You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Which tier 4 ship you like best? Cruiser.

24 comments in this topic

Members
4,555 posts
6,477 battles

I have both French Doogie and Russian Svetlana. In win % they are very close with high 51% win rate....both.  However thus far Svet has bout 500,000 more matches. I at around 49% in Svet last time I looked but I have really not played Doogie very much.  She is pretty damn frail.  Svet is better armored. If you have both which do you like best and why?  These are tier 4 ships and I like tier 4.  Fun for me. Tks.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,134 battles

In my very limited experience, the Phoenix. It's wicked fast, and outranges BBs at that tier. Tear around the map and spam HE from distance, WASD like crazy, and irritate the WY drivers because they don't have the range to hit you. As a bonus, most people don't know it has torps, so if you have to yolo a BB, they usually don't see it coming.

Members
4,555 posts
6,477 battles
12 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

In my very limited experience, the Phoenix. It's wicked fast, and outranges BBs at that tier. Tear around the map and spam HE from distance, WASD like crazy, and irritate the WY drivers because they don't have the range to hit you. As a bonus, most people don't know it has torps, so if you have to yolo a BB, they usually don't see it coming.

Phoenix is very interesting.  It's got about the lowest win rate in it's tier. I do believe this is because players get it and have no idea how to play it. It's a great ship in the right hands and many who play her love her. You gotta be careful in her.  She is not a brawler but some play her that way and get deleted fast.

[SF-A]
Members
2,895 posts
5,707 battles

The Kuma was always a favorite of mine, but the Frenchie was a ton of fun as well. I hear fun things about Yubari and Iwaki, but don't have either.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
35 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Phoenix is very interesting.  It's got about the lowest win rate in it's tier. I do believe this is because players get it and have no idea how to play it. It's a great ship in the right hands and many who play her love her. You gotta be careful in her.  She is not a brawler but some play her that way and get deleted fast.

Every time I see a Phoenix player, they seem to be trying to use it's torpedoes. I doubt I ever fired Phoenix torps at an enemy all the games I played her.

The Phoenix is a perfect kiting machine. It has the speed to keep the range open on any enemy. It has weapons all around so that you always have guns active. The rate of fire is great. Just focus a target until a fire is started and then switch. And if any destroyer is dumb enough to get close enough for torpedoes, shred it. 

Tier 4 battleship sigma is so bad, why would you ever want to get close to one?

Edited by DingBat

Members
17 posts
1,611 battles

Another vote for the Phoenix here. Fast, maneuverable, and with long range guns it's effective against both BB's and DD's. I can only imagine the frustration of the low tier BB drivers as I kite them and continually set them on fire while they can't do anything about it. It's really good once you learn its style. Getting close or showing broadside for more than a split second will get you deleted. Unless it's a DD, hydro up and run those little jerks down!

[CK5]
Members
805 posts
6,562 battles

I always see Phoenix captains play their ship as if they are still driving the St. Louis.  I have the Phoenix but my T4 favorite is Kuma, hands down.  

Members
4,555 posts
6,477 battles
1 minute ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I always see Phoenix captains play their ship as if they are still driving the St. Louis.  I have the Phoenix but my T4 favorite is Kuma, hands down.  

YUP.  I have both. St Louis is a brawling tank.  Phoenix is a light footed boxer circling and circling. Very different play style. No one has mentioned Svetlana yet. Damn good T4 crusier.  I love her....and she can torp from almost any angle.  Damn near directly behind her! 

[VVV]
Members
358 posts
2,271 battles

I would have to say the Svietlana because of the fact that she was just an absolute joy to play with as I was grinding up the line. I could have easily racked up enough experience to get to the Kirov many times over.

Phoenix was nice, but I don't have fond memories of her like I do the 'Lana. Which is weird, because I generally like the US cruisers more than the RU cruisers.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,252 battles

Kuma, Hands down the most dangerous Tier 4 cruiser in of course the right hands

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,643 posts
9,035 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

I think you are right. People come from the tough as nails St Louis with its more battleship like play style and need to learn a new bob & weave play style. The other lines have more evolutionary instead of revolutionary play style changes at that tier

[WOLF9]
Members
3,247 posts
59 minutes ago, dmckay said:

YUP.  I have both. St Louis is a brawling tank.  Phoenix is a light footed boxer circling and circling. Very different play style. No one has mentioned Svetlana yet. Damn good T4 crusier.  I love her....and she can torp from almost any angle.  Damn near directly behind her! 

Very true- that's some serious mental whiplash there, going from battleship St Louis to the thoroughbred racehorse known as Phoenix.  I HATED mine at first, until I figured out how to play it- then I loved it.

Tough question, there are a LOT of good cruisers at tier 4.  Esp now with the protected MM.  However:

Svetlana- hands down the most matches of them all.  A tanky little pew pew machine with a lot of torps.

Doogie.- perhaps slightly unfair because it came out this year- when I had a LOT more experience under my belt.  But I did better in this one than all the others.   And it was really fun doing it.

Yubari- for sheer fun factor, this little pest is really hard to beat!  A tier 4 cruiser that can troll CV players?  Yep!

Members
3,788 posts
14,062 battles
6 hours ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Three way tie between Danae, Phoenix, and Kuma

I played Phoenix a lot before she got affected by the power creep. She's still a good ship but not as effective as she used to be.

Kuma is still my go-to tech tree tier 4 Cruiser. I also like Yubari.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,643 posts
9,035 battles

Best tier 4 cruiser is also the rarest, the Iwaki Alpha. Anytime you are within 10Km of one you are in for a world of hurt.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

Kuma is exp pinata.  She lifts her skirt and gets penned by anything with AP.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,844 posts
13,808 battles
26 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Kuma is exp pinata.  She lifts her skirt and gets penned by anything with AP.

jGxlinf.gif

I only have one T4 cruiser in my fleet and its the Kuma cause she is a fun boat.