Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SansPeur

This Ranked Season will be Long

16 comments in this topic

[-HON-]
Beta Testers
376 posts
9,551 battles

Take note of the time I was in battle, the damage I did, actual spotted damage  vs potential damage, the green blobs on the minimap (that square in the bottom right for those that don't know) and the ranking.

5a3e872edd41b_ranked2.thumb.jpg.984c97019e704125872c36f8fcc95193.jpg

At least I didn't lose a star.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,191 battles

My first few games went really well. Had a couple losses but I placed top. All in all, I've yet to lose a star. 
Says that and has a losing streak

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
564 posts
5,215 battles

The games will be longer than previous when it started at tier 6 or 7 for ranked. This is simply because at this tier a lot more damage can be done very quickly. One mistake can blow an entire game in some cases. That and I have found that most, not all, players tend to be very passive and don't want to get close at tier 8.

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
756 posts
6,974 battles

Tried one battle in the Lo Yang yesterday and had a similar game. I spotted most of the team and barely managed 20k spotting damage. Every time I lit up an enemy DD, nothing was fired at them, yet I took massive hits. Our BB's sat at max range and most of them were completely broadside to the enemy and were obliterated.

I don't know if I have the stomach to try another battle....

• Cool 1

[FART]
Members
100 posts
4,734 battles

My problem thus far isn't so much potatoes or sniping BBs, but the prevalence of AFK players in battles -- 5 ranked battles so far, had a total of 6 AFKs on my teams over the course of them. I mean, sure, sometimes you'll get disconnected, etc...but that many? REALLY makes me wonder and sours me a bit towards ranked. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,400 battles

My problem is I'm at my daughters house for Christmas . between participating in the festivities and the horrendous internet my start has not been well. Sucks because I left my air card at the office. Tuesday should be a good day for me when I get home.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,400 battles
1 minute ago, HTSMetal said:

My problem thus far isn't so much potatoes or sniping BBs, but the prevalence of AFK players in battles -- 5 ranked battles so far, had a total of 6 AFKs on my teams over the course of them. I mean, sure, sometimes you'll get disconnected, etc...but that many? REALLY makes me wonder and sours me a bit towards ranked. 

I've been dropped 5 times. twice in one game. don't think they are leaving on purpose.

[FART]
Members
100 posts
4,734 battles
Just now, Ghostdog1355 said:

I've been dropped 5 times. twice in one game. don't think they are leaving on purpose.

I try not to think the worst of people. But like anyone occasionally I wonder if someone is trying to help throw a game for someone on the opposite side.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,432 posts

Jumped in 2minutes after day 2 started. Played day with a few breaks for lunch and some errands. As of 4pm, 18 matches for 3 wins. Yes, 3:18. I was almost always top half of team and quite often in top 3. There were a couple matches I got nuked early or made a really dumb mid game mistake and was killed off. Teams were absolutely horrible. Even had a match where a player admitted in chat that they were new to game and only had 3 games under belt!!! In a tier 8 premium!!! In ranked!!!

No matter how I look at it though, 3:18 has to be an anomaly.  I went from rank 21 to 9 last season before plateauing with hopeless teams. I feared I would be stuck at 16 this year. I played on through the night and was finally able to enjoy 50 percent win rate for the hours played after 4pm. I did adjust my play style a bit and settled on what my go-to boat will be. I think a lot of the credit must go to the players who got online after work hours. I feel decent teams can be carried by excellent players ( not me). I think decent teams always have a chance. I recognize now that there is nothing a decent player can do to win on a horrible team.

Other observations from my first day this season. Salt is real. Admirals are everywhere. Stat shamers from WOT are increasing. Cruiser mains at having a real tough time. Dd’s Seem to rule. BB’s seem to be along for the ride.

[-SD-]
Members
37 posts
2,271 battles

Played 5 yesterday and lost all of them, despite being top dog in 3 of them.  As I've said in another thread...this "ranked" crap is a joke and has no bearing on abilities, its all luck of the draw, just like pub

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,608 battles
27 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

I try not to think the worst of people. But like anyone occasionally I wonder if someone is trying to help throw a game for someone on the opposite side.

yes that is WG for ya whatever you do don't play with a chat ban or pink lool then you will have multiple afk players on your team at least you wont lose a star but man obvious rigged matches

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,128 posts
14,535 battles

Ranked:

:Smile_glasses:

If you think Randoms can get salty a.f., you haven't played Ranked.  It's even worse.  Every match is filled with salt as people lose their stars and ranks.

That said, whichever team supports and concentrates DDs the best, wins.  Your fancy BB means nothing if Benson, Lo Yang, Kagero, Hsienyang, etc. are roaming freely to torp the s--t out of you.  Because Cruisers aren't played much, there's very few of them to Radar, Hydro DDs and use their faster ROF to attack them.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,050 battles
1 hour ago, Panic512 said:

That and I have found that most, not all, players tend to be very passive and don't want to get close at tier 8.

This has always been the problem with ranked. Passive players lose you the battle. The reason why is that, the team that has the most guns shooting early in the battle, take out the ships that are trying to cap and push quite easily because they have no back up. Then they can just take out the other ships one at a time as they try to pop out of hiding. The hiding is accentuated by the fact that the best loser doesn't lose a star.

The best thing that I have found this Yo Yo season is that it is at tier 8 and I have plenty of tier 8 ships I am grinding right now. They aren't the ones that I would really bring into battle to win but what the heck, If you are going to Yo Yo up and down anyway, you might as well be working toward a goal. So I will play the bad ships at least until I can research the tier 9. Once I have done that I suppose I can try to play the better ships. I have changed my attitude for ranked (Duncan) season. The rewards are good and the games are generally a lot shorter so I can farm credits and get past the tier 8 ships that struggle so hard in random due to the Terrible, God Awful, Match Maker that this game possesses.

If luck has it that I get on the right teams I will progress, if it goes the other way oh well no loss because Yo Yo season really has nothing to do with how good you are it really is just about how many times you are the best loser. The more times you take the best loser spot the more you advance. It's really pretty sad. I have 6 ships that I have to grind to tier 9. Tier 8 was the best choice they could have made for me. Good luck to you all and remember this isn't random you have to push to win.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,248 posts

VERY limited sample size, but:   I've gone 2-1.   Both of the wins shared very similar characteristics:

1) the team stuck together and pushed as a group.

2) We were aggressive- going after the other team, and keeping them on the defensive.  The pushing never stopped- we just split, one group turned towards the other caps and pushed that way; the second group kept up the pressure on the runners.

In the losing game, we did everything BUT ^^^...    Ships spotted by radar ignored;  team scattered willy-nilly.  Any ship attempting to move up was abandoned to their fate.   Oh, and the whining and name calling in chat.

That last bit was completely absent in the wins.

Whomever stated that ranked battles play a lot more like Co-op than randoms has been correct so far.  It's quite fun being able to use my New Orleans to it's max advantage, instead of being forced into a meta that doesn't suit it.    These have been fast paced, exciting brawlfests.

I am, in no way masochistic enough to grind my way to rank 1.  I'll just do what I can and when it gets too grindy or I plateau, I'll simply move on.  This is my first year doing it, and I have no real expectations.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,050 battles
1 hour ago, HTSMetal said:

Which of course can be done quite easily and therefore happens more than you think.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,400 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

That said, whichever team supports and concentrates DDs the best, wins. 

I'm running my BBs. Agree on the DD quote. I'm pushing and supporting. Haven't encountered salt or any CVs in two days.

Sign in to follow this