Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

How is Base XP calculated?

17 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
6,487 posts
2,439 battles

This seems to be the one topic that WG doesn't describe or discuss.  The Wiki contains some formulas about how Base XP is modified, but not how it is calculated in the first place.

I ask because I can't get a handle on it.  I have a good game, maybe kill a few ships and get 1200 XP (okay, 800 +50%).  I have another good game, maybe kill a few ships, I get 360 XP.   So what's the deal?  It doesn't seem to correlate well to damage done...

[PVE]
Members
5,681 posts
18,265 battles

If I remember right, some of it depends on what kind of ship you damage. Say if you cause 10k damage to a BB and that is 25% of its hps, that would not score as high as say 10k damage to a cruiser where it is say 85% of its hps... It is one of the reasons you may farm 60k damage on ships in two matches with the same ship and have different base xp scores (assuming everything else is equal). Hopefully someone better informed can state it better than I.

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,850 posts
13,862 battles

Everything you do in game generates an Exp amount or multiplies that amount. Remember WG considers this kind of information private and won't share if for business reasons. Most of what we know is based on guesses, some second hand information, voodoo, an over heard conversation between a captain and a mystic in a bar, a magical 8 ball and a translated document a highly trained team of corporate spies stole and uploaded to reddit. 

So here is some of what we knows gives exp. Do damage but doing damage to ships of higher tier generates more exp than the same amount of damage to a lower tier ship. 10K damage to a DD is worth more than 10k to a BB because you took a larger percentage of the DDs HP than of the BBs HP. Shooting down planes gives some. Capturing bases gives a lot but cap resets not as much. Damage done because of your spotting gives a little. Tanking damage might give a bit but the Magic 8 ball won't give an answer. Sailing around and dying before you do any damage gets some pity exp. 

Wait I've just been informed the stolen document was from a different game company and it only covered in office use of the vending machines. 

Guess I'll have to fall back on my standard response to these kinds of questions. 

JfuepMb.gif

• Cool 2

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,133 posts
7,662 battles

I wrote a whole article on what we do and do not know so far.

The Root of all Evil
Here's a rough guide on how experience and credits are earned in World of Warships.  This was taken from "The Root of All Evil", a document Wargaming circulated early on in the game's release.  The values here may not be exact as things were modified with the economy change in 0.5.12.

• For Damage, you're awarded by the percentage of a ship's hit points you remove, not the amount of raw damage done.  Thus, 10,000 damage done to a destroyer is worth more than 10,000 damage done to a battleship.  This scales depending on the tier disparity between ships.  You earn more for damaging a higher tiered ship than you would a lower tiered ship.
  • Frags award the equivalent of doing 15% of the ship's hit points in damage.  Sinking enemy ships is important and awarded accordingly.
  • Shooting down Aircraft also provides rewards.  Shooting down 40 aircraft rewards roughly the same amount as removing 100% of the hit points of a similar tiered ship.
  • The more Base Capture and Base Defense points you earn, the better.
  • Rewards do not scale linearly.  As an example, if you destroy one cruiser you get one whole pie. Two destroyed cruisers bring about one whole pie and one more with a bite taken out of it. Should you destroy three cruisers, two whole pies will be the reward.
  • Rewards scale with tiers. For XP, a two-fold difference is possible between Tiers I and X. For credits, the difference may be even bigger.
  • We do not yet know how damage tanking affects experience and credit earnings.
  • Detecting a ship that has not been seen for at least 30 seconds rewards:
    CV receive 0.75% of XP/Credits for full HP damage to a ship.
    BB receive 1.50% of XP/Credits for full HP damage to a ship.
    DD receive 2.00% of XP/Credits for full HP damage to a ship.
    CA receive 3.25% of XP/Credits for full HP damage to a ship.
  • Spotting a ship which gets damaged by your allies gives the following:
    BB receives approximately 10% of the reward for full HP damage to a spotted ship.
    CV receives approximately 20% of the reward for full HP damage to a spotted ship.
    CA receives approximately 30% of the reward for full HP damage to a spotted ship.
    DD receives approximately 40% of the reward for full HP damage to a spotted ship.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
6,487 posts
2,439 battles

Thanks guys.

Mousie, if there's a full article, might you provide a link?

[PVE]
Members
5,681 posts
18,265 battles
9 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Thanks guys.

Mousie, if there's a full article, might you provide a link?

Here ya go Duck:

• Cool 1

[VFW]
Members
942 posts
21,284 battles

Great information for all players to know!   If more tried to maximize these areas than basic objective play would improve for a given player.

vr,

[ICE9]
Members
848 posts
On 12/22/2017 at 2:33 AM, iDuckman said:

This seems to be the one topic that WG doesn't describe or discuss.  The Wiki contains some formulas about how Base XP is modified, but not how it is calculated in the first place.

I ask because I can't get a handle on it.  I have a good game, maybe kill a few ships and get 1200 XP (okay, 800 +50%).  I have another good game, maybe kill a few ships, I get 360 XP.   So what's the deal?  It doesn't seem to correlate well to damage done...

Rumor has it that certain Wargaming formulas, like game XP, gunfire RNG, and MM involve the moon phase, quantum uncertainty, and ancient Varangian witchcraft.

• Funny 1

[MHG]
Members
57 posts
13,276 battles
5 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

So according to that article murdering cruisers gives the most exp......

Read it again, that's not what it says.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,487 posts
2,439 battles
On 12/22/2017 at 2:31 AM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

For Damage, you're awarded by the percentage of a ship's hit points you remove, not the amount of raw damage done.  Thus, 10,000 damage done to a destroyer is worth more than 10,000 damage done to a battleship.

One wonders why the DD Yakuza isn't climbing the walls about the unfairness of it all.

Members
568 posts
2,102 battles
1 hour ago, CuriousShadow said:

Read it again, that's not what it says.

Ahh I misread it indeed. But if I am rereading correctly cruisers receive more spotting exp than dds do.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,432 posts
4,302 battles

The actual equations, however, are secret... and consequences of Lovecraftian proportions await anyone outside the Inner Circle who might happen to view them. :cap_haloween:

[PCPC]
Members
1 post
2,435 battles

I suspect they modify it based on game results over time...probably not a static value. I suspect curve based on wanting to see different results. I have seen some game where I do a wild amount and ribbons and a few ribbons and get similar scores.

Edited by chuckrman_blue
Cllarification

Sign in to follow this