Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
vikingno2

Ranked Battles

20 comments in this topic

[ES]
Members
166 posts
14,075 battles

If you don't want to try as a team don't play ranked. [edited] Battleship sniping loses every time

• Bad 3

[-TAB-]
Members
1,611 posts
5,180 battles
1 minute ago, vikingno2 said:

If you don't want to try as a team don't play ranked. [edited] Battleship sniping loses every time

no, it doesn't. 

[SF-3]
Members
1,536 posts
8,148 battles
1 hour ago, not_acceptable said:

no, it doesn't. 

I agree, not every time, It hurts. What loses you the game most of the time is getting down on DD's. You know the ones, they rush the cap, eat a random torp and die. BB's are good a tanking and wrecking CL/CA's, which you will see about 1 per match. The DD's are the ones that carry the game. If you lose DD's its very hard to come back from that.

• Cool 1

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
564 posts
5,215 battles
1 hour ago, vikingno2 said:

You understand that there is an appropriate time to sit and shoot long range shots and then be aggressive right?

• Cool 1

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,768 battles

There's a laundry list of things that could be (and most likely have been) posted on what not to do in ranked battles.

[TMS]
Members
1,741 posts
22,088 battles

Most of the player base don't even know how to play Random so of course they are going to be worse in Ranked.

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
2 hours ago, vikingno2 said:

This is a very vague remark on many levels.   Yes, you should play as a team.  Playing on a team means many things..and differs from game to game.

This my 2 cents worth on Ranked battles, and I am sure I have change coming.

First and foremost.  You have to get the upper hand early.  If you can force the other team to have to take chances and earn their win back from you, you are in a better spot to take them out as they try.  If you are the one having to take the chances to get back into the game.  You might as well hang it up as most times you already have lost.   Get the high ground early.  Force the other team to fight from a less than optimal position.  Key number 1.

With the 7:7 format, it is KEY that each ship class does what their specified rolls are.  Forget what you do in Random.  DD's gotta bust out and get the caps (see above) and be the eyes for the team.  Cruisers have to be in positions to take out the DD's as soon as they are spotted.  BB's gotta do what BB's gotta do..  and that is bring the pain.   DD's and BB's can control zones.  Cruisers have to take out the threats as they come.   Know your ship's roll..and play it.  Key number 2.

Don't worry about what your team is doing..  If they are potatoville, it is ok.   This is 7:7.  Settle in, pick a good spot, and run your game.   There is a lot of time in ranked and a crafty player can turn the tides.   Do your job first..  and their job next.  Key number 3.

And the last thing..  Have fun.  Key number 4. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
11 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

Most of the player base don't even know how to play Random so of course they are going to be worse in Ranked.

Random and ranked are 2 completely different beasts.  One has no correlation to the other.   I would argue that there are some very successful random players out there that would fail hard in rank...based on different milestones for success.  Rank is win or go home.  No one cares about your damage. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles
6 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

There are potatoes in all classes in all modes.

Pretty much.

Sniping BBs deprive the frontline ships of much needed firepower, staying power that forces the reds to respect them.  Or YOLO BBs being the first to die (seriously, just saw a Tirpitz be the first to die before a New Orleans and any other ship in the match).

When your DDs are hiding behind the BBs, "Houston, there is a problem."  Or worse, your DDs die early.

You got a Radar Cruiser that doesn't know how to leverage their Radar in the anti-DD fight, despite the presence of island cover...

You got a Potato CV and the reds got a Unicum CV.  BOHICA.

Etc.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ES]
Members
166 posts
14,075 battles

Ok yes is was vague about sniping.  Over half the game I play where there are NCs on the team it seems that they want to stay 20km away. At that range the flight time of the shell is too long plus the reaction to for the target is too long.  In ranked I hope that more BB players stay closer so there firepower and cover there team more which 7 ships you can't afford to just get a participation trophy.

[T8ERS]
Members
40 posts
8,717 battles
On 12/23/2017 at 3:22 PM, Final8ty said:

Accepting this simple truth is the first step in keeping your sanity while playing ranked.

