You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Crucis

Frustration in Ranked

79 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles

Ranked Battles can be so damned frustrating so damned often. 

I can play game after game after game after game in my DDs and have great games at least 80% of the time, constantly ending up at the top of my team in XP, doing everything I can in a DD to help the team.  Capping, engaging enemy DDs, laying smoke and spotting for the team, occasionally getting plenty of torp damage, and an occasional kill of a larger ship.  And yet, far more often than not, I'm ending up with team after team after team of potato BB players. 

Ok, I say, let's try playing BBs instead.  I do pretty well in those too.  (Since I play all types of ships, I'm fairly competent in them all.)  And what do I  get?  Teams with worthless DD players.  Or on occasion, I get a half decent DD player ... in a Kagero ... who can't do squat to stop the enemy Bensons or Lo Yangs or Kidds or Azizukis from torping out BBs into oblivion, because he doesn't have the guns to compete with those DDs.  

Or I get a cruiser player that pretty much didn't speak English (I know because he said so) and goes off on his own like it's a random battle and contributes pretty much nothing.  Heaven forbid that he do something smart when he can't communicate with the team, like following the rest of the team!!!  

It's just soooo frustrating.  I mean, sure, it's nice that I'm not losing much ground.  Of course, currently being at rank 15 doesn't hurt there either.  But it's annoying as all hell to not be able to advance no matter how well I play because there are just so damned many weak players.  And unlike WoT, where a single player really could often carry an entire team, WoWS is a little more team dependent.  It doesn't necessarily require hard core tight knit team work, but it does require most of the team making positive contributions towards getting a win. (At least you need to have more "positive contributors" on your team than there are on the enemy team.) And from what I've seen, there just aren't enough players who are being "positive contributors".

Have I had some bad games?  Yes, but very few compared to the really good ones.  Had one where I took a blind torp in my Kidd, which didn't kill me but left with so few HP that I had to be far too cautious to be effective the rest of the battle.  Have had a couple of BB battles where I managed my armor and HP well, but had some bad luck with some combo of my aim and RNG and didn't get enough damage, etc. for me to feel that I had a good game.  Maybe enough to make a good contribution at a critical moment, but not enough to be a force through out the battle.  But over all, I'd say that at least 2/3rds of the time, if not closer to 80 or 90% of the time, I'm a positive contributor.  But sadly it just doesn't seems to be enough.

I don't know if this qualifies as a true rant.  But I am very frustrated and needed to vent a little.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Just play your game man.  If you are winning more than losing, it sounds like you are doing better than some of us.   This is a frustrating season for sure from what I have heard so far.   Keep your head up and fight the good fight.

[PSP]
Members
6,281 posts
8,912 battles

I have had one really good team, one below average team that somehow managed to secure a win, and four teams that ranked from bad to abysmal. Fortunately, I've been able to reach irrevocable rank 15 and get the 5% cost reduction flag. 

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles

Had a bad run like that yesterday and then things picked up last night and today and I won 4 of 5 to make it to rank 12.

Ranked reminds me of Blackjack.  Lots of treading water and then you get a hot streak that gets you ahead. I think the key is doing well when you lose so you don’t lose stars as often as you win them.  It pays off to stick out the games you get saddled with a weak team to the bitter end...

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles
2 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Just play your game man.  If you are winning more than losing, it sounds like you are doing better than some of us.   This is a frustrating season for sure from what I have heard so far.   Keep your head up and fight the good fight.

The problem is that I'm NOT winning more than I'm losing.  I'm only having many more good, productive games on an individual level than so-so games or stinkers.  That's the real frustration.  To feel like you're actually playing quite well and to get very few positive results (i.e. wins) for all one's efforts.

