Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
skyman100

NC or Tirpitz for ranked?

35 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
84 posts
2,094 battles

I know the NC is better but here is my issue. I have more battles in the Tirpitz than any other ship and have a 60% WR in it. I am currently on the Colorado on the USN line. Should I grind to the NC and grind the mods for it and then use that in ranked or should I use the Tirpitz?

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,409 battles

If you got time to make that grind, it's not gonna hurt. If you do that well with the Tirpitz, you'll definitely make it far in ranked with it. But at the high ranked you might want options. There's not a whole lot a brawling done in ranked unfortunately. I'm planning on finishing my Amagi and NC grinds in ranked, then switching over to the Hipper after being inspired by the ranking out in a pensacola video.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
561 posts
3,468 battles

NC is more resistant to CV strikes than the Tirpz, and I think there may be more CVs in ranked this season. I'm with Ju87 on the "it's good to have options" opinion. I unfortunately don't have the NC so I will be using the Tirpz, which I think will still be a good option. All in all I'll have the New Orleans, Tirpitz, and Shokaku for ranked this season.

Members
2,594 posts
12,485 battles
11 minutes ago, skyman100 said:

I know the NC is better but here is my issue. I have more battles in the Tirpitz than any other ship and have a 60% WR in it. I am currently on the Colorado on the USN line. Should I grind to the NC and grind the mods for it and then use that in ranked or should I use the Tirpitz?

The NC is only stronger if it has support. 1 v 1 I'll take the Tirpitz over the NC everyday. the Cv play dwindles so fast you wont see them after the first week. After that bring the one man band and profit!

See the source image

[TFLT]
Members
102 posts
2,720 battles

An Alabama is always a good choice. I don't know if you have one, but it's similar to the NC and probably one of my best performing BB's.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,419 battles

If you get up to the NC move your highest point captain in her. Don't want a rookie captain in there. Ranked is fast and furious. Don't brawl unless it's the last option. Staying alive is the main point. Main goal there. You don't die a hero here. Leave yourself an escape route always. Pick your shots and make them count. Good luck.

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
756 posts
6,982 battles

The proposed ranked rewards are so MEH this year, I don't know why anyone would bother with it unless they have vested rank 1 placements and are going for the reward ship this year.

Just my .02 cents...

Edited by Thraxian

Beta Testers
84 posts
2,094 battles
Just now, Thraxian said:

The proposed ranked rewards are so MEH this year, I don't know why anyone would bother with it unless they have vested wins and are going for the reward ship this year.

Just my .02 cents...

For me its just something to do tbh

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,634 battles

The better ship is the one you are better at, not the one other ppl say is better.

If you fear CV games, try to only queue when there is no CV. There are not many CV players around.

Edited by Exciton8964

[AXANR]
Members
3,370 posts
16,677 battles
48 minutes ago, skyman100 said:

I vastly prefer the NorCar and I think it will be a stronger ship overall this season, but I think it's more important to bring the ship you're comfortable with. NC plays very different than any USN ship before her. She takes time to adjust to. While NC may be a slightly better ship for the ranked meta in a vacuum, if you're new to NC and you're very good in Tirpitz, you personally will do better in Tirpitz than NC. 

Tirpitz will still do VERY well in ranked when a good player drives her who plays to the strengths of the ship. Player > ship. You will contribute more with a skilled captain and fully kitted-out ship that you're comfortable with and know how to play well then you will with a brand-new ship that you're still learning how to play and may not have a high-level captain or have all the mods and upgrades installed yet. 

And sometimes the meta changes, or you just find what works, regardless of the 'common wisdom'. : Last season, I tried to make Farragut work because she's my best ship and I had success with her in ranked several seasons ago, but I was making no progress. I tried Shinonome and Hatsuharu because a lot of people on forums and youtube recommended them and I'm decent in them, but I couldn't make them work. Well, last four days of Ranked, I'm still at Rank 10 (super busy at work so didn't play as much early on as I usually do), and on a whim I try out Gallant, because I'd done really well with her in randoms and figured I might as well try something different even though everyone said Gallant wouldn't work well in randoms. And I rocked it; was carrying teams right and left. Ended up at Rank 7 and probably would have ranked out had I switched to her earlier; I just ran out of time. Moral of the story: pay attention to what people say about what ships to use, but don't be afraid to try out what works for you.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
543 posts
2,973 battles
5 minutes ago, Thraxian said:

The proposed ranked rewards are so MEH this year, I don't know why anyone would bother with it unless they have vested rank 1 placements and are going for the reward ship this year.

