Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeckUp_HullDown

cAPS lOCK. Sry.

17 comments in this topic

[CRUEL]
Members
153 posts
13,153 battles

So many times in the heat of the battle switching to chat, after pressing enter, I read the chat on the left and realize that the caps-lock on the keyboard was activated in the heat of the moment.

Most of us that have a gaming keyboard, have a, 'Windows Key-Lock'.  Windows Key is so far away from the game action, yet the caps-lock is trying to hone in on my WASD Hack.

I am tired of typing to apologise for my Caps-lock key being activated accidentally.

Can somone in the gaming world please make a keyboard with a Caps-Lock-Lock.  Be nice if WG made it first, nice big Texas logo on the Keyboard.  I am poor but would buy that Keyboard. 

Anyone else hate the Caps-Lock Key?

Edit:  The Texas Logo was to support the preservation of the 'Texas'.

Buy that keyboard next payday.

Edited by Baldassare
Texas Preservation
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles

I use the Number Pad(southpaw mouse user) as the square nature of it is far more intuitive to me than offset keys surrounded by many other I'll accidentally depress.

Enter the NumPad [ENTER] key. I've ripped a few off in my time. I have no use for them and if I bind to it - yea still activates chat.

A random message in Caps is better than "8888888888844444444445555555666666666"(my WASD) being spammed in chat - What's worse? CAPS or heat of the moment wondering "wth!!?! Why is ship not responding!!!??".

A msg in CAPS is no big deal. Fairly obvious when it's a mistake.  At least it won't wrest control of your ship from you, make you panic and sometimes get you sunk.

• Cool 1

[CRUEL]
Members
153 posts
13,153 battles

Ha, a left paw in the world, batting, writing, but my teacher of the computer world had everything right paw, the mouse.  Left handed can control both sides easily (of topic).

Edit:  Scientifically proven the left hand of the mind controls the right side of the body and visa-versa.  that makes left handed people the only people in thier right mind. lol. W A S D

Edited by Baldassare
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles

I write lefty and that's it! Otherwise I was brought up the "Right way". Left hand still dominates, as it learns everything, then trains right hand - which ends up being more proficient at x task/action. Kind of weird.

Anyway trained my left hand to mouse ages ago(wasd zone sucks) - Though there have been awkward moments - One in particular stands out:

Part of our Medic/68W training was to be EMT certified. Day of the NREMT test we file in to the computer filled exam room. "Don't touch anything" we're told as the test monitors get everyone situated. Once we're settled they begin telling us to enter our name and pw.

Well the very FIRST thing I do is swap the mouse to the left side and shift the keyboard to the right some. This caused quite a stir for some reason and not a little bit of suspicion that it may be some cheating tactic/method they haven't come across yet. Probably messed with some dress right dress code / uniformity thing. Alas..

When asked if it was necessary("Why you moving the mouse!?" "Can he do that?" "etc") to move my mouse I simply replied: "If this was a written exam would there be a problem with me using the hand with which I WRITE? ie Left..." - Yup! I did 100 push ups after the test for my "Attitude".:Smile_hiding:

[CRUEL]
Members
153 posts
13,153 battles

Damn lucky I didn't have superiority over that [edited].  lol (left yourself open for this one).

4 minutes ago, Zyu said:

Though there have been awkward moments - One in particular stands out

Honestly, that is exactly how it should be.  Do what is comfortable to you.  The boss in the chair at home don't have live fire raining down on him.

[TMS]
Members
1,735 posts
22,088 battles

Used to caps lock in game all the time as that was my AP key, now i have a new gaming keypad i just remap that key to something else.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,409 posts
9,573 battles

Caps lock is not so bad.

The one control I had to disable is by far the most annoying - game destroying- button in the game.

That's the 'FIRE AND FOLLOW SHELL' function attached to the zoom-wheel of the mouse.

I had lost more matches because of the stupid location of that. -- Especially in an Atlanta where the shell flight times are measured on a Calendar.

Go to options.  Controls.  Right side.   Scroll down to 'Fire and Follow' and blank that thing out.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
597 posts
9,402 battles
6 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Caps lock is not so bad.

The one control I had to disable is by far the most annoying - game destroying- button in the game.

That's the 'FIRE AND FOLLOW SHELL' function attached to the zoom-wheel of the mouse.

