You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

Why Flamu and NoZoup are wrong about best Ranked ships

56 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
8,585 posts
25,702 battles

Both Flamu and NoZoup put out vids last week on what ships to bring for Ranked. 

They were both wrong, in the same very characteristic way.

Both Flamu and NoZoup are unicums. If they went into a T10 match in a Black Swan they'd do 200K damage and a Kraken, consistently. But I've found, over the last couple of years in a clan full of unicums, unicums and ordinary sluggards like myself think about the map and the ships in radically different ways. 

Naturals make poor teachers. I am sure you've noticed that good coaches are rarely star players. The best coaches are the workman players who spent a lifetime mastering and understanding mechanics, instead of doing them effortlessly. That is the same reason so many math teachers are awful teachers, because they are natural mathematicians and can't fathom the kind of mind that doesn't grasp an integral instantly.

Unicums are naturals, and more importantly, they are natural shots. That means that the map is of secondary importance. If they face three ships, they will kill them, no problem. They can redeem any position on the map, and any combo of caps, because they can kill ships easily and rapidly.

This means they prefer ships that reward good shooting. So Flamu recommended the chappy and the NC and Amagi, and NoZoup said he was bringing the Kooter. Those are all ships with good guns. They are also not so good for Ranked unless you are very good.

The reason is simple. An ordinary Random match has a long period in which ships grapple at ranges of 15-20 kms, where good shooting really pays off. There is no such period in Ranked. Most Ranked matches are fought under 15 kms and with long periods at 4-12 kms, brawling range. For that range, the N Carolina is a poor choice for an ordinary player. It has four problems: long reload, big citadel, bow-tank playstyle, and average secondaries. 

In a Ranked match, once you commit to a direction in NC, you are stuck, because turning off in front of Red BB at 10 kms is suicide. You can only reverse or go forward. Moreover, a Tirp can drive up to 9 kms from you, shell you with his secondaries, and force out of your safe zone. You might pummel him, but so what? He'll heal, and you'll be torped or citadeled to death.

The best BB choice for this season is Tirp/Bis. Those BBs rain down secondaries, can turn off without getting cit, and have shells up every 25 seconds. At the ranges Ranked is fought dispersion is less of an issue -- today in Tirp I killed a Bismarck at 6.4 kms with a 24K damage broadside, and then torped an Alabama to death a minute later in the same match. North Carolina simply lacks that kind of flexibility and machine-of-death damage output. At the ranges Ranked is fought at, for the average dunderhead, the German BBs are better. In Tirp you can drive up next to a cap and rain secondaries on it, DDs hate that and will run. You can put your mains on one ship and your secondaries on another, and rack up damage. No other BB is so useful at such ranges. And if ships get close, there's the torps.

Similar, the Kutu is a really good choice if you are spending lots of time shooting at 15+ kms. But in Ranked you're not. You are under 12 kms, often. Kutuzov brings no radar and its sonar is not much use. It has no heal. And at Ranked ranges of 4-12 kms, it is always spotted, especially if it is firing, and DDs are always around to torp its smoke. Kutuzovs are not useful, and people aren't bringing them. Chappy has broadly the same set of problems.

I am seeing way more Edinburghs, Atagos, and New Orleans, because those ships have better stealth, and they stay alive longer -- although New Orleans is a poor choice, since it is so easily killed. 

The better choice than Kutu is Atago. Even if it requires more skill, it has heal, a large health pool, can stay unspotted  at the edge of Ranked range, and has lovely torps. Its guns are brutal. It will be alive when Kutu is long gone, still churning out damage.  Edinburgh brings that same set of abilities.

Anyway, if you're finding those recommendations not useful, perhaps I've explained why. Or not.

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 14
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

Can’t argue with the security blanket of the Tirp - maxed secondaries that deter and detect re-appearing dd’s and allow you to multi-task two ships at once.  Players have to respect your torps at close range, too.  If nothing else they often have to show their broadside when they turn to evade.