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles
8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Its ranked man.  If you want to spam 400-600 games to get to rank one so be it.  Myself I go to ten and that's all my patience can handle.  Good luck.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I can play game after game after game after game in my DDs and have great games at least 80% of the time, constantly ending up at the top of my team in XP, doing everything I can in a DD to help the team.  Capping, engaging enemy DDs, laying smoke and spotting for the team, occasionally getting plenty of torp damage, and an occasional kill of a larger ship.  And yet, far more often than not, I'm ending up with team after team after team of potato BB players. 

Ok, I say, let's try playing BBs instead.  I do pretty well in those too.  (Since I play all types of ships, I'm fairly competent in them all.)  And what do I  get?  Teams with worthless DD players.  Or on occasion, I get a half decent DD player ... in a Kagero ... who can't do squat to stop the enemy Bensons or Lo Yangs or Kidds or Azizukis from torping out BBs into oblivion, because he doesn't have the guns to compete with those DDs.  

Or I get a cruiser player that pretty much didn't speak English (I know because he said so) and goes off on his own like it's a random battle and contributes pretty much nothing.  Heaven forbid that he do something smart when he can't communicate with the team, like following the rest of the team!!!  

It's just soooo frustrating.  I mean, sure, it's nice that I'm not losing much ground.  Of course, currently being at rank 15 doesn't hurt there either.  But it's annoying as all hell to not be able to advance no matter how well I play because there are just so damned many weak players.  And unlike WoT, where a single player really could often carry an entire team, WoWS is a little more team dependent.  It doesn't necessarily require hard core tight knit team work, but it does require most of the team making positive contributions towards getting a win. (At least you need to have more "positive contributors" on your team than there are on the enemy team.) And from what I've seen, there just aren't enough players who are being "positive contributors".

Have I had some bad games?  Yes, but very few compared to the really good ones.  Had one where I took a blind torp in my Kidd, which didn't kill me but left with so few HP that I had to be far too cautious to be effective the rest of the battle.  Have had a couple of BB battles where I managed my armor and HP well, but had some bad luck with some combo of my aim and RNG and didn't get enough damage, etc. for me to feel that I had a good game.  Maybe enough to make a good contribution at a critical moment, but not enough to be a force through out the battle.  But over all, I'd say that at least 2/3rds of the time, if not closer to 80 or 90% of the time, I'm a positive contributor.  But sadly it just doesn't seems to be enough.

I don't know if this qualifies as a true rant.  But I am very frustrated and needed to vent a little.

Holy [edited] man- get to the point. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles

I guess that my frustration here is why I wish that Ranked didn't put such a high emphasis on winning and a little more on rewarding good play.  It really stinks to feel like you're playing really well, playing your heart out, only to get next to nothing (in wins) in return for reasons beyond your personal control (otherwise known as team mates).

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles
2 minutes ago, ENO75 said:

Holy [edited] man- get to the point. 

I got to the point in the very first sentence.  The rest of just providing context for the point.  Learn how to write.  Jeez.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[O_S_D]
Members
119 posts
4,198 battles

It took me something like 30 battles to get to rank 10 last season, and almost 100 battles from there to get to rank 9. While that's more a sign of my own mediocrity than anything anyone else was doing, I reached the point of diminishing returns so fast that it just got unbelievably annoying and I've kinda lost my taste for the gameplay.. 

Still, I'll probably open a bottle of bourbon tomorrow and give a whirl... 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

The problem is that I'm NOT winning more than I'm losing.  I'm only having many more good, productive games on an individual level than so-so games or stinkers.  That's the real frustration.  To feel like you're actually playing quite well and to get very few positive results (i.e. wins) for all one's efforts.

Then you and I are in the same boat.  I routinely rank at the top of my team..and more losses than wins.  The wins I do get I carry.  And I am no unicum player.  I feel your pain.  This rank season sucks. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles
4 minutes ago, knice_destroyer said:

Its ranked man.  If you want to spam 400-600 games to get to rank one so be it.  Myself I go to ten and that's all my patience can handle.  Good luck.

