You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kraayt

T8 Ranked a mistake?

41 comments in this topic

[FSA]
Beta Testers
165 posts
5,151 battles

Looks to me like T8 Ranked is a mistake.   Everyone gravitating to BBs, few cruisers, few destroyers.   Cruisers used have radar and hydrophone...destroyers utility is limited...die fast unless they disengage and spectators.   Cruisers eliminated rapidly once the BBs roll.  Even the carriers Ive seen are limited by heavy AA presence.  

Don't get me wrong, there are those in each class that are successful...but generalizing, it appears that this ranked contest is Battle of the Battleships.

• Bad 2

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Not sure what you have been into, but every ranked game I have been in has been decided by the DD's.  First caps..  most caps..  Keep caps.   I started this campaign in my Bis, as a KM BB main player, and ditched that in a hurry.  This is DD land. 

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,228 battles

Out of 9 games in ranked played. 1 game had 4 BBs. 2 games had 1 BB, 2 games had 2 BBs. 4 had 3 BBs. 

Of those games. I've seen a total of 2 carriers (on my team) and a total of 5 cruisers. The rest were all DDs. Twice I've seen 3 BBs and 4 DDs on a side. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,174 posts
18,873 battles

First of all we had T8 ranked a few times before.

Second: it’s most of the time BB‘s and DD‘s 

Third: the higher you move, the more DD’s you will see. Was once called world of Bensons

Forth: if there is a cruiser ingame every DD in your team screams: take him out first

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,782 posts
9,789 battles

First rank game WoWs made t8 ........... now the cycle started at t8 again.

[TBW]
Members
6,395 posts
12,011 battles

Tier 8 was the perfect choice for me. I hate the whole ranked meta but I have 8 tier 8's that I have to grind for the next ship. Ranked gives good credits and XP, especially since its tier 8. I can also get in two or three battles in the time it takes to do 1 random or scenario. It really doesn't matter which ship I use, the win rate is about the same as any other Ranked season. So you will see me out there in all ship types except CV's. At least until I research all of my tier nines that I need to. Then we will see where I am at.

So a down vote eh? Why would I want to play my tier 8's in random with nines and tens all of the time when I can play with my own tier and get to 9 where the MM is only half as bad. I still play to win as a team member and my ships are all upgraded with good captains and at least the Hipper isn't one of the ships I need to advance.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
16 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Not sure what you have been into, but every ranked game I have been in has been decided by the DD's.  First caps..  most caps..  Keep caps.   I started this campaign in my Bis, as a KM BB main player, and ditched that in a hurry.  This is DD land. 

Welllll, most ranked battles I've been in have had roughly this comp:  4 BBs, 1 CA, 2 DDs.

However, I just got out of a battle where the comp was: 2 BBs, 1 CA, 4 DDs.

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
3 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

First rank game WoWs made t8 ........... now the cycle started at t8 again.

Actually, not exactly.  The first ranked season was tiers 5+6 up to around rank 16 or so.  And then above that point is was tiers 7+8.  It really wasn't popular to have those tier pairs, particularly tier 7+8 because the tier 7 DDs were at a SERIOUS disadvantage vs tier 8 DDs due to the existence of the concealment upgrade module.

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
14 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Third: the higher you move, the more DD’s you will see. Was once called world of Bensons

Forth: if there is a cruiser ingame every DD in your team screams: take him out first

There was one season that was pretty much World of Bensons and Bismarcks. 

As for cruisers, sometimes the cry is to take him out first, specifically if it's a radar cruiser.  Otherwise, any desire to nuke the cruiser is just based on him being the softest ship and therefore the easiest kill, thus the easiest way to gain a quick advantage.

Honestly, I think that the only way that we'd start seeing more cruisers in ranked on a consistent basis would be for there to be limits on BBs and DDs.  Something like no more than 2 BBs and perhaps no more than 2-3 DDs.  A big problem cruisers face is when there are 4 BBs out there, it's next to impossible for the cruiser to hide his broadside from all 4 of those BBs.  Add to that, some of the cruisers at tier 8 don't have the longest range cruiser guns.  The Atago (and  Takao), for example.  At tier 8, having only a 15.5 km range (IIRC) doesn't leave you a lot of time to waggle and avoid incoming fire.  Certainly not as much as for cruisers with gun ranges closer to 18+ km.  And at even shorter ranges, forget about it.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,340 posts
14,832 battles

I like T8, one of my favorites with many relatively balanced ships.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,722 posts
8,237 battles

T8 ranked is pretty good IMO. All T8 ship are more or less balanced, even premium aren't too powerfull compared to the regular ship. And my fav ship is in T8 so it's even more enjoyable ,unlike T7 where it was world of Payfast and Sharnhorst.

If it's ranked of BB, it doesn't actually bother me that much. I often play DD so I'm used to it, but even as a cruiser, if you have some map awareness and know who you should target first, you'll be more effective than a BB. Sure you're not as tanky as a BB and you don't have big guns, but if you start fire on someone who used his damage con, you have done your job. 

Members
416 posts

I haven't seen many cruisers in Ranked so far, with only a single New Orleans and no Chapayevs so far. Lots and lots of BBs, though. 

Other than my first Ranked game, in which I proudly sailed out my Akizuki but forgot to hoist a Juliet Charlie flag (hint: immediate detonation), I feel like I've done almost all that I could as a DD. I spotted, I contested caps by shooting the living daylights out of DDs (thank you, IFHE), and I've annoyed BBs as much as I could.  Unfortunately, I'm sitting at a 33% win rate after 6 games, despite averaging 66k in damage. It's tough.

