and time consuming for them to figure exactly where error is and fix it then it suggests to me that the engineering of their code is kludge. 

Overreaction much? True incompetence is something like when eve online had a patch that deleted the boot sector of the harddrive. Players then experienced computers that couldnt boot up. This is annoying and a problem but fixing code is not easy or quick at least not if you want it done right. This bug is also intermittent making it harder to track down and fix.

• Cool 1

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
9 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Overreaction much? True incompetence is something like when eve online had a patch that deleted the boot sector of the harddrive. Players then experienced computers that couldnt boot up. This is annoying and a problem but fixing code is not easy or quick at least not if you want it done right. This bug is also intermittent making it harder to track down and fix.

Incompetence is a whole other matter.  "Kludge" by definition doesn't mean incompetence.  Kludge is a mess but it supposed to work - at least most of the time. What you're talking about/your example is a matter rising to the level of negligence.

Edited by lemekillmister
  • Bad 3

Members
9,975 posts

I saw this the other day and thought something was wrong.

Really a poor idea to let a bug like that get out...during a holiday in which WG has managed to entice back a significant number of players.:Smile_amazed:

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
51 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

So a bug, and unintended size effect of the patch, confirms incompetence? Bugs happen in code all the time, you can't catch them all.

As to the twitch stream, provide me with the video, and I could attempt to discern what happened.

47 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

Then unfortunately, if this negatively effects outcomes, potentiality plagues a major swath of ship types and classes, and could get players reported and in trouble, WG should shut down the serves until then.  They're being irresponsible otherwise.  

It would be far more irresponsible to shut down the servers, I'm surprised you don't realize that. That would hurt the game far more than help it, immensely so.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
4 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I saw this the other day and thought something was wrong.

Really a poor idea to let a bug like that get out...during a holiday in which WG has managed to entice back a significant number of players.:Smile_amazed:

It wasn't intentional. Never is.

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
21 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

So a bug, and unintended size effect of the patch, confirms incompetence? Bugs happen in code all the time, you can't catch them all.

As to the twitch stream, provide me with the video, and I could attempt to discern what happened.

It would be far more irresponsible to shut down the servers, I'm surprised you don't realize that. That would hurt the game far more than help it, immensely so.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree regarding what's evidence of incompetence, what's a reasonably expected and acceptable regarding bugs, due diligence, what are WG's responsibilities to their customers, what's best for the game itself and what's best for WG's business interest. 

There's no such video available for me to provide - I wasn't the one streaming on Twitch. 

• Bad 2

[DD214]
Members
757 posts

Stuff happens, we don't have all the fact,  know the why or how yet.  Given the number of variables, including possible mods, user hardware and drivers, game source code, etc. I'm not ready to point fingers or pass judgment. Shutting down the severs? How many times has this happened?  Not to jinx myself, 25 games in various tiers in dds and have not see it. Let's revisit  the topic once they ID the problem.

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
33 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

It wasn't intentional. Never is.

Who said anything about the bug itself being intentional?  The only intentional acts involved are in regards how they've been going about handling the situation subsequent to becoming aware of the problem.  

LOL... everything thing I've said about the matter has clearly triggered somebody. 

Edited by lemekillmister
  • Bad 2

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,285 posts
25,344 battles

Bots in co-op have been having this behavior ever since Operations were introduced

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

I've had a different torpedo indicator problem on this patch.  It says my torpedoes were ready to go, but they would not fire.  It could be their were on cooldown at the start of the match, but the indicator said they were ready to fire.  This nearly got me killed since torpedoes were my only option to win at that point, and I just sat there pressing 3 and clicking like mad for 30 seconds instead of shooting.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
Just now, Sventex said:

I've had a different torpedo indicator problem on this patch.  It says my torpedoes were ready to go, but they would not fire.  It could be their were on cooldown at the start of the match, but the indicator said they were ready to fire.  This nearly got me killed since torpedoes were my only option to win at that point, and I just sat there pressing 3 and clicking like mad for 30 seconds instead of shooting.

Oh, I've seen that too, glitchy stuttery indicator, function keys not working for whole matches, eating 10K volleys while moving and not firing inside smoke from ~20 KM away and other [edited]. But I've never seen my torps fire completely backwards at my teammates. LOL. Not sure how common this is but I expect to see a lot more pink.

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

Come to think of it, on the last patch there was an occasion when my torps were loaded but the indicator was still yellow instead of green.  It happened a few weeks ago and I had forgotten about it. 

[5IN]
Members
1,792 posts
8,139 battles

I wonder if they will reverse TK status if you can show the torps fired backwards due to the bug. 

Anyway, I've not experienced this but bugs happen.  I'm sure WG will get it fixed as soon as they can.  

B