I had lost more matches because of the stupid location of that. -- Especially in an Atlanta where the shell flight times are measured on a Calendar.

Go to options.  Controls.  Right side.   Scroll down to 'Fire and Follow' and blank that thing out.

Wait, you can measure the time it takes for Atlanta's shells to hit THAT quickly? :Smile_amazed:  I've always though the shells I see landing in a match today, where ones I fired during my time in CBT...:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles

Caps lock does kinda drive me nuts since I am not a touch typist.  I am lefty but I can't mouse left handed as I want my left hand to be free to write, pick up the phone, look/flip thru notes.

[PSP]
Members
6,277 posts
8,908 battles

Many people don't believe this, as I was a researcher and college professor, but in high school I had a terrible typing teacher and thus never learned to touch type. I can type fairly well while looking at my fingers but if I have to type rapidly, as in chat, I usually come across like a ten year old who is just learning to type.

That said, there are free utilities available to turn the caps-lock key off. Back in the early days when legal documents and programming code used all caps it was useful but nowadays it's mostly a useless annoyance. In some other games I've got it programmed as a function key.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-caps-lock-key-in-windows-vista/

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles
11 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Many people don't believe this, as I was a researcher and college professor, but in high school I had a terrible typing teacher and thus never learned to touch type. I can type fairly well while looking at my fingers but if I have to type rapidly, as in chat, I usually come across like a ten year old who is lust learning to type.

Yup, me too. My stock phrase is, "Sorry, I type like a chimp."

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles

Many people don't believe this, as I was a researcher and college professor,

IT professional and self taught typing - never took a typing class.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,409 posts
9,573 battles

For a brief period in the early 1980s, there was an attempt by insane programmers to force the Dvorak keyboard on us.

Resistance is not futile.  Weirdos quickly went bankrupt back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

[PSP]
Members
6,277 posts
8,908 battles
17 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

For a brief period in the early 1980s, there was an attempt by insane programmers to force the Dvorak keyboard on us.

Resistance is not futile.  Weirdos quickly went bankrupt back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

I had a cousin who learned the Dvorak keyboard and would remap the keyboards at work so that he could use it, until he forgot to map one back and his boss had a word with him.

The carefully controlled study failed to show any benefit to the Dvorak keyboard layout in typing or training speed. Strong recommended speed training with QWERTY rather than switching keyboards, and attributed the previous apparent benefits of Dvorak to improper experimental design and outright bias on the part of Dvorak

Edited by Snargfargle

[TAFY3]
Members
353 posts
7,337 battles
8 hours ago, Stonehammers said:

I've definitely typed "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" a few times in chat whist trying to turn full over port. :Smile_teethhappy:

OMG, this happens to me all the time. 

I hear the torpedo alert, I see them and turn into them hard to port.  My ship doesn't turn.  I eat the full spread.  My chat window has "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".

• Funny 2

[CRUEL]
Members
153 posts
13,153 battles
21 hours ago, Final8ty said:

Used to caps lock in game all the time as that was my AP key, now i have a new gaming keypad i just remap that key to something else.

Good idea.  I like the next help better.

17 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Many people don't believe this, as I was a researcher and college professor, but in high school I had a terrible typing teacher and thus never learned to touch type. I can type fairly well while looking at my fingers but if I have to type rapidly, as in chat, I usually come across like a ten year old who is just learning to type.

That said, there are free utilities available to turn the caps-lock key off. Back in the early days when legal documents and programming code used all caps it was useful but nowadays it's mostly a useless annoyance. In some other games I've got it programmed as a function key.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-caps-lock-key-in-windows-vista/

Thanks for the link.  Caps-Lock disabled permanently.  Kept a not of the registry key on my cloud, just in case I need it (Caps-Lock) in another program. Thanks

Edit: Like all registry entries, a reboot is necessary. 

14 hours ago, driedjello said:

OMG, this happens to me all the time. 

I hear the torpedo alert, I see them and turn into them hard to port.  My ship doesn't turn.  I eat the full spread.  My chat window has "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".

Guilty. lol

I still like the idea of a Texas Gaming Keyboard.  The Ship Texas image spans the whole gaming keyboard and keys.  Don't forget the key lighting.  So I can save electricity and game in the dark.

Edited by Baldassare

Sign in to follow this