Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Torpedo boats in World of warships?

8 comments in this topic

Members
267 posts
4,751 battles

Which destroyers may be considered as torpedo boats in World of Warships? Which destroyer/torpedo boat has the best concealment/detection range?

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,106 battles

Isokaze 5.3 km with 7 km torpedoes 

Yugumo 5.4 km with 12 km torpedoes

http://shipcomrade.com/ships/japan

Keep in mind that you need Concealment Expert skill.  Plus at Tier 8 and above the Concealment upgrade to minimize detection range. The detection numbers on that website include neither. 

Members
413 posts
6,085 battles

USS Fletcher with 10.5km range torp and 1.4km detection torp

USS Gearing with 16.5km range torp and 1.4km detection torp

ALL IJN DDs (except for Akizuki) are good at concealment and bad at everything else, don't be fooled by the high damage but 1.7km detection torp so they are not torpedo boat

Alpha Tester
1,970 posts
39 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

Which destroyers may be considered as torpedo boats in World of Warships? Which destroyer/torpedo boat has the best concealment/detection range?

V-25 is historically a torpedo boat. With Concealment Expert, its detection range becomes 4.8 km which is the lowest of any DD in the game I believe.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,424 posts
9,614 battles

V-170 is the best 'torpedo boat' with the forward firing mounts.

Low detection range and be as sneaky conceal all you like.

But 'after spotted' ability to close with the enemy quickly, and strike -- and SURVIVE the assault goes to the V-170.

For being at tier 4, I place it as an equal to the Kamikaze and Fujin.  And I have all 3.  With so many missions being at T4, the V-170 never rests long.

[_ARP_]
Supertester
11,944 posts
3,937 battles

T-22 (Elbing-class) was classified as a Fleet Torpedo Boat despite being comparable in size to some destroyers.

Edited by Goose21891

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,478 posts
8,157 battles

Despite what some say, IJN I find still the best. Used right, regardless of detection range on it's torps, you can spend a match never seen yet either destroying enemy ships or denying them an area - or lead them on a wild goose chase trying to find and kill you. Once you get to the 10 km torps on them, if you know what your doing and max concealment you can take the torp speed skill and still have stealth torping at tiers the rest can't. As it currently stands glad I finally got the 8km torps on Yugumo since I honestly don't usually need that big a buffer. Learn to lead the enemy not just with the pop up line but anticipate their movements and course changes, don't try unless your close and sure enough you'll hit to just fire one tube, don't be afraid to use 2-3 tubes spread out to make sure you score a hit. 

Learn how to use IJN DD's properly - and their demise has been greatly exaggerated.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles

Are you looking for:

A) Those destroyers whose primary weapon is most usefully the torpedo, or...

B) Those small, fast ships which destroyers were originally designed to kill?

The closest in-game answer to B is the German, Pan-Asian and Japanese Tier 2 DD's. The closest answer to A is a matter of much debate and depends on which tier you are at, how much you fear radar/hydro, etc.

Sign in to follow this