You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KurganSPK

Are Santa Crate Fair to Those that Buy During the Year?

31 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
848 posts
8,208 battles

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for those that scored deals. It's just that I'm one of those "whales" I guess that buys lots of stuff during the year - I have most of the top prems and am just missing a couple.. bought ton of the crates and didn't get any ships, 'cept a couple low tier. I know it's random and whutnut but your odds of scoring a higher tier ship seem to go way down if you already have most of the high tier prems in your collection? Not salty about it... I knew what I was getting into when I clicked buy, just raising the question - seems we should have better odds of scoring a ship we already have so at least we get gold out of it? feel like a bit of a chump for buying stuff outright when someone drops 20 bucks at the end of the year and scores all the premiums I paid up for... or should I just go have another beer?

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Your account looks to be old enough for you to be familiar with Santa Crates. If you have all of the information, and make a decision, how would it not be fair?

• Cool 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles

I say it's fair. If you're one who buys the ultimate bundles, then you get a "rare" decorative flag, Premium Time, and whatever else comes with the bundle besides the ship. With santa crates, all you will ever get are a CHANCE of ships, and all the other extras, per crate.

On the other hand, if all you've been buying is mainly the vanilla ship+port slot options, then yeah, Santa Crates are a better option. Granted, one runs the risk of not getting any ships from the Santa crates. There's also the risk of missing out on certain one-time only ships or experimentals (Belfast/Kutuzov for the former, Graf Zeppelin and her exclusive "Founder's" Camouflage for the latter), in addition to missing out on things like event camouflage (Kobayashi camo) and flags (all the special flags).

Of course, one may get lucky and get the 1k Doubloon Flag offer in-game, but that one seems rare.

Beta Testers
848 posts
8,208 battles
12 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Your account looks to be old enough for you to be familiar with Santa Crates. If you have all of the information, and make a decision, how would it not be fair?

whether I bought the crates or not really doesn't impact the question - seems silly to reward those that don't buy ships much with lots of cheap ones at the end of the year... while making loyal customers that bought early and often feel like a bit of a chump. But I'll shut up now, don't want to rain on the parade. At least any more... 

Beta Testers
848 posts
8,208 battles
9 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

I say it's fair. If you're one who buys the ultimate bundles, then you get a "rare" decorative flag, Premium Time, and whatever else comes with the bundle besides the ship. With santa crates, all you will ever get are a CHANCE of ships, and all the other extras, per crate.

On the other hand, if all you've been buying is mainly the vanilla ship+port slot options, then yeah, Santa Crates are a better option. Granted, one runs the risk of not getting any ships from the Santa crates. There's also the risk of missing out on certain one-time only ships or experimentals (Belfast/Kutuzov for the former, Graf Zeppelin and her exclusive "Founder's" Camouflage for the latter), in addition to missing out on things like event camouflage (Kobayashi camo) and flags (all the special flags).

Of course, one may get lucky and get the 1k Doubloon Flag offer in-game, but that one seems rare.

what's this 1k doubloon offer thing you refer too? And I never buy the ultimate bundles... and I get the "chance" element it's just that the chances seem to go way down the more ships you already own for scoring anything decent...

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
32 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for those that scored deals. It's just that I'm one of those "whales" I guess that buys lots of stuff during the year - I have most of the top prems and am just missing a couple.. bought ton of the crates and didn't get any ships, 'cept a couple low tier. I know it's random and whutnut but your odds of scoring a higher tier ship seem to go way down if you already have most of the high tier prems in your collection? Not salty about it... I knew what I was getting into when I clicked buy, just raising the question - seems we should have better odds of scoring a ship we already have so at least we get gold out of it? feel like a bit of a chump for buying stuff outright when someone drops 20 bucks at the end of the year and scores all the premiums I paid up for... or should I just go have another beer?

I find it fair the ships i bought for full cost have given me 10x the fun i paid.

• Cool 1

Members
1,866 posts
47 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

You got some premiums. A few lucky people will get the really good ones, but not many. It's gambling, most will be like you if they spend a lot, get some mehboats. We're fortunate enough to be able to buy what we want, consider those who struggle to buy even one new shiny boat. I'm never very lucky with these, but I have plenty of ships to play, so camos and flags are OK.