I’ve been doing okay in Alabama, too, but you have to plan your turns carefully and make ‘em quick.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,725 posts
8,256 battles

Remember, it is their opinion, not yours. 

Flamu ranked NC and chappy among the top tier pick for this season, it doesn't mean YOU should take his word as the rule n 1 for ranked.  You take the example of the death turn with a NC. Well if you reached T8, you should know the basic of this line (like not showing broadside as a NC for instance). You should also know that NC guns need to some pratice to be used at his full potential, and you should also know that NC require a good positionning. If you already know that, then you will be fine as a NC, because her guns are more accurate than Bismarck/Derpitz, you have a better concealment to approach them and nuke their broadside.

T8 has a lot of good ship with a good balance. It's up to you to choose what you wanna play and what you don't . It's not because Flamu, NoZoup or other CC said :"I'll pick this one over this one because I feel better in this" that you should do the same. Flamu recommended Benson and Lo Yang as a top pick for good reason. I could play my Benson, but I prefer play my Akizuki because I know i'll do better in this ship than in a Benson. Sure there are ship I won't recommend and I would not have in my team (Kii for instance) .

Edited by AlcatrazNC
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles

They are making recommendations for people who want to get Rank 1. That's what the recommended section means.  There is an average section. 

The best way to know who's right is to see at the end of this season for which ships ranked out the most. (Whatever is used for the last few spots). You willing to be compared by data? 

--

That said, I do recommend Bismarck Tirpitz for normal players. Idk why he doesn't recommend them. 

[SIM]
Members
2,535 posts
4,182 battles

While I don't put much stock into the Tirpitz or Bismarck, your reasoning is quite sound and you make a compelling argument. Honestly, I often appreciate the opinions of unicums, but never lose sight of the fact that they're almost not playing the same game as the rest of the playerbase. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I'm finding success currently with Atago getting me from 17 to 15 in a quick 3 games. Gonna out in more over the week and see what happens.

[SALVO]
Members
17,068 posts
17,716 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Both Flamu and NoZoup put out vids last week on what ships to bring for Ranked. 

They were both wrong, in the same very characteristic way.

(snip)

This means they prefer ships that reward good shooting. So Flamu recommended the chappy and the NC and Amagi, and NoZoup said he was bringing the Kooter. Those are all ships with good guns. They are also not so good for Ranked unless you are very good.

The reason is simple. An ordinary Random match has a long period in which ships grapple at ranges of 15-20 kms, where good shooting really pays off. There is no such period in Ranked. Most Ranked matches are fought under 15 kms and with long periods at 4-12 kms, brawling range. For that range, the N Carolina is a poor choice for an ordinary player. It has four problems: long reload, big citadel, bow-tank playstyle, and average secondaries. 

In a Ranked match, once you commit to a direction in NC, you are stuck, because turning off in front of Red BB at 10 kms is suicide. You can only reverse or go forward. Moreover, a Tirp can drive up to 9 kms from you, shell you with his secondaries, and force out of your safe zone. You might pummel him, but so what? He'll heal, and you'll be torped or citadeled to death.

The best BB choice for this season is Tirp/Bis. Those BBs rain down secondaries, can turn off without getting cit, and have shells up every 25 seconds. At the ranges Ranked is fought dispersion is less of an issue -- today in Tirp I killed a Bismarck at 6.4 kms with a 24K damage broadside, and then torped an Alabama to death a minute later in the same match. North Carolina simply lacks that kind of flexibility and machine-of-death damage output. At the ranges Ranked is fought at, for the average dunderhead, the German BBs are better. In Tirp you can drive up next to a cap and rain secondaries on it, DDs hate that and will run. You can put your mains on one ship and your secondaries on another, and rack up damage. No other BB is so useful at such ranges. And if ships get close, there's the torps.

