You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ReddNekk

Prinz Eugen/Hipper Ranked

7 comments in this topic

Members
6,916 posts
7,508 battles

Given that most of the maps so far have been heavy with islands, I'd think they'll do fairly well, since they can hide and not get focused too much. The one I saw was on an open map, and it didn't do too well. In fact, the only cruiser in my own rounds that's doing well is Edinburgh. I stress that's just the 9 rounds I've played, I don't know what the global stats are. (Except that Eddie that thought it was sneaky and got himself blown to heck by yours truly. That one didn't do too well. :P )

[-VT3-]
Members
1,625 posts
3,364 battles

While Hipper and Eugen CAN do well in the right circumstances, I would never consider either of them to be a competitive cruiser.  They're in the uncomfortable position of lacking DPM befitting a cruiser, while also lacking the alpha that battleships bring to the table.  Additionally, they're slow, sluggish, huge, and not at all stealthy.  For all of this, they're still cruisers, which means they cannot really tank damage, either.  

In short, the Hipper can't deal damage, can't tank damage, can't dodge, can't run, and can't hide.  It's the classic example of a ship with a major identity crisis.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,390 battles
25 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Given that most of the maps so far have been heavy with islands, I'd think they'll do fairly well, since they can hide and not get focused too much. The one I saw was on an open map, and it didn't do too well. In fact, the only cruiser in my own rounds that's doing well is Edinburgh. I stress that's just the 9 rounds I've played, I don't know what the global stats are. (Except that Eddie that thought it was sneaky and got himself blown to heck by yours truly. That one didn't do too well. :P )

Yep so far I've done 6 battles. Been shopping cooking etc. All the maps have lent themselves to cruisers. Havent seen a CV all day.

[SALVO]
Members
17,039 posts
17,659 battles

I suppose that cruisers can do OK if they can work islands and find some good positions where they can shoot from behind hard cover.  But radar cruisers are in a bind because they have to be close enough to use their radar, and probably need to do it hiding behind hard cover to avoid getting spotted and deleted.  Or you can play the kiting sniper, and try to watch the world burn.  The problem there seems to be that there are so many BBs that may fire at you, it may only be a matter of time before you get hit hard if you become a  center of attention for the enemy BBs.

Long term (after this season of Ranked, that is), if the devs wanted to promote more cruiser play in Ranked, I think that they'd need to limit the number of BBs per team to about 2, maybe 3.  But even then, you might end up seeing those players choosing to play DDs rather than cruisers, and you'd end up having to limit DDs as well, if they really wanted to get players into cruisers.  Oh well.