You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
geser98

Where's the logic in this ad?

15 comments in this topic

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles

This has been bugging me for a while - there's a WoWs ad on Youtube that features Atlanta and a punch line - "You haven't played World of Warships yet? Why the hell not?!" 

Many people have probably seen this ad many times. So, first of all, WG should really fire the copywriter who came up with this copy, because it's offensively stupid. Secondly, the only times I get this ad playing is when I go to some CC channel to watch a WoWs replay. What is the logic of playing an ad for the game before a 20-minute video of that same game? Do they have too big of an advertising budget they desperately need to spend?

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

TORPEDO THE YAMATO!!!!!

In reality, it's probably just that they did an ad buy for things related to World of Warships, which apparently includes World of Warships itself. :Smile_smile:

[TBW]
Members
6,423 posts
12,071 battles

Seems kind of funny but I only get ads for games that I have already played. So what Wargaming has done was pay good money to advertise to the people who already play the game. Rocket Science. I would have brought in more customers with 100 flyers under windshield wipers.

[SIM]
Members
2,553 posts
4,194 battles

I’ve actually enjoyed the World of Warships ad campaign on Youtube, and don’t have any problem with the particular line that you’re referencing. Why are you so triggered by it? 

[HAG]
Beta Testers
318 posts
4,079 battles

It reminded me of the Sega CD ads I was half expecting it to ask if I was waiting for Warthunder to make a ship game. I loved it it was ridiculously amusing.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,046 posts
9,905 battles
4 hours ago, Edgecase said:

TORPEDO THE YAMATO!!!!!

In reality, it's probably just that they did an ad buy for things related to World of Warships, which apparently includes World of Warships itself. :Smile_smile:

When I was in Japan in March I saw the Japanese version of the add.  TORPEDO THE MONTANA!!!!!

• Funny 2

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
3 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

I’ve actually enjoyed the World of Warships ad campaign on Youtube, and don’t have any problem with the particular line that you’re referencing. Why are you so triggered by it? 

Not triggered.

"You haven't used iPhone? Why the hell not?!", "You haven't tried Coca-Cola? Why the hell not?"...

You see, this line has absolutely zero product identity. It can be used absolutely for anything and as such it's a failed copy and a totally lazy piece of work which for whatever reason has been approved by managers.

Members
1,860 posts
17,687 battles

How can you have a problem w/an ad that includes AVENGE THE TITANIC!?

48 minutes ago, geser98 said:

"You haven't tried Coca-Cola? Why the hell not?"

It's a soft drink with no other way to use it then drinking it...bad analogy...

The "why the hell not" slogan has been used in other products that have a variety of option & worked out well...WG didn't create that slogan but it works well for their product because there's a variety of examples of "why the hell" you should.

I'm not an iProduct user but it could work good for them too as they have a variety of things you could do w/them...it just has to be put forth in the lighthearted comical way that WG did it to let people know the "Why the hell not" is just a joke...which WG did perfectly in that ad.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[PSP]
Members
6,359 posts
8,982 battles
6 hours ago, geser98 said:

What is the logic of playing an ad for the game before a 20-minute video of that same game? 

Some people might click on a WOWS-related video just because they are interested in ship games. I started watching Jingles' channel just because I was interested in ships and thought his commentary amusing. It was over a year before I downloaded the game.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,818 posts
4,176 battles
25 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Some people might click on a WOWS-related video just because they are interested in ship games. I started watching Jingles' channel just because I was interested in ships and thought his commentary amusing. It was over a year before I downloaded the game.

Same here.  I was looking for a video of the Battle off Samar for a co-worker who had never heard that story.  One of the 'related videos' was a Jingles video which caught my interest.  Long after that is when I decided to try WoWS. 

[YORHA]
Members
3,361 posts

The tag line aside (which I find amusing) the placement of the ads has nothing to do with WG.  It is the way Google places ads.  They scan your browser history for subjects that you are interested in and then deliver ads to that browser that Google feels you would be interested in.  So anyone searching for anything that has the word "Warship" or "Ship" or "Naval Combat" etc is going to see that ad.  It also looks for websites you have visited and sends you ads related to that content.  WG has nothing to do with it.

Google is watching...

Members
3,492 posts
6,195 battles

I find 99.9%of ads have no logic.  From the carryout pizza insurance to the guy going to the store in his new car getting one item at a time thru the woods while the wife is waiting to cook.  So many more it is not funny.  Marketing does not like logic...

[YORHA]
Members
3,361 posts
2 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

I find 99.9%of ads have no logic.  From the carryout pizza insurance to the guy going to the store in his new car getting one item at a time thru the woods while the wife is waiting to cook.  So many more it is not funny.  Marketing does not like logic...

Marketing is not advertising...