You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
w4spl3g

Santa Crates: What's your total haul and do you feel it's a good value?

199 comments in this topic

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

I bought 20 x Small (Gift), 40 x Medium (Big Gift) and 20 x Large (Mega Gift) crates which was about $200 total. I had almost 90K Dubloons left over from Halloween and spent over half of those on all of the now-available-for-dubloons premiums. Because of the way the crates pick ships (will not give you something under T5) I bought everything T5 and up to increase chances of getting rare ships which I did not own. I collected all of my results as they were opened (although these are not in order). These are the totals:

Ships (all came with 10 point captains including the duplicates):

Huanghe

Scharnhorst (I got 6650 dubloons, duplicate, already owned)

Okhotnik (1350 dubloons, duplicate, already owned)

Okhotnik (1350 dubloons, duplicate)

Nikolai I

Kamikaze

Gremyaschy

Prinz Eugen

Dubloons:

9,300 from crates

10,700 from duplicate ships (you can see above the payouts are based on their current discounted store price)

Signal Flags:

200 x Zulu Hotel (+50% commander xp)

350 x Papa Papa (+300% free xp)

50 x Equal Speed Charlie London (+50% xp)

195 x Red Dragon Flag (+100% commander xp  / +100% xp)

135 x Hydra (+150% commander xp /  +250% FXP  / +50 xp)

60 x Ouroboros Flag (+777% FXP)

135 x Dragon Flag (+333% commander xp)

15 x Wyvern Flag (+50% credts)

Camos:

315 x Frosty Fir Camo (125% commander xp / 50% FXP / 100% xp)

45 x Type 59 (+200% xp)

Free XP:

Synopsis: Anecdotally, if you need/want normal signal flags buy the $1 small gifts. They're cheaper this way than they are in their normal form during the year in the store. I personally do not think the Special flags were ever worth what they were charging for them in the store and I never bought any, however if that's your thing, the Mega crates are mostly going to be Special flags and camos.

If you want Ships. Buy the Medium $3x (BIg Gift) boxes. Of all the ships I got, only 1 came from the Mega crates (Nikolai I) and 0 from the Small everything else came from the middle tier. When I bought dubloons in between major events like this I always bought the $100 for 25,000 which makes 250 dubloons = $1. Using that, I got $80 back in dubloons alone. The Huanghe I had 0 interest in and the Prinz Eugen was like 9k something dubloon price so that's over half my money back just with those.

I was mostly after the rare ships that can't be purchased any more and I've played them all and they're all awesome. I even bought the Rasputin skin for the Nikolai already :cap_happy:

After watching Flamu and NoZoup's crate videos I think I had worse than average luck with the Mega, better than average with Big, and average luck with Small gifts. Over all I think they were good, not amazing, but better than their normal store crates. Not as good as Halloween if all you want is dubloons, though, but good for ships.

YMMV. Merry Christmas!

Edited by w4spl3g
  • Cool 2

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

Meh, I think people need to be careful before thinking there's some "system" here. 

I invested in 20 Mega crates and got 4 ships out of it. About the only thing I'll agree with is that the smaller crates provide more of the "normal" flags. The mega crates seem to be mostly the special flags. 

[4HIM]
Members
1,804 posts
4,072 battles

17 crates.  5 x Mega,  10 Big, 2 Free.

Gallant, 1k dubs, and a ton of junk flags and camo.  In one stretch of 7 boxes, 5 were nothing more than that fugly fir tree camo. I have enough of that to make me vomit for months.

So no, I don't think they were good value. 

Edited by ZARDOZ_II

Members
1,458 posts
12,318 battles

40 mega - four ships Kut, Perth, Gallant, Mut - so three tier 6 and an 8.  Got enough doubloons to buy an Alabama and Cesaro.  Pile of camo, and flags like the Wyvern which I pair with my Missouri (800K credits with a win).  Did not get premium time, which I really coveted.... Overall, satisfied, but think I am done for putting money in here.  Don't need any more camo, got lots of flags, will see if a better deal on premium time comes out - think I am to the point of "if you want something specific, then just pay for it" verses hoping that RNG smiles on me. 

