You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
swampwater77

Question about PVP play from a PVE player.

14 comments in this topic

Members
67 posts
21,560 battles

I would like to play in random games, but I have a problem with communication ability which counts me out of joining a clan or div. My question is can I still play random without being able to communicate?

I have a health issue that has severely effected my ability to speak. Thus no voice coms are open to me. Thanks for any help or responses. 

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles

Sure. Just type whatever you want in chat, without being too ridiculous or salty about it. There are also clans that don't need voice communication as a requirement as well. You can be okay playing solo. I expect to break 50% win rate within a few months with some luck.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

For normal random play (as in, not ranked battles) you really don't need to say anything at all. Very few people will listen to what you say anyway, so it's usually most effective to watch your team, see what plan they seem to be going with (like which cap they're going to, or what flank they're pushing) and then decide based on your start location and type of ship you're playing if you want to go with them or not. 

Example: If I'm in a BB and I start near C cap and I see two DDs heading to take C I'll head there too to offer cover from outside the cap. If I'm in a gunship DD with good concealment and I start near a cap no one else is heading toward, I might decide to see if I can cap it myself with the plan to retreat if I meet overwhelming odds there. 

Edited by TTK_Aegis

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles

Also, be prepared to see this a lot:

You and maybe a couple allies are running away from a large portion of the red team.

You press F5, "Requesting support!"

Teammate on the opposite side of the map and sailing away: F4, "Wilco!"

• Funny 2

[CK5]
Members
808 posts
6,608 battles

I play almost exclusively Random matches and rarely division.  I also communicate just fine by typing in chat.  Actually, there are advantages to staying off chat altogether and just paying attention to the mini-map to follow match progress.  

Members
67 posts
21,560 battles

Cool deal. Thank you all for the info. I am quite experienced in coop but I also understand that PVP is a different animal. I will start in random after the first of the year. So thanks again and look forward to seeing all soon.

[SF-A]
Members
2,902 posts
5,722 battles

You'll acclimate well. PVE really lets you know the strengths of your ship, so you can put them to good use in PVP.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,885 posts
11,604 battles

For PvP, there really isn't much communication, and it's basically all text chat.

Voice coms are really only a thing for divs and clans. Even then, being able to listen is usually more important than being able to talk.

• Cool 1

[TF16]
Members
826 posts
5,139 battles
26 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

You and maybe a couple allies are running away from a large portion of the red team.

Well, I do that.  :cap_cool:

But I usually do that if A) I'm sailing to meet them.  or B) I'm in a CV and planes are on the way/will be.

Edited by Sock5

Members
141 posts
3,686 battles

Division comm channels are very limited.
  Recommend pasting a Discord link in-game.
  Also in your forum Profile | Website URL, you can paste a Discord link for comms.

Edited by Corpen_November

[NGA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,274 posts
3,525 battles

You can still join a clan. Use comms withoutnspeaking. You can still listen and work as a team.

[LHG]
Members
1,659 posts
4,932 battles
1 hour ago, swampwater77 said:

I would like to play in random games, but I have a problem with communication ability which counts me out of joining a clan or div. My question is can I still play random without being able to communicate?

I have a health issue that has severely effected my ability to speak. Thus no voice coms are open to me. Thanks for any help or responses. 

Yes you can. 

In a normal random battle, it's fairly uncommon for there to be a great deal of useful communication in chat.  Sometimes someone will propose a plan like A B specifying an objective but even that is somewhat uncommon.  

What does happen is a lot like reading body language.  You watch what the other ships on your side are make some assumptions about what they are planning on doing, you then make your own decision about what you are going to do to help win the battle.  

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,725 battles
2 hours ago, warpath_33 said:

That is a common situation in this bloody boat game..i found it was funny and depressing at the same time LOL!

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles

Just wanted to add that I have never played as part of a division and I'm not spectacular at the game by any stretch of the imagination, but my stats are still what I'd consider to be "good" and I still have fun playing PVP.  In all honesty, and especially at the low tiers, PVP isn't that much harder than PVE.  The biggest difference you'll have to adjust to is not being able to "lone wolf" it against 3-4 enemy ships...just keep some friendlies nearby, pay attention to the minimap, and have fun!

Good luck to ya!

• Cool 1