Just my .02 cents...

usually they give more captain EXP so if you are working on another captain you can use ranked to get it upfast

[AXANR]
Members
3,370 posts
16,677 battles
5 minutes ago, Fog_Battlecruiser_Haruna said:

usually they give more captain EXP so if you are working on another captain you can use ranked to get it upfast

Everyone who's not this guy: Please dont follow this advice. Ranked is competitive. Bring your best ships and best captains. Don't screw over your teammates playing for any other reason than to win, and bring your A game. If you want to grind ships or captains or just derp, go to randoms or co-op.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles

If you run Tirpitz or Bismarck, you run the risk of getting eaten by a wild Enterprise.

Meanwhile North Carolina will chew up tier 7 planes like nothing else.

Food for thought.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
1 minute ago, AraAragami said:

If you run Tirpitz or Bismarck, you run the risk of getting eaten by a wild Enterprise.

Food for thought.

What are you going to play?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
Just now, Elegant_Winter said:

What are you going to play?

I'm going to play Akizuki, Kutuzov, and Atago until rank 12 for my port flag and then quit because Ranked past there is only interested in wasting my time.

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
6 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

I'm going to play Akizuki, Kutuzov, and Atago until rank 12 for my port flag and then quit because Ranked past there is only interested in wasting my time.

Nice. I hope I run into you.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles

Play what you are best at.  I love my Tirpitz but I'm better off with Alabama.  Also, NC & Alabama are not reliant on having to be in 11.3km or less to be any good.  The fabulous AA will also be useful because I expect a larger showing of Tier VIII CVs than what we saw in Tier VI Ranked.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,734 posts
8,298 battles

Personally I will play Akizuki as a DD, Charles Martel as a CA and Bismarck as a BB. 

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,941 battles

North Carolina all the way. Bigger, more accurate guns, more guns (9 vs 8), great AA, great close-in brawler. It has a 90 foot tighter turning radius and has better surface/air detectability than Tirpitz. Slower by Tirpitz stock but I get over 28 kts out of it compared to Tirpitz 31 kts. 2 km greater main gun range and slightly less dispersion than Tirpitz. AP: 13100 NC, 11600 Tirp;   HE:5700, NC 4400 Tirp.

Bottom line: I'll see you first, reach out to touch you first, with higher damage AP and out turn you in a close in brawl.  I'll take a North Carolina over a Tirpitz any day in Ranked.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
2 hours ago, Willy55_1955 said:

North Carolina all the way. Bigger, more accurate guns, more guns (9 vs 8), great AA, great close-in brawler. It has a 90 foot tighter turning radius and has better surface/air detectability than Tirpitz. Slower by Tirpitz stock but I get over 28 kts out of it compared to Tirpitz 31 kts. 2 km greater main gun range and slightly less dispersion than Tirpitz. AP: 13100 NC, 11600 Tirp;   HE:5700, NC 4400 Tirp.

Bottom line: I'll see you first, reach out to touch you first, with higher damage AP and out turn you in a close in brawl.  I'll take a North Carolina over a Tirpitz any day in Ranked.

I'd rather have Tirpitz. Ranked ends up in a lot more brawls for BBs and Tirpitz has a lot more TDS than NC. I have both but in brawls, NC is simply outmatched.

[TBOW]
Members
1,253 posts
10,709 battles

I'll be Rocking the Tirpitz, if it turns into a sniping then I will switch over to the Bama and Kutuzov.  Might even rock the Enterprise if I need a change of pace.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
10 hours ago, AraAragami said:

Food for thought.

Ehhh being a enterprise captain in ranked. All i can say is having all these BB's is going to be amazing.

the only ones with enough aa to actually have the potential to hurt my hanger is Kutuzov, north carolina, alabama, kidd. And north carolinas aa is kind meh. Just saying bismarcks will die so darn fast it will ve useless to play them

Sign in to follow this