Members
2,297 posts
4,143 battles
1 hour ago, vikingno2 said:

Ok yes is was vague about sniping.  Over half the game I play where there are NCs on the team it seems that they want to stay 20km away. At that range the flight time of the shell is too long plus the reaction to for the target is too long.  In ranked I hope that more BB players stay closer so there firepower and cover there team more which 7 ships you can't afford to just get a participation trophy.

I am aggressive to a fault and slow it down in ranked to Just "aggressive".  I can tell as a matter of fact that more often than not those up front BBs get focused and abandoned by the team.

In those rare beautiful times the team aids you are great. To me totally worth the other 8-9 games you get abandoned. In this ranked season the camping/cowardly play has even forced me (who believes that teams who abandon their pushing BBs deserves to lose) to play it more "smart". And play further back than I otherwise would.

Members
1,308 posts
21,118 battles

Please. If you don't support a plan than say so at the start.  Don't let half the team play Don Quixote expecting support and you just do something else.

Nut up and voice your disagreement.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

The ranked format arguably disincentivizes team play.  The highest xp scorer on the losing team doesn't lose a star.  Therefore, as soon as it looks like the game is going south, it's best to abandon your teammates and hope they all die as quickly as possible so you can farm up enough damage to keep your star.  I think a lot of people play using this strategy.  It's part of what makes ranked so unenjoyable.

Similar incentives to hope your teammates do poorly do not exist in other game modes.

Edited by Vaidency

[TMS]
Members
1,741 posts
22,088 battles
On 23/12/2017 at 10:38 PM, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Random and ranked are 2 completely different beasts.  One has no correlation to the other.   I would argue that there are some very successful random players out there that would fail hard in rank...based on different milestones for success.  Rank is win or go home.  No one cares about your damage. 

You have just proved my point unless you think there are some players who are bad in Random but are really good in ranked, highly unlikely.

The fact that there maybe good random players who are not very good in ranked does  not change the fact that most bad players in random will be no good in Ranked like i said.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 12:54 PM, Final8ty said:

You have just proved my point unless you think there are some players who are bad in Random but are really good in ranked, highly unlikely.

The fact that there maybe good random players who are not very good in ranked does  not change the fact that most bad players in random will be no good in Ranked like i said.

Not sure if I proved your point.  My point was that the general random game damage farmer is generally a detriment to good ranked play.  Win rates stats in random mean nothing in rank.  What is your definition of a "bad random player"?  One that has a lower than 50% win rate?  I would argue that one could be a good random player, but maybe just not a good win rate player..and might be that way because they play their ship as designed.  In random, one might be considered "bad".  IN ranked they would be good because you need to play your class the way it needs to run.

[TMS]
Members
1,741 posts
22,088 battles
On 30/12/2017 at 9:40 PM, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Not sure if I proved your point.  My point was that the general random game damage farmer is generally a detriment to good ranked play.  Win rates stats in random mean nothing in rank.  What is your definition of a "bad random player"?  One that has a lower than 50% win rate?  I would argue that one could be a good random player, but maybe just not a good win rate player..and might be that way because they play their ship as designed.  In random, one might be considered "bad".  IN ranked they would be good because you need to play your class the way it needs to run.

Still my point stands because most players play there's ships in same way in random as in ranked, ,they don't know how to play there ship in random or in ranked.

It's not as if they have been playing there ship ranked style in random battles for most of the year so are not doing as good in random as they could be, then ranked battle season starts and they fly through it.

Ranked requires far more cohesion and if most players are capable of that we would see it all ready in random which we don't, it's not a limited resource so they were saving it for ranked.

The damage farmers are still a detriment in ranked, ships need to be killed, caps need to be taken even more so in ranked and the damage farmers at the back are not capping, even flamu yesterday was saying the same, the other near full HP alabama just sitting back watching  flamu get focused and die and then only pushing in afterwards, which you see in random as well.

With the keep your star to the top loser it encourages more far range farming and rushing in at the end when it's clear its a loss to get as much damage done as possible, gets secondarys going, get some torp hits and a ram if lucky, sure to keep the star.

Edited by Final8ty

[TMS]
Members
1,741 posts
22,088 battles

Yep first ranked game for me today and the BBs and cruiser just sit at spawn until all of us DDs on the team are dead then they rush out and push at the last moment, but we were 2 caps down all game so it was way to late.

unknown.png

Untitled.png

Edited by Final8ty

Sign in to follow this