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 minute ago, Panzer1113 said:

40 mega - four ships Kut, Perth, Gallant, Mut - so three tier 6 and an 8.  Got enough doubloons to buy an Alabama and Cesaro.  Pile of camo, and flags like the Wyvern which I pair with my Missouri (800K credits with a win).  Did not get premium time, which I really coveted.... Overall, satisfied, but think I am done for putting money in here.  Don't need any more camo, got lots of flags, will see if a better deal on premium time comes out - think I am to the point of "if you want something specific, then just pay for it" verses hoping that RNG smiles on me. 

That's kind of where I was at. I really wanted those 2 DD though I already have more ships than I can reasonably play.

17 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

17 crates.  5 x Mega,  10 Big, 2 Free.

Gallant, 1k dubs, and a ton of junk flags and camo.  In one stretch of 7 boxes, 5 were nothing more than that fugly fir tree camo. I have enough of that to make me vomit for months.

So no, I don't think they were good value. 

Yea. I'm not really a fan of the Fir camo look either but they do have better bonuses than most. I do think that WG overprices the camo/special flags and the value of them in the crates accordingly. Like with flags and camo you could easily be paying over $1 per match in consumables, which is ridiculous.

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles
14 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

That's kind of where I was at. I really wanted those 2 DD though I already have more ships than I can reasonably play.

Yea. I'm not really a fan of the Fir camo look either but they do have better bonuses than most. I do think that WG overprices the camo/special flags and the value of them in the crates accordingly. Like with flags and camo you could easily be paying over $1 per match in consumables, which is ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of the Fir camo either.  They could have made a Fir camo that used the colors that would be apropos to Christmas trees, like a dark green, etc.  Heck, it could have been a full-on Christmas camo with Christmas lights and it might have still looked better.

As for WG overpricing their camo and special flags, I entirely agree.  30 special flags as contents of a single $5 Santa Box is far too few.  IMO, it should have been closer to 100, or at least 50.  30 seems weak to me.  (Don't remember if the $5 Santa Box camos came in groups of 30 or not.)  I don't mind getting special flags, but IMO WG really overprices their camos.

• Bad 1

[LHG]
Members
1,652 posts
4,918 battles

5 crates

100 signal flags (all useful)

2 Premium ships I did not already own (Okhotnik and Mutsu)

Consider me to be a happy camper!!!  :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,840 posts
1,327 battles

Too many boxes, probably spent more than I should, but I got it all back and more.  14 ships, and a 180-day premium.  Piles and piles of camo and flags and pennants.  Probably 15K doubloons.

Great value.  I made a profit in ships alone.  The 180-day premium, and the doubloons, camo, and flags/pennants were all gravy or profit, whichever you want to say it.

Ships: Mutsu; Atago; Kidd; Leningrad; Okhotnik; Scharnhorst; Tirpitz; Graf Spee; Gallant; Hood; De Grasse; Lo Yang; Anshan;  Perth;   

For a player who hadn't started a year ago, the 14 10 point captains are pretty damned valuable as well.  I don't have a pile of elite captain XP built up yet.

Edited by mavfin87

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

60 crates (mix of $1s and $3s) ... not a SINGLE f*cking premium. Just flags, camo and doubloons :(

This year was a f*cking ripoff for me personally, not wasting any more money on gamble crap.

• Cool 2

Members
82 posts
1,305 battles

Way, way happy!

i got a $20 pack of megas

3 ships!

Being a nub I thought I’d never see a Gremmy or Ohotness

Edited by Warspawned

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,146 battles

I have got 15 of the $3, 10 of the $1. 

For ships, I got Kii, Huang He and Admiral Graf Spee (no dupes), mostly Fir tree camos and 30K free xp. 

Not terrible!

[CK5]
Members
803 posts
6,555 battles

I bought a 20 Mega crate package and got four ships:  Gallant, Anshan, Arizona and Molotov.  The rest was an assortment of Dragon flags and camo.  Overall, I was happy with the value received.  

Members
82 posts
1,305 battles
1 minute ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I bought a 20 Mega crate package and got four ships:  Gallant, Anshan, Arizona and Molotov.

I just got a Gallant and Arizona too!!  Never even looked at them; meh or gudbotes?

(the 10 pt Captain is so awesome)

[CK5]
Members
803 posts
6,555 battles
4 minutes ago, Warspawned said:

I just got a Gallant and Arizona too!!  Never even looked at them; meh or gudbotes?

