Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

It would be awesome if the cyclone had variable spotting distance

6 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
8,585 posts
25,702 battles

Ok, cyclone is not a bad idea. But wouldn't it be better better better if the it weren't always an ironclad 8 kms? Sometimes 10? sometimes 6? etc?

• Cool 3

Members
4,823 posts
5,596 battles

Yeah, this would be a great thing to help add some variety to cyclones. Not every storm is going to be so severe that your visibility is reduced by a whole lot. The mechanic itself should reflect that. The warnings built in and other UI elements already support it as it tells you what the visibility will be (and is during the storm).

[NDA]
Supertester
4,841 posts
13,808 battles

There was some talk by the Devs when they were explaining about the New Halloween Event. It had to do with the work they did creating the Filth and how its spreads across the map. It gave them some ideas for localized weather events in game. So maybe we could see small weather events that take place in places on the map. Instead of what we have no which is a whole map weather event. 

[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,670 battles

I've long thought doing something like that would make cyclones a little more dynamic, as well as help the groans you hear from people who have the misfortune of being in squish brawl unfriendly ships which will now be forced to get dangerously close to even see their enemies.

Heck I think it'd be neat just to have some variety in the visibility on maps as a default.  I mean, not every day in the north Atlantic is sunny with 20km+ visibility.

[SALVO]
Members
17,060 posts
17,716 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Ok, cyclone is not a bad idea. But wouldn't it be better better better if the it weren't always an ironclad 8 kms? Sometimes 10? sometimes 6? etc?

While this is a great idea, what would be even better is if  cyclones returned to what they were like when they were first released, when they actually did limit what you could see on screen, not just the mechanical sighting distances.  it really kills immersion when you're in a cyclone and what you see on-screen looks like a bright sunny day, and you can see the terrain in the distance.  In the past, you couldn't see squat beyond about 8 km.  And ships that were on the edge of the 8 km detection range could be rather difficult to pick out through the fog.  

On a side note, it was really amusing in those situations because ships that had darker, more realistic camos could be really difficult to pick out through the fog, while ships sporting some bright, wild camo colors stood out like sore thumbs!

[SALVO]
Members
17,060 posts
17,716 battles

For what it's worth, there are still some people who completely hate cyclones, because they seem to think that battles ought to be played according to Marquis of Queensberry rules of warships, rather than trying to emulate somewhat realistic conditions.

I happen to believe that variable weather conditions are critical to this game because unlike in WoT where the playing surface (i.e. where the tanks can travel) can vary due to terrain, in WoWS, the playing surface is the ocean and it's flat as a pancake.  Weather represents one way that the devs can add at least some variety into combat conditions.

Sign in to follow this