You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
knoxklay11

Ship Commander Names and Portraits Shouldn't Be Random

10 comments in this topic

[USN]
[USN]
Members
1 post
2,624 battles

Although Im perhaps being too picky or just too much of a perfectionist, it often frustrates me when it comes time to choose a commander for a vessel. Often, I find myself endlessly clicking the randomize button on the recruiting tab until i find just the right name and portait for my commander, especially for a vessel with which the available names are a great match. For example, I once spent what seemed like an eternity randomly generating names until I could find a Benjamin Franklin to command my Independence-class CV or to find a captain with a name closely similar to the real historical COs of the vessel in question.  I'm hoping I am not the only person that is this particular when choosing a commander for my ships as I feel that this random gamble when choosing the name/appearance is so unnecessary and time consuming. Would it not be so much easier and beneficial to just add a name/portrait selecting option similar to that available on World of Tanks? I personally would be more than happy to fork over the tiny amount of doubloons it would cost to customize my commander if it saved me 45 mins of clicking and searching for the perfect name. The minor addition of such a customization option, free or otherwise, would be such a fantastic update and would be greatly welcomed and appreciated by tireless, overly-fastidious players like myself. 

Edited by knoxklay11
  • Cool 3

[PNG]
Alpha Tester
1,421 posts
11,217 battles

True! It's not like it really affects anybody else so I don't know why they don't let us do it.

For that matter why they don't let us assign custom voices to each commander instead of a overarching voice pack.

I think it would be fun if they just let us customize our captain's and made it so the UNIQUE commanders just have special skills or effects that make them stand out.

I could really get behind this idea. I could finally get a full Kantai fleet if I so chose!

• Cool 2

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,419 battles
1 hour ago, knoxklay11 said:

Although Im perhaps being too picky or just too much of a perfectionist, it often frustrates me when it comes time to choose a commander for a vessel. Often, I find myself endlessly clicking the randomize button on the recruiting tab until i find just the right name and portait for my commander, especially for a vessel with which the available names are a great match. For example, I once spent what seemed like an eternity randomly generating names until I could find a Benjamin Franklin to command my Independence-class CV or to find a captain with a name closely similar to the real historical COs of the vessel in question.  I'm hoping I am not the only person that is this particular when choosing a commander for my ships as I feel that this random gamble when choosing the name/appearance is so unnecessary and time consuming. Would it not be so much easier and beneficial to just add a name/portrait selecting option similar to that available on World of Tanks? I personally would be more than happy to fork over the tiny amount of doubloons it would cost to customize my commander if it saved me 45 mins of clicking and searching for the perfect name. The minor addition of such a customization option, free or otherwise, would be such a fantastic update and would be greatly welcomed and appreciated by tireless, overly-fastidious players like myself. 

Hate to say this but yea you're being too picky. You are worrying about the name of the captain in your ship? I thought I had heard of every whining thing here from the game sucks, MM hates me, I'm over tiered, people are torping me etc.

Make posts about guns, angling, ship abilities, crates, REAL advice, torpedo handling etc.

Not whether your captain's name goes with his ship. Fork over doubloons for camo, bullets, flags, premium time, modules etc. Not whether your captain has a name to match his ship. Geez I thought I had heard it all here.

th?id=OIP.5m0LixL4nFkUGTioiFCOHgHaHQ&pid

• Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,419 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Who says that the commander's names are random?

worked.jpg.0b5a5507822fc87ccd535a13b8084a9a.jpg

Any kin to Smelly McDoglog?

• Funny 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,419 battles
13 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Who says that the commander's names are random?

worked.jpg.0b5a5507822fc87ccd535a13b8084a9a.jpg

How you doing Snarg? Loved the little red riding hood. You see the Parody ironwolf did of Godzilla? You got a follower and some completion. My advice though since we are friends is don't Ann Murray ok!! Love you man be cool

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,419 battles

Okay Knoxklay, I gave this some thought. This has been a topic before. I should apologize because after I gave it some thought between all the happy festivities and sneaking to my laptop about 10:00 last night I stopped. Sat down and thought yea that would actually be a cool idea. Just take away those annoying Anime girls and give me some old grizzled Sea Dog captains that I can name and choose their voice. I'm on board with you now and apologize for appearing to be a troll ok.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,419 battles
7 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

LOL. I just found this:

I'm speechless and that doesn't happen often. Thanks man, you made my day.