You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GhostSwordsman

About These New Ship Horns...

13 comments in this topic

Members
4,830 posts
5,599 battles

New Year Ship's Horn

New Year celebrations are steaming towards us at flank speed -- what better way to ring in 2018 than with the fanfare of ship horns!

Throughout the duration of New Year's festivities, all Commanders is able to warn other players of the risks of a collision, other dangers or a torpedo salvo.

The new horns let you sound off to surrounding ships. Once you activate the horn ("N" key by default) you spend a four-second "time resource," which needs a regeneration/cooldown of 15 seconds afterward. You don’t have to lean on the horn for all four seconds; try several shorter horns instead. However, this can result in full regeneration taking up to 45 seconds. It is possible to use the horn even before its recovery has reached 100%.

When a ship sounds its horn, all players at a sufficient distance can hear the sound: The shorter the distance, the louder the signal. You'll only be able to hear the signals produced by enemy ships if you've detected them. The horn is loudest within one or two kilometers, and starts to fade away at three to five kilometers, becoming barely audible five or more kilometers. If a ship is farther away, you'll only hear it when detected in your binocular view.

But if the new horns are not to your liking, you can disable sounds completely in the Audio settings. To do that, access the Game Menu, select the "Settings" tab, open the "Audio" section and untick the "Enable Ship Horns" field.

If the Ship's Horn sound is disabled in Settings, your ship won't be able to signal with it either.

Ships of different types have different sound signals, and you may encounter 23 original and several unique horn sounds. Command various ships to try them all!

If I'm understanding these patch notes correctly, then if I don't want to hear the ship horns, unchecking the box 'enable ship horns' should turn the sound off and also prevent me from using the horn as well.

However, I've unchecked the box, as I don't care to hear the horn over and over when playing the game, yet I continue to hear ship horns in the distance or from allies right next to me. I can't use 'N' to make a horn sound myself, but I can still hear horns from other ships. As I said, if I'm understanding the patch notes correctly, then I shouldn't be hearing any horns if I have the box unchecked. I think it's bugged but bringing it up in game gets no responses (other than a bunch of horn blasts from teammates) or any kind of confirmation/denial from those who might have also turned them off.

Spoiler

RFrXoH0.jpg

See, box is unchecked, yet I continue to hear horns from other ships in-game.

Can anyone else that's turned the horns 'off' confirm or deny that they're still hearing horns from other players?

@Radar_X, I'm gonna tag you since you seem keen on getting feedback and bug reports from us. Hopefully you'll send this up the chain and get this looked into as I don't think the box is actually functioning correctly.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[PVE]
Members
5,643 posts
18,236 battles

Yeah just a few toots at the beginning of the match usually. Since each ship has its own horn that is understandable, everyone is trying out to see what that ship sounds like. Once the matches start, haven't heard a peep from a horn. IMHO it is really well implemented and with the cool down period, not spammable, I say it is a nice thing to have in the game. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,344 posts
1,343 battles

Same here, there this fear that the horn spam is happening but in reality most people don't even use it. Well at the start of a battle there might be one or two but thats really it. 

• Cool 1

Members
4,830 posts
5,599 battles

Guys, the point isn't whether or not people are actually spamming the horns, the point is that I used the "turn it off" feature, and it's not been turned off. The off button doesn't work.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,905 battles
17 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I haven't noticed people using them very much at all.

Same, most games do not hear.

Members
4,830 posts
5,599 battles
9 hours ago, Pacific_Cruiser1942 said:

Not even ... ---...

SOS.

Then again, I was in the boy scouts, so I did learn some basic Morse code, since something like SOS can get you help even if your out of sight or earshot.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,829 battles
On 12/23/2017 at 12:52 AM, Incendiary_Tanker said:

Same here, there this fear that the horn spam is happening but in reality most people don't even use it. Well at the start of a battle there might be one or two but thats really it. 

and I find that far less offensive than the spamming of radio messages

Members
230 posts
4,430 battles
On 12/22/2017 at 11:39 PM, GhostSwordsman said:

Guys, the point isn't whether or not people are actually spamming the horns, the point is that I used the "turn it off" feature, and it's not been turned off. The off button doesn't work.

Why would you want to do that? 

I didn't realize horns had been implemented,  but I could have used it last night when 3 teammates collided with me. 

Members
1 post
1,088 battles

I shut off horns in settings and I can still hear them,, I get your question,, you dont like hearing them at all , beginning of the match or not,,  I wish I could disable in audio but I havent figured out a way yet,, my beef is when someone has the horn that wont stop blowing,, dont know if its a hack mod or what ,, wish wows would simply let us do this for our own preferences