[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,953 battles

It's not that it's balanced against you to get lower tier premiums if you have the high tier ones.

Spoiler

$1 Crate possibles

De grasse

Mutsu

3$ crate possibilities

Okhotnik

Leningrad

Sharnhorst

5$ crate possibilities

Gallant

Lo yang

Alabama

Once you exhaust all the premium ship possibilities from your crate option, it will start to pull from the next highest crate, then the next, and then just a master list of premiums that are available.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,400 battles

Ghostdog advise being happy with gifts. Smile and have a beer. Tomorrow go shoot and sink everyone. Merry Christmas. Don't torp the green guys. How ever dumb they may be they are on your side.

th?id=OIP.snZDea5frouZtuZIXYIUBwHaHa&pidGhost Dog | Meme on me.me

Members
1,864 posts
8,920 battles
1 hour ago, KurganSPK said:

If it makes you feel better a lot of people got screwed over by Santa Crates.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles
44 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

what's this 1k doubloon offer thing you refer too? And I never buy the ultimate bundles... and I get the "chance" element it's just that the chances seem to go way down the more ships you already own for scoring anything decent...

Some players in the past have reported randomly getting an in-game offer for a Flag of a particular Premium ship they owned after a match. Out of the blue. It cost around 1k-2k doubloons and was only available for a set amount of time, but buying it unlocked a personal mission to earn the Flag after a few games (I assume it required use of the Premium ship in question).

I myself have never gotten such an offer, so I cannot say what it exactly entails. Just going off what was previously posted here on the forums. I do think it's part of the personalized offer system they set up a while back.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
848 posts
8,208 battles
3 hours ago, YamatoA150 said:

Some players in the past have reported randomly getting an in-game offer for a Flag of a particular Premium ship they owned after a match. Out of the blue. It cost around 1k-2k doubloons and was only available for a set amount of time, but buying it unlocked a personal mission to earn the Flag after a few games (I assume it required use of the Premium ship in question).

I myself have never gotten such an offer, so I cannot say what it exactly entails. Just going off what was previously posted here on the forums. I do think it's part of the personalized offer system they set up a while back.

thanks for the info!

Beta Testers
848 posts
8,208 battles
3 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

If it makes you feel better a lot of people got screwed over by Santa Crates.

Not really but thanks, I guess ;-) I did get a load of very useful flags for grinding ships though... so that's a plus. 

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles

I'm not worried about fairness as much as my foolishness for not waiting like I knew I should.

There's always next year - plenty of time to make impulsive purchases randomly and regret not waiting when the Black Friday/Holiday Sales etc come around.

[PVE]
Members
5,622 posts
18,220 battles

As someone who buys stuff when I feel like it or when it is offered in bundles I find to be a good value, the crates don't bother me any. It in no way diminishes my enjoyment of the game or my gaming experience. They are gambling, some will win, some will lose but am happy for those who get something unexpected like a ship I may have paid full price for. I sometimes get a twinge of jealousy if someone said they bought a single $1 box and it had a ship in it I paid $30 or $40 for. I think that is human nature but don't hold it against the purchaser or against Wargaming for offering it as a prize. Jealousy, envy, greed, etc are all human qualities we all share to one degree or another so it is pretty normal when you feel that way. Now if I went berserk and started berating the winners or Wargaming for offering the prize, that is probably not so normal. The exception to this would be for someone playing ranked battles. A bit of insanity is common during the season...

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles

I've opened a few and only got camo. Odds of a ship seem to be really quite low, it's a gamble, compared to just buying the ship you want and having a 100% chance of getting it so seems fair. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,587 posts
25,725 battles

Speaking as a fellow whale, sounds totally fair to me. Nobody holds a gun to our heads and says "buy stuff". 

Besides, we make it possible for thousands of people to enjoy this game year round. W/O year round cash flow WG can't pay its debts, employees, and monthly expenses, and maintain a line of credit. So, raise a glass to yourself, because you are helping everyone in this community. 

