You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

How do you handle the straggler...

5 comments in this topic

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Honest question- but it's come back to bite me a few times and I don't know the better strategy...

In this scenario a red NC (#1)  got pushed away from cap and a few of us were chasing him while whittling him down with HE / Fires. We were within range of cap- but on the other side of islands from the rest of the red force. We were about even strength, maybe one up. He started getting out of range- someone called us back to cap and before we could finish him off he was out of range. Things in cap were... contested- so 3 of us chasing... probably shouldn't have done that. Issue is we were two cruisers and a low health DD... Cruisers are tough since he can one shot us if he's lucky- while the DD was more useful in the cap areas. So none of us followed him. Maybe we should have?

Anyway, we turned back to cap and it turned into quite  a bar brawl... ended up pulling in a high caliber which in a cruiser in ranked takes some good fortune- nose to nose with an NC (NC #2) but got some torps into him (from 4 km) after a fist fight with a kutuzov- but as I was pulling past the now dead NC into the AB cap of course mister unfinished business came waltzing back in with a boatload of health left and finished off me (who was at very low health) and the Bismark- who was on a single pixel worth of health. 

So- to those of you who know what you're doing... How long do you chase the straggler? At what point to you walk away from him? 

Thanks. 

[MIA-A]
Members
2,115 posts
6,769 battles

You chase as long as it does not mean giving up objectives.

Objectives:

• Securing kills
  • Map control 
    • Spotting and awareness of enemy locations is part of this
  • Cap control
  • Permanent damage (ie a fire a BB repairs is much worse than damage to a destroyer)

Those four are what wins games. Normally, chasing results in worse map control and potentially worse cap control. It might secure a kill eventually. If you can "chase" while keeping the other objectives?

[PSP]
Members
6,290 posts
8,915 battles

Red herring and delaying tactics have been a part of warfare since people have been fighting, which has been long before they even considered themselves "people."

If I can remove two or three ships from the fight by getting them to chase me, or stay and fight me while my team moves on, then I've more than done my job to support the team. Even if I finally am sunk and the warships I've delayed eventually join the main fight, they will usually return only to see that the clock has run out and we have won.

Personally, I chase a ship only long enough to chase it out of range of my teammates. The only exception being a DD that could sneak back in and do a lot of damage. I myself love to keep my DD lurking around undetected while the enemy team wonders why we can see them all the time but they can't see us. 

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

As has been stated by others - by running off he's reducing his team's list of resources by 1 ship, but reducing your team's list by 3.

Once the enemy ship has removed itself from firing range, it is of no benefit to its team (same effect as if it had died). Yes, it could come back to fight again later, and maybe with more hp than last seen... but the whole time it is off healing, it is of no use to its team. If you chase it, then you are equally of no use to your team, worse if it is multiple ships chasing that one.

Also, look at it this way. As with most games, you don't just think of the current move, you think several moves ahead. In pool/billiards you don't just look at what ball to hit, but what ball to hit so that your cue lands in position for your next shot. In chess you're thinking several moves ahead. Same with WoWs. You're not just thinking of getting THIS kill, but as soon as this kill is finished you need to be in position to affect the next kill. If the first kill took you 5 minutes farther away, then that's another 5 minutes traveling back for a total time out of position of 10 minutes. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Sounds like you did it right.  The only thing I could add would be that maybe the most able ship followed to take him out.   I think we all have been done in by "that guy" that was too far out of reach to bother with, but still was in the game enough o be a pain in the [edited].  Certainly you were right to not have all your guys chase up after him.  After that..  hard to say.  I see no "wrong" in anything you guys did.