(the 10 pt Captain is so awesome)

The Arizona has not left port yet, but I read some previous reviews and BB players love it.  The Gallant seems to be a "good enough" boat.  I agree, the 10 point captains are nice additions.  

Members
82 posts
1,305 battles
1 minute ago, PrairiePlayer said:

The Arizona has not left port yet, but I read some previous reviews and BB players love it.  The Gallant seems to be a "good enough" boat.  I agree, the 10 point captains are nice additions.  

Awesomesauce!

I’ve only bought one ship without a captain and points.  Never ever again!  Lol...my poor Texas ...

what is is getting freaky fun here is ships in crates I’ve never seen in the shop!  I took this Ohotnik thingy out and Omfg

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,840 posts
1,327 battles
2 minutes ago, Warspawned said:

I’ve only bought one ship without a captain and points.  Never ever again!  Lol...my poor Texas ...

Now take those 10 point captains and put them in your current ship line(s) you're grinding.  You can toss them in the premiums, get the XP,  and then back into their 'registered' ship freely.  Double-dipping is one of the good things about premiums, at least for most ships.  My Perth is going to show up on the scene with a 10 point captain to play, since I can't move the captain anyway!

Members
82 posts
1,305 battles
9 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Now take those 10 point captains and put them in your current ship line(s) you're grinding.  You can toss them in the premiums, get the XP,  and then back into their 'registered' ship freely.  Double-dipping is one of the good things about premiums, at least for most ships.  My Perth is going to show up on the scene with a 10 point captain to play, since I can't move the captain anyway!

Yeah!  I’m new...never understood how to move commanders around for free!

now that they put in combine experience for captains I’ve got a couple of 19 point guys to play with...

(I’m totally joking about the combine thingy btw :Smile_glasses:)

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles
51 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

60 crates (mix of $1s and $3s) ... not a SINGLE f*cking premium. Just flags, camo and doubloons :(

This year was a f*cking ripoff for me personally, not wasting any more money on gamble crap.

Dude, honestly, with the sale on all the premium ships in the tech tree, plus the sale on doubloons that ended yesterday?  the day before?, it seemed like a better,  or at least, safer deal to just buy the doubloons and buy premiums in the tech tree, at least for the lower tier ones that had the biggest discounts.

I picked up both the Okhotnik and the Gulio Cesare at 50% off.  And the Hood for 30% off.  Maybe it doesn't have the lotto factor of getting them in the gift boxes, but it was an assured good deal.

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,725 battles
2 hours ago, w4spl3g said:

I bought 20 x Small (Gift), 40 x Medium (Big Gift) and 20 x Large (Mega Gift) crates which was about $200 total. I had almost 90K Dubloons left over from Halloween and spent over half of those on all of the now-available-for-dubloons premiums. Because of the way the crates pick ships (will not give you something under T5) I bought everything T5 and up to increase chances of getting rare ships which I did not own. I collected all of my results as they were opened (although these are not in order). These are the totals:

Ships (all came with 10 point captains including the duplicates):

Huanghe

Scharnhorst (I got 6650 dubloons, duplicate, already owned)

Okhotnik (1350 dubloons, duplicate, already owned)

Nikolai I

Kamikaze

Gremyaschy

Prinz Eugen

Dubloons:

9,300 from crates

10,700 from duplicate ships (you can see above the payouts are based on their current discounted store price)

Signal Flags:

200 x Zulu Hotel (+50% commander xp)

350 x Papa Papa (+300% free xp)

50 x Equal Speed Charlie London (+50% xp)

195 x Red Dragon Flag (+100% commander xp  / +100% xp)

135 x Hydra (+150% commander xp /  +250% FXP  / +50 xp)

60 x Ouroboros Flag (+777% FXP)

135 x Dragon Flag (+333% commander xp)

15 x Wyvern Flag (+50% credts)

Camos:

315 x Frosty Fir Camo (125% commander xp / 50% FXP / 100% xp)

45 x Type 59 (+200% xp)

Free XP:

Synopsis: Anecdotally, if you need/want normal signal flags buy the $1 small gifts. They're cheaper this way than they are in their normal form during the year in the store. I personally do not think the Special flags were ever worth what they were charging for them in the store and I never bought any, however if that's your thing, the Mega crates are mostly going to be Special flags and camos.