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,930 battles

Christmas is a special time. Aside from the true, religious meaning of the holy day, giving and receiving gifts is the hallmark. Why feel slighted if better crates/boxes are available now? If you've been in the game for a year you knew this was coming.

During the year you buy the things you need at that moment. Christmas is the time to get the things you might like to have. As long as the value exceeds the cost of the boxes it is a year-end deal.

This YouTube video by  NoZoupForYou is a good guide as to the quality of the boxes and the $ value of the contents: 

Edited by Willy55_1955

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,004 posts
13,702 battles

I look at it this way, when you buy during the year you are paying more than someone who gets a great deal from the Santa Crates (If their gamble pays off). What you are getting that they do not is the ability to pick exactly what you want and get it when you want it.

You pay a premium for that, the only question is do you feel it is worth it? 

So go have a beer you've earned it!

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,209 posts
7,381 battles
10 hours ago, KurganSPK said:

The odds are higher for the ships listed under each crate type first.  Once those are exhausted, it moves to the next higher crate type.  For crates dropping ships as a whole, if you don't have a lot of low tier ships but are only missing a few high tier ships, your odds of getting a low tier ship are much greater just because each ship is equally likely to drop.  Eg;  missing 18 low tier ships and only missing 2 high tier ships would result in only a 10% chance of dropping a high tier ship, if a crate roll came up with a ship.  If you want to increase your odds of dropping a high tier ship, purchase the lower tier ones to get them out of the roll, or just purchase the high tier one you want to begin with and say to heck with the crates and their random luck.

Last year was the measuring stick that everyone is comparing to.  Lots of players that normally wouldn't have purchased a lot of ships or a lot of stuff did in fact make some big purchases.  I fall into that category.  I personally don't place value on camo and flags.  They are nice to have for the gains they provide, but my ships still operate the same in the game without them.  They do not improve my game, which is the way it should be.  Ships that I purchase or win have a direct impact on the game.  I cannot play a premium ship unless I win it or purchase it.  That has a dollar value attached to it.  Some ships are more valuable than others, especially when you factor in some that you would never buy.  You can also make the argument for doubloons because they can buy ships, or premium time because it is not a one time use.  So, when I buy crates, if the dollar value of ships, doubloons, or premium time is not there, its a disappointment.  I don't begrudge any other player for getting a ton of neat stuff.  That's the way crates should be.  I congratulate them.   I see this year's santa crates as a lot of fluff to make them look valuable.  If you placed a polished turd in the premium shop and put a big price tag on it, it still doesn't make the santa crate it came in worth anything.

For people getting santa crates containing a lot of great ships at much less cost, it can make the people who bought the ships at full price a bit jealous or perhaps they feel they got taken advantage of.  However, those that paid full price got to play with the ship for quite a while when others did not.  Think of the crates as an end of year sale, except you can't select the item you purchase, so you end up buying more than you normally would in hopes of getting what you want.  In the end, the value of the items they wanted or hoped to get should be less than the full price they originally cost.  

Unfortunately this year, the value doesn't seem to be there this year.  

Members
23 posts
10,382 battles

Yes, it is absolutely fair ! 

I too am a whale, I am fortunate and have a good solid income and I am happy to be able to help keep the game free and a form of escape for those trying to get to the top. 

Thriughout the year I always pick up the cheaper ships. $40-$60 bundles. That way, all that is left is fir me to get the spendy ones from the crates. This year I had the Hood, Kii and De Grasse to fill out my collection. 40 x $3 crates and I had them all again.

This is how you can do both, be a whale and take advantage of the Christmas crates. 

[TAFY3]
[TAFY3]
Beta Testers
431 posts
6,152 battles

I choose to support this game throughout the year.  I'd rather be able to play with a new ship once every couple months than get a dozen new ships over a holiday.  Complain all you want about paying full price versus Santa crates, but you chose to buy a Premium ship, Doubloons, or Premium time at full price.  If you wanted to pay less you should have waited for a sale.  You deserve NOTHING!