You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kraayt

Ranked AFK's?

11 comments in this topic

[FSA]
Beta Testers
167 posts
5,202 battles

Five out of Six games had afks.   Are these wannabe leeches or indicator of some other problem?

[PSP]
Members
6,330 posts
8,954 battles

Every single ranked game I've played thus far has had afks. Fortunately, the last game I played had them on the opposite team. I really don't know what the problem is here. I have some speculations though.

• There's something about the Ranked matchmaker that makes the loading process long for some.
  • Over the holiday season people queue up and then are called to do something else.
  •  It is a "strategy" where they hope to move through the ranks without actually having to play
  • With the above, they are programming bots to run their ships through the ranks in order to collect the rewards without actually playing.
  • With family home for the holidays the home networks are taxed with too many devices on the router.
  • Half the ranked players are just idiots.
  • Something is causing game crashes.

Edit: added the last speculation as several here mentioned it. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,594 posts
25,749 battles

Good analysis, Snargle. So far AFKs haven't been a problem for me. Just suffering from the old "I'm playing DD because my DDs have sucked, then I am playing BB because our BBs suck, so I switch to BB, but then the DDs suck". Ranked is hell.

Edited by Taichunger

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,192 posts
18,932 battles

Would check their turrets. They are only AFK if they moved. Unfortunately the last patch brought some problems. My game crashed 3 times while I load into matches. Because of a SSD I was back ingame in about a minute. But the amount of AFK is a bit too high this time, would say one out of three matches. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,594 posts
25,749 battles
16 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Would check their turrets. They are only AFK if they moved. Unfortunately the last patch brought some problems. My game crashed 3 times while I load into matches. Because of a SSD I was back ingame in about a minute. But the amount of AFK is a bit too high this time, would say one out of three matches. 

Yes, I have been getting tons of crashes at load in. 

[KSC]
Beta Testers
39 posts
8,731 battles

For those wondering, AFKs and bots are why the last irrevocable rank is 12. It's possible to AFK your way to rank 12, but you'll basically never see them at rank 10 and up since they get kicked back out. 

[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,059 battles
51 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:
  •  It is a "strategy" where they hope to move through the ranks without actually having to play
  • With the above, they are programming bots to run their ships through the ranks in order to collect the rewards without actually playing.

It's these two that really suck, the rest I can live with.

[P2W]
Members
720 posts

Most likely a good bit are game crashes at load in for the last 2 updates I have seen them more as to where I didn't experience them before. And it usually does it on my dd's especially my gearing.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,873 posts
11,596 battles

My first ranked match I crashed 2x and I have been experiencing slow load-ins.

This patch had some issue for sure.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,119 posts
17,794 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Good analysis, Snargle. So far AFKs haven't been a problem for me. Just suffering from the old "I'm playing DD because my DDs have sucked, then I am playing BB because our BBs suck, so I switch to BB, but then the DDs suck". Ranked is hell.

Tai, I think that it's a little unfair to rag on people for having that "I'm playing DD because my DDs have sucked, then I am playing BB because our BBs suck, so I switch to BB, but then the DDs suck" attitude.  I've been doing some of exactly that.  I will switch between BBs and  DDs, and have good games, games good enough to lead the team in base XP, in both and still have difficulty getting actual wins,  because my teams are just plain terrible.

Seriously.  I had a Ranked battle tonight on Hotspot where there was this guy in a Chapeyev completely ignored the plan the team agreed to.  We were at the south spawn on Hotspot, and agreed to have 1 DD cap B while the rest were going to  go west and wrap around to A.  Good enough plan, straight out of clan battles.  The problem was that the Chappy player completely ignored the plan and headed towards C cap.  And ya know why?  Turns out he couldn't speak English, for crying out loud!!!!!  For god sakes, if you can't read/write English on a primarily English speaking server, then what you should do is DIRT SIMPLE!!!  Follow the rest of the team!!!  No one will ever (or a t least should ever) complain if you can't speak the language so you decide to just follow the team in a Ranked battle.  But no, this guy went off on his own, and contributed nothing.

This was typical of my teams.  Play a DD and do everything right, end up with a team of bad BB players.  Play a BB and do everything right there, including doing lots and lots of damage, and end up with some terrible DD players.  This is why some people will try switching ship types.  They're hoping to eventually end up fixing a deficiency they're seeing while also hoping that they end up getting lucky enough to end up with some competent players in the ship type they just left.