Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BuddyJezus

DD against CV

9 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
2,019 battles

What the hell am I supposed to do if there's even one CV on the map and I'm in a DD? If the CV is two tiers higher than me I'm even more powerless to do anything against he's planes. I can't even perform my basic duty as a DD with scouting, capturing, and map control without being constantly spotted or corralled by the enemy CV. 

Members
472 posts
12,494 battles

The biggest bane to DD play in the game. I am hoping they change plane spotting to just like cyclones. Planes will spot for the CV but only put an image on the mini map for everyone else.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,091 battles
On 12/22/2017 at 7:42 PM, BuddyJezus said:

What the hell am I supposed to do if there's even one CV on the map and I'm in a DD? If the CV is two tiers higher than me I'm even more powerless to do anything against he's planes. I can't even perform my basic duty as a DD with scouting, capturing, and map control without being constantly spotted or corralled by the enemy CV. 

Run away?  Get inside a cruiser’s AA bubble?  Ready up a Sims, Kidd, Benson C hull, or Grozovoi?

A determined CV player can ruin my Yugumo game. No smoke to hide in.

And if a plane spots my torps anywhere along their 12 km path, they stay spotted forever.  THAT really needs to change. 

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,422 battles
13 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

And if a plane spots my torps anywhere along their 12 km path, they stay spotted forever.  THAT really needs to change. 

I didn't know that.  I try to remember for when I some day get long range torps...

Congrats on 2000 posts.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,091 battles
12 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I didn't know that.  I try to remember for when I some day get long range torps...

Congrats on 2000 posts.

That’s one of the reasons to run double fighters or spotter planes. 

It’s also an under appreciated potential contribution from a CV. Even if you can’t spot the DD in smoke, you can spot his torps leaving the smoke. 

And thanks for noticing the 2,000.  Makes me wonder if I type too much though. 

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
On 12/22/2017 at 7:42 PM, BuddyJezus said:

The first potential solution should be the most obvious: know your own detection range from the air and stay outside that range--you can always see the aircraft before they see you.  Failing that, yeah...you either need to get help from your own CV (not always that easy) or make a beeline for a friendly with good AA fire to get rid of them.

At the very least, you're keeping one of his air wings busy & providing some relief to your carrier. :Smile_teethhappy:

[CVA16]
Members
2,303 posts
9,888 battles

This is one of those situations that is exacerbated by a discrepancy in CV driver skills or, even worse, your CV is AFK or sunk. His fighters may have nothing better to do but hang around you. It can take a long time to run to a friendly ship with good AA and there may not even be anyone with effective AA to run to.

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

This is one of those situations that is exacerbated by a discrepancy in CV driver skills or, even worse, your CV is AFK or sunk. His fighters may have nothing better to do but hang around you. It can take a long time to run to a friendly ship with good AA and there may not even be anyone with effective AA to run to.

In the upper tiers (where this scenario most often occurs), there will always be a friendly with good AA at the beginning of the match.  If those AA ships are sunk and you're up against a competent CV driver, then your team has already lost anyway. 

You'll very rarely see a low-tier carrier captain who will think to do this, have the aircraft available to do this, and be good enough at multitasking to keep the planes on you...and even then, you'll more rarely still be up against teammates of theirs who'll use that information to do anything about you (when I dabbled in CVs I would mark destroyers like this, and then watch my friendly cruisers & DDs ignore them anyway).

I'm not trying to make light of how frustrating this can be as a DD captain, but it doesn't really happen often enough to become game-breaking.  And if you think this is annoying, just wait until an enemy Midway decides to delete you 2 minutes into a match. :cap_rambo:

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

If you haven't tried these already they may help. 

1. Make sure Air Detectability Range on you mini-map is turned on. Any spotted CV planes should appear there.

2. Increase the size of your mini-map. And possibly the Transparency also (best to not have a huge blindspot in that area of the screen).

3. Treat them like the same way you treat Ships and your Surface Detectability Range.

4. If you don't know how to turn those on there should be a small gear wheel near the minimap. 

If you have already been spotted. Then hopefully you're not too far ahead of the main battle group for AA support. 

Switch on AA and fall back (your spotted already maybe RNG will kill a plane on your retreat).

The above is what I do in my Cruisers and DDs when I'm scouting ahead or attempting torps. 

One further thing to note if you're being spotted mostly when scouting ahead is how far you are from the Main Battle Group. If you're beyond they're ability to attack the targets you're spotting or your solo on that flank; just drop back. And maybe drop torps as a parting gift. 

Once both Battle Groups start firing at eachother your needing to spot is diminished since they're being detected because of their guns. 

If you are solo on the flank then you've done what you needed to do at that point you spotted how many are pushing that flank. Don't attempt a solo delaying action when you're MM puts you in a CV lobby. It's very tempting to do. But as you mention once those planes are overhead and actively spotting you.. you're going to have a bad time.

Risk / Reward Management is key. If you know the CV's planes are on the opposite side of the map maybe try to solo delay. But take note if they're on an RTC route. Their next sortie could be in your direction. 

Sign in to follow this