Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JessieTheKitty

Rivers Ranked Ship's what to play/Avoid

54 comments in this topic

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles

HELLO today is the start of tier 8 ranked! Exciting stuff......

this is a gluide to help people understand what ships they should take out and what they are usefull for.

DESTROYERS:

Akizuki IJN = Has very good guns and great concealment. great for hunting dd's. Also has smoke and TRB. Main downside: 1 launcher of torps.

Kagero IJN: great torps and great concealment. However guns are pretty bad and nearly all the ships should be running Hydro.

Harekaze IJN: Same as kagero. However if you really do want to play this ship it would be recommanded to get the b hull for akizuki guns.

Z-23 KMS: great torpedo boat with meh detection. This can be a threat in a cap since it has hydro. But i would give it a pass considering there are better dd's

Lo Yang PA: Amazing hydro, great concealment, benson torps **ew** but has good smoke. (Best dd for contesting caps)

hisenyang PA: DWT are nice but its not a cap contester. I really wouldnt want to see these anywhere on my team.

Kiev VMF: fast. Russian bias. Bad detection. Not really a cap contester. Probably Meh in ranked.

Ognevoi VMF: Better detection... Russian Bias guns. But still doesnt have hydro/radar like PA DD/KMS DD

Kidd USN: i highley suggest you play this. Stronk AA, Great concealment, Great guns, Has repair Party. But bad torps :C

Benson USN: wouldnt recommand meh torps. Guns great but doesnt really have anything else to its name. There are better cap dd's such as Lo Yang / Kidd / Z-23

CRUISERS:

Kutuzov VMF: hydro/DEFAA + smoke is great when you have 20km firing range. However horrible detection :C

chapayev VMF: Radar + DEFAA/Hydro is good. You can really help your team by playing one of the few radar boats jn tier 8. It also has decent detection for stronk russian bias

New Orleans USN: Squishy. Decent detection. Great AP. Slow reload... however it has radar. One of the few at tier 8! But this is one of those island hoppers. You will struggle with this if your constantly in open ocean.

mogami IJN: if you want to be a a$$holr that sparks a million fires this your boat. Squishy as hell though. 

Atago IJN literally zero armor.... but sparks fires like a pyromaniac.

Admiral Hipper/Prinz Eugen KMS: good AP, Armor can be quite a troll to BB's at times. Meh detection. 

Edinburgh RN: yes it does have radar but it is the squishy bag of citadels in tier 8 DO NOT PLAY THIS BOAT.

Charles Martel The Frenchie:

its fast, its got powerful guns, OK detection. Overall a decent crusier

Battleships:

Bismarck/Tirpitz KMs: if theres an enterprise running around your doomed. However if there isnt your a beast of a brawler. Great seconadarys (torps for tirpitz) but meh concealment. Your also screaming IM FAST AS FCK BOI to your team.

North Carolina/Alabama USN: great ap. Great firing range. Great detection. Little on slow side though...

Monarch RN: just. dont play it. This ship.... so bad.....

amagi / Kii IJN: pretty decent battleships with amazing AP on cruisers... also have decent range. Bad concealment is a negitive though with these :C

Aircraft Carriers:

Enterprise USN: Rule the skys! Punish those german BB's (you also have amazing detection!) and infinite hanger!!!

lexington USN: less hanger capacity then enterprise... also gets one less fighter :C however you do have AP bombs for those german BB's

Shokaku IJN: three fighters (for AS Build) will grant you air superiority however you decrease your damage potential a lot.

Edited by RiverTheIdiot
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
5 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

CRUISERS:

chapayev VMF: Radar + DEFAA/Hydro is good. You can really help your team by playing one of the few radar boats jn tier 8. However bad detection :/

Actually the Chapayev has rather good detection, with being able to get its detection down to 10.2 km with full concealment build, and with 11.7 km range, any time you're spotted you know there's a destroyer in your radar range so just hit the radar and kill the destroyer..

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
1 minute ago, Lightninger said:

Actually the Chapayev has rather good detection, with being able to get its detection down to 10.2 km with full concealment build, and with 11.7 km range, any time you're spotted you know there's a destroyer in your radar range so just hit the radar and kill the destroyer..

Ah i thought it was same as kutuzovs my bad

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
5 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Ah i thought it was same as kutuzovs my bad

The Kutuzov actually has fairly decent detection as well going down to 11.14 km at full concealment. What is hurting its strength this season is the smoke firing detection of something like 7.7 km which could pose a problem unless you're smoking far in the back with clear shots on the enemy team the whole game.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Atago has some of, if not the best armor at T8 for cruisers. Plus it is one of the stealthiest at tier, has a great torpedo broadside, excellent durability, and a heal. Downside is her lack of AA.