Similar, the Kutu is a really good choice if you are spending lots of time shooting at 15+ kms. But in Ranked you're not. You are under 12 kms, often. Kutuzov brings no radar and its sonar is not much use. It has no heal. And at Ranked ranges of 4-12 kms, it is always spotted, especially if it is firing, and DDs are always around to torp its smoke. Kutuzovs are not useful, and people aren't bringing them. Chappy has broadly the same set of problems.

I am seeing way more Edinburghs, Atagos, and New Orleans, because those ships have better stealth, and they stay alive longer -- although New Orleans is a poor choice, since it is so easily killed. 

The better choice than Kutu is Atago. Even if it requires more skill, it has heal, a large health pool, can stay unspotted  at the edge of Ranked range, and has lovely torps. Its guns are brutal. It will be alive when Kutu is long gone, still churning out damage.  Edinburgh brings that same set of abilities.

Anyway, if you're finding those recommendations not useful, perhaps I've explained why. Or not.

I agree with your reasoning that a unicum's opinion may not be a good reflection on what lesser players should bring.

(BTW, unless I was mistaken, I thought that Flamu thought that the Kutuzov was a top pick, not the Chappy, because of its smoke.)

I don't entirely agree with you on NC/Bama vs Biz/Tirp.  Not all battles end up as short range brawls.  And I've done very well in my Bama because it has solid armor, particularly if you work your angling.  And against the Biz or Tirp, just keep the range over 10 km, unless you have a serious HP advantage, though against a Tirp, I'd never want to close on it due to the torps.  Note that I'm not dissing the Tirp or Biz.  They're fine BBs in their own right.  And if given a chance on the right maps, of course they'll want to try to force a short range brawl, particularly with a non-German BB.  But honestly, I think that all of the tier 8 BBs are more than good enough to do well in ranked battles, if you know what you're doing and fight the ship to its own strengths and try to deny the other guy the chance to use his, if at all possible.

Also, I don't know why you say that there's no early longer ranged engagement period in Ranked.  of course there is.  it may not be as long as in Randoms, but it's there nonetheless.  And it'll last only as long as the two teams choose to remain at mid range or choose to close on each other.

As for the Kutozov, it's beyond me why you'd think they're not useful.  If I had one (and I don't), one thing's for certain, I would NOT be fighting BBs at 12km.  That's just plain suicidal.  I'd be at 15 or more km, sitting in smoke, and spamming HE like a boss, hoping to watch the world burn.  Seriously, why would a cruiser with no radar and great long range guns plus smoke ever do something so dumb as getting that close to the enemy, at least while his team still had some DDs to try to help screen its BBs from enemy DDs???

[SALVO]
Members
17,068 posts
17,716 battles
4 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

I'm finding success currently with Atago getting me from 17 to 15 in a quick 3 games. Gonna out in more over the week and see what happens.

If I end up back at rank 15.0, I might give my Atago a try, since I couldn't go down any further.

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
8,948 battles

Well mainly the CCs talk about the 2-5 bracket when they recommend something. At this early stage anything under 10 is a mish mash of randoms because of safe ranks. The 10-6 bracket has a wholly different feel than 11-15. This will change in a few days as more randoms somehow make it from 12-10, but the grind from 10-5 usually filters out the non meta ships.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,843 posts
13,808 battles

When you see a Pensacola Own a Rank match getting High Caliber and Confederate you realize that sometimes its not the ship that matters but the captain at the helm. 

That Pensacola Ranked out that season. 

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,574 battles

That's why I've gravitated towards the Kii. Has torps, accurate guns, and if need be, can also bow tank (Plus AA is better then NC when spec'ed.)

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,108 posts
12,663 battles

While I respect that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion on the matter, I feel like the reasoning in the OP is reversed. Players should be working to achieve engagement ranges and locations that suit their ships, not the other way around. Short of being forced into a bad position by the enemy's tactics (in which case, good on them), there's no reason for a Kutuzov to be <12km from an enemy battleship.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,405 posts
12,050 battles

I have all of the tier 8's except Monarch and Hsienyang and I will play them all. I will especially play the 8 that need XP to get to the next ship.  That much closer to tier ten. At the very least I feel like I am working towards something rather than just the Yo Yo effect.