If you want Ships. Buy the Medium $3x (BIg Gift) boxes. Of all the ships I got, only 1 came from the Mega crates (Nikolai I) and 0 from the Small everything else came from the middle tier. When I bought dubloons in between major events like this I always bought the $100 for 25,000 which makes 250 dubloons = $1. Using that, I got $80 back in dubloons alone. The Huanghe I had 0 interest in and the Prinz Eugen was like 9k something dubloon price so that's over half my money back just with those.

I was mostly after the rare ships that can't be purchased any more and I've played them all and they're all awesome. I even bought the Rasputin skin for the Nikolai already :cap_happy:

After watching Flamu and NoZoup's crate videos I think I had worse than average luck with the Mega, better than average with Big, and average luck with Small gifts. Over all I think they were good, not amazing, but better than their normal store crates. Not as good as Halloween if all you want is dubloons, though, but good for ships.

YMMV. Merry Christmas!

Wish i could possibly do all you did without any obstacles irl:Smile_sad:

Going to cry in the corner now:Smile_sad:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year:Smile_great:

[4HIM]
Members
1,804 posts
4,072 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Dude, honestly, with the sale on all the premium ships in the tech tree, plus the sale on doubloons that ended yesterday?  the day before?, it seemed like a better,  or at least, safer deal to just buy the doubloons and buy premiums in the tech tree, at least for the lower tier ones that had the biggest discounts.

I picked up both the Okhotnik and the Gulio Cesare at 50% off.  And the Hood for 30% off.  Maybe it doesn't have the lotto factor of getting them in the gift boxes, but it was an assured good deal.

But if you get one from a crate you also get a 10 point captain. 

[H_]
Members
232 posts
7,227 battles

I bought the 20 pack of $5 boxes and the 20 pack of the 3 $ boxes..  I got 4 ships, Gallant, HuangHe, Scharnhorst, Oko whatever.. about 12k in doubloons and a ton of Fir tree camo and other hydra flag etc..  Value wise, getting the Scharnhorst made it for me, the extra dub's is a good thing and all the rest yeah I'm pretty sure I got a bit more out then what I put in. 

I didn't get Ships at the rate others did, luck of the draw I guess.  I would have like to get some premium time though.  May just may try one more 5 pack of the 3$ bundles.  :)

with the Extra dub's I'll probably get the Leningrad or another ship while they are on sale.

Camo always comes in handy, although the Hydra type flags I would have liked to get more of the General use flags, maybe I should buy a bunch of 1$ boxes :) 

Actually just planning on giving a 5 pack to one of my clan mates and maybe buying premium time and then I'm done.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,844 posts
10,629 battles

Last year's crates for me where just so-so. This year's crates have been a grand slam!!! I feel really bad for the few people who have not done well but I think it is clear that the majority receive far more in value back than the cost of the crates. I sure as heck have. WOW! 2 thumbs up to WG from me. :Smile_great::Smile_great:

I bought 1 crate of 20 $5 and then 2 crates of 20 $3 boxes (all at different times). I have done great in each set of 20. Especially this last set of 20 $3 boxes where I got FIVE Premium ships and 4k Doubloons.  So this is how it has played out for me in total...

Ships: (some will be sold as I have already or don't play that ship type but can always use the 10pt Capt and port slots so no complaints)

• Alabama
  • Atlanta
  • Scharnhorst
  • Giulio Cesare
  • Admiral Graf Spee ( I have an HSF so this seem like duplicate but guess not - will sell when sale ends so full value)
  • Mikhail Kutuzov
  • Duca D'Aosta
  • De Grasse
  • Gallant (will sell when sale ends so full value)
  • Okhotnik (will sell when sale ends so full value)

Doubloons:

• 2K = 1
  • 1K = 8

Premium Time:

• 180 Days

I also have got a lot of very good and very useful flags and camo's (those specialty flags are awesome - don't know why people say they suck?). For my investment of $171 US I would say I cleaned up! I wish that Graf Spee had been Belfast but that is only thing I would change.

Thank you WG!!!

Members
317 posts
5,572 battles

2 sets of 20 of the mid ($3) crates

Okhotnik

Leningrad

Gallant

Degrasse

Dunkirque

10K dubloons

15 ea red and gold dragon