• Cool 2

[NDA]
Supertester
4,845 posts
13,820 battles

The Benson is a Great Destroyer and it was the first ship to carry me to Rank 1.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
23 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

The Kutuzov actually has fairly decent detection as well going down to 11.14 km at full concealment. What is hurting its strength this season is the smoke firing detection of something like 7.7 km which could pose a problem unless you're smoking far in the back with clear shots on the enemy team the whole game.

Yes but its either concealment or IFHE. IFHE is BADLY needed on kutuzov with demo

6 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Atago has some of, if not the best armor at T8 for cruisers. Plus it is one of the stealthiest at tier, has a great torpedo broadside, excellent durability, and a heal. Downside is her lack of AA.

Yes but her armor acts like its non-exsistant. I can cit them so easy its idiotic. 

3 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

The Benson is a Great Destroyer and it was the first ship to carry me to Rank 1.

Yes. But new ships have been added and the tides have turned my friend

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,815 posts
7,075 battles
46 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Aircraft Carriers:

Enterprise USN: Rule the skys! Punish those german BB's (you also have amazing detection!) and infinite hanger!!!

lexington USN: less hanger capacity then enterprise... also gets one less fighter :C however you do have AP bombs for those german BB's

Shokaku IJN: three fighters (for AS Build) will grant you air superiority however you decrease your damage potential a lot.

Graf Zeppelin Vanilla is available for ranked, and is superior to lexington in all circumstances, while superior to Shokaku for the majority of players (Shok requires more sophisticated skillset to get the best out of her).

You should at least add Graf Zeppelin Vanilla, as she is available for those who own her.ranked.PNG.fe4b2bc216a0cad24996fa800aa1d928.PNG

[NDA]
Supertester
4,845 posts
13,820 battles

@RiverTheIdiot My Benson has a 19p Commander and I've played 391 Random battles alone in It. So while a bunch of new ships have been added I've yet to see a reason to stop playing this trusted ally for any of the other loliboats in the game. 

And if three Rank 1 seasons has taught me anything its the Captain in the ship that matters not the ship.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
6 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Yes but its either concealment or IFHE. IFHE is BADLY needed on kutuzov with demo

It doesn't need to be either/or. I would just simply stick my Chapayev captain on it, which has IFHE, CE, and DE. AFT is not a required skill, especially if you purposely avoid going into games with CVs.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000100010000001100010000119

[SYN]
Members
4,548 posts
11,437 battles

Disagree about the Benson and Chapyev.

Despite the Benson's torpedoes not being the most powerful at Tier VIII they are still a serviceable threat.  They're nothing to sneeze at, and certainly nothing to be disregarded in Ranked.  Benson is a good boat in randoms, and a good boat in Ranked.

I don't know where you got the idea that the Chapayev has bad concealment.  It has very good concealment, especially for a Russian cruiser.  Also, those guns, and radar.

I stopped reading after that, since you missed the mark at those two, and so early in your post.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Benson is one of the best DDs at the tier. Watch a little gold league and pay attention to the DDs that get play. Benson and Akizuki.  Harakaze only if it's TRB to save a smoke. Lol Yang on maps that allow it to shine.

The DDs for the season will probably look something like...

Great: Kidd, Benson, Lol Yang 

Decent: Ognevoi, Akizuki

Meh:  Harakaze, made in China, Kiev, made in German.

Cruisers:

Great: Chappy, New Orleans

Decent: Kutuzov, Atago, Edinburgh

Meh: made in German, Mogami

BB:

Great: North Carolina, Amagi

Decent: Alabama

Meh: made in German, Kii, Monarch

CV: 

Either AS Shokaka or Enterprise.  Slight edge to Shokaka unless they're dumb and bring something that isn't AS, then they'll get stomped.

Members
82 posts
1,305 battles
57 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

HELLO today is the start of tier 8 ranked! Exciting stuff......

this is a gluide to help people understand what ships they should take out and what they are usefull for.

DESTROYERS:

Lo Yang PA: Amazing hydro, great concealment, benson torps **ew** but has good smoke. (Best dd)

Kidd USN: i highley suggest you play this. Stronk AA, Great concealment, Great guns, Has repair Party. But bad torps

The Lo Yang....omgawesomesauce

i had a hydro thingy in inventory I never saw

i went to buy the Kidd on the 4th but it was gone so I pulled the trigger on the Lo Yang with a 10 pt commander...

