Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

Anyone know how consumable range values were determined?

5 comments in this topic

Members
416 posts

I've seen posts outlining the radar/hydro ranges for various ships, but was curious as to whether anyone had any idea why these particular distances were chosen. For example, why do Tier 10 UK/US cruisers get a 9.9km radar but Russian cruisers get 11.7km? Why the big disparity, and why such exact numbers?

This isn't a "nerf radar/hydro" post: I am legitimately interested if any long time players know how all of this came about.

Beta Testers
1,480 posts
8,944 battles

The answers are "National Flavor" and "Balance."  Ranges would have been decided on what is useful without being over powering, somewhere between longer than hydro and shorter than the whole map.  The other side is if they all have the same range and duration, then Radar would be like Damage Control Party, the same for everyone.

Thus, what they did was give Russian Radar a longer range, but a much shorter duration and US/UK radar longer durations but shorter ranges.  So a Russian radar can light someone up further out, but they don't stay lit long while US/UK radar has to be closer, but they stay lit for much longer.

National flavor is the differences, and the values picked are the balances.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
9 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I've seen posts outlining the radar/hydro ranges for various ships, but was curious as to whether anyone had any idea why these particular distances were chosen. For example, why do Tier 10 UK/US cruisers get a 9.9km radar but Russian cruisers get 11.7km? Why the big disparity, and why such exact numbers?

This isn't a "nerf radar/hydro" post: I am legitimately interested if any long time players know how all of this came about.

Its to help balance the ship. Say all radar ships got 10km radar right? So atlanta/ belfast would get MAJOR buff considering they are at 8.5rn. And with belfasts 8.7 detection and smoke it would destory the game. Meanwhile russian cruisers would get it nerfed badly considering they would have to get WELL into their concealment range to be able to radar. Now for hydro well..... not sure why WG fiddled with that... lo yang and german dd's get pretty good hydro but thats thier gimick... german dd's have horrible smoke so they have to rely on that heavily.

Members
416 posts
8 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Its to help balance the ship. Say all radar ships got 10km radar right? So atlanta/ belfast would get MAJOR buff considering they are at 8.5rn. And with belfasts 8.7 detection and smoke it would destory the game. Meanwhile russian cruisers would get it nerfed badly considering they would have to get WELL into their concealment range to be able to radar. Now for hydro well..... not sure why WG fiddled with that... lo yang and german dd's get pretty good hydro but thats thier gimick... german dd's have horrible smoke so they have to rely on that heavily.

Makes sense with balance. I know that Russian cruiser radar doesn't last as long as US/UK radar, but 11.7 is a pretty substantial distance. It seems like such a random number, which means that WG is using a formula of some sort.

Beta Testers
1,480 posts
8,944 battles
19 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

Makes sense with balance. I know that Russian cruiser radar doesn't last as long as US/UK radar, but 11.7 is a pretty substantial distance. It seems like such a random number, which means that WG is using a formula of some sort.

They have some kind of standards they use.  The "National Flavor" differences aside, lower tier Hydro and Radars have shorter ranges and durations than their higher tier national counterparts as well.  These seem to scale similarly as they go up in tier.

Sign in to follow this