[LUCK]
Members
1,303 posts
19,581 battles
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

While I respect that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion on the matter, I feel like the reasoning in the OP is reversed. Players should be working to achieve engagement ranges and locations that suit their ships, not the other way around. Short of being forced into a bad position by the enemy's tactics (in which case, good on them), there's no reason for a Kutuzov to be <12km from an enemy battleship.

Yup. 15 to12 in 9 battles, all Kutu (very good DD play in those as well). Lost 1 which is the only one I was destroyed in. Signal up and burn things. Kutu will reliably hit DDs at 12km and with IFHE takes chunks of HP.

[SALVO]
Members
17,068 posts
17,716 battles
14 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

That's why I've gravitated towards the Kii. Has torps, accurate guns, and if need be, can also bow tank (Plus AA is better then NC when spec'ed.)

Honestly, I don't feel comfortable bow tanking in an Amagi (similar enough to the Kii for this discussion), because it only has 4 forward guns, whereas it has 6 in the rear.  If you can make it work, good for you.  I feel more comfortable in my Amagi working in the mid-range, maneuvering and shooting, and constantly trying to work my armor angles.  Mind you, I've only played my Amagi once in RkB's, but had a really good game personally.  (The team really stunk, I mean REALLY stunk.)

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles

The problem is people don't want to do the utility jobs in their ships the not fun jobs especially dds.  Ya know getting caps, spotting, making sure enemy dds don't torp your bbs.  And most of all players looking to get the most kills or damage to save there star, holding back salvos to hit the ship with 1000 hit points left and the list goes on.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,844 posts
13,062 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Naturals make poor teachers. I am sure you've noticed that good coaches are rarely star players. The best coaches are the workman players who spent a lifetime mastering and understanding mechanics, instead of doing them effortlessly. That is the same reason so many math teachers are awful teachers, because they are natural mathematicians and can't fathom the kind of mind that doesn't grasp an integral instantly.

This is a good observation. I have a complementary saying:

"Teaching isn't about teaching what you know...but understanding why those you teach don't understand what you know".

• Cool 3

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,727 battles

The best ship for ranked is the ship that you as an individual perform best in period.  I'm most effective in the Kiev which tons of players will not even list in the top 5 of best T8 ranked ships to play.  Naturally because it's like a mini Khab and I'm 6th on the server in win rate (min 100 battles played) in the Khab.  But since I'm leveling my North Cal, I've been using it most often to kill two birds with one stone.  North Cal is great but you really need to know how to play it.  Which you can say that about any ship.  Tier 8 probably offers the most variety of viable ships than any other tier, but cruisers in this meta are definitely hardest to progress in for the majority of players.  The biggest problem is not passive play no matter how much overly aggressive players disagree.  It's the overly aggressive players (that are the initial cause of the snowball effect) who can't seem to figure out how to survive past 10 min when you need to be alive to turn a loss into a win.  And cruisers that can be one-shot are the last thing these players need to be driving.

One of the reasons why unicums like cruisers is because of the skill gap they cause by bringing them to battle in the first place.  You virtually need to be a unicum player to be a consistently strong cruiser player which means that in ranked if you are one, it's similar to the impact caused by a massive skill imbalance with CVs.  You're going to force the other team to have at least one cruiser, and the odds are they'll be a potato which swings a huge advantage in the unicum team's favor before the match even starts.  By playing cruiser, you also reduce the odds of having the crappy cruiser player on your team so the effect gets amplified even more.  This latter reasoning is often played out at the DD level because if your team has the mouth breathing DD players, the match is usually a loss so as a unicum, you want to play DD just to make sure your team gets some caps and spotting instead of a derptard that sits broadside in his own smoke blinding the team while eating torps and sinking before 3 minutes only to spend the rest of the time blaming the team for "no support."