The bote is freakin amazing.  I’m a way below average player...but she makes me pretend I’m good:cap_like:

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,796 battles
55 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Agreed bow in angled it's pretty troll, kiting away and lighting 10-20 fires is also fun the dropping off detection and rinsing and repeating.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
8,987 battles

In my first few games I can add a few observations:

1. Leave your Hipper in port. Been in 3 matches with a Hipper on my team, all three ended up at the bottom of the team (and the ocean). Small sample size, yes, but still...

2. Lexington is outmatched. Unless you're unicum in the Lex, it seems like it's a poor choice.

3. There are some terrifying Akizukis out there. Might be the dark horse DD in this season.

4. Cruiser players (Atago!) need to learn how to use their torpedoes. I've eaten 2 friendly torps. Both launched from an Atago. I hope this isn't the start of an exciting new trend...

5. Kiev is better than I thought it would be, especially with concealment mod and CE captain skill.

6. Don't go to B on your own Benson. Please. Benson? Hello? (Also applies to every other DD). DDs working together to grab a cap win the cap. Period.

7. No one is playing the New Orleans yet, which is odd.

8. Man, the Z-23 is hurtin' in ranked. 

9. CVs are a popular item this season. Only been in one match so far sans CV.

That is all. I will report back later after 25 matches! 

[KENT]
Members
568 posts
4,017 battles

the only reason one will take a Monarch is cause you do not have a No Cal, or you want to be a BB caliber HE spamming #@!$%$

Members
3,796 posts
14,076 battles

Charles Martel wasn't mentioned by the OP. This is the Cruiser that I'm going to start out with. She's pretty robust, has great guns with good firestarting, good torpedoes, and has good maneuverability and detection. Her AA is kinda meh, not as good as Prinz Eugen's but much better than Atago's.

Edited by ReddNekk

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
8,987 battles

I haven't encountered a Marty yet, which is a bit surprising.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
3 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

Charles Martel wasn't mentioned by the OP. This is the Cruiser that I'm going to start out with. She's pretty robust, has great guns with good firestarting, good torpedoes, and has good maneuverability and detection. Her AA is kinda meh, not as good as Prinz Eugen's but much better than Atago's.

Sh*t sorry i jnew i was forgetting aomething!

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Chuck is great vs BB and other CA, the weaknesses is it does not do especially well against DD.  DD are there game winners the rest of the team is just support so that's a fairly big weakness.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
1 hour ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Graf Zeppelin Vanilla is available for ranked, and is superior to lexington in all circumstances, while superior to Shokaku for the majority of players (Shok requires more sophisticated skillset to get the best out of her).

You should at least add Graf Zeppelin Vanilla, as she is available for those who own her.ranked.PNG.fe4b2bc216a0cad24996fa800aa1d928.PNG

Im not adding graf due to it still being ST

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,815 posts
7,075 battles
6 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Im not adding graf due to it still being ST

the vanilla Graf is not ST. It is the unchanged version that is stil in our ports and available to play. No different to Belfast (withdrawn from sale, refunds offered, but still playable for those who own her.) To refuse to add GZ vanilla to your list would be plain silly and ignorant.shot-17_12.22_17_39.32-0319.thumb.jpg.ed903c26b3eb7f142f952a3f31479b9b.jpg

Edited by nuttybiscuit

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
2 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

the vanilla Graf is not ST. It is the unchanged version that is stil in our ports and available to play. No different to Belfast (withdrawn fromm sale, refundfs offered, but still playable for those who own her.) To refuse to add GZ vanilla to your list would be plain silly and ignorant.

Sorry? Come again? Its in super testing. You cant compare it to belfast /kutu/ nikolai / gremy / kamikaze... why may you ask? Because WG figured out.. hey.. these ships... they way to OP. So they removed them and arnt working on it. The graf zepplin was a complete piece of sh*t when it got released and got removed from sale in just 5 days meanjng only ~150 people have it (most probably sold it back to WG) so no im not adding it

IMG_3002.PNG

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
1 hour ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

You can have all of the above on Kutuzov.  IFHE, Demo, and concealment.

FER2VV1.jpg

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,233 battles
Just now, Veksha said:

You can have all of the above on Kutuzov.  IFHE, Demo, and concealment.

FER2VV1.jpg

Yes but if im playing kutu im usually doing double / triple kutu div where im the aa ship and the others run conceal. But i dont mind im usually jn the smoke with hydro on 

Sign in to follow this