Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IBM

murmansk the squishyest ship?

42 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

10
Members
85 posts
7,872 battles

i took my murmansk out because i need silver bad.

and since i have I get nothing but funny comments like the floating citadel is finally dead.

or motorised powderkeg.

the murmansk is like a huge DD no armor and is citadel'd bt dd's and cruisers from front and back and sides.

I was wondering since you don't make ships and modules according to history why does this wallet ship have to be such a piece of crap?

the guns are no big deal, it only has one set of torps on each side and you don't find out its so soft till you spend your money on it.

Dd's that usa sold to asia are given radar yet usa dd's dont get it that doesnt make sense and is not correct according to history.

so why does this thing have to be one hit killed by BB's and one salvo killed by cruisers and multi citadel'd by dd's give it a little armor buff for the love of god!

so people stop calling it names

 

 

Edited by IBM
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,799
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,496 battles

All of the tier 5 cruisers are floating citadels. That's nothing new.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,696
Members
18,201 posts
5,196 battles
13 minutes ago, IBM said:

 

the guns are no big deal, it only has one set of torps on each side and you don't find out its so soft till you spend your money on it.

You only find out it's soft before spending money if you buy it before you've played other Tier 5 cruisers.

You also forgot to mention that, for whatever reason, it has quite superior rudder shift, as compared to Omaha. Using that is how you avoid getting hit.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
468
[4HIM]
Members
1,799 posts
4,058 battles

Well then don't try the Molotov Cocktail then.  It's at least as squishy, if not more so than the Omaha (which IIRC is what the Murmansk is based on).  But the Molotov Cocktail is T6 (so it sees T8's a LOT).  Great guns on it, but beer cans have better armor.  OTOH, I've watched a Murmansk in spectator mode as it bounced multiple shots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
468
[4HIM]
Members
1,799 posts
4,058 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

You only find out it's soft before spending money if you buy it before you've played other Tier 5 cruisers.

You also forgot to mention that, for whatever reason, it has quite superior rudder shift, as compared to Omaha. Using that is how you avoid getting hit.

Also has a slightly better torp range IIRC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
466
[MIA-A]
Members
2,039 posts
9,796 battles
37 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Also has a slightly better torp range IIRC. 

And let's not forget that it has vastly superior pen on its AP compared with Omaha.  Because it's a premium, it retains some weird legacy values, giving it AP pen equivalent to a 203 vs the actual gun size.  Mareblehead is similar, but with fire chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[YARRR]
Members
401 posts
4,756 battles

When first released the Murmansk had a rep as being OP,  and was my chief money maker.  Power creep has left it behind now though, and I never take it out of port anymore.

The Omaha and Murmansk were old designs and pretty much obsolete by the time WW2 started.

Still I have seen some very savvy Omaha drivers.  The Omaha and Murmansk are very maneuverable and are quite hard to hit at range.  They can also put out a pretty good volume of fire and are very annoying to fight against.

In short, WASD is your friend, don't get too close to BBs, but if you show your broadside don't be angry if you get erased.  

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
468
[4HIM]
Members
1,799 posts
4,058 battles
6 minutes ago, ElAurens said:

When first released the Murmansk had a rep as being OP,  and was my chief money maker.  Power creep has left it behind now though, and I never take it out of port anymore.

Some of the YouTube reviews I've seen for it say it's a decent money maker.  Debating picking it up off the tree given the current discounts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
297
[CK5]
Members
802 posts
6,539 battles

Murmansk is a good ship if played like a water bug while keeping an eye on the mini-map.  The guns are not bad with a decent rate of fire and very workable range and the ship is actually a good DD hunter.   Stay away from BBs.  The best defense against citadels in the Murmansk is not getting hit so keep your head on a swivel.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
498 posts
12,662 battles

Murmansk is a good ship if you play it to it's strengths.  Play at range and like others have said keep moving, it is a flamethrower to BBs especially with your spotter plane outside of almost all their ranges, kills dds like nothing, and lastly with aft it is actually a pretty good AA ship for T5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[GLF]
Beta Testers
523 posts
10,501 battles
2 hours ago, IBM said:

i took my murmansk out because i need silver bad.

and since i have I get nothing but funny comments like the floating citadel is finally dead.

or motorised powderkeg.

the murmansk is like a huge DD no armor and is citadel'd bt dd's and cruisers from front and back and sides.

I was wondering since you don't make ships and modules according to history why does this wallet ship have to be such a piece of crap?

the guns are no big deal, it only has one set of torps on each side and you don't find out its so soft till you spend your money on it.

Dd's that usa sold to asia are given radar yet usa dd's dont get it that doesnt make sense and is not correct according to history.

so why does this thing have to be one hit killed by BB's and one salvo killed by cruisers and multi citadel'd by dd's give it a little armor buff for the love of god!

so people stop calling it names

 

 

You think Mansk is fragile? You should check out Yubari....last week a machinist mate dropped a wrench and it went through 2 decks and the hull, was in dry-dock for a week....lol

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

murmansk can still dish out dmg, but   you have to be very careful .   I did get a solo warrior recently in one in t7 match.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,788
[SALVO]
Members
17,043 posts
17,674 battles

I do quite well in my Marblehead and my Murmansk, thank you very much.  You just have to know how to avoid taking hits when playing a cruiser.  Some people can do it quite well.  And some people seem to play their cruisers like they're shell magnets.

