You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
silenteagle115

Chapayev strategy

9 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
6,662 posts
25,728 battles

Don't play a cruiser in Ranked. Simple.

Squishy cruiser in Ranked closed quarters - not a good recipe. I like Chapayev, yet I would not play mine in Ranked.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,605 posts
5,174 battles
48 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Don't play a cruiser in Ranked. Simple.

Squishy cruiser in Ranked closed quarters - not a good recipe. I like Chapayev, yet I would not play mine in Ranked.

yes. CA/CL main, and I won't be taking a cruiser into ranked again. they melt in short order once spotted.

have seen some good players in the game in cruisers, and the battle results have not been kind to them.

Members
56 posts
7,005 battles

7 minutes ago, not_acceptable said:

yes. CA/CL main, and I won't be taking a cruiser into ranked again. they melt in short order once spotted.

have seen some good players in the game in cruisers, and the battle results have not been kind to them.

Which cruiser did you use?

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,050 battles

The best way to play the Chapayev in ranked, is to get enough XP to Sell that garbage scow and get the next ship.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles

There are essentially 2 ways to play cruisers in ranked.

1.  If you're playing a cruiser with radar, find some sizeable island near the cap (big enough to completely protect your ship) and hide behind it, and use your radar to spot enemy DD's when necessary.

or

2. If you're in a cruiser with really long ranged guns, kite enemy BBs at long range, trying to set on fire, then moving to the next and the next, trying to do as much fire damage to all enemy BBs as possible to support your own team's BBs.  of course, you'll only contribute decently when using this tactic if you can actually get lots of hits.  If your personal accuracy at long range in cruisers isn't all that good, you're probably better off in something else.

Personally, I think that cruisers can be played in Ranked, but they're a serious challenge probably best left to really good cruiser players.  The average potato in a cruiser is just a free kill and easy XP for the enemy team.

[INTEL]
Members
6,662 posts
25,728 battles
1 hour ago, ImpalaCustom said:

Which cruiser did you use?

None. No cruiser in Ranked. Makes no sense to me.

BBs/DDs - so far I played Tirpitz. Plan to bring Kidd/Lo Yang/Kagero  and maybe Akizuki at some point when I get tired of Tirpitz.

Might consider NC but at close ranges it wont work and Ranked gets close and personal fast.

I like cruisers and have many (including Chapayev which contrary to perceptions is still a good ship). Not for Ranked.

[PAT]
Members
9 posts
5,754 battles

So far the Chapayev is working very well for me in ranked. I'd say a good build is essential to make it work, though.

For upgrades, take Main Battery Mod 1, Surveillance Radar Mod 1 OR Defensive AA Fire Mod 1 OR Steering Gears Mod 1, AA Guns Mod 2, Propulsion Mod 2, and Concealment System Mod 1.

For captain skills take PT, AR, DE, CE, IFHE, AFT, and PM.

As for playstyle:

• Start the match by supporting DDs at the caps.
    • Use cover and concealment to push to an island that allows you to radar as many caps as possible; for most maps, this will be both caps.
    • If enemy DDs have not already been spotted, announce you will radar and radar. Do this even if you yourself might not have a clear shot.
  • As the game progresses, maneuver to stay undetected or at least in cover at all times.
    • Hump islands close to the caps.
    • Do not get greedy for damage. Your primary goal is to stay alive and conserve your health pool until you see an opportunity to make a play.
    • If caught in the open, stop firing and use your concealment to get under cover. Angle against incoming BB AP; showing broadside will get you killed.
    • Focus fire and use Def AA on spotter planes. In addition to helping you stay undetected yourself, this is good team play.
    • Continue to use radar to put pressure on the enemy.
  • In the late game or if your team is on the ropes, use the HP you have been conserving to make more daring plays.
    • Rush down DDs with your radar.
    • Yolo BBs with torps and 10k AP volleys.
    • Kite in the open to draw fire from your teammates.

If you are doing things right, you should frequently be able to farm damage from total concealment. Use your raw DPM and fires to put pressure on enemy BBs. Punish broadside cruisers with AP. Snipe DDs with your railguns. This is standard cruiser gameplay, but it is in fact easier to do in ranked because there are fewer ships on the map.