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,727 battles
16 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

This is a good observation. I have a complementary saying:

"Teaching isn't about teaching what you know...but understanding why those you teach don't understand what you know".

Those that can't do, teach.

Those that can't teach, teach gym.

Those that can't teach gym try to teach people how to play WoWs.

Salesman starts a new job.  First thing he does is look on the walls of trophies and awards from the other salespeople and identifies who the top salesperson is.  He then grabs a chair and sits next to that salesperson and listens with his eyes and ears and does so for as long as it takes to mirror their every word, movement and style, like playing a song over and over and over until you can sing every word and every little nuance by heart.

If someone wants to be unicum in this game or otherwise gain the skill level to where they can produce masterful results regardless of ship they bring to battle, my advice is to not sit around waiting for someone to teach it to you.  Join a clan where everyone is better than you, even if just moderately better.  Shadow their every move, div with them and listen to and watch everything they say and do until you become their equal or even exceed them.  Then move to the next clan of even better players and rinse and repeat until you get your performance history up to where the best clans will be interested in inviting you.  This is the fastest, most efficient road to unicum for folks like myself who aren't "naturals."  And for anyone that wants to say it's jerk move to abandon clan mates like that, that's not what really happens.  Clans come and go so fast that you're going to have to make moves after playing for several years, it's just like when a company goes out of business or if you simply move on to a better job opportunity.  It doesn't mean you can't still stay in touch and be friends with past co-workers.  I'm still friends with old clan members not currently in my clan and some of the folks in my current clan came from the same clans I was in before.

Bottom line is no one can tell you what is best for you but you.  But no ship will get a person far in ranked unless they do what it takes to develop the skills in the first place.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,068 posts
17,716 battles
13 minutes ago, VGLance said:

If someone wants to be unicum in this game or otherwise gain the skill level to where they can produce masterful results regardless of ship they bring to battle, my advice is to not sit around waiting for someone to teach it to you.  Join a clan where everyone is better than you, even if just moderately better.  Shadow their every move, div with them and listen to and watch everything they say and do until you become their equal or even exceed them.  Then move to the next clan of even better players and rinse and repeat until you get your performance history up to where the best clans will be interested in inviting you.  This is the fastest, most efficient road to unicum for folks like myself who aren't "naturals."  And for anyone that wants to say it's jerk move to abandon clan mates like that, that's not what really happens.  Clans come and go so fast that you're going to have to make moves after playing for several years, it's just like when a company goes out of business or if you simply move on to a better job opportunity.  It doesn't mean you can't still stay in touch and be friends with past co-workers.  I'm still friends with old clan members not currently in my clan and some of the folks in my current clan came from the same clans I was in before.

Bottom line is no one can tell you what is best for you but you.  But no ship will get a person far in ranked unless they do what it takes to develop the skills in the first place.

VGLance, this is easier said than done.  For example, would your clan take me? I'm a 51% (currently clanless) player, but somehow, looking at  the listing of your clan and the thumbnail of your players' stats, I'm thinking not.  If your clan would accept someone like me, that'd be nice.  But somehow I just don't think they would.  

So, to be frank, I'd be a little more careful about suggesting that people join a clan where everyone is better than you, particularly if one is looking for a clan that's not just some clan of truly casual players, because the suggestion seems very unrealistic.  Oh, I'm not saying that your reasons for suggesting it aren't good and valid as far as learning to get better.  I just don't think that it's realistic to expect most of those clans to be as open to accepting players who have weaker stats than everyone else in the clan, unless the person in question is a friend of a clan member, etc.

Me, I'm open to joining a clan such as your own.  I just don't think that they'd be open to accepting me.