I've made a point to work on Campaigns in Random whenever I start getting frustrated. I'll probably take it out on some bots as well. I won't, however, seal club to make myself feel better, because new players don't deserve to have vengeance wrought upon them just because I'm in a bad mood.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,299 posts
6,540 battles
44 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Pretty much this.

And in an ironic twist of teamwork, everybody listens to the DDs when they say kill the cruiser first.  

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
8,948 battles

Ranked is all about who kills the red DDs the fastest. Right now it's world of USN DD + PA clones. Cruisers are rarer because they have it the roughest and require the most skill. In a non CV game, the skill of the radar cruiser pretty much decides the match.

Members
16,048 posts
14,436 battles

Ranked has always been a BB-DD affair.  WG has used Tier V-VIII for Ranked, but V was an exception, VI-VIII were used a lot more.  You can see the preferred ships for the competitiveness in Ranked with the tiers WG has relied on more.

Tier VI

Spoiler

WJom1ii.jpg

Tier VII

Spoiler

NOS9WKX.jpg

Tier VIII

Spoiler

cU4GefC.jpg

If you like to work harder for every bit of XP in Ranked than anybody else, you play Cruiser in Ranked.  Because in WoWS it becomes very clear what the preferred, best choice ships types are.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,090 posts
12,646 battles

Don't know about you guys, but I'm seeing a lot of matches with 2 and 3 cruisers per side. Then again, I'm playing one, so I suppose the minimum I could see is one per team. And yes, they're almost always Kutuzov, Chapayev, or Atago.

Still, this season is so much better than the last few, owing primarily to the smoke firing visibility change. I'm pretty happy now that it's not World of Smoked Battleships.

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,590 battles

If you want to more cruiser heavy ranked plays, you have to look at T10.

T6-8 will always be dominated by BBs/DDs. Cruisers have very low tolerance for error at those tiers and most players won't be playing them at a consistent level.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,239 posts

Works for me- lots of tier 8's I like, and several I'm grinding so win-win.

Added bonus:  No World of Atlantas; Belfasts and Scharnhorsts.   And like someone else mentioned- you get to play your favorite tier 8's and be top tier every game!!

[FSA]
Beta Testers
165 posts
5,151 battles
9 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Tier 8 was the perfect choice for me. I hate the whole ranked meta but I have 8 tier 8's that I have to grind for the next ship. Ranked gives good credits and XP, especially since its tier 8. I can also get in two or three battles in the time it takes to do 1 random or scenario. It really doesn't matter which ship I use, the win rate is about the same as any other Ranked season. So you will see me out there in all ship types except CV's. At least until I research all of my tier nines that I need to. Then we will see where I am at.

So a down vote eh? Why would I want to play my tier 8's in random with nines and tens all of the time when I can play with my own tier and get to 9 where the MM is only half as bad. I still play to win as a team member and my ships are all upgraded with good captains and at least the Hipper isn't one of the ships I need to advance.

Well, this makes a good bit of sense to me.   I like my T8's, but dislike T8 Ranked due to immediate upranking against T9/T10s where they are at a significant disadvantage.  Yes, its a challenge and can be fun...but depends on a lot of other variables.

The main reason for my post was after being a in number of....difficult...games, it seemed like they were increasingly weighted towards more BBs as players determined the most effective way to get through a ranked match.   Last two matches were 6 BB, 1 CA, 1 DD, and 6 BB, 1 CV, 1 CA.  Both interesting matches...but hardly what you would be expecting.   I was erased quickly by focused fire in the CA both times...even playing reasonably conservative.  Anyway, wasn't so much whining about it as getting a feel for others experiences. 

Good luck, have fun!

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles

Tier 8 doesn’t seem to have very balanced ships. The BBs are okay, but it’s heavily skewed to USN gunboat DDs (which actually makes those DDs less effective, since every fight is basically 2 Bensons).

CAs are even worse off, since only 2 have radar, but they are kinda crappy. They can have a niche spamming HE from long range, but that doesn’t decide battles, it just helps the cruiser player get a high score. 

Tier 6 really seemed to be the most competitive tier, with the largest number of acceptable ships. 

• Cool 1

Members
698 posts
10,480 battles

There are some wide open maps in T8 ranked where I know I don't have long to go in my 15.5 km Atago, without a full coward's retreat. Islands with maps....I can maybe make it 3/4 through the contest. In the wide open maps, no smoke. Within the islands, no radar. Enemy BBs loathe my 10 km torps, so early elimination is a priority for them, since that is my one unique asset. You have to play like a wizard.

Members
2,368 posts
7,654 battles

Ranked battles are always BB and DD heavy. With few cruisers and CVs. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles

What's the lowest Ranked has ever gone? I honestly can't see them going lower than 4, since there are no carriers below that and you want every class to be represented, but there's a part of me that would love to see them do a T2 or T3 ranked season, or even Tier 1, just as a novelty, purely to get the clever tricks off the table and get it back down to who can shoot, spot and torp better.

Members
3,399 posts
8,276 battles
12 hours ago, Kraayt said:

Looks to me like T8 Ranked is a mistake.   Everyone gravitating to BBs, few cruisers, few destroyers.   Cruisers used have radar and hydrophone...destroyers utility is limited...die fast unless they disengage and spectators.   Cruisers eliminated rapidly once the BBs roll.  Even the carriers Ive seen are limited by heavy AA presence.  

Don't get me wrong, there are those in each class that are successful...but generalizing, it appears that this ranked contest is Battle of the Battleships.

My Yolang says hello, what?

Edited by lemekillmister