Not counting the rare detonation, I can safely say that to the best of my memory, I've never been outright deleted in a single volley when playing either of these two premiums, at least not when I'm kiting at near their max range.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,976
[ARGSY]
Members
6,267 posts
4,224 battles

The Emerald is the more frustrating ship because the Emerald has no HE and cannot reap fire damage. How I got a Vampire using only her and the Danae, I will never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
148
[S0L0]
Beta Testers
495 posts
3,653 battles
11 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I do quite well in my Marblehead and my Murmansk, thank you very much.  You just have to know how to avoid taking hits when playing a cruiser.  Some people can do it quite well.  And some people seem to play their cruisers like they're shell magnets.

Not counting the rare detonation, I can safely say that to the best of my memory, I've never been outright deleted in a single volley when playing either of these two premiums, at least not when I'm kiting at near their max range.

 

THIS^^

Murmansk was my first premium (along side the Beta Pack) and I got Marblehead at PAX West 2015.  They are my go-to light cruisers for some mid tier fire spamming, kiting, BB burning fun.  I find that a lot of players ignore me in my Marble which allows me to spam HE all over the place and use AP to farm cruiser citadels.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
599
[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,569 battles
2 hours ago, IBM said:

i took my murmansk out because i need silver bad.

and since i have I get nothing but funny comments like the floating citadel is finally dead.

or motorised powderkeg.

the murmansk is like a huge DD no armor and is citadel'd bt dd's and cruisers from front and back and sides.

I was wondering since you don't make ships and modules according to history why does this wallet ship have to be such a piece of crap?

the guns are no big deal, it only has one set of torps on each side and you don't find out its so soft till you spend your money on it.

Dd's that usa sold to asia are given radar yet usa dd's dont get it that doesnt make sense and is not correct according to history.

so why does this thing have to be one hit killed by BB's and one salvo killed by cruisers and multi citadel'd by dd's give it a little armor buff for the love of god!

so people stop calling it names

 

 

Have 2600 games in Murmansk,it’s my favorite ship to play 

it suffers from power creep bigtime ,couple that MM with facing Vll ships, often and it makes the situation worse .. it’s squishy.. made of glass Fragile however,it does have the one thing over all others to survive,best Cruiser rudder shift in game bar none so you can avoid shots and limit Damage at 10+k ..run the speed flag this also helps,always use incoming fire alert and hard over if fired upon and if detected constant port- starboard maneuvers

I use Torps for area denial there slow so setting up to use otherwise is risky

guns are ok and in many battles with Vll Cruisers I usually get a lot more hits but loose the battle with my squishyness, usually will in a last ditch effort head directly at enemy as you can bring all guns to bear on this ship 

I run the spotter plane making its range to just over 17 k

It’s a fun boat , A big DD on steroids 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
873
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,445 posts
8,092 battles

Any time I've deleted it and the similar ships, it's been broadside in a BB or a torp salvo and well, that first one -

showing-your-broadside-to-a-battleship-t

Honestly, having only gone against the ship, don't own one, Atlanta seems way squishier. Namely because of how often  toss HE at them and they get detonated. One with a Cleveland at max gun range as it was briefly spotted and going to be in range by the time the shells arived, and the first shell that hit blew it up - long before IFHE was a thing. Then there's the one I detonated with Arizona, 1 with Scharn, 3 between Tirp and Bismarck, and pretty sure there's more. It and UK cruisers are the only thing other than DD's that at least at certain ranges, I always switch to HE because I overpen too often in my BB's which usually get's me torped. Damage may be a bit lower at times, but no overpen, still get some cits AND knock out the damn torp tubes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
302
[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,022 posts

You just have to simply exist on the same map as a BB to get Citadeled, broadsides ain't got nuthin to do with it, lol.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,043
Members
3,775 posts
14,010 battles
3 hours ago, IronWolfV said:

All of the tier 5 cruisers are floating citadels. That's nothing new.

Not just the tier 5s. ALL of them are. Some just have bigger citadels than others.  :cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,043
Members
3,775 posts
14,010 battles
5 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

You just have to simply exist on the same map as a BB to get Citadeled, broadsides ain't got nuthin to do with it, lol.

Aint that the truth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,866 posts
3 hours ago, IBM said:

i took my murmansk out because i need silver bad.

and since i have I get nothing but funny comments like the floating citadel is finally dead.

or motorised powderkeg.

the murmansk is like a huge DD no armor and is citadel'd bt dd's and cruisers from front and back and sides.

I was wondering since you don't make ships and modules according to history why does this wallet ship have to be such a piece of crap?

the guns are no big deal, it only has one set of torps on each side and you don't find out its so soft till you spend your money on it.

Dd's that usa sold to asia are given radar yet usa dd's dont get it that doesnt make sense and is not correct according to history.

so why does this thing have to be one hit killed by BB's and one salvo killed by cruisers and multi citadel'd by dd's give it a little armor buff for the love of god!

so people stop calling it names

 

 

Every Tier 5 cruiser is so squishy there is not a lot to choose from among them. A T5 cruiser is a poor choice to make silver, even a premium one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×