Knice, I'm not really worried about getting to rank 1.  I've never ended a season higher than rank 9 or 10.  Right now, I'd be mildly content to even manage to win half my games.  God, if I could manage that, I'd probably already be halfway to rank 10 by now, given all the no-stars-lost losses I have.

[OPEC]
Members
946 posts
5,108 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I guess that my frustration here is why I wish that Ranked didn't put such a high emphasis on winning and a little more on rewarding good play.  It really stinks to feel like you're playing really well, playing your heart out, only to get next to nothing (in wins) in return for reasons beyond your personal control (otherwise known as team mates).

I’m grinding out lots of silver and elite captain xp, even in my losses (and in a lot less time than PVP).  So there is that...

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Heck boys..  Go easy on Crucis.  He is just seeing what we all are.  This season is full of taters.  I think that has been widely discussed. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles
2 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Then you and I are in the same boat.  I routinely rank at the top of my team..and more losses than wins.  The wins I do get I carry.  And I am no unicum player.  I feel your pain.  This rank season sucks. 

Well, o7 to someone who's in the same ... "bote" :Smile_honoring: as me.

Like I said, I wish that the star system in ranked placed a little more emphasis on rewarding playing well than winning.  I know that that may sound odd or selfish or something.  But isn't Ranked play supposed to be about individual achievement?  Except winning battles is NOT an individual achievement.  It requires the efforts of a goodly portion of your team to get a win, whereas playing well on an individual basis is mostly under your personal control.

Sigh.  

Oh well, back to the salt mines known as Ranked Battles.  

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,191 battles

This is the way i'm going about dealing with Ranked this season. Might help you as well

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles
3 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Heck boys..  Go easy on Crucis.  He is just seeing what we all are.  This season is full of taters.  I think that has been widely discussed. 

To be fair, I haven't taken any of the comments thus far as being hard on me.

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I got to the point in the very first sentence.  The rest of just providing context for the point.  Learn how to write.  Jeez.

0 [edited] given. Rambling post is rambling. 

• Bad 4

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles
11 minutes ago, ENO75 said:

0 [edited] given. Rambling post is rambling. 

It wasn't rambling.  You obviously don't know how to write in a good presentable fashion.  I wrote an opening statement making my point, followed by a few paragraphs providing context and examples, ending with a simple closing statement.  In short, a WELL WRITTEN post.  Clearly, YOUR idea of a good post is something akin to a quick, dirty, smelly fart.

• Cool 1

Members
416 posts

As others have said, the best you can do is play your heart out. How good the rest of your team plays is out of your control, so as long as you are playing smart you at least won't lose stars. Unfortunately, not losing stars is not the same as gaining a star, and that is super frustrating.

I've seen comments in other posts suggesting to wait a couple of days before really getting into Ranked play, but other posts that say to strike while the iron is hot so that you don't wind up with potato players later. It's a tough call. I've only played a few games and already feel a little bit stressed. I even had a game that ended in a tie! 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,070 posts
17,737 battles
2 minutes ago, knice_destroyer said:

@Crucis  Not being hard on ya man lol.  I'm in the same boat as well just stating the fact that ranked is ranked it is what it is.

I know you weren't, because I pretty much agreed with exactly what you said.  I'll play as long as my patience permits.  I'd like to make it up to rank 10 or 9.  Hey, I'd love to rank out, but doubt I have the hardcore patience required.

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

I know you weren't, because I pretty much agreed with exactly what you said.  I'll play as long as my patience permits.  I'd like to make it up to rank 10 or 9.  Hey, I'd love to rank out, but doubt I have the hardcore patience required.

Yeah man I might if the reward at rank 1 was a tier 10 Russian battleship.  Imagine a Nikolai at tier 10. :cap_haloween:  Anyway maybe I will see you out there in ranked, with us both getting more grey hairs each match we play lol. :)

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,365 battles

I'm right here with you man. Together, we can bring down MM that is the ultimate cause behind our suffering. We, the players, must unite against WG putting in a bias against us in the MM!