• Cool 2

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,727 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

VGLance, this is easier said than done.  For example, would your clan take me? I'm a 51% (currently clanless) player, but somehow, looking at  the listing of your clan and the thumbnail of your players' stats, I'm thinking not.  If your clan would accept someone like me, that'd be nice.  But somehow I just don't think they would.  

So, to be frank, I'd be a little more careful about suggesting that people join a clan where everyone is better than you, particularly if one is looking for a clan that's not just some clan of truly casual players, because the suggestion seems very unrealistic.  Oh, I'm not saying that your reasons for suggesting it aren't good and valid as far as learning to get better.  I just don't think that it's realistic to expect most of those clans to be as open to accepting players who have weaker stats than everyone else in the clan, unless the person in question is a friend of a clan member, etc.

Me, I'm open to joining a clan such as your own.  I just don't think that they'd be open to accepting me.

Please re-read what I wrote.  I made it very clear that it's a step progression.  You don't just jump right to a unicum-only clan.  I started as a 50% win rate player.  I joined clans that weren't anywhere near as tight with their requirements as 007 (previously knows as C1TS)(previously known as SOUR)(not sure what it will be called tomorrow, I think our marketing department is drinking too much spiked eggnog), but they were mostly all in the 55% win rate area.  For you, for example, if you wanted to get to a clan like ours eventually, you'd start by looking for a clan with an avg win rate in the 55% area like I did.  It's not that hard, the websites rank clans and show you their win rates.  It's like applying for colleges, start high and work your way down till you get accepted.  Then identify the best among the clan you join and div with them regularly.  Then when you get your win rate up to around 55% or higher, repeat the process with a clan closer to 60%.

You think all the unicum players are just magically gifted?  Tons of us had to get through the learning curve, adapt, and put in the effort to run with better players so we can get better.  What keeps people from putting in the effort to do this?  Lack of social skills which only gets compounded by not working on them (which this strategy helps develop), laziness (lack of initiative and personal drive for self improvement), and fear of rejection which is another toxic thought process this game can help eliminate which is huge for success outside the game.

Edited by VGLance
  • Bad 2

[HEROS]
Members
1,428 posts
12,023 battles

I've a small advantage this season.. No, I take that back I have  a really big advantage this season and that's  having pretty much finished the last supremacy league which was tier 8 with a good bunch of chaps.. we all learned a lot.  I ran the Kagero no smoke all season, and am essentially running a HSF Harekaze with almost an identical set dropping Concealment Expert for IFHE.  So for it's working real well... For me... The GE and PA DD drivers seem to be struggling a bit though they are getting their licks in.  Seeing all of the available IJN and US DD's and they're all apparently performing strongly in the hands of good players. Quite a few players are running no smoke build Kagero's and Harekaze's but not all of 'em by any means.   

Big thing I am seeing is the better shots that move decisively and  intelligently for the better map positions appear to do best.  And better position are not so much the most protected but where they can get the shots out while not being exposed to the entire opposing force.  Though these was this one match everyone stayed in the open focused fired anything that showed itself around an island and kept the outgoing mail happening.. Smoked the other team as the tried to side scrape for shots.. just buried em under fire.  Only lost one ship that round and it was a Chappy that got magazine'd early on while I was "doing the Bun Bun to a well handled but very unlucky Gearing,  poor bugger! My only kill that round but there wasn't much else I didn't get a piece of.

I've been using my no smoke Hare for the most part to keep the off side flank secure and spent several dealing with typically 2-3 ships while the main group works on the rest of em and kiting from just out of detection range and keeping em dodging torp's.  Kept finding myself waiting for the inevitable DD to come try and sniff me out and was never once surprised by one.  Took out at least 1 USS Kidd that way  (And that's why I pack RPF!)  Ambushing the ambushers is the greatest fun of all!

Well see come the end of the season what players performed the best in what ships.   I'm going to bet they'll be a few surprises in the lists!  What ya got counts, how ya use counts more! 

