You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

So who else remembers this?

29 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
19,289 posts
12,830 battles

I got to reminiscing about the 'good old days' of MS-DOS, manual memory management, hi-mem, setting up your own sound cards with IRQ, DMA and address, setting jumpers on physical boards, etc and I remembered this ....

Ah, the good old days. You youths nowadays have it simple with your steam downloads and auto installs and cloud storage! *shakes walking stick at*

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[_-X-_]
[_-X-_]
Members
152 posts
5,930 battles

Ah, the joys of MS-DOS, memory and IRQ's...  Oh and, that feeling of magic from installing and witnessing the first Soundblaster and 3dfx graphics card.

Good stuff...  Damn, I still have my historical, antiquated inventory of all my cards, 300 baud modems, etc. and manuals.

[SYN]
Members
14,471 posts
10,488 battles

I remember the really bad drivers from creative that crashed often and where you were better off using software sound.

[_ARP_]
Supertester
11,944 posts
3,937 battles

Nope. 1st PC we had was Windows '98 or XP and that was only for school stuff. I think the computer lab at my elementary school had DOS for one year before getting Windows 95.

Edited by Goose21891

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,727 posts
9,120 battles
3 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

Nope. 1st PC we had was Windows '98 or XP and that was only for school stuff.

You still had to deal with DOS, it wasn't until Windows XP that you didn't have to deal with DOS.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,589 posts

Heeheeheeheh, the good ol' days, when I didn't have to worry about taxes or rent, just the latest flavour of Dunkaroos and collecting Pokemon cards

[HINON]
Supertester
19,289 posts
12,830 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You still had to deal with DOS, it wasn't until Windows XP that you didn't have to deal with DOS.

Exactly. Windows 95 was a graphical shell over a DOS version. Remember that 'It's now safe to turn off your computer' screen when shutting down Windows 95? That was shown over a black DOS prompt on a black screen. You could literally start typing DOS commands and it'd work.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,289 posts
12,830 battles
3 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

MSconfig was one of my best friends.

Preach.

[-MOS-]
Alpha Tester
431 posts
2,669 battles

Yeah, things sure have improved. My family's first computer was a Windows ME/Pentium III. 
So I can only go as far back as 20 years ago, and haven't really dealt with your stuff but woo.
zonechat.jpg

[POP]
Members
1,236 posts
8,354 battles

Oh, the constant problems caused by EXPANDED memory vs. EXTENDED memory. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,289 posts
12,830 battles
7 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

Oh, the constant problems caused by EXPANDED memory vs. EXTENDED memory.

If I remember correctly extended memory is between 640k and 1024k, and expanded memory is everything above 1024k, right? The trick was to put as much as possible between 640k and 1024k.

780 posts
4,480 battles

I still have a book with all of the ms dos command lines

780 posts
4,480 battles

oh and self-destruct was a real fun line to type in 

[77ARC]
Beta Testers
190 posts

Used to program eprom chips with a modified bios for the original IBM PC so it could run a hard drive.

Made a modified bios for XT's that put "Stolen from "owner name"" on the screen at post.

Fun times.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,611 posts
5,190 battles

when we finally moved up to a 486 DX with 'TURBO' that would process at a whopping 512 mb, we thought it just can't get any faster than this. 

then, somebody figured out how to install a larger 'RAM' chip, which offered amazing speed, and if the processes were small enuff, could run 2 (TWO) at the same time without freezing the computer.

we were one of the first on the block to get a computer with a (ready for this.... wait for it....) 1 gig hard drive.

dial up internet. dedicated phone line, because people would drive all the way over to your house if the phone was busy for more than 2 hours. while you downloaded one photo.

AOL Tahiti Beta Testing. 'welcome'  'you've got mail!' a VOICE talking to you, ONLINE. we had to get a speaker for that.

color CRT monitor, 14"    yes, fourteen inch!! my brother got one of the first flat screen CRT monitors, a whopping huge 15"

HEL(control)424/CTF/enter  fortran or basic? cobol?? 

Edited by not_acceptable

[5IN]
Members
1,793 posts
8,159 battles

My first real computer (not counting my Commodore) was a 386SX33 with 2MB and a 40MB HDD..  ahh the memories.  I think I still have the motherboard somewhere.

B

Alpha Tester
1,586 posts
883 battles

Oh god, now you got me thinking of 14.4k modems and how a 56k was lightening fast. Or how a floppy disk use to really be floppy.

0oG6bh9.jpg

[POP]
Members
1,236 posts
8,354 battles

I had many, but the one I remember most was a 386-40Mhz. Quad turbo. I remember it because it was almost too fast to play Perfect General on. And, I had to develop a start command that included the right amount of Expanded and extended memory. 

Then my wife, one winter, touched the screen and an arc jumped from her finger, to the screen, and into the PC. How I don't know. But it crashed immediately and when it booted back (and from then on) it was a 386-10Mhz. She had blown out the turbo chip or part of the CPU. 

Good times. 

Anyone else remember having to park the heads on an HDD before turning the computer off?

[HINON]
Supertester
19,289 posts
12,830 battles
11 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

My first real computer (not counting my Commodore) was a 386SX33 with 2MB and a 40MB HDD..  ahh the memories.  I think I still have the motherboard somewhere.

Our family's first was a 4 mhz 8088 with 20mg HDD. Yes, it was the luxury model.

My own first computer was a 486 DX/2 66. I built that thing myself. It had a 15" CRT, 800x600. Good times.

[POP]
Members
1,236 posts
8,354 battles
14 minutes ago, Lert said:

Our family's first was a 4 mhz 8088 with 20mg HDD. Yes, it was the luxury model.

My own first computer was a 486 DX/2 66. I built that thing myself. It had a 15" CRT, 800x600. Good times.

SVGA baby!

I remember when the first person on our block got a 4-color computer. That was amazing. 

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,984 posts
9,947 battles

I never had a computer of my own before 2001 . Played on a Commodore 64 as the first gaming type PC for other games then chess . Played chess on a mini-computer that took up most of a room the size of my bedroom (there was a slightly smaller one in the room also) with a dedicated 'smart terminal' that was mostly for visual effects at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago . I learned about programming first in High School using a language called (is I remember correctly) Stop - Sap .  

Members
2,515 posts
5,500 battles

My first PC was a orig IBM PC with 16K Ram, one floppy drive (320k) and CGA card running IBM DOS 1.01 

First running program? Microsoft Flight Simulator version 1

Later on my IBM PC became my BBS system running RBBS then TBBS with 6 phone lines and I became a SYSOP

in the Los Angeles area accessing my digital artwork using a MAC II..Sure was some heady days of technology.

flight1.jpg

Edited by dionkraft