[SALVO]
Members
17,068 posts
17,716 battles
14 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Please re-read what I wrote.  I made it very clear that it's a step progression.  You don't just jump right to a unicum-only clan.  I started as a 50% win rate player.  I joined clans that weren't anywhere near as tight with their requirements as 007 (previously knows as C1TS)(previously known as SOUR)(not sure what it will be called tomorrow, I think our marketing department is drinking too much spiked eggnog), but they were mostly all in the 55% win rate area.  For you, for example, if you wanted to get to a clan like ours eventually, you'd start by looking for a clan with an avg win rate in the 55% area like I did.  It's not that hard, the websites rank clans and show you their win rates.  It's like applying for colleges, start high and work your way down till you get accepted.  Then identify the best among the clan you join and div with them regularly.  Then when you get your win rate up to around 55% or higher, repeat the process with a clan closer to 60%.

You think all the unicum players are just magically gifted?  Tons of us had to get through the learning curve, adapt, and put in the effort to run with better players so we can get better.  You what keeps people from putting in the effort to do this?  Lack of social skills which only gets compounded by not working on them (which this strategy helps develop), laziness (lack of initiative and personal drive for self improvement), and fear of rejection which is another toxic thought process this game can help eliminate which is huge for success outside the game.

Honestly, VGLance, while I don't have the patience to look through the stats of each and every clan, since I've been looking for a new clan recently, I've looked at a number of clans, and some which have good average stats (relatively better than mine, but not massively so) also happen to have some players in them that were I the clan leader, wouldn't have ever accepted.  I mean clans with average WR's around 52-55% with players who have WRs in the low 40's and below.  Exactly the sort of player I would never want to division with.  I can't say that I've seen many if any clans in this range who have memberships that are nearly as WR homogenous as unicum clans.  They just don't seem to exist.  So, if you're a 51% player like me, looking to join a clan where everyone is better than I am, well, you pretty much just described one group of clans ... unicum clans (not that I'm really looking to join one of them, BTW).

Note that I am a very introverted person who tends to prefer not to division, but will do so during prime time clan hours.  But when I do division I want it to be with people who I think will increase my chances of winning, not the reverse.

As for your "lack of social skills" thing, honestly and meaning no insult, I don't believe in "social skills".  I think that you're somewhere on the scale between introvert and extrovert.  It's not at all about "skills".  It's just about who you are.  Like I said, I'm a very introverted person and no amount of talking about "social skills" will change that fact.  I get used to people over time, and in time if I like them well enough, I may open up to them.  But it's not a skill, not by a long shot.  It's just who I am and who I've always been.

EDIT:  Oh and BTW, in regard to you making it clear that it was a step progression, oh really?  Looks clear as mud to me.  I see nothing in what you wrote that even implies it indirectly.

Edited by Crucis

[OO7]
Beta Testers
621 posts
7,025 battles
15 minutes ago, VGLance said:

I joined clans that weren't anywhere near as tight with their requirements as 007 (previously knows as C1TS)(previously known as SOUR)(not sure what it will be called tomorrow, I think our marketing department is drinking too much spiked eggnog), but they were mostly all in the 55% win rate area. 

*Taking too much Percoset while clan members don't show up to the meeting about renaming the clan*

27 minutes ago, Crucis said:

As the leader of his clan, come hang out. We are short on roster spots right now (39/40) and i want to save it for someone who would be a good fit for next ranked season, but i'm sure i speak for most of the people in our community that we would be happy to help you out. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,068 posts
17,716 battles
3 minutes ago, grizzly95 said:

*Taking too much Percoset while clan members don't show up to the meeting about renaming the clan*

As the leader of his clan, come hang out. We are short on roster spots right now (39/40) and i want to save it for someone who would be a good fit for next ranked season, but i'm sure i speak for most of the people in our community that we would be happy to help you out. 

I suspect that you meant the next Clan Battles season, not the next Ranked season (particularly given that we're already in a season of Ranked).